The World Monuments Fund (WMF) just announced the cultural heritage sites largely at risk and in dire need of conservation efforts. A total of 25 historic establishments from 22 countries are on their radar. Among these locations is the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris that was nearly destroyed by a fire earlier this year, the Rapa Nui National Park in Chile (famously known as Easter Island) that serves as the home of the famous stone carvings, as well as the Bears Ears National Monument in Utah which was the focus of a legal dispute after Present Trump announced plans to drop environmental protections for the area.
“These remarkable sites demand sustainable, community-led solutions that bring people together and fuse conservation with social change,” said WMF Bénédicte de Montlaur, CEO, World Monuments Fund, to Artforum. “We are excited for the World Monuments Watch to kick start that impact.”
WMF has contributed over $110 million USD to historic sites. The locations currently on the list were handpicked from an independent panel of heritage experts, as per the art publication. View the 25 sites on the 2020 World Monuments Watch List below. Visit the World Monuments Fund’s website to learn more.
Elsewhere in art, teamLab Borderless will bring its immersive ‘Forest of Resonating Lamps’ installation to its new Shanghai space.
2020 World Monuments Watch List:
1. Koutammakou, Land of the Batammariba, Benin, and Togo
2. Ontario Place, Canada
3. Rapa Nui National Park, Chile
4. Alexan Palace, Egypt
5. Notre-Dame de Paris, France
6. Tusheti National Park, Georgia
7. Gingerbread Neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti
8. Historic Water Systems of the Deccan Plateau, India
9. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium, India
10. Mam Rashan Shrine, Iraq
11. Inari-yu Bathhouse, Japan
12. Iwamatsu District, Japan
13. Canal Nacional, Mexico
14. Choijin Lama Temple, Mongolia
15. Traditional Burmese Teak Farmhouses, Myanmar
16. Chivas and Chaityas of the Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
17. Anarkali Bazaar, Pakistan
18. Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru
19. Kindler Chapel, Pabianice Evangelical Cemetery, Poland
20. Courtyard Houses of Axerquía, Spain
21. Bennerley Viaduct, United Kingdom
22. Bears Ears National Monument, USA
23. Central Aguirre Historic District, USA
24. San Antonio Woolworth Building, USA
25. Traditional Houses in the Old Jewish Mahalla of Bukhara, Uzbekistan
View this post on Instagram
We’re excited to announce the 25 sites of the 2020 World Monuments Watch! From icons like Easter Island to lesser-known places like the San Antonio Woolworth Building, these sites marry great historical significance with contemporary social impact, and they need our help. Explore them all via the link in bio or visit wmf.org/2020watch.