SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
February 10, 2012 @ 07:36 AM
WD.NICK

This is shit you need to find out for you self. I will probably be spending around $1000 - $2000 on printing, just so I can ensure true quality in my product. You can always go cheaper, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I was bout to say if you are only spending $2 on a shirt max then that must be some shit quality. I'm working on my brand and my quote was between $1000 and $2000 (intentionally not being specific) for 40 shirts/hoodies. I'm paying that much to make sure it is the best quality I can produce.

getting robbed man - unless that ink is made with gold flakes, to get shit printed on should be $1.50-2 a color. Get more quotes shop around

Your talking about just printing for $1.50-2 per color. The other guy is saying $1000-$2000 for printing (shirts included) mening they will be providing the shirts also.

Thank you. For the shirt, tags, ink and all that goodness $1000 to $2000 for 40 tees/hoodies is a good price and that also means that I am using premium quality, I think we are talking different elements of t shirts.

I really recommend taking the time to learn the craft yourself. Print yourself, make mistakes, watch videos, study, learn the hard way. It'll pay off in the end. It is definitely a steeper initial investment to get the equipment, but over time your return on investment will greatly outweigh the cost. We don't outsource anything and this has saved us so much money overall and is work the extra effort that is necessary. Printing your own stuff isnt for everyone though, but if your in a position to do so, DO IT. And personally, I feel like 40 units of anything for 1-2k is outrageous.

WOLVES DEN www.wdnation.com

February 10, 2012 @ 10:04 AM
black

This is shit you need to find out for you self. I will probably be spending around $1000 - $2000 on printing, just so I can ensure true quality in my product. You can always go cheaper, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I was bout to say if you are only spending $2 on a shirt max then that must be some shit quality. I'm working on my brand and my quote was between $1000 and $2000 (intentionally not being specific) for 40 shirts/hoodies. I'm paying that much to make sure it is the best quality I can produce.

getting robbed man - unless that ink is made with gold flakes, to get shit printed on should be $1.50-2 a color. Get more quotes shop around

Your talking about just printing for $1.50-2 per color. The other guy is saying $1000-$2000 for printing (shirts included) mening they will be providing the shirts also.

Thank you. For the shirt, tags, ink and all that goodness $1000 to $2000 for 40 tees/hoodies is a good price and that also means that I am using premium quality, I think we are talking different elements of t shirts.

I really recommend taking the time to learn the craft yourself. Print yourself, make mistakes, watch videos, study, learn the hard way. It'll pay off in the end. It is definitely a steeper initial investment to get the equipment, but over time your return on investment will greatly outweigh the cost. We don't outsource anything and this has saved us so much money overall and is work the extra effort that is necessary. Printing your own stuff isnt for everyone though, but if your in a position to do so, DO IT. And personally, I feel like 40 units of anything for 1-2k is outrageous.

Word. I can't harp on this type of mind state enough, it's so necessary. Most likely, The only way you'll make it over the initial start up hump with limited capitol, is to do everything possible DIY. When #'s are small, there is no other way to make a profit and grow, you have to supplement with your own time and savvy, it's a minimums game, and you gotta find work-a-rounds. Clothing is one of the hardest industries in the world. There are only a few who make it in this shit, the only reason they did, is because they figured out how to become a Mc'Giver ass motherfucker and never quit. At a raw level, the clothing game simply, is solving problems, they're around every corner and your gonna need to like that sort of thing. Teaching yourself how to do everything possible in the beginning isn't just about saving money, it's about work ethic and teaching your mind to think and be a certain way, it's prep work for the level of intelligence/drive your gonna need if you wanna actually end up supporting yourself with it.

blackmfg.co fitted goods

February 10, 2012 @ 12:41 PM
chads

Word. I can't harp on this type of mind state enough, it's so necessary. Most likely, The only way you'll make it over the initial start up hump with limited capitol, is to do everything possible DIY. When #'s are small, there is no other way to make a profit and grow, you have to supplement with your own time and savvy, it's a minimums game, and you gotta find work-a-rounds. Clothing is one of the hardest industries in the world. There are only a few who make it in this shit, the only reason they did, is because they figured out how to become a Mc'Giver ass motherfucker and never quit. At a raw level, the clothing game simply, is solving problems, they're around every corner and your gonna need to like that sort of thing. Teaching yourself how to do everything possible in the beginning isn't just about saving money, it's about work ethic and teaching your mind to think and be a certain way, it's prep work for the level of intelligence/drive your gonna need if you wanna actually end up supporting yourself with it.

