FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
November 19, 2009 @ 04:06 PM
FROADS

So the place where I work at is sort of like the TV show The Office, Its got a warehouse where workers ship up trucks with merchandise and it has an office with cubicles and all that shit. My job is sort of like the link between the two, I take all the info from what the truckers are supposed to take and all we have available in storage. I go from both places to place the orders suggested and fill up needed paperwork. Anyway, I tend to get along better with the workers and shit. Some of em' speak spanish and a lot of slang like, "Ey yo, toss me a frajo," and "U got some chevez for friday?" I grew up with that shit, so I just tend to relate with the warehouse workers more.

The office is sort of like a lot more white folks and college folk that are pretty cool for the most part except for a couple of snobs that I know here n there. Anyway this one dude I'll smoke out from the office doesn't get how I could spend my lunchtime by the lunch truck hangin' out with some of the workers. He thinks that all those hedz are dropouts with a bunch of kids. So I invited him to a kickback my homie was havin' and the reason for this is because the guy talks a lot of shit since he's into MMA training and all that wackness, and I was pretty sure he was gonna get his ass handed to him. So we're at the kickback and after a couple of brews white boy starts getttin' confident and makes a small remark about my friend's apartment. Kid ended up gettin' stomped by my homies friend and went to work the following week with his face all bruised up.

So I'd like to think I'm best of both worlds (for all u Miley Cirus pervs) when it comes to street smarts and Academic knowledge, u know Real world vs degrees. I'm planinng to go back to school for an A.S or somethin' that'll get me more cash. Anyway who u got? post yo shit..
November 19, 2009 @ 04:15 PM
Dray

Ive seeen a commercial with a great quote, "college prepares you to work for SOMEONE ELSE." That being said more often than not you are going to need college to survive in the real world. Im reading a book for my english class in college right now called "The last hours of ancient sunlight" shit is eye opening to the fact on how we are all essentially modern day slaves to corporations.
November 19, 2009 @ 04:20 PM
FROADS

For real D-Ray.. I know what u mean I fuckin hate my job..Hopefully i'll get that degree or somethin but I don't plan on workin for anymore companies.. I wanna write a book or somethin spent my time in coffes shops in hollywood, for real, just bein a vagabond and get paid..What's your major btw?
November 19, 2009 @ 04:22 PM
Dray

Criminal Justice. I want to be a parole agent or something...
November 19, 2009 @ 04:25 PM
sargasm

If you want to rule a tight knit working class community, street knowledge.

If you want to rule the world, academic knowledge.
November 19, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
FROADS

Good shit.. thats cool anything is attainable as long as your determined.
November 19, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
iDANYO

It's not what you know, it's who you know.
November 19, 2009 @ 04:30 PM
FROADS

If you want to rule a tight knit working class community, street knowledge.

If you want to rule the world, academic knowledge.

Dope.. i didn't think of it that way...That's too down though I'm not Alexander the Great ambitious
November 19, 2009 @ 04:36 PM
chemist.

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

this.
and a decent degree.

i'm studying engineering at a pretty good school, good way to make connections and what not.

http://trillosopher.tumblr.com

November 19, 2009 @ 04:44 PM
FROADS

it depends where you're at. street knowledge helps you in the streets. white guy wouldve been fine if he didnt go to a kickback with street guys. academic is more beneficial but you need to already be well off or else you just become a target. academic knowledge in the hood is just a handicap.

I'd like to take on street smarts cuz goin to a university or college is fine and all that but for some people it is not their primary source of their knowledge. Take me for example, I barely graduated and I'm not proud of that but I was a well read individual before and after. School didn't get me to read Les Miserables or War and Peace. I think what every one read is what Of Mice and Men, I was far beyond that type of reading. I think its a misconception to think one can get their most out of their education if they go to Yale or Harvard. When you could roll to the library and take out the same books their gonna teach u and learn it for free
November 19, 2009 @ 04:47 PM
FROADS

Yea a degree counts but don't think just cuz a man doesn't have one makes u mentally superior. I get that shit all the time round here. Engineering... damn Calculus?
November 19, 2009 @ 05:28 PM
Movement187

