Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
November 8, 2010 @ 03:15 PM
sjem

The Avaricious chose Boy A (2007, John Crowley) as this weeks film. It's an adaption of Jonathan Trigell's 2004 novel of the same name.

IMDB Plot Summary:

A young man is released from prison after many years and given a new identity in a new town. Aided by a supervisor who becomes like a father to him he finds a job and friends and hesitantly starts a relationship with a compassionate girl. But the secret of the heinous crime he committed as a boy weighs down on him, and he learns that it is not so easy to escape your past.

Trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaSQNUt9H4

Online Link

www.alluc.org/movies/watch-boy-a-2007-online/46927.html

Post any of your thoughts and opinions on the film here and I hope this thread's a bit more active than the one for Mr. Nobody.

Thanks.
November 8, 2010 @ 07:17 PM
C_Augustus_O

i picked this movie because it really spoke to me, not not gonna lie i went into it like idk bout this one not knowing how amazing it was but i was glad i watched it, probably one of my fav movie.

Shout outs to the Web Head

https://twitter.com/#!/C_Augustus_O

November 8, 2010 @ 07:37 PM
dalek

Added to my Netflix queue.

I tried watching Mr Nobody, but I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes. I'll check it out eventually though.
November 9, 2010 @ 10:40 PM
C_Augustus_O

bump, really wanna hear what you guys think of the movie

November 10, 2010 @ 04:42 PM
Constellations

ill probably watch it tomorrow

\X/

November 10, 2010 @ 05:26 PM
sjem

^Same.
November 10, 2010 @ 09:22 PM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

SPOILER: don't read it if u havent watched. I'm just going to write about the significant events in the movie.

Eric [Andrew Garfield who was also in The Social Network] finally freed from the jail and is now ready to get back in the society.

He's having some mixed feelings about this since he is bit akward and less experienced considering the fact that he spent good amount of times in the jail.

Nevertheless with the helpful guidance of social worker Terry who is a closest person in this "outer world" and almost like a father figure, Eric felt much safe n started to work. Even having a girlfriend which he has never had before.

All things are good and here comes the shit storm. The media tries to expose this "ruthless killer" roaming freely in the society makes everyone to turn their back on him. It's almost like a witchhunt. Even his girlfriend doesn't trust him.

Even though it wasnt Eric who committed the crime. Eric becomes the public 1 and there's nowhere for him to escape or find a safe place. His past continues to haunt him.

ONCE AGAIN ERIC IS ALL ALONE and .....

*Reflection/Thoughts

+I was surprised to see Terry the Social worker's son was so fuckin' jelous of Eric. After all, it just seemed like he just needed a someone he can talk to, share feelings with, and a mentor. Kind of sad, I felt bad for him.

With that being said, I have had always concerned with the break up of family and its effects on everyone especially in the US and UK. It's crucial to have positive people who dearly care/love you. Eric, Philip [the killer] and Terry's son are all victims of unstable family after all. Philip was molested by his own older brother.

+ I don't blame Eric nor should he be criticized for his last action imo.

It's really sad that the society won't accept Eric for his "crime" which he committed when he was like what 10? But at the same time, it's very obvious for other people to be fear and try to hunt down people like Eric and is understandable. Still personally if the person served enough time I think they should be given 2nd chance without cold stares n harsh attitudes especially if the crime was comitted when they were minors. Well only selective people based on their mental health and etc.

+ I also believe people change. For better or worse, I won't be the same person as I am right now in 5 years later on or even 3 years ago back when i was in high school. After all we're only humans. We became the way we are today through our past mistakes, achievements, and experiences. It's easy for people to hate Eric for his mistake in the past, but he shouldn't be forever judged or be haunted by this. We grow up eventually, for better or worse. In Eric's case, it turned out to be better cuz he was a productive member of society who poses no threats to anyone.

+ This was definitely worth watching and it was different kind of "COMING OF AGE" movie I've never expected it before. Also left me thinking for awhile.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOAgV2T5zrE&feature=related
I thought this was fuckin' golden n hilarious LOL

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

November 15, 2010 @ 03:27 AM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

damn nobody watched this.

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

November 15, 2010 @ 08:56 AM
Joweee

i watched this two weeks before it was chosen
November 15, 2010 @ 11:09 AM
sjem

I'm gonna watch it tonight definitely, went to watch it the other day but my internet was being shit.
November 15, 2010 @ 02:10 PM
dalek

I just got it in the mail today. Gonna watch it tonight.
November 15, 2010 @ 03:04 PM
sjem

Really good movie, highlighted irony and the whole "not in my back yard" attitude a lot of the public have. The main thing that I thought showed this was how Eric's (let's call him that) boss at first said he was all for giving second chances and even though he'd been rehabilitated/done his time, when he found out what he'd actually done he completely changed his attitude.

Overall it was a really good film imo, supported by some great performances. I'll give this thread a few more days before I post the next film's thread on Wednesday probably.
November 15, 2010 @ 09:18 PM
dalek

Wow... this was awesome. Best movie picked so far (that I hadn't already seen). Thanks for the pick!
November 16, 2010 @ 12:43 AM
C_Augustus_O

Glad you guys enjoyed it

November 16, 2010 @ 01:46 PM
GoRubio

Saw this a while ago. Definitely a great moive. Should watch it a couple of times through. Kind of a little depressing to me, but still, hits a good spot.
Lol at the Nike AM90 "Escapes" in the beginning, even though there was an actual purpose behind it.
November 16, 2010 @ 01:52 PM
C_Augustus_O

^ didnt catch that, good eye

November 18, 2010 @ 04:19 PM
sjem

Next thread will go up tomorrow, sorry for the delay.
November 19, 2010 @ 10:39 AM
GoRubio

Yeah, the hypebeast in me couldnt resist when i first saw it. We are in the hypebeast forums as well.
What's weird to me is how everyone that has reviewed this calls it some type of coming of age story. Does anyone besides me disagree with it? I kind of get what they're saying about it, but its more of a self-reflection video. Someone trying to find himself, not growing up and showing his life. I guess its because when I hear coming of age, I think of Great Expectations, and base it off of that. Idk, I guess it just one of my dumb thoughts.
November 19, 2010 @ 03:17 PM
dalek

This is definitely not a coming-of-age story. Stand By Me is a coming-of age story. This is the story of a kid thrown into an adult world filled with things he has no idea about. And he has to do it, basically, on his own. All the things that we discovered as a pre-teen/teenager, he's experiencing for the first time in his mid-20s. He may be physically mature, but you catch glimpses of the boy still trapped inside.

Please login first to reply.