[OFFICIAL] Fitness, Nutrition, and Supplement Discussion Thread

September 07, 2011 @ 00:13:53
so i recently started to go to the gym and i literally mean recently, this is like my 3rd week...
i guess im just fishing for tips and feedback about my current routine since i dont know too much about the science of all this...
my weekly routine right now is:
M: chest (flat bench, incline, decline, chest fly)
T: biceps (standing curls and concentration curls with dumbells and bars, and hammer curls
triceps (i do two exercises with dumbells, i forget what theyre called. two more with rope)
W:shoulders (dumbell raises, dumbell shoulder press, this thing with the bar)
Th: biceps, triceps again...not sure if good though..

all my sets pretty much consist of me starting at 14 reps with my beginning weight, then reducing by 2 reps but adding 10 lbs every set. i end at 8 reps (i think thats the standard)

i run for 30 mins on m,w,th,sat (no real explanation why i run those days)
i also do abs on the days i run but im not really sure about effective ab workouts. i just do the situps, crunches, reverse crunches, bicycle thing, flutter kick thing, then end with plank

i didnt put up what i do for my back but i usually hit the back on mondays, i just dont really know what to do for my back so i just go on random machines and do at least 4 workouts...i need help on the back hah.

im 5'9 and 170 lbs. but i dont look 170, cos im like skinny fat i guess..

thanks guys, sorry for the long post.

grizzly on SS

September 07, 2011 @ 00:29:00
^ No need for arms twice a week especially if u are doing them on a full day.. And u dont have a leg day either.. Try this for a basic week routine cause u dont want to go in there not knowing what u are doing.. Also dont need to do every workout posted

M: Chest day(your workouts are good)
T: Back( Bent over rows w/barbell, t bar row, one arm row, Lat pull down, pull ups, close grip pull down, row, deadlifts)
W. Legs(squats, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, stiff leg deadlift, lunges, calf raises)
TH: Shoulders( side raises, military press, shoulder press, arnold press, shrugs, front raises)
F: Arms( you get the idea for arms in your routine)

Weekend rest or if u want to rest during the week switch it out with saturday

Cardio 3 days week is good, throw a couple ab circuits in a couple days
September 07, 2011 @ 12:38:09
edit: how long does a 5lb tub of ON last you guys? assuming you only drink it post-workouts about 4 times a week?.

A 5lb tub lasted me about I think 4-5 months, also put into consideration I drank it in the morning sometimes to supplement for breakfast.

Also as for drinking protein pre-workout is kind of useless imo, because there's no reason to since you're going to drink it after the workout anyway.
September 07, 2011 @ 13:03:38
^ nah man, pre workout is one of the most important meals of the day when lifting.. Some people will eat a regular meal if they have time but most dont so they grab a protein shake which is perfect.. Like myself, i used to use my breakfast as a pre workout meal cause i used to go to the gym in the morning but now go later in the day, so i drink a protein shake before hand..
September 07, 2011 @ 15:01:03
Just ordered some ON double chocolate, there wasn't any regular chocolate so i just went for the double smokeyface.

edit: how long does a 5lb tub of ON last you guys? assuming you only drink it post-workouts about 4 times a week?.

Dbl chocolate is alright. Regular chocolate is better imo.

5lb tub usually last me for about a month or two. I rather eat real food doe.
September 07, 2011 @ 22:12:48
^ No need for arms twice a week especially if u are doing them on a full day.. And u dont have a leg day either.. Try this for a basic week routine cause u dont want to go in there not knowing what u are doing.. Also dont need to do every workout posted

M: Chest day(your workouts are good)
T: Back( Bent over rows w/barbell, t bar row, one arm row, Lat pull down, pull ups, close grip pull down, row, deadlifts)
W. Legs(squats, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, stiff leg deadlift, lunges, calf raises)
TH: Shoulders( side raises, military press, shoulder press, arnold press, shrugs, front raises)
F: Arms( you get the idea for arms in your routine)

Weekend rest or if u want to rest during the week switch it out with saturday

Cardio 3 days week is good, throw a couple ab circuits in a couple days

alright imma give it a shot cos that sounds good and its a lot more thought out
appreciate the advice man!
hitting the gym is pretty intimidating without a plan so this'll help me out a lot

grizzly on SS

September 07, 2011 @ 23:04:59
I'm 5'10 175lbs I look pretty fit mostly in the upper body area, this summer I really got into working out I want to gain like 20lbs by New Years. Anyone have any diets and routines I should follow. Also what is the best sneaker for running?
September 07, 2011 @ 23:08:53
I'm 5'10 175lbs I look pretty fit mostly in the upper body area, this summer I really got into working out I want to gain like 20lbs by New Years. Anyone have any diets and routines I should follow. Also what is the best sneaker for running?

If you can deal with the look, Vibram 5 Fingers are supposed to be really really good because barefoot running is better for your legs, knees, and back and if you learn to not land heavily on the heels of your feet, they rape your calves.

FPM - MUCKFATH

September 09, 2011 @ 00:47:05
Protein helps repair your muscle for muscle growth.. Whey protein has also been proven to help people burn fat as well! People drink it all different times BUT always drink right after working out.. Myself, i have 2 Whey shakes during the day and a casein shake before bed.. Casein Protein is a slower digesting protein reason u drink it at night time while sleeping.. I recommend ON protein supplements, i think its one of or even the best proteins with other nutrients..

