Mac DeMarco is entering the online lecture circuit with his web series, Advanced Studio Recording Techniques. The show was announced via an offbeat trailer, featuring a close-up of DeMarco’s face covered in vaseline.
A clip of his first episode, entitled “Building an Echo Chamber,” expands on what we can expect from the series as he talks about transforming an acoustic space into an echo or reverb chamber. The preview shows DeMarco explaining the repurposed concrete room he’s in and lists down the items needed to record and mix — the vaseline never leaving his face.
Advanced Studio Recording Techniques is set to run on Eternal Family, a platform billed as “an artist-run video membership experience and a place to try out new ideas, whether for “laughing” or for “education” or “inspiration.”” A monthly subscription is priced at $5 USD per month or $50 USD per year, and includes unlimited and ad-free access.
Director and DeMarco collaborator Cole Kush took to Instagram to share the announcement, revealing that 60% of the platform’s revenue goes to the creators and the remaining 40% to operations. “The goal is to create stable income and a place to try out ideas that can be self-produced and perhaps hard to pitch. More monthly users = more funds to create more shows and add apps for mobile & TV,” he wrote.
Watch the full trailer above.
Elsewhere in music, The Weeknd dropped three bonus tracks for After Hours.