Doesn't matter what kind of education you have as long as your educated.
November 19, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
It's Only Hype

it depends where you're at. street knowledge helps you in the streets. white guy wouldve been fine if he didnt go to a kickback with street guys. academic is more beneficial but you need to already be well off or else you just become a target. academic knowledge in the hood is just a handicap.

yep. i think ideally it's a little bit of both. you can't be just dumb and naive on the streets bc people will take advantage of you
November 19, 2009 @ 05:37 PM
Nigga Man

November 19, 2009 @ 06:24 PM
FROADS

I'll pick street over skool. truth.
November 19, 2009 @ 06:28 PM
$KickaPop$

Whoever makes the most money.
November 19, 2009 @ 06:29 PM
tripleMike

Its important to have both, if you want to be a properly functioning human being.
November 19, 2009 @ 06:42 PM
Dray

In the real world yall are going to need an eduation. Wanna know where most street smart people are? Jail. The ratio to successful self made entrepreneurs compared to failed ones is more than likely one sided. Dont take the easy way out, get the degree.
November 19, 2009 @ 06:43 PM
tripleMike

In the real world yall are going to need an eduation. Wanna know where most street smart people are? Jail. The ratio to successful self made entrepreneurs compared to failed ones is more than likely one sided. Dont take the easy way out, get the degree.

real talk
November 19, 2009 @ 08:02 PM
FROADS

I think that's where u might be wrong.. My point is that u don't have to go to any school to gain any type of literary knowledge. As far as being street smart, well that's the whole definition right there "street smart". If you deal in gully activity shit eventually is gonna hit the fan. My whole perspective of that is how you carry yourself in a situation where you know bad shit looms like when your at a party in a suspect area or your having an argument with some stranger. Just avoid it and be neutral, but at the same time don't be a bitch n get pushed around. Be aware of where your at, that's what I mean when I talk about street smart, some people might lack that notion though as I mentioned in my first post.
November 19, 2009 @ 10:02 PM
tripleMike

education isnt for a status. sure some over achievers in school go at it for the status, and yeah maybe in the long run grades dont mean too much, but in general, its purpose is to further enable the development of ones mind, and hopefully in some way prepare oneself for the adult world (which is why its helpful to have both academic smarts and street smarts).
November 20, 2009 @ 05:27 AM
2frashbacca

never said education was for status. School is. If someone is inclined to become intelligent school isnt really necessary. It's just a guide.

this. School isn't about learning, it's about work ethic and getting a degree. A person of average intelligence can do great in school. It's always funny to me when I tell someone I get shitty grades and then they think I'm an idiot.
November 20, 2009 @ 09:01 AM
dots...

Street Sense/ Normal Logic.
I never met a "stupid" person till i got to high school. I know a guy that in math will follow a formula and stick to an answer even if the answer comes down to 1+1=2 we actually did have that situation happen where it was like 32 grams= 54 grams and i had to argue with him to get him to change it(group thing in science)
November 20, 2009 @ 11:22 AM
ichigo81

you really don't need a degree anymore but it's nice to have, it's just a piece of paper that opens doors for you but in certain circumstances you have to have at least a master's to even be considered for a job.That's why i am going back so i can have a one up on people, but alot of cats now get jobs through nepotism or knowing somebody, but alot of "street smart" people have mad intellgience but some don't use it verses i notice alot of "book smart" people have no common sense and they think everybody is inferior to them, so i take a "street smart or blue collar" person anydaycool
November 20, 2009 @ 11:36 AM
-TREACHERY-

Going to school isnt so much about getting an education, it's just a type of status. I know stupid mother fuckers who graduated with 4.0's.

truth. Theres a huge difference between being knowledgeable and being intelligent, theres so many people in my university that make school their life and need to study 6 hours a day but there still not intelligent they just spend a lot of time reading and becoming knowledgeable on subjects, but it takes them such a long to understand simple things

if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing

November 20, 2009 @ 11:43 AM
g2289

"street knowledge amazes the scholars way we coin phrases for dollars"
November 20, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
$KickaPop$

Not always true.

You know that's a movie right?

Please login first to reply.