300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
June 23, 2010 @ 04:32 AM
alex.

Nomura: Versus' graphics are unbelievable
Posted on June 23, 2010 by Nick

A notable no show from this year's E3 Expo was Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the highly anticipated next chapter in the Fabula Nova Cyrstallis series. Though Final Fantasy XIII hit Western shores earlier this year, Square Enix was mum on the PS3-exclusive follow up at the event last week.

Not to worry, though - the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation confirms that fans will see more from the title soon at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show. The publication showed off a few new environments and teased a couple new features.

The highlight seems to be the game's new battle system. The encounter system uses a mix of random and visible encounters that are integrated seamlessly into the exploration aspect of the game. The graphics further enhance the combat, with Nomura confidently stating that most people will not believe there eyes when the see the high quality of the battles in action.

Additionally, Nomura states the team is improving the graphics before the game hits shelves. With the release of XIII off their plate, the team is going to work with renewed motivation.

Fans can look forward to seeing FFVSXII, as well as Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday and Agito XIII at TGS 2010, which is slated for Sept. 16 to Sept. 19.
June 23, 2010 @ 06:19 AM
calintz

crazy

the visuals are amazing, and its open world? cool

honestly, i hope they keep this on the ps3, and try to pump out uncharted 2-level polish on the visuals

June 23, 2010 @ 08:59 AM
C_Augustus_O

^ this made my day

https://twitter.com/#!/C_Augustus_O

June 23, 2010 @ 09:03 AM
alex.

one more,damn

From Neogaf:

- All the screenshots in the interview are captured from the game running in real time.
- The movement of the clouds in the game are controlled by the physics engine in the game.
- The game employs an open field concept, so you can travel anywhere except into mountains.
- The encounter system is a mix of random and visible encounters? (Confusing point, the blog doesn't seem clear either.)
- Battles are seamless. The only loading in the game will occur when moving between very large areas. They're aiming for the ultimate in seamlessness.
- Objects along the paths of roads can be destroyed.
- Most people will not believe their eyes when they see the high quality of the battles in motion.
- The staff are highly motivated now.
- There will still be improvements and more polish on the visuals made, the visuals in the screens are the game running at the moment.
- You'll be able to use a car as promised. You can exit it and move on foot at any time as well.
- Enemies will be visible on the field, and while some enemies are wandering around, others will suddenly appear and surprise you. (This clarifies what the random and visible comment meant, and it also confirms that game will be similar to FFXII in that sense.)
- Nomura says they're planning for a big unveiling of Versus at some point, but he doesn't really give any deadline for it.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399165

More detailed info:

www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/23/nomura_on_ff_versus_xiii/

Most of the discussion focused on three new screenshots. It will be a bit tough to follow most of this summary without seeing the screens for yourself, but here are some textual descriptions.

* 1. A scene of main character Noctis standing on a cliff, looking out over a vast field, with a highway directly below, a desert clearing in the distance, and mountains in the far distance. The caption for this notes that you can walk as far as you can see.
* 2. A scene of Noctis standing in front of a gas station. In the caption for this scene, the magazine notes that one of the themes of the game is a "road movie."
* 3. A scene of Noctis facing off against a giant creature in a city-like scene. The visuals here look extremely modern -- you can see crosswalks and even bike lanes marked off on the road below. It looks like an in-game version of Tokyo, except for the giant beast.

The screens are all taken off real hardware, Nomura said. The game currently runs at the quality shown in the screens, said Nomura, and they'll be improving the visuals even further.

Not only are the screens real time, but they represent the perspective from which you'll play the game. The camera angle is for the most part what's shown in the screens -- from a third person view. They were originally considering switching to an overhead view when you moved into the outside world, but ended up keeping the the world as an open field in order to keep you close to the action.

Of course, actual screenshots will have menus and icons. According to Nomura, these bits were removed because they did not want to let details on the game out.

Nomura shared some details on a screen-by-screen basis.

Regarding the gasoline and field screen, Famitsu noted that the game's sky color is finely detailed. Nomura said first that they're using true physics calculations for the movement of the clouds. He also noted that it took the staff a while to determine the visual direction they would take with the game. They could do all sorts of different visual styles by changing such things as filters and sunlight color.

Regarding the field screenshot, Nomura said that the field is an "open field," meaning you can walk through "nearly everything" shown in the field screenshot except for the mountains. He also said, "If you want to go to the end, it's truly far."

Regarding the city scene with the beast, Nomura pointed out that the beast is a military-use behemoth. It has a giant sword on its back.

The city scene is actually a battle screen. Normally, it would have a command menu and other information.

The menus and prompts aren't all that's missing, though. Noctis is shown fighting the behemoth by himself. In the actual game, you'll fight as part of a party. The reason the party members aren't shown in the screen is because Square Enix has yet to officially reveal the weapons and clothing for these characters.

Famitsu noted of the battle scene, the "Shinjuku cityscape is real." The model for the area, said Nomura, is the surroundings of Square Enix's Shinjuku office, right down to the bicycle markings on the street.

The three areas shown in the screenshots are all connected. The screen with the field and the screen with the gasoline stand are from the same location. The field extends out from the rear of the gas stand. These two areas are located immediately outside the city depicted in the battle screenshot.