Well said sir.

chadacadabra.tumblr.com

February 10, 2012 @ 04:08 PM
BlackAndColour

1. Do you guys have a part time job,besides doing clothes?
I finished my job at Timberland at the start of feb because the store closed down temporarily but I'm a full time uni student and work freelance design & photography

2. Do you guys hire someone to do all the graphics on the computer or have some kind of help or do it all yourself?
As of now, i run & Design black and colour alone.
I will hire graphic designers in the future but for now I'm keeping it totally me.

3. How much money do you guys spend printing t shirts?
Totally depends where you go to couple hundred though.

4. How do you come up with a good clothing name? I’ve had a couple of ideas but it seems a bunch of new brands pop up every week and beat me to it.
You need to be original, something that sounds 'solid' and a name that doesn't limit you. Don;t choose a name like 'Shooting Star apparel', Black wolf, Thunder storm clothing.. its the most generic sounding shit and it isn't really what people want, in my experience. Why limit yourself when you can choose a name that has so many possibilities.

The girl @ blkandclr.com

February 10, 2012 @ 04:13 PM
BlackAndColour

Hey guys just to let you know..
Black & Colour is launching tonight at 11:50pm ish UK time.

Photos from the printers (low quality) ill get some tidy ones up later on.

blkandclrbrand.tumblr.com

The girl @ blkandclr.com

February 10, 2012 @ 04:18 PM
-ROY-

This is the way we are starting....Im fortunate enough to have a good friend starting up screen printing and get to actually help in the process of printing for our line...Its really fun and I feel that this is how everyone should start out DIY
February 10, 2012 @ 05:25 PM
panzram

Hey, so are you UK based? Looking forward to the launch. I'm liking what I've seen so far.
February 10, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
karakter1

sometimes i think you guys focus on alot of the wrong things....you do not need some premium cut and sew tee. you do not need to spend a crazy amount for your print job. there are many printers that do a great job....that dont charge extra for it!

get a good name.
get some designs that will sell!!!......( this is the big key)
market to stores that fit what you make...(hopefully you make stuff that fit within a particular market)
February 10, 2012 @ 05:48 PM
joeschott

sometimes i think you guys focus on alot of the wrong things....you do not need some premium cut and sew tee. you do not need to spend a crazy amount for your print job. there are many printers that do a great job....that dont charge extra for it!

get a good name.
market to stores that fit what you make...(hopefully you make stuff that fit within a particular market)

^Truth - that's the approach I've taken. I've just focused more on personalizing orders - throwing in pins and stickers with orders, Mortal Kombat trading cards, old comic book ads, hand written messages on every package. IMO your time/effort/money is better spent in making a personal connection with customers rather than cut and sew

Owner/Creator: nopeclothing.com / fypblog.com

February 10, 2012 @ 05:48 PM
BlackAndColour

Hey, so are you UK based? Looking forward to the launch. I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Hey. Yeah, South Wales, UK

The girl @ blkandclr.com

February 10, 2012 @ 05:51 PM
BlackAndColour

get a good name.

get a good name.

^Truth - that's the approach I've taken. I've just focused more on personalizing orders - throwing in pins and stickers with orders, Mortal Kombat trading cards, old comic book ads, hand written messages on every package. IMO your time/effort/money is better spent in making a personal connection with customers rather than cut and sew

I don't think spending the cash on making the connection with the customers is key but i do think it's something brands are lacking and something I intend to do a lot.

