July 24, 2013 @ 01:36 AM
FailedPrayer

HB fam, I'm in a bit of a #1stworldproblem rut.

Sparknotes:
- I graduated from college just a few months ago and have solid internship experience in finance.
- My current full-time job pays pretty well for entry-level ($60k + $10k bonus), but the position is very dead-end (boring work).
- I'm still looking/applying/talking to people who work where I want to work, but this economy is shit and there are no positions open.
- I'm definitely grateful to have a job.

Questions:
1.) Would you guys feel fucked up if you left your current job just a few months in (<1 year) to take another job?
2.) Would you do an internship instead of a full-time job that pays?

I know there are some older folks here who have careers, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks, fam.
July 24, 2013 @ 01:59 AM
mackness

Response to 1.) I wouldn't feel fucked up leaving a temporary full time job to pursue my 'dream' career or further advance towards it

Response to 2.) If it was a paid internship I would consider it, but definitely no for an unpaid

"mack you get a pass for wearing female pants i aint even gonna ether you anymore" Powercum http://jnmcknss.tumblr.com/

July 24, 2013 @ 02:05 AM
Villain™

If you're worried about leaving that job prior to getting this one, try getting the job before you quit. Once you get that job, then quit the other one. Keeps you safe.

$mart $tunnaz, $avage Life. SS x SL

July 24, 2013 @ 02:21 AM
FailedPrayer

Thanks for the advice, mackness/DO$E.

I forgot to add: I'm also located in NYC, will be working around 60-70 hours/week. I don't want to think too far ahead, but I just want to keep my shit in check.
July 24, 2013 @ 02:21 AM
Dino Spumoni

I don't know where to begin. Is the internship at your ideal workplace? Because then it might be worth taking that over the full time job. Otherwise, take the latter and don't be afraid to pursue other opportunities. As long as you're respectful and the people there like you I doubt they'll be mad at you for leaving. And if they are, fuck 'em. Oh and btw, starting at $60k + $10k bonus is better than decent, so don't take it for granted.
July 24, 2013 @ 02:33 AM
REVS

I'd have to go with Dino, an entry level position starting at 60k + the bonus isn't bad at all.  

You said it yourself, the economy is in the shitter as far as jobs go, so I wouldn't pass it up. 

I'm studying finance right now, I'd kill to already have my degree and have a boring desk job that starts at 60k. 

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

July 24, 2013 @ 06:28 AM
kbos

Why not stack some ends and then fuck around and advance your life in other directions once you have a financial cushion? On the real just don't burn any bridges and do what you gotta do.
July 24, 2013 @ 06:32 AM
It's Only Hype

Why not stack some ends and then fuck around and advance your life in other directions once you have a financial cushion? On the real just don't burn any bridges and do what you gotta do.
I was just about to say that
July 24, 2013 @ 07:29 PM
dmwalking

I would not feel bad about leaving a job for something better.  My labor is my property and I can do with it what I want.  They wanted me, I wanted money, now I want to leave for a better opportunity. That's my choice. Downside: I wouldn't recommend putting that job on your resume unless you worked there for at LEAST 6 months.  It'll look bad on you.  Jobs want to hire long term.  Having a resume looking like you bounce around will make them look to someone who has more longevity. 

No I wouldn't leave a paying job for an internship unless I have a decent year's salary saved up to hold me over or some sort of income from another source. I understand the role of internships, but they're BS IMO.  Just taking advantage of people's hopes and dream.  Free labor ain't cool. 

Without specifics I can't really give better advice. But my suggestion is to get money. 

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

July 24, 2013 @ 07:34 PM
shnoosetheboose

1. Naw, can't let yourself be stuck in a place with little opportunity, just make sure if you break off it's in a good manner.
2. Depends, if it's an internship where you are hoping to get a job, then possibly look into it but prepare to struggle with money a bit more. If not, I'd think it'd be better to have a good job on a resume, plus 60K and bonuses is pretty good pay so it might be worth keeping for now and being vigilant of openings at better places.
July 24, 2013 @ 08:14 PM
tRick

I feel like if you switch to a different job, its still going to be entry-level and boring and probably not pay that well.

So Imma say to stack your bread and see about the advancement possibilities in the company. If you find that there's no road upward, then use that stacked bread to give you a good amount of time in transition.

