Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
October 31, 2006 @ 02:03 AM
Ohphishul

I had know scoop on this movie, & knew nothing about it up until i checked a few sites out, has anyone saw the movie? Heres a review of what the critics, and fans thought movies.go.com/babel/d842947/drama
October 31, 2006 @ 07:04 AM
Tiffany Chan

we should make this man media-moderator
October 31, 2006 @ 09:09 AM
MOCAZEN

we should make this man media-moderator

HAHAHAHAHAAsuprised suprised
November 18, 2006 @ 09:26 AM
darkmatter

i thought this movie was great...the director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu also did another movie called AMORES PERROS that is sort of similar but still good....
November 18, 2006 @ 01:05 PM
Manos

The movie was pretty bad. It was long, drawn out, and really cliche. I expected as much after it was trashed at Cannes. This movie repeats the same style and theme of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu last 2 movies, Amores Peros and 21 Grams. Babel is the third and last installment of his trilogy.

Playing with timelines and illustrating how large the world is by focusing on connecting seemingly random characters were really interesting the first 2 times around. This time around Alejandro gives us a movie filled with one deminsional characters and scenerios that he forces to happen even though the viewer can logically see this would never happen in "real life". Example is that Brad Pitt's wife getting shot in the movie...the driver tells him it would take 4 hours to get to the nearest hospital. Instead Pitt is content waiting around 24 hours while he bickers with the US embassy to get a chopper to the town he is in. A town filled with cars.

The movie tries to run on the theme of language barriers and miscommunication(thus Babel). But it never really achieves it. It tries really hard in the story of the mute def japanease girl...but it's not really all that interesting. Alejandro gives us a bunch of cheap effects like muting the music from the point of view of the def girl while in the club...though a movie goer would of got the point with a simple facial expression.

The movie does have some really good and interesting moments. The brother who peeps on his sister was a good underlying story note..but not enough to hold together a segment. Even Garcia's character was really thinnly written but he does provide some light heartness and most likely the only eye catching moment of the whole movie(peta beware).

It seems like a lot of the directors who gave us some really well made and beatiful movies are really trying to hard recently. Guy Richie flopped with Revolver. Darrenovsky's Fountain was called a stinker by many of the Cannes critics.
January 27, 2007 @ 02:31 AM
clockwork416

i thought this movie was great...the director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu also did another movie called AMORES PERROS that is sort of similar but still good....

I love Babel but Amores Perros was waaay better

by the way Amores Perros>>>>>Crash! smile
January 27, 2007 @ 11:51 AM
Gutter Tech

This response will contain some spoilers. Fair warning.

To me, Babel played out exactly (as a previous poster stated) like Inarritu's previous features. To its credit, however, it was not nearly as unrelentingly bleak as 21 Grams. The performances were solid, also.

With that said, I didn't like it. I couldn't escape the feeling that I was watching a film that took itself way more seriously than it ever should have. Additionally, there were huge logical leaps that just threw me for a loop. How could an illegal immigrant housemaid rationalize taking two American children to Mexico and expect to cross back over without consequence?

This isn't the Inarritu with a chip on his shoulder, saving Mexican cinema with Amores Perros. This is an Inarritu who suddenly realized he is in a position to make a statement and, in his childlike eagerness, botched the whole thing. I don't think Babel is a bad film, just a shockingly average one.
January 28, 2007 @ 06:48 AM
retro_junkie

if i ever watched this show itd probably be only for that jap chick hah
January 29, 2007 @ 03:16 AM
SupremeXJesus

The movie was pretty bad. It was long, drawn out, and really cliche. I expected as much after it was trashed at Cannes. This movie repeats the same style and theme of Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu last 2 movies, Amores Peros and 21 Grams. Babel is the third and last installment of his trilogy.

Playing with timelines and illustrating how large the world is by focusing on connecting seemingly random characters were really interesting the first 2 times around. This time around Alejandro gives us a movie filled with one deminsional characters and scenerios that he forces to happen even though the viewer can logically see this would never happen in "real life". Example is that Brad Pitt's wife getting shot in the movie...the driver tells him it would take 4 hours to get to the nearest hospital. Instead Pitt is content waiting around 24 hours while he bickers with the US embassy to get a chopper to the town he is in. A town filled with cars.

The movie tries to run on the theme of language barriers and miscommunication(thus Babel). But it never really achieves it. It tries really hard in the story of the mute def japanease girl...but it's not really all that interesting. Alejandro gives us a bunch of cheap effects like muting the music from the point of view of the def girl while in the club...though a movie goer would of got the point with a simple facial expression.

The movie does have some really good and interesting moments. The brother who peeps on his sister was a good underlying story note..but not enough to hold together a segment. Even Garcia's character was really thinnly written but he does provide some light heartness and most likely the only eye catching moment of the whole movie(peta beware).

It seems like a lot of the directors who gave us some really well made and beatiful movies are really trying to hard recently. Guy Richie flopped with Revolver. Darrenovsky's Fountain was called a stinker by many of the Cannes critics.

This movie was in NO way bad. The thing I didnt like about it was that it really depressed me. The story was soo good, and you try filming a movie on 3 different continents with 3-4 languages being spoken, im really happy alejandro made it work. Also Im glad you didnt say this was just like crash but on a global stage blah blah blah. Little do people know, that haggis just coppied alejandros story telling, but put "race" into the mix and LA and he won an Academy award. BS haggis is a tool.

I do agree with the richie and darrenovsky comment, except richie isnt all that great of a director. Darrenovsky had a good movie going, but when brad (pitt) dropped out the budget of the movie got cut by more than half from about 80-90 million to 40ish. It also took the movie way too long to come together which lead to its demise.
February 6, 2007 @ 03:53 PM
tdot

This response will contain some spoilers. Fair warning.

To me, Babel played out exactly (as a previous poster stated) like Inarritu's previous features. To its credit, however, it was not nearly as unrelentingly bleak as 21 Grams. The performances were solid, also.

With that said, I didn't like it. I couldn't escape the feeling that I was watching a film that took itself way more seriously than it ever should have. Additionally, there were huge logical leaps that just threw me for a loop. How could an illegal immigrant housemaid rationalize taking two American children to Mexico and expect to cross back over without consequence?

This isn't the Inarritu with a chip on his shoulder, saving Mexican cinema with Amores Perros. This is an Inarritu who suddenly realized he is in a position to make a statement and, in his childlike eagerness, botched the whole thing. I don't think Babel is a bad film, just a shockingly average one.

Actually, the housemaid had legal papers. They would have crossed over just fine if Gael Garcia Bernal wasnt drunk and tried to run away.

But overall, i agree with most of you. It has a very similar style to Amores Perros, but doesnt quite match it. Still, I liked the movie..
February 10, 2007 @ 06:36 AM
csn maghr

it has been said that the movie was pretty similiar to his other productions, amores perros and 21 grams which is true imo. it's like he was shooting a triology about this kinda subject. people being connected and stuff.
i know i'm good at expressing myself on forums -.-

whatev, what i really liked was the acting. most of all the little moroccan, youssef. he isn't even an actor (none of the moroccans playing in there are actually professionals, only the police officer). the scene where his brother gets shot andhe walks towards the shooting police with his arms over his head telling them to shoot him and get an ambulance for his brother.
that ish was moving.

Please login first to reply.