'Rolling Stone' Magazine Is Being Put up for Sale

The end of an era.

By
Music
2,973 Hypes 0 Comments

According to a New York Times report, Rolling Stone Magazine founder Jann Wenner and his son Gus Wenner have formally placed their iconic imprint up for sale as of Sunday. The news arrives after their company, Wenner Media sold 49% of Rolling Stone last year to a Singapore-based technology company, and now they’re looking to unload the remaining 51% controlling stake in order “to best position the brand for future growth.”

The magazine has been in circulation for nearly 50 years and has become the mainstay of music and pop culture. However, the magazine’s reputation took a tumultuous hit three years ago when a story published involving rape allegations against Phi Kapp Psi fraternity at the University of Virginia was later debunked. The fraternity would go on to sue Rolling Stone for defamation and were seeking $25 million, but would eventually reach a settlement with the magazine for $1.65 million this past June.

“I love my job, I enjoy it, I’ve enjoyed it for a long time,” Jann Wenner told the New York Times, “But letting go was just the smart thing to do,” he added.

You can head over to the New York Times website to check out the full interview.

Read Full Article

What to Read Next

The Internet's Steve Lacy Channels the Funk on New Single, "4real"
Music

The Internet's Steve Lacy Channels the Funk on New Single, "4real"

Thinking outside the box.

The 20 Biggest Money Making Actors at the U.S. Box Office
Entertainment

The 20 Biggest Money Making Actors at the U.S. Box Office

These top-notch Hollywood talents have helped studios earn big.

Japanese Camera Brand Yashica Is Teasing Its Comeback
Tech

Japanese Camera Brand Yashica Is Teasing Its Comeback

Bringing back some of its best-loved models.


A Look Inside the Gentle Monster x Places+Faces Pop-Up in Seoul
Fashion

A Look Inside the Gentle Monster x Places+Faces Pop-Up in Seoul

Exclusive apparel and intimate portraits.

adidas Drops Low-Key Colorways of Its ’70s-Inspired Haven Silhouette
Footwear

adidas Drops Low-Key Colorways of Its ’70s-Inspired Haven Silhouette

The retro runner gets a rework.

The UNDEFEATED x Nike Air Max 97 Gets a Cyberpunk-Inspired Editorial
Footwear

The UNDEFEATED x Nike Air Max 97 Gets a Cyberpunk-Inspired Editorial

A creative collaboration between 400ml and DEAL.

More ▾
 
Subscribe to our Newsletter

Gain access to exclusive interviews with industry creatives, think pieces, trend forecasts, guides and more.

By subscribing, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Help us serve you better

We appreciate your support in allowing HYPEBEAST ads, where we can share contents from the latest fashion, to those culturally relevant. In adding HYPEBEAST to your ad blocker's whitelist, ads on our sites will show while you continue to browse.