April 21, 2010 @ 06:09 PM
███

Is the school system fucked up?

School places way to much emphasis on tests, quizzes, and
April 21, 2010 @ 06:09 PM
|||||| |||||| ||||||

I imagined drake saying all that.

| devenmmccoy.tumblr.com | | devenmmccoy | IG | https://www.flickr.com/photos/78628245@N07/

April 21, 2010 @ 06:14 PM
FROADS

fuck school..."my best teacher was experience"
April 21, 2010 @ 06:15 PM
███

People that usually perform poorly on tests are the ones complaining over things like this. Usually, if you do well on your test and retain it, you're an intelligent individual.

Nope. I do pretty well. It's just something that I've noticed. They recognize only one intelligence.
April 21, 2010 @ 06:44 PM
Constellations

I agree 100%. School just teaches you how perform monotonous, tedious tasks without question, so you can do more useless things without question in the "real world" for various corporations. The last thing the people who control the school system/government/corporations want is a population of critical thinkers

\X/

April 21, 2010 @ 06:44 PM
Movement187

I concur, just because you score high does not necessarily mean your smart.
April 21, 2010 @ 06:53 PM

Inactive

Me and my teacher were talking about this the other day. Ever since kindergarten we've been told that we're special yet they teach the same curriculum in the same way to every student. The truly smart kids are the ones who can adapt to it, or figure out it's all bullshit, ignore in-class lessons, and find their own way to educate themselves.
April 21, 2010 @ 06:59 PM
theconqueror

i agree.

i'm smarter than almost all my friends but theyve always done better in school because of tests. when it comes to hw, projects, labs, or in-class exercises, im always a step ahead. i really hate studying and memorizing shit.

my homie goes to USC and is one of the dumbest people i know. only real reason hes there is because he can study and does it a lot.
April 21, 2010 @ 07:02 PM
nostalgia

Teachers don't give a shit neither does anybody else in the school system they get paid for teaching what the law says to teach and passing students.
April 21, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
kbos

fuck school..."my best teacher was experience"

co-sign

For those saying it sounds like some kids with bad test scores complaining, do you not see the bigger picture?
April 21, 2010 @ 07:25 PM
kbos

^ pretty much what supremexbape said. I also agree with most of what you said, I just think there should be a better balance of the points youre both making. The system should be a little less black and white since most students brains don't function in black and white and the world isn't black and white.
April 21, 2010 @ 07:30 PM
sellme

lol @ all you high school kids whining. Go to college and then come talk to us.
April 21, 2010 @ 07:34 PM
kbos

I responded to that in the post, literally, directly above you.

I began writting my post, literally, before you submitted that post. I also edited my last post with that in mind.
April 21, 2010 @ 07:41 PM
VANCITY

critcial thinking skills> memorization and rentention skills

ive noticed that most of the fob asians around here and most of them in general cant criticially think they have to calculate and do forumals etc. u never see them in like polticial science classes or economics its always calculus and shit like that
April 21, 2010 @ 07:57 PM
Canvas08

critcial thinking skills> memorization and rentention skills

ive noticed that most of the fob asians around here and most of them in general cant criticially think they have to calculate and do forumals etc. u never see them in like polticial science classes or economics its always calculus and shit like that

fob asians LOVE economics courses in california
April 21, 2010 @ 08:02 PM
Tran.

Most teachers are in it for the money and don't give a flying fuck about you..
When you get out of HS this is much more apparent.
HS teachers just like to be nice cause they see you grow up n shit it's sometimes good for them to make an emotional connection. But in most teachers eyes they see you as a person that helped them put food on their on tables realtalk. razz
April 21, 2010 @ 08:02 PM
OmegaSvpreme

While your avatar is Drake, I do agree with this.

All school consists of is doing useless things over and over. Do I benefit in ANY way from performing Algebra 2 equations? No.

Half the time the answers are 2i or some useless shit you can't even use. At least chemistry, while I'm never going to use it, has some form of accomplishment. Ex. oxygen+hydrogen=water.

At least you learned something there, but my math class is literally the most idiotic thing ever. It's so easy, but I can barely do the work without thinking "why the fuck do I want to solve this, I get nothing usefuul out of it".

Literally the only thing in Algebra 2 that has ever held my attention is in the first chapter one of the questions is "use algebra to find out how many tanks can fit in this landing craft" .

Now all it is , is "put logarithm in exponential form" I don't give a fuck. And then for the "real life use" it says to find the slope of beaches. Who the fuck cares about the slope of beaches?!

Smfh. And then the teacher takes it so seriously, idfk why, cause even she admits we'll never use it past high school.

Nobody learns anything in there, we just memorize it, pass the test, and forget it. Fuck I don't even memorize it, I just copy the homework answers from the board, make the most sense of it I can, and pass the tests.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:05 PM
OmegaSvpreme

And also the state needs to lay the fuck off , because the few days I skip, I should NOT be receiving automated phone calls saying I had an attendance problem. What is this shit, WW2? If I want to stay home, I'll stay fucking home, I don't HAVE to be there.

What I hate the most is teachers that don't let you in class if you're a few seconds late and they're still not doing anything. My 1st period teacher is such a fucking bitch.

The other day, this kid walks in literally 10 seconds after the bell, the door was open and everything. Teacher is sitting in the back of the room on his computer reading his emails, and he's like "go get a pass" . Are you fucking serious.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:24 PM
kbos

Most teachers are in it for the money

Lol guess they aren't too smart then cuz if you wanna make money teaching is the wrong job.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:24 PM
AlphaTrion

Agree 100%. Critical thinking skills, logic, and problem solving are essential skills no matter what job you get. Memory and retention is useful but schools don't actually teach memory and retention skills. They give you a list of facts and tell you to memorize them but they don't actually teach you how. How many people in here ever actually learned any useful memorization techniques like the Logi, Peg, or Linking systems while in school?