It all looks like a pretty large area for what appears to be the game's prologue location, Famitsu noted. No need to worry, though, as Nomura revealed that you'll have access to a car. You can board and disembark your car whenever you like. Take your car out into the field area, and you'll eventually approach the submerged area that was shown in past promotional trailers.

It looks like you'll encounter monsters out on the field. Some will be roaming about, with Nomura citing an example of a behemoth walking around on a hill in the distance. In other instances, monsters will appear quickly.

In this week's "Flying get" column, there was a bullet point about the game featuring both symbol and random encounters. I presume this is where these points come from. Nomura did not specially mention symbol and random encounters, though, so it may be a bit too hasty to picture an RPG-like system.

Asked if the field and battles will be seamless, meaning no loading or screen transitions, Nomura said that the battles will be for the most part seamless. When you move between large areas, and when there are event cut-ins, there may be some loading, although the staff is trying to make the game as seamless as possible.

The magazine closed off by asking Nomura when we can expect additional Versus XIII details. This is still a ways off, he said, but he added "We're making preparations for a big announcement."
June 23, 2010 @ 09:09 AM
alex.

isn't it possible to make me a threadstarter of this thread? please hero, it's my game, lol
June 23, 2010 @ 09:19 AM
C_Augustus_O

exclusive or not this is still gonna be one of the best games ever

June 23, 2010 @ 10:44 AM
TTHX

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit thanks for the updates! that screen looks badass.

http://tonyhoangphoto.com

June 30, 2010 @ 04:51 PM
Reginald Fairfield

thank you thank you thank you. i thought this game was dead.
July 1, 2010 @ 02:08 AM
Trollinator

after beating FF13 makes me wanna get it.

I want to see the world burn

August 30, 2010 @ 05:15 AM
alex.

versus is gon be at tgs

ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1116189p1.html
September 8, 2010 @ 12:10 AM
calintz

yeah just read that on his 3rd Birthday twitter account, and was like cool
September 8, 2010 @ 01:00 AM
flipppppin

i cant wait to see some gameplay on this. &)
September 9, 2010 @ 06:43 PM
eht781

Ugh probably gonna sell my copy I still haven't finished this game although its gorgeous &)
September 9, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
calintz

hahaha
September 15, 2010 @ 11:52 PM
C_Augustus_O

From FF Versus XIII footage shown at TGS!

FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII + FINAL FANTASY AGITO XIII
08:38p: Footage of Final Fantasy Versus XIII is being shown on the floor, it looks similar to Kingdom Hearts.
08:38p: The car that Noctis rides in has been changed from before.
09:28p: Apparently, a press conference concerning the Fabula Nova Crystallis series (Versus/Agito), will happen on January 11, 2011. [Thanks, Lissar!]
10:46p: Agito XIII footage shown of characters riding on chocobos on a large field. [Source]
10:46p: Versus XIII footage shows Noctis running around a wasteland, and he comes to a ruined city and fights a Behemoth. [Source]
11:17p:

September 16, 2010 @ 04:45 AM
alex.

01:46a: And in Versus the scene that was shown during E3’10 with the main character Noctis fighting a Behemoth is now revealed in movie form. The battle is played out on a road that looks like Shinjuku, and the quality is so high that it makes you wonder if you’ll actually be able to control this battle. The blood spurting from the Behemoth and Noctis’s movements are very fantastic and yet realistic at the same time. In battle it looks as though Noctis disappears for a moment (but it was too fast and the details are as yet unknown.)

hope it leaks soon
September 17, 2010 @ 05:53 AM
calintz

September 17, 2010 @ 06:33 AM
C_Augustus_O

Brilliant

September 17, 2010 @ 12:52 PM
alex.

the last guardian, gt5 and now this? damn...tgs > any other game expo
September 23, 2010 @ 12:25 AM
Attack

Looks raw, too bad its PS3 exclusive.
FFX and FFVII were the best FFs of all time
September 23, 2010 @ 12:51 AM
calintz

too bad?

buy a PS3 du
September 26, 2010 @ 08:13 PM
urbanglowcam

Dang. Looks crazy. Might have to pick that up.
October 8, 2010 @ 06:09 PM
calintz

official HD tgs trailer of Agito and Versus

www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-final-fantasy/705844
October 8, 2010 @ 06:38 PM
chex

mah
October 11, 2010 @ 10:38 PM
skivic35

Versus looks like it will make up for XIII
October 12, 2010 @ 08:07 AM
skivic35

i like it, but the linearity of the game ruined it.... its all because it was ported to xbox360 which couldnt handle anymore.
October 12, 2010 @ 08:15 AM
alex.

i guess hero dont like npc's,side quests,secret items,towns, side bosses etc.

it was a great lookin and fun to play action game tho
October 14, 2010 @ 02:00 PM
soap

that trailer looked weak

plus i still haven't finished the xiii
December 1, 2010 @ 11:13 AM
skivic35

no updates?
December 1, 2010 @ 11:49 AM
Trollinator

I'm not that of a FF fan but should I get this or 13

I mean what's the difference between versus and 13