February 19, 2014 @ 09:27 AM
chief

A couple of my friends shoot time lapses and they want to make a logo for their website and they wanted me to help them out. This is a very rough draft of an idea I came up with (e.g. unfinished colors, mountain, shading, etc.). I wanted some feedback before I decided to try and finish the rest of it. The name of their to be site is west coast time lapses, so I wanted to incorporate a mt. rainier lookalike. I really like the time lapse concept of the hour glass pouring into a mountain, but I don't really like how stagnant it is, or probably will end up turning out. Anybody have any ideas how I could make it a little more distinct/abstract? My other idea is a mountain with a sun or moon in a few cycles set over the mountain to portray time passage

update:

•••

February 19, 2014 @ 05:52 PM
eugeneME

Love the concept, Chief! Try to get rid of the structure that is holding the glass part. The sand pouring down and the figure 8 shape should be more than enough to convey an hour glass. I like the style of the mountains, try to treat the sand the same way. I think this will read better in 2D, oppose to 3D since this will be going on top of video, so try without the gradients. 
February 19, 2014 @ 06:05 PM
closetdrakefan

I feel like that logo is too obvious and needs more simplicity, logos are most effective when they're subtle but direct. also, I dont think that a hourglass represents time lapses well, even though it is the "passing of time" 
February 19, 2014 @ 10:39 PM
chief

Love the concept, Chief! Try to get rid of the structure that is holding the glass part. The sand pouring down and the figure 8 shape should be more than enough to convey an hour glass. I like the style of the mountains, try to treat the sand the same way. I think this will read better in 2D, oppose to 3D since this will be going on top of video, so try without the gradients. 
Yeah I was thinking it would look better in 2d as well, but I wanted to see how it looked in 3d. Needless to say I'll try to switch it back lol. Also what did you mean by treating the sand the same as the mountain, just don't add gradient? Thanks for the input

•••

February 21, 2014 @ 09:03 AM
chief

^
I know. I thought he wanted a design at first, but turns out he actually did want an actual logo, which I will proceed to make

•••

February 21, 2014 @ 04:33 PM
bnj

heeeeey that got turned around very nicely! 

I'd love to see how it would look sans-gradients and in 1 color, but all in all good job turning this around. 

http://www.benjaminescobar.com

March 27, 2014 @ 09:04 PM
eugeneME

Yeah I was thinking it would look better in 2d as well, but I wanted to see how it looked in 3d. Needless to say I'll try to switch it back lol. Also what did you mean by treating the sand the same as the mountain, just don't add gradient? Thanks for the input
The style of the mountains vs the style of the sand are different. The mountains are in 2D using shapes to illustrate depth vs the the sand looking 3D due to the gradients. So I guess try removing the gradient. This will give the whole thing a much more cohesive look and feel. The same thing applies to the cage and maybe the glass.
June 5, 2014 @ 08:22 AM
Thomas Habr

I don't really like the gradient on it, just make it flat 2D.

Thomas Habr // Prague based designer - www.instagram.com/ThomasHabr , http://thomazhabr.tk/

Please login first to reply.