Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
March 23, 2006 @ 08:52 PM
The Contagious Hater

Now I won't name companies..Cause maybe that's a liiiittle too much hate for some of ya'll to take. Especially since some of you might be ever so offended by someone else's opinion...

But..

What do you think about the clothing companies that got big because they know some rapper by luck or someshit. That you know if they wasn't ODing with stars or if they didn't know Moderators on Hypebeast or any other forum. [Because whatever the Mod says, the zombies follow] that they would be doin' bad?

I don't know. I've seen alot of Indie companies that got some fire work out there, and they're thriving and doing their thing. But those other companies that got garbage out are the ones in the spotlight because they made all their friends join the forum so they can spit mad junk about how "OMG, THAT IS SO AWESOME. GIMME DAT."
And we all know what that does. If you see a shirt by some bum, with 4 pages on how awesome it is, that makes the lil teens go crazy cause its HYPE...

I don't know. I see alot of that. Companies who put their hearts into designs and have maybe 7 things just for STARTERS. And their shit is what should be makin' it out there.
But then there are those cats who got 2 wack designs but because they asked their cousin's friends's brother's uncle, who knows the hairdresser that has a sister married to a friend of Nelly to beg that fool to wear the doodoo shirt. And once we got a picture of that ERRRbody wants it.

That's wack.
Your work should be enough to make the eyes pop.
Not seeing some celebrity who don't care about you wearing a shirt you secretly don't like, wear it. But you know how ya'll gotta fit in. =[

What happen to wearing what makes YOU, yourself, feel good? Or wearing a shirt that has something behind it; a message of sorts. I dunno. But the day I see a person screen print a picture of doodoo on a shirt and make a movie star/rapper where it, and its all over hypebeast as the hottest trend for the summer, I'm moving to Mars.

Are you with me?
xD:rofl:
March 23, 2006 @ 09:34 PM
Jest

there's 2 type of people in this world..

The Leaders:
i'll narrow it down to 2 examples of leaders 'You' would fall into the later.

a) An artist/star/actor/politition etc
They lead the way through their craft, a rapper does exactly the same. They inspire un-subconciously, food, taste, fashion, direction.

b) An individual non-conforming to the above mentioned a), through your own judgements, intuition and beliefs you walk against the flow of crowd and pave your own individual leadership role, eventually also inspiring those around you in (although not in a mass arena), food, taste, fashion, direction. Eventually rubbing and creating other individual leaders and then creating a niche culture.. this is what Bape was in Japan before they cmae anywhere near the states.

Followers:
here is a definition of followers on a whole you can define it in your each own personal way:

The average human being has an inherent dislike of work and will avoid if he or she can.
2. Because of this human characteristic of dislike of work, most people must be controlled, directed, and threatened with punishment to get them to put forth adequate effort toward the achievement of organizational objectives.
3. The average human being prefers to be directed, wishes to avoid responsibility, has relatively little ambition, wants security above all.

---
niche cultures have been created by your same mind-set.... but thrives on the people keeping their opinions hushed.. so as brands they love don't have a trap for falling into what happened to Bape.. this is putting it bland.. again please define thie above paragraph in your own way.
March 23, 2006 @ 09:47 PM
Kicks Reign Supreme

Read my post in this forum, I definetely agree with you.
March 23, 2006 @ 10:20 PM
The Contagious Hater

-shrug-

I get you Jest, I just didn't feel like quoting all your points, but well said.

I remember when Babe sneakers were overlooked because they [and i've heard this before] were the bootleg AF1's. But now everybody's a feen for things they didn't know about unless a certain celebrity wore it.

And for me to pay 700 and up for a sweater,that sweater better make me breakfast and climb ONTO me and keep me warm in -30 degrees.

Hah.
But as I was saying, I just wished that more attention was brought to the better companies who show a bit more individuality other than following what's already out.
But I guess it's who you know, not what you know.
And even if its original, I bet you it's still compared to something it has no link to..

Hmm.
=]
March 23, 2006 @ 10:41 PM
BORNKING

your right, but that why you need to start your own clothing line so you can make a difference, hahah

but i most def hear you!
March 23, 2006 @ 11:22 PM
The Contagious Hater

And that's why there's something called Contagion.
And it's time for you people to get infected with the better knowledge.

LoL.
=]
March 24, 2006 @ 01:58 AM
jjs home

Yo dawg your names hater, so get it poppin. If you won't I will, all you can name names and I'll give my opinions on whats poppin and whats bullshit, because I don't really give a fuck. I'm nothing close to a hater, I just don't believe in diluting my opinions for the sake of peoples feelings, and plus at the end of the day they are just my personal opinions frmo my vantage pointy. Beyond all this at the REAL end of the day the cream rises to the top.

