Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
May 5, 2010 @ 08:11 PM
welchy3

Hey guys its my first post here. Do yall thing the market is flooded with streetwear brands. I see so many very small companies trying to push t-shirts and mostly just t shirts.
Im a college student and am very interested/in the works of starting a clothing company (in collaboration with my music career). Im in Denver and there is not a huge streetwear market, although this style is definitely relevant. I wanna start with shirts/crewnecks/hoodies with very minimalist designs.
Would it be realistic to be a legitamate company supplying stores in the future or is there any room left for another company?

thanks
May 5, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
BeyonceKlebold

Minimalist designs doesn't sound good, what's gonna make it stand out?
May 5, 2010 @ 08:29 PM
eski173

Streetwear market is getting too saturated with bs.... Way too many wanna be designers in my opinion!
May 5, 2010 @ 09:43 PM
welchy3

the idea is to not stand out necessarily and be super flashy. I wanna make minimalistic "timeless" designs that arnt gonna fade away in the text couple of years as i can see many of the companies doing. I want to get into doing cut and sew and sweaters/cardigans and nicer things but this is where ill have to start.
I guess what i wanna know is if you think that a company like this will work in a city thats not LA or New York. I dont know of any streetwear companies that are based here and there is only one good store in the area, but like i said my campus definitely has a streetwear style.
May 6, 2010 @ 12:06 AM
BarryGoods

Everything gets over saturated sooner or later. Honestly, if doing clothing is going to make you happy then by all means. It's not gonna be easy. And yeah, right now Street wear is in abundance. I buy a bit of old and a bit of new. Whenever I can, I always go out and support indie labels. Not just any. Has to be something cool. Good Luck.

P R O V E R S E | WWW.PROVERSE.COM | INSTAGRAM.COM/PROVERSEGOODS | PPP

May 6, 2010 @ 12:09 AM
Nems

Just jump in! Have a plan and work that plan! This scene is like graff, some live off it, some do it to go against the system, n some suck! Everything has been done, its just how you reinterpret ideas. Have fun wit it!
Make that money!

Universal Article www.universalarticle.com

May 6, 2010 @ 03:19 AM
bonjour_1801

A&F Outlet UK
My friend recommended this website to me. They sell Abercrombie & Fitch at really low price with free shipping.

abercrombieoutlet.uk.com
Abercrombie & Fitch Outlet
Abercrombie & Fitch 2010 new arrival, all kind of styles, tees, polos, shirts, short, accessories are ON SALE, save up to 70%, free shipping!

Check out here!
May 6, 2010 @ 03:20 AM
bonjour_1801

Some stuff is pretty cool there, go and find out!
May 6, 2010 @ 03:22 AM
bonjour_1801

All cool stuff @ Abercrombie Outlet UK COM
May 6, 2010 @ 10:25 AM
DUNCAN99

yes it's flooded. what makes you special people want to buy your shit?
May 7, 2010 @ 06:28 PM
Corny Al

the market is flooded with shitty "streetwear", make good clothing and i will buy from you. we even live in the same city.
May 7, 2010 @ 08:17 PM
welchy3

I agree that the market is flooded with shitty steet wear. whats gonna make me stand out is not necessarily standing out. good designs (in my mind are basic and classic) will stand out and hopefully last over time. I feel like not making shit that stands out is making good clothing, flashy shit is just a trend and im not trying to follow/start one.
May 7, 2010 @ 08:35 PM
Scotty

^ well by saying that u are just jumping on the new trend of basic looks and classic "timeless" pieces.. Thats what streetwear has turned into.. In order to make it, u have to come up with new ideas and classic, basic, timeless isnt going to make it now.. Since, if people are looking for that they will buy the well know high quality designers and brands..

Cause if u havent noticed the new "streetwear" look is oxfords/chambrays, chinos, and desert boots.. Which is all considered classic and timeless.. Or they rock Supreme tops, raw denim and vans.. So the real question is where are u going to be different and stand out.. By standing out i dont mean flashy.. I mean stand out where u are going to be different and do something different to make in the "street culture"?
May 7, 2010 @ 08:55 PM
welchy3

^ well by saying that u are just jumping on the new trend of basic looks and classic "timeless" pieces.. Thats what streetwear has turned into.. In order to make it, u have to come up with new ideas and classic, basic, timeless isnt going to make it now.. Since, if people are looking for that they will buy the well know high quality designers and brands..

