Meta to Dedicate 20% of Next Year’s Spending to Building the Metaverse

Despite losing $9.4 billion USD on its Reality Labs in 2022.

Tech & Gadgets
5,071 Hypes 8 Comments

Despite experiencing a loss of $9.4 billion USD from Reality Labs during the first three-quarters of 2022 alone, Meta has reaffirmed its commitment to building the metaverse. The company has declared that it will trudge on by continuing to invest in Reality Labs in a new blog post entitled Why we still believe in the future from CTO and Head of Reality Labs Andrew Boswoth.

“Economic challenges across the world, combined with pressures on Meta’s core business, created a perfect storm of skepticism about the investments we’re making,” Bosworth writes in the introductory paragraphs, presumably referencing Reality Labs’ financial shortcomings.

He went on to cite the overall achievements of the company, noting that during Q3, “daily active users on Facebook were at an all-time high,” and citing positive engagement trends for both Instagram and WhatsApp.

“As also reflected in our Q3 results, about 80% of Meta’s overall investments support the core business, with the other 20% going toward Reality Labs,” Bosworth writes. “It’s a level of investment we believe makes sense for a company committed to staying at the leading edge of one of the most competitive and innovative industries on earth.”

Although Meta is losing money from Reality Labs, Bosworth points toward the company’s long-term vision, where advancements in mixed reality will ultimately lead to the replacement of hardware such as laptops with VR-capable equipment. According to the post, Meta aims to achieve that by continuously funding Reality Labs using 20% of its spending budget in 2023, proceeding with the awareness that they’ll likely lose money on the venture.

Bosworth also wrote about Meta’s goal to continue developing advanced AR glasses and build upon its decade-plus of research in the AI space.

In other tech news, TikTok will explain why it recommends certain ‘For You’ page content.

Read Full Article

What to Read Next

Rarely Seen Artwork From Ernie Barnes to Exhibit in LA This February
Art

Rarely Seen Artwork From Ernie Barnes to Exhibit in LA This February

Including an interior space designed by PLAYLAB.

The Air Jordan 9 Appears in "Light Olive"
Footwear

The Air Jordan 9 Appears in "Light Olive"

Putting a new spin on the OG “Olive” colorway.

Watch Phoebe Bridgers Cover “These Days” With Jack Antonoff, Matty Healy and More
Music

Watch Phoebe Bridgers Cover “These Days” With Jack Antonoff, Matty Healy and More

Performing at the Ally Coalition Talent Show to benefit LGBTQ+ youth.

FTMD. Engineers a Rainforest-Inspired Reebok Club C Collaboration
Footwear

FTMD. Engineers a Rainforest-Inspired Reebok Club C Collaboration

Lush green uppers are reminiscent of tree canopies and moisture-dependent vegetation.

atmos Presents New Balance's Lunar New Year Collection
Footwear

atmos Presents New Balance's Lunar New Year Collection

Featuring eight pairs of kicks to be released in January.


TikTok Will Explain Why It Recommends Certain ‘For You’ Page Content
Tech & Gadgets

TikTok Will Explain Why It Recommends Certain ‘For You’ Page Content

Informing users why they’re being shown a given video.

atmos and ASICS Cover the GEL-LYTE III in Bandana Prints
Footwear

atmos and ASICS Cover the GEL-LYTE III in Bandana Prints

Designed by Osaka-based reggae soundman, RED SPIDER.

Ferragamo's Pre-Fall 2023 Collection Is an Ode to La-La Land
Fashion

Ferragamo's Pre-Fall 2023 Collection Is an Ode to La-La Land

Western design codes reference Salvatore Ferragamo’s 1923 silent film, ’The Covered Wagon.’

Fly High With the Jeremy Scott x adidas Forum Wings 4.0 “Opal Pack”
Footwear

Fly High With the Jeremy Scott x adidas Forum Wings 4.0 “Opal Pack”

Hitting shelves in February 2023.

maharishi Looks to 2023 With All-New Pre-Spring Collection
Fashion 

maharishi Looks to 2023 With All-New Pre-Spring Collection

Inspired by a journey from Vietnam to the Himalayas.

More ▾
 
We got you covered. Don’t miss out on the latest news by signing up for our newsletters.

By subscribing, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.