hype cog

Official Laptop/Computer Discussion Thread

May 11, 2012 @ 01:29
I think you would be better off waiting for Mountain Lion to release this summer

I couldn't agree more. Mountain Lion seems promising.

The Rpreme

May 11, 2012 @ 02:09
I think you would be better off waiting for Mountain Lion to release this summer

I couldn't agree more. Mountain Lion seems promising.

What do you hope to gain? What can't you do now?

I usually put off upgrading OS as long as I can because newer OS on older hardware usually doesn't mean better performance.
May 11, 2012 @ 04:08
I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion, but it seems promising from the reviews I've seen. I'm still running snow leopard and is doing good for me.

The Rpreme

May 11, 2012 @ 14:45
You keep saying that, "seems promising" but you neglected to actually answer my question. What do you hope to gain, what can't you do now?

The reviews you're also reading are done on current hardware. If you're running 10.6 that means your Mac is at least 18 months old, possibly as much as 4 years old - in which case upgrading won't make a lot of sense unless you have software compatibility issues.
May 11, 2012 @ 14:58
lenovo u300s

killer

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/166901/

May 25, 2012 @ 20:19
Sony vaio S class 13" vs Mac Book pro 13"

Pros & Cons
Practicality
etc.

Thanks, I kinda need fb soon, so any non bs help is appreciated.
May 25, 2012 @ 20:27
MBP

pros - its shiny, its a mac

sony
pros- its cheap

cons- its not a mac
May 25, 2012 @ 20:31
If you buy the Sony, you'll have to wipe it and do a clean install of W7 or Ubuntu, then it will run as fast/problem free as the Mac.

narsha.narsha.narsha

May 25, 2012 @ 21:13
If you buy the Sony, you'll have to wipe it and do a clean install of W7 or Ubuntu, then it will run as fast/problem free as the Mac.

Oh word. Is wiping it clean gonna cost anything? How do I do that?
I feel like a mac is so limited when it's compared to windows, but im probably being ignorant on this one.
May 26, 2012 @ 23:45

I feel like a mac is so limited when it's compared to windows, but im probably being ignorant on this one.

It is limited compared to Windows.
Not hating on Mac I have both a Macbook Pro and an Asus desktop. Love em both they are two completely different machines and used for two different things.
May 27, 2012 @ 03:14
Not to be a pretentious asshole but the amount of oblivity in this thread amuses me.
May 27, 2012 @ 18:04
Some people will prefer Mac OS, some people will prefer Windows.

I personally like both. End.

May 27, 2012 @ 20:04
Some people will prefer Mac OS, some people will prefer Windows.

I personally like both. End.

Agreed. Both have their uses that's why I have both.
May 27, 2012 @ 22:47

Wiping is free, it's just reformatting and installing a non-OEM version of Windows. Sammy and Sony love to pack their laptops full of bloatware, gotta get rid of that. You'll need to get your hands on a copy of W7 though, but that's not hard, just torrent it or ask a friend.

Friend's Samsung Chronos(i7) was slower than my old HP(c2d) when he first got it because of that garbo they put on there. Wiped it, now it runs like a dream.

As for Mac being 'limited', nah, not really unless you're a big gamer. I find the OS is confusing whenever I use a friend's, but I'm sure they'd say the same about my laptop running Ubuntu.

narsha.narsha.narsha

May 28, 2012 @ 01:52

Wiping is free, it's just reformatting and installing a non-OEM version of Windows. Sammy and Sony love to pack their laptops full of bloatware, gotta get rid of that. You'll need to get your hands on a copy of W7 though, but that's not hard, just torrent it or ask a friend.

Friend's Samsung Chronos(i7) was slower than my old HP(c2d) when he first got it because of that garbo they put on there. Wiped it, now it runs like a dream.

As for Mac being 'limited', nah, not really unless you're a big gamer. I find the OS is confusing whenever I use a friend's, but I'm sure they'd say the same about my laptop running Ubuntu.

Thanks for the fb man.
Should I just wait for the upcoming laptops to drop?
I hear there are new laptops coming out next month, possibly with windows 8.
same as for mac, except a newer mbp?
thanks nigs.
May 28, 2012 @ 02:48

Thanks for the fb man.
Should I just wait for the upcoming laptops to drop?
I hear there are new laptops coming out next month, possibly with windows 8.
same as for mac, except a newer mbp?
thanks nigs.

