Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
December 28, 2007 @ 06:44 PM
Stuntastic14

Just putting this out there...

Might sell the Gitane.

58cm squared.
Italian threading bottom bracket. Throwing in a Campagnolo 120 spindle.
Shimano 105 Road Cranks with Salsa 48t Chainring.
Silver MKS Sylvan Pedals w/MKS toe clips with black nylon straps.
KMC Silver BMX Chain.
Nitto Jaguar 100mm stem w/ Nitto RB 21 38cm Bullhorns.
32 hole 110mm Chrome Phil Wood Hubs laced to Silver DeepVs. w/ Soma Everlast tire (rear, one skid patch is starting.) Continental Ultrasport Tire in the front.
Random Kalin 25mm seat post.
Bianchi Pista Leapord print Saddle. Or never ridden, mounted once Brooks B17 Saddle in Black.

Looking between $850-900 for the whole thing.
Whisper if interested.

Again, just seeing how things go.

Thanks.
January 2, 2008 @ 06:48 AM
briankwan

January 2, 2008 @ 09:48 PM
BeanerwithBBC

Im so happy just got a vintage 1976 raleigh grand prix and i cant wait to convert it to fixed gear.

Ive ridden BMX and mountain bikes for the past decade rigorously, but ever since i rode my friends fixed gear bianchi pista, I fell in love with the one gear ratio and skid stops.

Just wondering, what gear ratio/ sprocket do you think would be high enough to get some moderate speed while still being able to climb massive hills.
January 2, 2008 @ 10:26 PM
bomber

It depends on on a lot of things (wheel size, crank length...and since this is a conversion - chain tension) but 48x16 seems to be a normal starting point. Probably have to experiment a little...thats half the fun.
January 2, 2008 @ 11:58 PM
owensA

Straight up, don't buy a fixed gear if you're in a hilly area. These bikes are made to be ridden in velodromes (indoor bike tracks) that are flat, they aren't made for non-level terrain. Get a city bike or a road bike, not a fixed gear if you're in a city like SF or something where hills are common, otherwise you're just gonna be another hipster on a fixed gear sweating your ass off on hills that could be climbed easily by a conventional road bike. Modern bikes have gears for a reason after all. Not to mention if you're bike is from '76 then the frame's gotta be stainless steel (meaning it's heavy) which doesn't lend itself well to making a fixed gear that you can ride efficiently or easily. The low weight of fixed gears is a main source of their appeal after all (at least to proper cyclists).
January 3, 2008 @ 05:56 PM
Peter Suh

I've got a vintage Grand Prix fixie also. Yeah, it's got a lugged steel frame.. but that's the beauty of vintage. Here's mine:

Not sure how you define "proper" cyclists..
January 3, 2008 @ 10:25 PM
BeanerwithBBC

owensA: there arent many hills steep hills where I live in LA but there are the occasional massively steep hills

I'm Broke: Is that nike on flickr.com? The day I got my bike I looked on flickr to see if anyone converted their raleigh, and i saved that pic on my computer cause i looked like what I want my raleigh to be like. How is your frame so pristine?
January 4, 2008 @ 08:05 AM
Peter Suh

Yes, the bike is from my flickr account. There are chips all over the paint and it's not pristine at all cool
January 8, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
Electric Devil

Very nice bike man.I want a road bike but my wallet and apartment wont allow it .Especially me already having a Flatland bike
January 15, 2008 @ 02:11 PM
savier610

Here's my giant bowery

Pretty standard
just ordered a new seat and some drop handlebars.

Just to respond to people who rag on fixed gear bikes..

I started riding fixed gear because my roommate was a huge bike enthusiast and had been building them(fixed gears) for several years. He showed me how to put them together and maintain them and quite honestly I enjoy it. There is very few parts to maintain and none of the parts, unless you buy fashionable accessories, are that expensive. I am no where near mechanically inclined so I have little to no idea how gears and and shifters work. These bikes are easy for me to understand and maintain all by myself which is a huge plus being a poor college student. I agree that it has become quite trendy to ride them and alot of kids seem to lack any knowledge as to how their bike is put together, but there are those out there who ride it because they like it, not because of the trend.

Anyways....
January 17, 2008 @ 05:23 AM
Electric Devil

nice bike man i like the style clean and simple.
i wouldnt worry too much about being mechanically inclined,as time goes and it's time to replace or fix something you'll get experience from it (being that your roomate helps you).Thats how i learned how to fix my bike and i never took any of them to the bike shop well only except when i needed to have my spokes trued lol.
January 18, 2008 @ 03:19 AM
frank101

hi,
I hope someone might be able to help me?! Im looking for all white tires
for my single speed bike. Been beiing build for some time now, but I really
need them to finish the picture. Doesnt matter if they have to come from
japan or whatever!
Thanks all.
January 18, 2008 @ 03:16 PM
January 18, 2008 @ 11:20 PM
DjBooduh209

My bike smile

January 24, 2008 @ 09:25 AM
Electric Devil

hi,
I hope someone might be able to help me?! Im looking for all white tires
for my single speed bike. Been beiing build for some time now, but I really
need them to finish the picture. Doesnt matter if they have to come from
japan or whatever!
Thanks all.