I'm hand writing little notes with each order, it takes a minute and I just think its a nice simple thing to do.
Im also doing a few city day promos soon, talking with people, handing out freebees and flyers etc etc.
It's something I appreciate and i hope others will to

The girl @ blkandclr.com

February 10, 2012 @ 05:53 PM
karakter1

$2000 for 40 tees is $50 a tee.....that's crazy, you gota wholesale them joints for $100- retail gona be $200 a tee!
February 10, 2012 @ 05:58 PM
joeschott

I don't think spending the cash on making the connection with the customers is key but i do think it's something brands are lacking and something I intend to do a lot.

I'm hand writing little notes with each order, it takes a minute and I just think its a nice simple thing to do.
Im also doing a few city day promos soon, talking with people, handing out freebees and flyers etc etc.
It's something I appreciate and i hope others will to

Honestly, I think underestimating the importance of connecting with customers is a big mistake. If it takes some cash to give freebies with orders than spend it. Who's going to buy your brand no one has heard about? If customers feel like you're their friend and someone they'd want to talk with/hang out with then you've got someone who will tell their friends about you and cop your stuff. If people know that they've got an added perk to ordering your stuff and are excited to see what freebies they'll get with an order - it's that much more of an incentive to purchase. I've had people e-mail me telling me how much a simple hand written message on the back of a package with some funny trading cards has turned their whole week around. Don't sleep on that.

February 10, 2012 @ 06:02 PM
karakter1

there have been years that we send out stickers and info cards with orders....years that we didn't send out anything.

its def a nice touch....if it fits in the budget.

love what you do, stay true to your vision.....but keep in mind that it is a BIZ. use basic biz principles and you can have fun with the clothing industry and make a few bucks.
February 10, 2012 @ 06:08 PM
joeschott

there have been years that we send out stickers and info cards with orders....years that we didn't send out anything.

its def a nice touch....if it fits in the budget.

love what you do, stay true to your vision.....but keep in mind that it is a BIZ. use basic biz principles and you can have fun with the clothing industry and make a few bucks.

What's your brand?

February 10, 2012 @ 07:24 PM
karakter1

im late to this thread...but i saw someone post this

"I’m a sucker for meaning. There has to be a meaning behind what you do. If there isn’t than you’re just making cool shirts with no substance. I’d like to invite all of you to explain what your brands stand for."

sometimes you guys are getting way too deep.....most customer don't think like this! they either see something cool and buy it...or buy what other people tell them are cool.

unless you are already popular in your target market,.........make good designs that will sell.

i saw someone post some spike lee- Mars/jordan ish image....put that in the right store and it will sell....simple as that! no explanation, no deep meaning...the right customer base will buy it easily.
February 10, 2012 @ 08:21 PM
minsct

Box of blanks just arrived. New hoodies dropping in 2 weeks!

In the mean time check out our full time blog over at www.minsct.com

THE VISIONARY IS YOU - www.minsct.com

February 10, 2012 @ 10:34 PM
BlackAndColour

HEY GUYS! Just did a small drop!

The rest of the line 'THE AMBUSH' will be live within a day or two!

Shop now at:
http://blkandclr.bigcartel.com/

The girl @ blkandclr.com

February 11, 2012 @ 03:30 AM
Daniel Steez

"I’m a sucker for meaning. There has to be a meaning behind what you do. If there isn’t than you’re just making cool shirts with no substance. I’d like to invite all of you to explain what your brands stand for."

sometimes you guys are getting way too deep.....most customer don't think like this! they either see something cool and buy it...or buy what other people tell them are cool.

unless you are already popular in your target market,.........make good designs that will sell.

i saw someone post some spike lee- Mars/jordan ish image....put that in the right store and it will sell....simple as that! no explanation, no deep meaning...the right customer base will buy it easily.

There are many ways to try and "sell" your product. I rather feel complete and fulfilled with what I'm doing because it has a meaning to me over making a quick dollar. You're "deep" if you want to be. You're strictly commercial if you want to be. You stick to a niche if you want to. It's all up to you.

I understand what you're saying though and if we're talking strict economics & you're just in this to make the most cash than we should all follow some guidelines:
Just listen to the hottest songs the radio plays.
Take their hooks.
Print some shirts.
And watch the youngin's come a'running.

www.GULLYSTEEZ.com

www.GULLYINK.com; premier printing service and retail opportunity for indie brands. Email me or visit the site for details.