Beyond that I feel you 100%, however I take more notice to the effect via the internet, because I don't watch any television relating to pop culture beyond MTV JAMS. I don't regard Jams in the same ways as other shows like 106 and Parks or TRL's because you don't get the crowd reactions or see how the videos have influenced their tastes, because Jams is just you and the videos. However on the internet I see a lot of fakin the funk to make freinds, and I find that funny because a real friend isn't a yes man. In addressing the internet and these message boards, blogs, I agree 100% theres alot of these co-called followers addressed previosly rushing to read these sites, and it essentially has put many followers into leader positions with poor outcome.

beyond all that if you wanna make this the keep it very real post go head, I will go right along and maybe some people will open their eyes to whats going on in the supposed "culture" at the moment.
March 24, 2006 @ 02:26 PM
Hybrid Moments

So you mean to tell me if Jay Z wanted to wear your shit, you wouldn't want him to?? C'mon dude, that's promotion right there. I mean, if you're suckin' d!ck to get someone to wear it, that's a different story. As long as you don't sellout, then who cares.
March 24, 2006 @ 03:43 PM
contaygious

there's nothing wrong with expsure if you are doing you the whole time. I mean I have been rockin jordans for a long time and I have like 40 pairs and a lot of people have them, but it doesn't stop me from wearing em because I'm doing me. I like dunks too, but not just DUnks in general, but I like specific pairs and so I buy them.

This whole pattern printed thing may seem old to you guys, but it's new to me and I like some of it and I don't like others, but to me what ever is hot is hot I am a victim of checking threads about stuff that people hype up, but that doesn't mean I will like it/buy it.

Bape has cool patterns but is too expensive for me, I would rather get like 10 hoodies then 1 bape hoodie. Mike and thhundereds are comin with some cold hoodies and I will get them cuz I like them - end of story.

If there are cool indie companies out there making dope shit then post links and hype em so I can check some more shit out! If it's tyte, it's tyte nahmean?
March 24, 2006 @ 03:54 PM
KillaKate

life is all about who you know. and how you promote.Nobody wants to be a starving artist.yeah yeah you can try to "keep it real" or whatever that means, but you wont make any money.

Shit. If jay Z or nelly called me asking for shoes, I may not like them at all, but you sure as hell better believe im makin dude 45 pairs of sneakers in a heartbeat.
March 24, 2006 @ 04:40 PM
The Contagious Hater

The difference to me is if I beg these guys to wear it and I run around all day trying to get into studios, and throwin' shirts at them people. LoL

But if Jay Z came up to ME, or called ME, I dunno. I still don't think I care if he wore it or not. LoL. Most of the guys don't like the shit, they just put it on because their stylist knows somebody who knows somebody and etc etc..

Maybe I'm just crazy, but you'll never see me hunt down the guys to put my stuff on.

Oh well.
=]
March 24, 2006 @ 05:26 PM
Hybrid Moments

Word up. Ever hear of people getting a job and shit cuz of who they know over the dude with qualifications?

And best believe if Jay Z's stylist told me to drive pretty much anywhere in the tri-state area to drop off something from my line for him to wear in a video, I'm stealing a car for that shit. You know what does that for your career? It's a wraparizzle.
March 24, 2006 @ 05:30 PM

Inactive

so...let me get this straight...you come here with hate post #121324545346 , say that those companys are sell outs just cause they made sure some celebrities used their clothes? honestly im kinda getting tired of all these posts claiming to be from people who claim to be the ESSENCE of whatever, there's like 2 new threads everyday about this. this looks like underground hip hop artists all over again, claiming to be underground and not being sell outs just because no one actually cared about them and they weren't able to score one number 1 single. at the end of the day, everyone works trying to make the most money out of that work, and if you say otherwise, you are lying , period.
honestly, i do like bapestas, i do like some bape stuff, i do like evisu(way before rappers even knew that evisu existed), i do think most bape stuff is ugly as fuck and overpriced , i do think that people that buy camo hoodies for 800 dollars+ are either milionnaires(and we can't blame them for that rightconfused or a fucking piece of retarded human brain, but what can i do about it? do hate post #1000000000000000000? honestly, hating bape and clothing companys that are actually doing well, is getting more played out than actually wearing it.
clothing companys are all about marketing if we are talking about profits when selling to the general public, so you better make the best out of your marketing tools.
Like i said, those hate posts to promote your own clothing companies are getting played out. if you actually think that about hypebeast users, that we only care about what celebrities wear, then why did you come here with your small talk? we won't care about the clothes you do unless you get some celebrities, right?so you better get your hustlin and harrasin celebrities game on, or else we won't care about you!L0L.
you are really starting in the wrong foot in my opinion, although i do agree with most of the stuff you said, there's really no point in saying it, cuz kids will still be kids and actual hypebeasters will still be hypebeasters after your post, and they will be wearing the latest gay trend pharrell came up with.
now please, stop with all this fucking non-sense threads, with all the "i agree" replys, you spend way too much time thinking about that stuff. NIGO was a millionaire due to bathing ape way before pharrell jumped on the bandwagon, so just go do your thing, and for now, you can only dream of reaching the success of clothing companys like bape. Work hard, and it may actually come true.
and if you say you would never be a sell-out like that, that's ok, but at least don't hate when you see those clothing companys owner's riding benz, rolls royce, lexus or whatever they feel like or just acting rich on tv, cuz they also worked hard for it and all you should do is respect their success and actually be happy for them.
March 24, 2006 @ 09:51 PM