Cause if u havent noticed the new "streetwear" look is oxfords/chambrays, chinos, and desert boots.. Which is all considered classic and timeless.. Or they rock Supreme tops, raw denim and vans.. So the real question is where are u going to be different and stand out.. By standing out i dont mean flashy.. I mean stand out where u are going to be different and do something different to make in the "street culture"?

well this being said, this is why i dont have a company yet and already making clothes. tryin to find my spot in it all.
May 7, 2010 @ 08:56 PM
welchy3

i feel like there are alot of brands out there that have some good peices i wear, but overall arnt that good. Ideally, if i could make any type of clothing/shoes i wanted, it would be what i wear, and have a solid collection.
May 7, 2010 @ 09:29 PM
Scotty

^ but what u want and what others want is the difference... I mean its worth trying if u think u can do it.. Im not saying u shouldnt or should.. Just throwing some reality into it. U can start a company/brand for shit u like and see where it goes, if it works awesome if not u just cant be like "wtf is this shit".. Thats all.. My advice just make sure u have something that competes against the rest and isnt the same.. U can use pieces as inspiration just make your own and get creative to make it different...
May 7, 2010 @ 09:31 PM
Charlie Sheen

flooded with pinoys in streetwear
May 7, 2010 @ 09:34 PM
Japan4

If you got the money, and your shit is dope then do it. But if it's wack people aren't as blunt as I am and they will lie to ur face. But you gotta do it the right way. And since ur new I highly doubt you have any cred. It's all about about who you know and how good ur cred is. I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen so many wack brands fail and so many good ones as well. But I've seen alot of wack ones do good and people still don't know whats up. So truely.....it's all about who you know man.

rilly doe?

May 7, 2010 @ 10:33 PM
The Main Event

If you are gonna go the basic/minimalistic route then you better make sure the pieces have quality construction. Uniqlo and H&M cover pretty much all the basics, sure the quality isn't great but for their low prices it really doesn't matter.
May 8, 2010 @ 12:07 AM
welchy3

If you got the money, and your shit is dope then do it. But if it's wack people aren't as blunt as I am and they will lie to ur face. But you gotta do it the right way. And since ur new I highly doubt you have any cred. It's all about about who you know and how good ur cred is. I've been on this forum for a while and I've seen so many wack brands fail and so many good ones as well. But I've seen alot of wack ones do good and people still don't know whats up. So truely.....it's all about who you know man.

ya at this point i have no cred. I do have some connections and a few stores that will carry it. Im gonna start playin at a lot of parties and i feel that clothing complements it very well (the rapper and me will be wearing it along with all my close friends). I wanna test the waters on campus and if enough people buy it/think it is something cool, im gonna try to pursue it on another level.
May 8, 2010 @ 12:10 AM
welchy3

also, what do yall see the next thing being. not necessarily the next trend, but whats gonna take streetwears place? ive done alot of thinking about this.
May 8, 2010 @ 12:33 AM
almost1

two words that will sum up this thread in regards of the flooding streetwear market

too many brands with

NO CONCEPT.

basisny.com

May 8, 2010 @ 01:23 AM
LMCrep

I'm so fucking tired of that tired cliche "the market is flooded."

EVERY FUCKING MARKET is flooded, and has been since the concept of SUPPLY AND DEMAND took birth.

streetwear was FLOODED when it started, and it will always be flooded.

music is FLOODED. computer industry is FLOODED.

in EVERY market, new businesses start up every single day.

if you want to start a new brand, go for it.

don't listen to these armchair entrepreneurs with their bullshit "streetwear is flooded" nonsense.

every single fucking day, a new streetwear brand comes out and succeeds. That's a FACT.

do you think the dudes at Black Scale thought to themselves, "damn, the market's flooded..fuck it"

or diamond? or any of these brands that started out small, when streetwear was becoming popular, and became big names?

hell the fuck no.

just make sure your clothing is fresh and clean.

if it is, people will cop, assuredly.

my only advice to you, being someone who has his own clothing line, is to step up your finances.

the survival of a clothing line largely depends on how much money you're willing to spend in the first year.

if you're open to putting down 20-40gs, and your shit is fresh, you stand a good chance of meeting some measure of success.

by "success," i don't mean you'll be pushing a maybach next year.

no, by "success," i mean that you'll have a clothing line that you can devote all your time to and make a decent living from.

just get your money up, make sure you have talented designers working on your shit, and don't listen to haters.

haters are broke dudes who don't have money and get mad when they see someone else do what they wish they could do.

peace.
May 8, 2010 @ 05:15 PM
Japan4

The dudes at Black Scale collabed with diamond for they're first line didn't they? Diamond is a skate company you dumbfuck, as soon as they put out the Diamond SB they blew up. Stay connected. It's like hustling drugs, if you got no connect, you run dry.