As for math, the problem with how math is taught is that it's done in a manner to make Calculus the goal at the end of your school career (pre-college). Everything you learn in middle and high school is geared toward you getting calculus. A pretty useless mathematic discipline for the average person. It should really be geared towards statistics and probability. The ability to gather and interpret data and to understand how probability works and is used by the media and corporations are actually extremely useful real world tools that pretty much anyone could use.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:26 PM
AlphaTrion

Lol guess they aren't too smart then cuz if you wanna make money teaching is the wrong job.

You're right, but it's an easy job to get for someone with limited skills that needs a paycheck.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
AlphaTrion

More ranting...

Too much emphasis on college prep. Face it, some people aren't cut out for college. Rather than forcing everyone to struggle through calculus, physics, biology, and shit that basically won't help some people, schools should bring back classes like shop, metal working, electronics, and things like that. Give some people the option to learn a trade. The college kids can focus on their work without having disinterested kids disrupt class and the other kids could get a jumpstart on learning a trade that they might actually enjoy. College-bound kids come out of high school and go get their degrees, the others come out of high school and can immedietely get a well-paying and secure job.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:35 PM
Imco0l

well, i've got this chem teacher that cared bout their student's learning. She can NOT teach, but she tries her best with her experience (she's worked in a shit load of labs and chemists) and keeps stressing out that critical thinking & problem solving r so necessary in any area of expertise and that only memorizing can only last you for so long.

But i'm a lazy, memorizing student, so mayb that's y her teaching doesn't work that well.

"I didn't sign my mark update, so wat? You gonna call my parents to tell em that i'm getting 80s in that course? "

- Imco0l

fuck the other teachers, piss offs.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:42 PM
BIRTH

Elementary School= Straight A's
Middle School= Video Games>Homework/Studying = Solely passing through common sense & intelligence
High School= Stopped giving a fuck

My teachers have recognize I'm extraordinarily intelligent but since I don't try anymore they try their best to fail me like giving me a 0 if I forget to write the date teaching me to be "punctual". >sad

It's funny how they recognize my intelligence cause I usually troll otherwise I may come off as an egotistical asshole to the simpleminded individuals who attend my school.

April 21, 2010 @ 08:43 PM
TTHX

sounds like a lot of you are just trying to signify yourselves. all this "critical thinking" is better than the ability to memorize and shit, yeah sure, but why the fuck can't you just do it and get good grades? math isn't just memorizing formulas, it's learning how to solve numeric problems. math is all logic. sure finding slopes of random shit might be useless, but if you're headed into any engineering field that shit will be mad useful. i agree, that most of you probably won't require these certain skills, but just take the required courses of science/math, then just take other courses you feel like doing.

maybe most of you should just go to a liberal arts college/uni and do cultural studies and shit. it seems like a lot of you would enjoy writing essays about what's hype, and what mainstream society digs, and where subcultures and shit spring up from.

http://tonyhoangphoto.com

April 21, 2010 @ 08:45 PM
Movement187

Agree 100%. Critical thinking skills, logic, and problem solving are essential skills no matter what job you get. Memory and retention is useful but schools don't actually teach memory and retention skills. They give you a list of facts and tell you to memorize them but they don't actually teach you how. How many people in here ever actually learned any useful memorization techniques like the Logi, Peg, or Linking systems while in school?

As for math, the problem with how math is taught is that it's done in a manner to make Calculus the goal at the end of your school career (pre-college). Everything you learn in middle and high school is geared toward you getting calculus. A pretty useless mathematic discipline for the average person. It should really be geared towards statistics and probability. The ability to gather and interpret data and to understand how probability works and is used by the media and corporations are actually extremely useful real world tools that pretty much anyone could use.

That's what I need. Some classes that teach repetition and helpful memorization techniques. I took counseling 49 my first semester of college but it kind of sucked and just taught common sense.
April 21, 2010 @ 08:47 PM
BIRTH

sounds like a lot of you are just trying to signify yourselves. all this "critical thinking" is better than the ability to memorize and shit, yeah sure, but why the fuck can't you just do it and get good grades? math isn't just memorizing formulas, it's learning how to solve numeric problems. math is all logic. sure finding slopes of random shit might be useless, but if you're headed into any engineering field that shit will be mad useful. i agree, that most of you probably won't require these certain skills, but just take the required courses of science/math, then just take other courses you feel like doing.

maybe most of you should just go to a liberal arts college/uni and do cultural studies and shit. it seems like a lot of you would enjoy writing essays about what's hype, and what mainstream society digs, and where subcultures and shit spring up from.

April 21, 2010 @ 09:19 PM
Iggle

critical thinking requires you to have general knowledge of the subject matter. advanced math is pretty much all critical thinking. you're not getting shit done if you don't have the basics down. that's why they make you memorize all those equations. are you ever going to need calculus? who knows. but the teachers have no idea what you want to do in life. all they're doing is teaching you a bunch of basic skills you'll need later in college.

and the reason they don't have that many trade classes anymore is because they don't have the money for it. you cali *****s should know.

#pedogangweindis

April 21, 2010 @ 09:33 PM
Constellations

wow what a rebel, it's like he doesn't even care. radical.

Lold. Lol but hes intelligent. Even his "teachers have recognize hes extremely intelligent"

\X/

April 21, 2010 @ 09:38 PM
itZj0k3R

Quit bitching because your dumb...bitch.

Please login first to reply.