Inactive

Egpt?

I agree with you.

Money will make people stop frontin' like you don't need it and thats real.

Those before us will always be those before us. Just be happy for them that they have succeeded. Use that energy and inspiration so that one day you can be as successful as them as well. Theres nothing else to it. Gravitate and help those around you.
March 25, 2006 @ 05:32 AM
L. Ruano

damn all the brands getting up on this thread haha
March 25, 2006 @ 12:54 PM

Inactive

Whats good Jeremy!!!
March 25, 2006 @ 01:15 PM
Brick James

I say, who cares. I understand if you're hard at work on your clothing another company with shitty designs passing you will piss you off, but if you make good clothes, they will speak for themselves and you'll get noticed. As for the company riding a star's coat tails to fame. I dont hate, they need food in their stomachs and money in their pockets just like everybody else. They know that their clothes alone wont get them money so they did the smart thing, got some1 with influence to wear their shit.
May 7, 2011 @ 02:30 PM
FlyGuy5

Death to HYPE
Dedication and originality still shine. Some people are blind to the light tho. :/
May 7, 2011 @ 02:56 PM
Bloodbath

"Hype" can only take you so far, eventually your designs, concepts, and the quality of your merchandise will have to stand on its own two feet.

BLOODBATH KILLS | @BLDBTH | BLOODBATHPROJECT.COM

May 7, 2011 @ 05:00 PM
jaeyoung

I rock skate brands like Diamond, HUF, Supreme and etc. because I actually like what they put out and I want to support them. It's a way of expressing myself through clothes, not creating an identity. If you create an identity by what you wear, you are a hypebeast. I support many street skate wear brands mostly from the west coast because I absolutely love their work and I want to share their love.

I agree with you.
May 8, 2011 @ 02:11 AM
goldANDsacks

i think there's more to what makes a brand popular than "some celebrity wore it".

i mean, many celebrities have/had their own clothing brans: rocawear, sean john, wu-wear, etc. many of those aforementioned brands are now defunct.

if tyler the creator can make supreme popular just by himself, then why doesn't he start "tyler's tshirt company" and transfer that success over to himself for 100% profits?

i think the celebirty endorsements can help a brand get hyped, but it needs more than that. there's some unknown x-factor that makes a brand popular. and being popular is also a double edged sword. once u get too big, you lose credibility (BAPE, the Hundreds, Diamond).

if i were a Nigo/Bobby Hundreds/Nick Diamond, i'd prob just keep restarting new brands every few years.
May 8, 2011 @ 02:27 AM
DEADLINE

It is what it is. At the end of the day we just want to make cool shit and hopefully people like it.
May 8, 2011 @ 05:03 AM
FALSE_PROPHET

and being popular is also a double edged sword. once u get too big, you lose credibility (BAPE, the Hundreds, Diamond).

if i were a Nigo/Bobby Hundreds/Nick Diamond, i'd prob just keep restarting new brands every few years.

THIS.
Although we have ALL seen brands "sell-out", we also cant confuse selling out with just expanding and growing. As long as a company can keep their humble mentality and not let the money and fame get to their heads, then their fine in my book. BUT once it gets to the point that whenever i walk into their shop, and i get nothing but bad service, or order sum clothes online and the shipping department sucks dick, then i gotta call it quits lol. honestly, im seein this happen way to frequently with clothing brands today. But hey, im sure they got alotta shit on their plate, rite? hah cool

KARMALOOP REPCODE 20%OFF: Hater93 http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/forum/topic/164985/? #post-3314499

May 8, 2011 @ 12:50 PM
richardiiivir

Same old story, different players.
The age old debate that has no right answer. Just focus on doing what the fuck you feel like. Every sub or counter cultural movement has been through the same crap so this topic of keepin' it real/true or sellin' out has been debated to ad nauseum already. So just sit down and focus on what you gotta do to achieve your vision, whatever that may be trust me it's right if that's what you want, instead of worrying about everyone else. Try living by the Fuck The Rest creed; like minded individuals will find each other. How do you think the hippies felt when the world decided their movement, that stood for something at one point, was turned into tye-died color trends and peace sign necklaces? How about the skaters, punkers, hip hoppers and on and on and on. All said and done, the old cannot kill the young forever; but they sure as hell gonna try>sad