I'm thinking of getting ON 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein double chocolate since it seems most people are getting it, and I've read good shit about it.

Is it ok if I have just the shake itself for breakfast plus a fruit? I don't have a lot of time to prepare an actual meal because of school.
I usually workout in the evening then go to sleep an hour afterwards. Is it still ok to drink the whey protein post workout since there's only an hour before I go to bed? The casein protein sounds like the appropriate one, but I can't really afford two different types of protein supplements right now.
September 09, 2011 @ 01:13:05
^ U can have a shake for breakfast but be sure to eat around 2 hours later... But i suggest waking up half hour earlier than usual, cook up some eggs real quick then eat em before leaving.. Also if u are working out then going to bed, whey isnt going to be your first choice, u should use casein cause whey is a fast acting protein.. Gym right before bed isnt the best option but if u have to do it then do it..
September 09, 2011 @ 04:16:19
Lol workout whenever you want take a protein shake whenever it doesn't really matter. It shouldn't be this hard to take protein smh. Also, if you wanna gain weight eat more its that simple. If you wanna lose weight eat less.

If you wanna get ripped but not to big go fuck youself faggot.
September 09, 2011 @ 17:00:22
Originally posted by Inactive User

Holy shit. I been working out everyday and I usually do the same workouts, but I know thats not good for me. This shit inspired me to really step it up and try new things so I can really get cut.
September 10, 2011 @ 13:21:43
What do y'all think about MRPs? I'm on the go most of the time because of work, and preparing meals beforehand is a goddamn hassle. I'm considering getting Optimum Whey & Oats as a solution.
September 10, 2011 @ 13:41:02
Lol workout whenever you want take a protein shake whenever it doesn't really matter. It shouldn't be this hard to take protein smh. Also, if you wanna gain weight eat more its that simple. If you wanna lose weight eat less.

If you wanna get ripped but not to big go fuck youself faggot.

ya. i sware people ask about what/how many protein shakes they should have before having even stepped foot into a gym ever in their lives
September 10, 2011 @ 17:01:17
I've been working out for four months now fyi
September 10, 2011 @ 18:50:39
Alright i got a small problem not too sure what to do.
My problem is that my left arm is COMPLETELY and noticably smaller then my right. and when i workout my left has some trouble keeping up. and by keeping up i mean lasting the duration of my workouts.
So should i keep on lifting to gain muscle so my arm will somehow catch up( and yeah i will add extra sets to my left armor) Or should i try to tone out that way my right gets toned nad my left will hopefully gain muscle? idk smh
September 11, 2011 @ 00:31:40
what will happen if i stop taking creatine?
September 11, 2011 @ 15:48:36

Inactive User

back day
come at me brahs

September 11, 2011 @ 16:46:19
On your Bruce Lee

Buffalo Bills till I die.

September 11, 2011 @ 21:14:02
I don't know if this is the right to ask this question but im planning to buy some running shoes thats below $100.
I fucked up my toes cause I've been running with my vans everytime I jog.( recommend not to try)
I just want to ask which brand is better Nike or new balance?

if you recommend any shoes that's good just PM me . ok thanks and have a good day.

September 11, 2011 @ 23:36:48
^ Nike Free runs.
September 12, 2011 @ 16:17:54
[QUOTE=Corkscrew
September 12, 2011 @ 17:19:54
Holy shit. I been working out everyday and I usually do the same workouts, but I know thats not good for me. This shit inspired me to really step it up and try new things so I can really get cut.

and why exactly is doing the same workouts not good for you?
September 12, 2011 @ 17:23:10
^ doing the same workout routine over and over, will make you plateau... Its always good to stick with a good routine for awhile then switch it up for a bit so your muscles dont get used to the same thing over and over again... U can always go back to it after abit but never just keep doing the samething over and over.. Reason i always try something different every 3-4 months..
September 12, 2011 @ 17:28:19

Inactive User

September 12, 2011 @ 17:39:52
^ doing the same workout routine over and over, will make you plateau... Its always good to stick with a good routine for awhile then switch it up for a bit so your muscles dont get used to the same thing over and over again... U can always go back to it after abit but never just keep doing the samething over and over.. Reason i always try something different every 3-4 months..

lolwat

idk what you've been reading on the bodybuilding forums, but muscle confusion doesn't exist bro
September 12, 2011 @ 19:26:01
it does.. not because i read it somewhere because ive experienced it. your username says it all

broke thru a huge plateau today, before today i could do 3 reps of xxx weight on the bench today i hit 5 reps
September 12, 2011 @ 19:49:36

Inactive User

Just the mental aspect of doing the same damn thing over and over week in and week out is enough to reason to change your routine... but what do I know? I'm just a Google Warrior.
September 12, 2011 @ 20:07:21

Inactive User

i broke through all my plateaus by taking a week off from the gym after like 6 months straight. ya boi came back stronger than ever
September 12, 2011 @ 20:43:02
yeah brah, i feel like my arms are gettin too used to normal dumbbell curls, so i'mma switch things up and lift bricks instead

muscles won't know what hit em
Please login first to reply.
x