Better to end up with a nice amount of money saved and resume worthy experience than a record of immediately quitting when you deem a job as "boring."
July 29, 2013 @ 09:45 PM
ManyHenny

I don't know where to begin. Is the internship at your ideal workplace? Because then it might be worth taking that over the full time job. Otherwise, take the latter and don't be afraid to pursue other opportunities. As long as you're respectful and the people there like you I doubt they'll be mad at you for leaving. And if they are, fuck 'em. Oh and btw, starting at $60k + $10k bonus is better than decent, so don't take it for granted.
+9000

60k starting out is a lot more than other jobs pay, homie. Let those checks come in and keep looking. Definitely don't fuck up at your job either.
July 29, 2013 @ 11:34 PM
zzzboy

dude do NOT give up your job opportunity.  experience means everything in finance.  searching for a new job sucks.  just work for a year or two then bounce.
August 6, 2013 @ 02:15 AM
FailedPrayer

Started last week and it's fucking worse than I thought.

I learned everything in a matter of days and I've optimized/shortened all the processes. Everyday is a simple click-and-produce. Even my boss jokingly said I could do his job for him.

I'm still applying to other jobs, but strangely enough, I'm just not attracted to finance anymore. The only time I was ever happy was when I was working in fashion.
August 7, 2013 @ 03:21 AM
ManyHenny

Damn, I know how you feel.

I think the best thing right now would be to talk to as many people as you can. Get on phone calls/coffee meetings with people during your lunch break.

Obviously, don't let your boss/colleagues know, but if something better comes along, take it.
August 7, 2013 @ 04:05 PM
jaeyoung

I would work there for the first year and see. Work is work and its going to get boring but if it pays well then get that $ and job experience. When you feel the need to pursue somewhere else to work then go look but make sure you got that backup cash just incase.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I interned at a finance company with an amazing pay but the most boring work. This is why I avoided business fields.
August 7, 2013 @ 05:46 PM
Brian@ONLY

60k is nothing when you compare it to 60-70 hours a week

i'm more in the range of 70k at 40-45hours ;)
August 7, 2013 @ 08:39 PM
dmwalking

lol this nigga just couldn't resist flexin. LOL.  Props though. In this economy, you're def amongst the the blessed.

August 9, 2013 @ 12:42 PM
Brian@ONLY

lol this nigga just couldn't resist flexin. LOL.  Props though. In this economy, you're def amongst the the blessed.
no flexin homie

i actually try to steer college kids away from the 'finance' flash and bling. 60k is a nice round number coming out of college, especially when they tout the 'starting salary' but they don't tell you that you on the books from 8am-8pm which basically means you're all back office routing paper work. 

i make 70k in education (nothing to do with ONLY anymore) and it's rewarding in it that I educate the youth, perpetuate a learning environment, and work nearly half the hours of thirsty niggas in finance who slide their corporate cards at del frisco's. 

Seriously, forget what any FINANCE person tells you, you'll be putting yourself into 3-5 years worth of 70 hour weeks to scratch nearly 100k if you don't burn out by then. A career isn't a short period time where you make a maximum amount of money.  A career is a long term, steady, consistent, and faithful type of work.  Seriously compare the ideology of both, what's short term with quick gain...drug dealing maybe?

Finance is a dime a dozen, know that, but if you think what I'm saying is dumb ask yourself when you try to change profession's in your late 20s/early 30s - it's not easy.
August 9, 2013 @ 12:57 PM
edubbb

It's just common sense my dude. Keep the job you have, keep your eyes open for others. Play the game. You find a job you like, and they like you, tell them how much you get paid at your current job and to beat that. If they actually want you they will, if they don't then no big deal.
August 9, 2013 @ 06:58 PM
Black Donald Trump

i wouldn't feel bad, it happens all the time and they should understand its just business, its very likely any of your employers would do the exact same thing if they had the opportunity. definitely would not take an internship over a full-time gig, especially for the salary you specified which is really pretty good.
August 9, 2013 @ 11:02 PM
dmwalking

no flexin homie

i actually try to steer college kids away from the 'finance' flash and bling. 60k is a nice round number coming out of college, especially when they tout the 'starting salary' but they don't tell you that you on the books from 8am-8pm which basically means you're all back office routing paper work. 

i make 70k in education (nothing to do with ONLY anymore) and it's rewarding in it that I educate the youth, perpetuate a learning environment, and work nearly half the hours of thirsty niggas in finance who slide their corporate cards at del frisco's. 

Seriously, forget what any FINANCE person tells you, you'll be putting yourself into 3-5 years worth of 70 hour weeks to scratch nearly 100k if you don't burn out by then. A career isn't a short period time where you make a maximum amount of money.  A career is a long term, steady, consistent, and faithful type of work.  Seriously compare the ideology of both, what's short term with quick gain...drug dealing maybe?