New mbp is dropping soon so hold out if that is what you are looking for.
May 28, 2012 @ 02:51
lenovo u300s

killer

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/166901/

May 28, 2012 @ 18:01
I really like the ASUS Zen Book line. I don't know if they'll have an updated version soon, but there should be seeing as they're nearing a year old.

Last year's was decent though, top model is ~$1400(CAD) and features:
-i7
-4GB on board 1333mhz ddr3
-HD+ 1600x900 13.3" display
-9mm thick and 2.9;b
-256GB SSD
-50Wh battery

The next iteration would be amazing though, unless they ditch it in favour of the Transformer Infinity + Dock.

narsha.narsha.narsha

May 29, 2012 @ 08:30
Oh yeah, I checked that out when i was looking for laptops ^^.
But anyways, do you guys think i should hold out until the new vaio/mbp comes out?
If not i'm gonna end up buying the 13" or one of the vaios, but with the vaio i guess i need to wipe it clean? if anyone could hook it up with the details via pm thatd be sick.
Thanks for the inputs btw, appreciate it.

I'm looking for a school yet able to withstand games (sc2/d3). I like the feel of windows just because i've been using it all my life. Then again, i might be ignorant. Sorry if i'm about to start a huge flame war about mac vs pc, that isnt part of my intentions.
Gilly Suits
May 30, 2012 @ 11:27
Apple Store is down right now this usually means a refresh is coming.

Instagram: @gillysuits_

Gilly Suits
Jun 06, 2012 @ 02:05
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57447957-37/leaked-spec-label-details-revamped-15-inch-macbook-pro/

Jun 06, 2012 @ 20:29
The first comment ahahahahaha

Jun 06, 2012 @ 20:35
16GB RAM on a laptop is OD.
Jun 07, 2012 @ 16:28
16GB RAM on a laptop is OD.

not really. the fact that they're cramming 16gb of 1600mhz ddr3 alongside a 750gb spinning disc is baffling though. why not ssd standard? 256gb is more than enough given the prevalence of cloud and external storage options.

narsha.narsha.narsha

Jun 16, 2012 @ 20:55
With my yeezy money I was thinking of getting a gaming computer, heres a list of what I think would be good so can anyone give me any suggestions/ideas:
Sapphire 11196-00-40G HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K
128GB 2.5-inch SATA III Samsung SSD drive 830 series
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z68X-UD3H-B3
2X Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA Internal 24X DVD±RW Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB - 600 MBps - 7200 rpm
cheers
Jun 16, 2012 @ 21:31
I don't really know a whole lot about building rigs but I'm pretty sure you can get a better GPU than that one for around the same price.
And lol Sandybridge. Get an Ivybridge instead.
Jun 17, 2012 @ 01:03
With my yeezy money I was thinking of getting a gaming computer, heres a list of what I think would be good so can anyone give me any suggestions/ideas:
Sapphire 11196-00-40G HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K
128GB 2.5-inch SATA III Samsung SSD drive 830 series
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK
Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z68X-UD3H-B3
2X Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA Internal 24X DVD±RW Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB - 600 MBps - 7200 rpm
cheers

the 2500k is fine. swap out the hyper 212 and put in a noctua nh-d14.
Gilly Suits
Jun 17, 2012 @ 11:27
So I am prob gonna buy myself a new laptop for my birthday finally. I was wondering has anyone heard any rumors about the new Vizio notebook (Specs). I am getting the highest spec one as it will only cost me $1099 if I turn to it. I won't have enough for other than an Mac Air or 13-inch model Pro if anything. I like doing a lot on my computer from Music Programs to Gaming but I also need it for school as they require me to have a laptop. Also supposedly the notebooks are made with premium parts/better quality than TVs.

Jun 19, 2012 @ 21:01
Originally posted by Inactive User
So I am prob gonna buy myself a new laptop for my birthday finally. I was wondering has anyone heard any rumors about the new Vizio notebook (Specs). I am getting the highest spec one as it will only cost me $1099 if I turn to it. I won't have enough for other than an Mac Air or 13-inch model Pro if anything. I like doing a lot on my computer from Music Programs to Gaming but I also need it for school as they require me to have a laptop. Also supposedly the notebooks are made with premium parts/better quality than TVs.

If you're leaning towards macbooks and want a 13" Retina hold out until September - October since rumors are they're going to have a 13" Retina display. That's what i'm holding out on at least.. Hopefully the price is somewhat reasonable.
Jun 19, 2012 @ 22:00
Has anybody used the new samsung laptops? Its about time for me to replace my HP which I like very much I just hate how thick and heavy it is.
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0