'PUBG Mobile' Brings in $3B USD in Revenue from Microtransactions

Two years after its original launch.

By
Gaming
2,244 Hypes 1 Comments

Chinese tech giant Tencent has just reached a new milestone with its free-to-play mobile version of PUBG, bringing in a lifetime revenue of over $3 billion USD from microtransactions alone in just the two years since its launch, according to a new report from research firm Sensor Tower.

The Coronavirus pandemic causing social distancing and lockdowns has contributed to players spending more on the mobile game, which made an estimated $1.3 billion USD so far in 2020, and $270 million USD in March alone, making it the highest month in the history of the game. The figures presented here include both the western version of the game, simply named PUBG Mobile, as well as a China-specific iteration called Game for Peace.

The biggest market for Tencent is unsurprisingly China, which generated a whopping $1.6 billion USD in microtransactions, marking a 52 percent stake. The United States comes in second, with Japan following in third place. iPhone users also seem to be spending more, with players of the iOS edition contributing 79 percent of the total spending, as opposed to just 21 percent for Android users via Google Play — a surprising statistic given that 65 percent of the 734 million global downloads are for Android systems, leaving just 35 percent of the players on iOS.

Elsewhere in gaming, EVO Online has now been canceled amid sexual abuse allegations against former president Joey Cuellar.

Read Full Article

What to Read Next

Netflix's 'Ultraman' Season 2 Trailer has Landed
Entertainment

Netflix's 'Ultraman' Season 2 Trailer has Landed

A new character is revealed.

Mini Swooshes and Bold Colors Dominate Nike's "Worldwide Pack" Collection
Footwear

Mini Swooshes and Bold Colors Dominate Nike's "Worldwide Pack" Collection

Featuring the Air Max 95, AM90, AM720, AM270, Air Force 1, and Daybreak silhouettes.

HOKA ONE ONE Introduces the Bondi L in "Dune/Oxford Tan"
Footwear

HOKA ONE ONE Introduces the Bondi L in "Dune/Oxford Tan"

A rich mix of cream-colored mesh, dusty suede and smooth leather panels.


Sublime and WACKO MARIA Link up for Vivid SS20 Capsule
Fashion

Sublime and WACKO MARIA Link up for Vivid SS20 Capsule

Marking the second project between the two labels.

1017 ALYX 9SM and Stüssy's Luxurious Denim Jacket Receives Wider Release
Fashion

1017 ALYX 9SM and Stüssy's Luxurious Denim Jacket Receives Wider Release

Crafted with Loro Piana’s soft cotton denim.

State Bicycle Co. Honors The Notorious B.I.G.'s Legendary Album 'Ready to Die'
Design

State Bicycle Co. Honors The Notorious B.I.G.'s Legendary Album 'Ready to Die'

Producing three fixed gear/single speed bicycles and a full apparel collection.

More ▾
 
Subscribe to our Newsletter

Gain access to exclusive interviews with industry creatives, think pieces, trend forecasts, guides and more.

By subscribing, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Help us serve you better

We appreciate your support in allowing HYPEBEAST ads, where we can share contents from the latest fashion, to those culturally relevant. By adding HYPEBEAST to your ad blocker's whitelist, ads on our sites will show while you continue to browse.