Finance is a dime a dozen, know that, but if you think what I'm saying is dumb ask yourself when you try to change profession's in your late 20s/early 30s - it's not easy.
Yeah, teaching isn't very lucrative all over the country though.  NY pays well. But it's not like that everywhere. 

You're more of an exception, not the rule. 

August 9, 2013 @ 11:20 PM
smartmonkey

I switched my major to finance. Care to give some insight on some career options after college? I know with the whole financial crisis and such, it'll be hell landing a decent job.

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

August 9, 2013 @ 11:24 PM
suparise71

suspended

HB fam, I'm in a bit of a #1stworldproblem rut.

Sparknotes:
- I graduated from college just a few months ago and have solid internship experience in finance.
- My goal is in finance covering consumer/retail companies.
- My full-time finance job starts soon.
- It pays pretty well for entry-level ($60k + $10k bonus), but the position is very dead-end (boring work).
- I'm still looking/applying/talking to people who work where I want to work, but this economy is shit and there are no positions open.
- I'm definitely grateful to have a job; I interned at this bank last summer, so I know exactly what I'll be doing full-time.

Questions:
1.) Would you guys feel fucked up if you left your current job just a few months in (<1 year) to take another job?
2.) Would you do an internship instead of a full-time job that pays?

I know there are some older folks here who have careers, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks, fam.

- Tracy Jackson

https://twitter.com/tracyjackson71

August 20, 2013 @ 01:40 AM
FailedPrayer

I gotta be honest with you, HB fam.

Despite all the boredom in my day-to-day, the only upside is that check going into my account.

I feel like I'm only looking forward to copping clothes/spending recklessly to get my mind off things. Just lying to myself.
August 20, 2013 @ 08:10 AM
powerball

I gotta be honest with you, HB fam.

Despite all the boredom in my day-to-day, the only upside is that check going into my account.

I feel like I'm only looking forward to copping clothes/spending recklessly to get my mind off things. Just lying to myself.
not a lot of people have fun while making money. gotta make the best of your situation and be grateful you have a job in the first place. keep working hard, be open-minded, and if you truly are depressed and hate working there after a year, find a new career and start fresh. at least you'll have the experience on your resume in case you want to go back to a career in finance.
September 7, 2013 @ 12:15 AM
FailedPrayer

not a lot of people have fun while making money. gotta make the best of your situation and be grateful you have a job in the first place. keep working hard, be open-minded, and if you truly are depressed and hate working there after a year, find a new career and start fresh. at least you'll have the experience on your resume in case you want to go back to a career in finance.
Thanks for the advice, powerball.

The issue is that I'm not really getting any transferable skills at my current job. What I want to do =/= what I'm doing now.

I've been applying to SF/Chicago/Boston, but my family is pressuring me to stay here in NYC.
September 7, 2013 @ 12:51 AM
Vancouver

Stick with it until you're 100% ready to take the plunge. If you're gonna get in the water you gotta jump in, there's no tiptoeing that shit. 100% commitment and confidence or else you'll be wasting your time just like how you'd be wasting your time driving to and from work, getting ready in the morning, and working 40 hours a week doing some bullshit you hate so you can have money to be happy on the weekends when you cop the latest overpriced Visvim joint. 

A lot of successful people quit really good jobs and dropped out of top schools to pursue their "real passion". Not only did they end up even more successful than they "should" have been, but they are much happier. You just gotta find the right balance between happiness and fulfillment at work and in your private life. Whether that ends up as jacking off on webcam doing some gay4pay making millions then flying in your private jet to go to Paris for dinner or working at some average bakery baking cakes and coming home to bake some more cakes cause that's what you do. 
September 17, 2013 @ 01:56 AM
FailedPrayer

Stick with it until you're 100% ready to take the plunge. If you're gonna get in the water you gotta jump in, there's no tiptoeing that shit. 100% commitment and confidence or else you'll be wasting your time just like how you'd be wasting your time driving to and from work, getting ready in the morning, and working 40 hours a week doing some bullshit you hate so you can have money to be happy on the weekends when you cop the latest overpriced Visvim joint.
Vancouver, thanks for the advice. I agree completely.

I've been talking to a lot of people, who have been very receptive. The issue again is that there are just no job openings at their companies.

I've been keeping busy after work, though. I've gotten back into volunteering, making clothes, and P90x. These have kept me sane. I fear getting into a rut with no way out. Otherwise, I'm content with the paycheck and the time that my current job has given me (after 6PM).

Please login first to reply.