I'm not trying to discourage anybody, but if it's wack I'm gunna say it. Shit is flooded and cliche as fuck. Go bite some fucking cartoon from the past and put a punk rock spin or gangster twist to it and you have streetwear. No. That's bullshit. The thing about hypebeast is....it's hype. I listen to Public Enemy.

rilly doe?

May 8, 2010 @ 05:16 PM
Japan4

loxfam what's your brand?

rilly doe?

May 8, 2010 @ 05:46 PM
LMCrep

loxfam what's your brand?

don't worry about that.

as for the rest of what you said, i agree somewhat, though i still think you're being overly pessimistic.

dudes are succeeding in this industry on a regular basis, and it isn't going to come to a halt anytime soon.

the market is hungry for streetwear, the kids are willing to spend money on it, and it just takes quality clothing and a cool concept to succeed.

i agree, in that there's a lot of contrived bullshit out there, but that happens with every industry.

there's also a lot of great, quality brands that know how to keep it clean and fresh.

it's just a matter of having these ingredients:

- artistic vision, something that binds your brand to a concept (not one that necessarily needs to manifest in every release, but a concept that pushes a mission the consumer can relate to)

- money (first year or two will see you most likely break even. that's not bad, and it ensures that you can continue producing. the first year or two are all about making the public aware)

- time is of the essence, basically. make sure you have the energy and time to spend on this investment, or it'll show in the mediocrity of your releases. don't be sloppy!

- outreach. spreading the word is critical, and that takes putting your feet on the ground and connecting with the people out there. reach out to local boutiques, start a blog, etc.

it isn't difficult, but you have to commit yourself and never listen to haters..

this forum is filled with haters, which is why i don't announce who i'm affiliated with.
May 8, 2010 @ 05:49 PM
Scotty

Loxfam STFU.. What brand do u own? I cant believe u are actually still here... SMH, were not telling him NOT to start a new brand/company.. We are giving him advice and things to look into while he is thinking of it.. Dude u know who the owners of black scale are? They were well connected and well known way before they started a company.. Also Black Scale has been out prolly longer than u even know.. Diamond was a skate company and the owner is well known, reason they got a shoe from Nike SB and thats how they blew up.. Know what u are saying before speaking out and read what we are saying before u comment!

*also almost couldnt say it any better, that was perfect!
May 8, 2010 @ 06:02 PM
LMCrep

Loxfam STFU.. What brand do u own? I cant believe u are actually still here... SMH, were not telling him NOT to start a new brand/company.. We are giving him advice and things to look into while he is thinking of it.. Dude u know who the owners of black scale are? They were well connected and well known way before they started a company.. Also Black Scale has been out prolly longer than u even know.. Diamond was a skate company and the owner is well known, reason they got a shoe from Nike SB and thats how they blew up.. Know what u are saying before speaking out and read what we are saying before u comment!

*also almost couldnt say it any better, that was perfect!

lol, don't talk to me about history.

haha @ even suggesting i don't know the history black scale and diamond.

you really don't know who i am, clearly.

regardless of HOW those companies were birthed, they still were NEW at some juncture.

do you grasp that?

i don't see you giving him advice.

i see the usual claptrap that hypebeast haters shovel under the guise of being helpful.

btw, i still post here because i don't attack others and i maintain civility while engaging in the discussions here. why, exactly, are you worried about me posting here?

anyway, i'm just trying to give this guy advice that doesn't discourage him from following his dream.

that's it.

threads like this bring out the hypebeast haters, and i'm just giving the guy an optimistic perspective.
May 8, 2010 @ 07:10 PM
welchy3

thanks to everything loxfam said.
May 9, 2010 @ 12:55 PM
hadesnuggz

Simple answer. yes.

Please login first to reply.