On Tuesday, Ronaldo held talks with the manager, Erik ten Hag, over his future in the club. The Portuguese forward was joined by his agent, Jorge Mendes, expressed that he “wants to be released” from the club as he wishes to play in the Champions League. The 37-year-old was absent during United’s pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia and was said to have missed it due to family reasons, with the club accepting the explanation.
Mendes has been continuously pushing a move for Ronaldo, negotiating with Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid, despite both clubs turning down the opportunity to sign the forward. Ideally, Ronaldo wishes to move to a European club, with a move to the MLS of the Middle East only being done as an emergency. There have yet to be any major offers from any European side for the forward, with the club insisting that he is not for sale.
Ronaldo returned to Old Trafford last season following a spell with Italian side Juventus. During his 2021/22 campaign, the Portuguese captain scored 24 goals in 38 appearances across all competitions.
No changes yet for Cristiano Ronaldo situation. Manchester United insist he’s not for sale, Cristiano told ten Hag in the last 24h that he still wants to leave. 🚨🔴 #MUFC
His agent Jorge Mendes will try again to find a solution. Waiting strategy on, as last year with Juventus. pic.twitter.com/6CjzS8WSdA
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 27, 2022
In case you missed it, Sam Kerr became the first ever female footballer to grace the FIFA cover.