February 11, 2012 @ 03:32 AM
Daniel Steez

Need some advice - making some teaser images for the nike subvert shirt and I'm not sure if this "works" or not
What do you guys think?

NOPE IS DOPE.

www.GULLYINK.com; premier printing service and retail opportunity for indie brands. Email me or visit the site for details.

February 11, 2012 @ 03:40 AM
Daniel Steez

So if your quote was at $2000 for 40 units that means you're spending $50 a product...get your OWN printer!

February 11, 2012 @ 03:43 AM
Daniel Steez

I have 4 questions for you nigs

1. Do you guys have a part time job,besides doing clothes?
2. Do you guys hire someone to do all the graphics on the computer or have some kind of help or do it all yourself?
(I have a few sketches but cant do jack shit on the computer)
3. How much money do you guys spend printing t shirts?
4. How do you come up with a good clothing name? I've had a couple of ideas but it seems a bunch of new brands pop up every week and beat me to it.

Thanks and sorry for all the newb questions coming from an OG. lol.

1) I sell clothes, go to school, and have worked valet for a couple years.
2) We do out graphics in house but I think you can outsource that..it'll just be way more costly.
3) We also do in house printing..I would suggest you get a printer. It costs a couple of gs but I think it's worth it.
4) I think the name just come to you.

www.GULLYSTEEZ.com

February 11, 2012 @ 03:46 AM
Daniel Steez

get a good name.

AMEN.

February 11, 2012 @ 03:59 AM
Daniel Steez

We enjoy making a difference..even if it's miniscule:

www.GULLYSTEEZ.com

February 11, 2012 @ 04:24 AM
lafit95

Not starting my own company, but I'm a partner with youtube and review brands/clothing of new upstart brands for my channel. If any of you have interest in having me review your gear to help spread the word you can email me at lafit95@gmail.com . thanks
February 11, 2012 @ 06:38 AM
Jake Ocean

Not starting my own company, but I'm a partner with youtube and review brands/clothing of new upstart brands for my channel. If any of you have interest in having me review your gear to help spread the word you can email me at lafit95@gmail.com . thanks

whats your channel, just out of curiosity

http://www.distantlight.co

February 11, 2012 @ 02:42 PM
lafit95

channel is lafit95 heres a link: http://www.youtube.com/user/LAfit95/videos still pretty lowkey just became partner few weeks ago.
February 11, 2012 @ 04:09 PM
karakter1

There are many ways to try and "sell" your product. I rather feel complete and fulfilled with what I'm doing because it has a meaning to me over making a quick dollar. You're "deep" if you want to be. You're strictly commercial if you want to be. You stick to a niche if you want to. It's all up to you.

I understand what you're saying though and if we're talking strict economics & you're just in this to make the most cash than we should all follow some guidelines:
Just listen to the hottest songs the radio plays.
Take their hooks.
Print some shirts.
And watch the youngin's come a'running.

www.GULLYSTEEZ.com

What up Steez...

I totally get what you are saying...and i don't disagree.

If you make tees just to be complete and fulfilled....great! But if you invest the time money and resources into a clothing brand and intend on it being a business......then a good strategy will come in handy.

if hip hop lyrics is your thing...cool. There is a market for that.....so your "guidelines" would only apply to that market....only the youngin's that like that genre of tee would come a'runnin

If you like flowers....make some dope flower tees and market them where people buy tees with flowers on them....
that's all im sayin......there is room for whatever you design in the grand scheme of the graphic tee market.
February 11, 2012 @ 11:15 PM
streetshark

When it comes to 5 panel caps I know some people are real picky about the strap in the back. Leather Vs. Plastic Buckle. What do you guys think?

www.wolfpartyusa.com

February 12, 2012 @ 05:27 AM
joeschott

Need some advice - making some teaser images for the nike subvert shirt and I'm not sure if this "works" or not
What do you guys think?

NOPE IS DOPE.

Yo thanks man! Appreciate it! I got my friend Jane Mai to do some graphics, here's one she did

Super stoked on it!

Please login first to reply.