Oh yea and I don't know who made any of us here the judge, jury & executioner to decide what and who's designs are wack or dope. It's subjective to the individual, if it connects to the person and they chose to spend their money on it, why be upset? Seems a bit egotistical when it's looked at that way.
May 8, 2011 @ 03:48 PM
SDiamonds

i think there's more to what makes a brand popular than "some celebrity wore it".

i mean, many celebrities have/had their own clothing brans: rocawear, sean john, wu-wear, etc. many of those aforementioned brands are now defunct.

if tyler the creator can make supreme popular just by himself, then why doesn't he start "tyler's tshirt company" and transfer that success over to himself for 100% profits?

i think the celebirty endorsements can help a brand get hyped, but it needs more than that. there's some unknown x-factor that makes a brand popular. and being popular is also a double edged sword. once u get too big, you lose credibility (BAPE, the Hundreds, Diamond).

I think Nick handled Diamond properly by not selling out, but letting the company grow huge.

Online exclusives, random drops and things that. You can't just go to zumies and purchase any Diamond shirt. The people who really like the brand will be getting shirts on the drops because they know, and the followers will be the ones on ebay paying $185 for a Wiz Khalifa hat.... >sad
May 8, 2011 @ 04:11 PM
jaeyoung

I think Nick handled Diamond properly by not selling out, but letting the company grow huge.

Online exclusives, random drops and things that. You can't just go to zumies and purchase any Diamond shirt. The people who really like the brand will be getting shirts on the drops because they know, and the followers will be the ones on ebay paying $185 for a Wiz Khalifa hat.... >sad

I totally agree. The reason why I love Diamond the most. And the same thing with Curren$y.

Refure the majors and stay real I kept my promise.
May 8, 2011 @ 08:26 PM
LUXDIV

8=d
May 10, 2011 @ 05:07 AM
ohmann

in terms of "getting lucky" with celebrities, these companies obviously are doing something right if they got their company into the eye of someone famous that is willing to rock their stuff. of course this is assuming that the company hustled it's way to where it is--none of that "my super rich parents hooked me up with ALL these famous people" type of shit. some people hustle REALLY hard and are rewarded for their work, but no matter how much they tell people how hard they worked, there will always be people to hate on someone else's success.

also, in terms of "what is hot" and "what is not" is a completely biased question because it really depends on the person and the culture around them. what you may think deserves to be on the market might not necessarily be the same opinion of others. if you see someone wearing an ugly shirt, you don't like it, but the person wearing it is probably wearing it because they like it, regardless of whether you both like the brand or not.

honestly, there's so many counter arguments to every argument, but at the end of the day you just have to keep an open mind and know that everybody has their own opinion AND that a lot of these brands actually work really hard and take a lot of risks to get to where they are.
May 10, 2011 @ 02:07 PM
Brian@ONLY

Chiming in from uptown ny...

I'm not one to tell people how to act or what to think, but I feel like your perception is a bit narrow (the OP). If you haven't been part of that type of experience then you shouldn't have such a harsh outlook on it. Because a celebrity chooses to adorn themselves or a brand chooses to sponsor someone, it shouldn't necessary reflect the intentions of that brand.

Working closely in the fashion world, I've personally learned how cut throat this business is. From printers disappearing, to cut and sew shops opening and closing, all the way down to the ever sliding 'work orders' or 'quotes'. Fact of the matter is, if you CHOOSE to be in this business, then you have an expression that want the world to see/hear. The way you go about getting that message out is up to you, you can stand on the street and sell CDs, go to flea markets and sell your shirts, whatever it is you do you end of the day.

Now to circle back on what I was saying, if you haven't tried any of those how can you say it's a bullshit way or that the brand is weak? I think we (this subculture in particular) should focus in on individual effort and not by the influence of others. Your effort may be completely different then the next, so having such an opinion seems to be a bit biased. You need to ask yourself, who is my audience, how can I do something like what they are doing, you need to ask yourself all the right questions and build your own delivery method.

Above all of this, you have to believe in your own designs. That very fact is what makes your work different then the next person's. Only then can you inspire another generation of designers, but by questioning them you're only making it clear that you are not satisfied with your work.

I hope some of this rings true, I hope you find yourself in a position where you can careless about what other people are doing and continue to spread your own message.

Godspeed
-Brian
May 11, 2011 @ 07:05 PM
bfitted

^^^^^ Very well said, and I'm feeling your line ONLY!

Please login first to reply.