Apple‘s HomeKit is a certification program that requires device makers to go through rigorous testing methods to make sure that the products live up to Apple’s high standards. So far, five products have been given the Apple HomeKit green light. The Apple MFi (made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) program and HomeKit certification ensures that the product works seamlessly with iOS devices, from easy connection to a perfectly working complementing app. And for the first time, Siri connection will be available for these devices (Siri was largely closed off for developers prior to HomeKit). Apple’s vision to create a “smart home” begins with the HomeKit, and although these beginning devices are still simple, the potential for innovation is endless. As technology advances, developers will begin creating more products aimed at enhancing our homes and lives, but only time will tell what the next revolutionary product will be.
- Ecobee, a WiFi connected thermostat
- Elgato, a line of sensors that detect and collect air quality, humidity, air pressure and temperature levels.
- iHOME‘s SmartPlug, a device that lets you turn on/off appliances through your iOS device.
- Lutron, a bridge device that connect the HomeKit device with a lighting system
- Insteon, a bridge device that connects home automation devices with HomeKit