Theyre white but dunno if these are exactly what you looking for in size though but here you go
www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=10161&category=180
February 2, 2008 @ 11:18 AM
frank101

ThnQ^,
but I got some gran compe coming from japan!

DjB: too much going on for me likeing, but you
ve used damn sick parts!

I'il post mine up soon, almost done.
February 2, 2008 @ 11:28 AM
Ma Duce

boodah, what happened to your pista concept?

and please don't tell me that's a sup sticker on your bike..

lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

February 20, 2008 @ 11:45 PM
DE LUCKS

i'm looking for a fixed gear bicycle. i hardly know anything about them other than they're light and a good source of transportation which i really need. can anyone reccomend a reliable company that is fairly inexpensive?

thanks
February 26, 2008 @ 06:32 PM
beto213

I'm going through the process of learning about fixed bikes / single speed and learning about putting together and maintaining a bike in general. I wanted to share probably the most useful website on the web on the subject of fixed bikes, at least that I've found sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

most of the bike forums that i've lurked at talk about that website with reverence and respect.

and this is keith huf's fixed bike i thought was pretty sweet
February 27, 2008 @ 02:50 PM
ryanone

been riding track bikes for quite some time now... started off riding BMX (racing) for the ABA and NBL back in the late 80's in NJ/PA/NY - all the way out to Oklahoma... reside in Jersey City, can be seen on the streets of JC and NYC... pic of my Nagasawa... more on velospace...

March 26, 2008 @ 06:33 PM
Dc2849

I've seen that bike on NYFixed I think.. it's a beauty.
March 27, 2008 @ 05:19 AM
xcamx

lots of nice bikes in here

just picked up an se lager for the commute to work everyday, nothing spesh but does the trick and was decent price
March 30, 2008 @ 03:24 PM
Killypants

ayo ya'll ride drops? i do now too but i'm tryin to buy some bulls cause i dont want to be a hunchback when i'm 40 (i'm a tall guy it's a long way to lean)
March 31, 2008 @ 11:02 AM
owensA

^^unless you're freakishly large you might as well get a frame that's your size and you shouldn't have an issue w/ drops (i'm 6 ft which isn't short but not particularly tall and i've never felt awkward on my frame). Plus if you're tall, drop bars are great b/c they're meant to decrease wind resistance which, as you're a big guy, will be factor in your riding.

and if you can, you don't need to buy bull horn bars at all, just cut the bottom of your drops and turn em upside down! Save yourself some cash
April 1, 2008 @ 12:33 AM

Inactive

more fuel for the fire. also check out kingdom in SF....king cog in nyc and of course track star. i got to see a brooklyn machine works gangsta track in person and its sick. welds are perfect

April 7, 2008 @ 07:16 PM
camthraxFHK

Any reason I shouldn't get Weinman 18s for a conversion? Or are velocity rims worth the extra money?
May 5, 2008 @ 07:02 PM
DjBooduh209

Awwwsheeeet: you finish your bike?

Just swopped everything over to my new frame.
My old brassknuckle is for sale. PM for details
May 7, 2008 @ 02:15 AM
adrian

^^

Sweet bike DjBooduh. You guys and your expensive bikes make me jealous smile

Here's a pic of my conversion:

Not the best bike, but it gets me around. No clips/straps in the pic cause I'm getting new ones heh
May 7, 2008 @ 03:38 AM
Cali Agent

If any of you are looking for a FIXIE, INVISIBLE STRIPES has 1
FUJI X OBEY FIXED GEAR BIKE

Bike Specifications:
Size: 52
Color: Matte Black with graphics by OBEY
Main frame: Fuji Elios 2 custom butted Cro-Moly Round Tubes joined by Traditional Lugs, No water bottle mounts, No bosses
Rear triangle: Fuji Elios 2 custom tapered Cro-Moly with Traditional Lugs and track dropout, bridge drilled for rear brake
Fork: Fuji 1" Cro-Moly w/ Lugged Crown, Curved blades with round profile, drilled for front brake
Crankset: Custom Miche Primato, 48T
Bottom bracket: Miche
Pedals: Wellgo Track pedals w/ custom gold anodized cage, steel toe clip & Leather Double Toe Strap
Cassette: 18T Fixed Track Cog
Chain: KMC Z410, gold
Wheelset: Formula Hubs w/ Alex Crostini Rims & black stainless spokes w/ gold nipples
Tires: Continental UltraSport 700x23c
Tubes: Kenda presta tubes
Headset: First Gold Anodized threaded
Handlebar: Custom Fuji Gold Anodized quill style stem
Saddle: Brooks Swift Leather w/ Cro-Moly rails
Seat Post: custom Fuji gold anodized

For inquiries go to www.invisiblestripes.com/
May 7, 2008 @ 09:23 AM

Inactive

Ok so I know nothing about Fixies but I've been thinking of purchasing a bike for a while now. Any suggestions on price, model etc... for starters?

Please login first to reply.