FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
November 12, 2007 @ 11:26 AM
owensA

^^Don't they come with drop handlebars though? Why would you get rid of the more aerodynamic option?
November 12, 2007 @ 12:11 PM
Ma Duce

they're more comfortable imo. plus, i don't race; mainly just cruise with my friends. it's also easier to do tricks with those bars.

lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

November 13, 2007 @ 01:23 AM
BeanerwithBBC

anyone have a link to a place where i can get help on building a fixie. I have an old track bike frame that oddly enough i found in a sewer. Im thinking that i simply strip off the brakes, but what is to be done to the gears in order to make it a true fixed gear?
November 13, 2007 @ 02:11 PM
camthraxFHK

whats the average price for a beginniner fixie? like 400?

i found this one:
pacbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1507

i plan on reading up as much as i can about fixies tommorrow when i get home. right now i'm hurting for a new method of transportation since my car starts about 1/4th the time sad

Im pretty sure you would have to change the hub if you bought the milano. Also, a brand new fixie will cost you at least $500. I would go hunting around your town for an old road frame (your own garage even), and then convert. It helps to have friends who know what's up. Fixie wheel sets cost like $300 minimum, no way around it.

anyone have a link to a place where i can get help on building a fixie. I have an old track bike frame that oddly enough i found in a sewer. Im thinking that i simply strip off the brakes, but what is to be done to the gears in order to make it a true fixed gear?

Why did the track bike have gears?! Or is it a road bike? A fixed gear would involve getting a hub on the back wheel that doesnt rotate independent of the chain and the chainring. You would also buy a chainring and a chain, and well probably pay a bike shop to do it. This probably wouldnt cost you much money. My friend did it in a weekend.
November 13, 2007 @ 03:40 PM

Inactive

Im pretty sure you would have to change the hub if you bought the milano. Also, a brand new fixie will cost you at least $500. I would go hunting around your town for an old road frame (your own garage even), and then convert. It helps to have friends who know what's up. Fixie wheel sets cost like $300 minimum, no way around it.

There are quite a few brand new track bikes out there now for $300 - $400.
November 13, 2007 @ 03:47 PM
owensA

I'm sure you could easily find a guide online on how to convert into a fixed gear. Fixies are the most simple bikes available and stripping some old parts off a geared bike, adding a few new ones, and making it fixed isn't hard at all. Getting a bike shop to do it would be a real waste of money if you have the slightest knowledge of bike mechanics; plus you'd be robbing yourself of a good day or two in the garage which IMO is fun for those of us that are into bikes and learning how shit works. If you put your bike together you're much more likely to be able to properly upkeep and repair your bike when it runs into problems. Plus the money you saved from putting it together can be put toward handlebar tape, new wheels/tires, etc.

Hell even if you're far from knowledgeable about bikes if you're good with your hands, have a tool set (as any bike owner should own), and some propensity for mechanics then you should be fine and you'll come out much wiser. Find a guide online and if you get stuck go to your local bike shop; even go to the shop beforehand and ask for some pointers. Bike mechanics are really some of the nicest folks around and tend to be more than willing to help fellow riders out.

And yeah, I'd assume beaner just found a road bike or perhaps a single speed in the sewer. Also if the bike you found has a horizontal dropout the conversion will be considerably easier.
November 13, 2007 @ 07:52 PM
StrghtCshHMY

Unknown force, check out Craigslist in your area. Tons of quality bikes just waiting to be bought. You can find a good, used 10 speed for less than $150. All you really need is a qualiy frame. You can add on handlebars, wheels, tires, and pedals later and for cheap.

And like OwensA said, converting a geared bike to fixed/singlespeed is alot of fun. How many things of yours can say you made yourself? Grab your monkey wrench, some beers, and go to work.
November 14, 2007 @ 06:39 PM
unknown force.

i've been searching craigslist. hopefully i'll find a nice frame. thanks a lot for the tips smile
November 15, 2007 @ 02:46 PM
owensA

^^keep up on it. I got my road bike off craigslist (not a fixie btw). 30 year old fuji in perfect condition, not an ounce of rust. It took me a few weeks b/c time after time i'd email or call up the lister and the bike i'd wanted would be sold, persistence is key so keep your eyes on craigslist.
November 15, 2007 @ 03:09 PM
Quickstriker

Track Bikes, What's The Deal?
Must be a city thing, cause out here colorful track bikes are everywhere! Anyone else seeing the trend in their area?
November 15, 2007 @ 03:30 PM
owensA

^^ya the fixed-gear thing is a big fad in cities now. I always see some art school, skinny jean hipster types riding em around. I got a road bike (i like my gears) and I make it a point to pass people on fixed gears and show em what a proper road bike is all about smile . There's a big thread on this in sports and fitness btw.

I can't explain why all of the sudden every hipster in town is riding one though. I think there are a bunch of fixed gear web sites where people post their bikes and that might be part of the cause.
November 15, 2007 @ 04:13 PM
unknown force.

how much does it cost to do conversions on average if i get like a 21 speed? cause i found a brand new Windsor the Hour for $299, it has a flip-flop hub already installed. would just need to pick up some front brakes.
November 15, 2007 @ 04:13 PM
Quickstriker

Sorry I didn't know there was another thread. I will check that one out. Thanks
November 15, 2007 @ 04:27 PM
Quickstriker

The fixie trend is huge out here in the SF BAy area. A lot of dudes ain't even messengers but ride and spend a couple of grand on a bike. I was just trying to find out the appeal. They're nice bikes no doubt, but I tried to ride one, and to me they feel too stiff and ridgid for me. And you kind of gotta work up your speed to go fast. Plus they hurt my balls haha and as far as speed goes I smoked a few dudes on fixies with the bikes I ride so I was wondering what's the real appeal?
November 15, 2007 @ 05:06 PM
Stuntastic14

The fuck? Stiff and rigid?

Either you were on some janky ass fixed gear or youre frail... But fixed gears are one of the smoothest bikes...
It doesnt take much to go fast on a fixed gear. You pedal.
November 15, 2007 @ 05:31 PM
Quickstriker

The fuck? Stiff and rigid?

Either you were on some janky ass fixed gear or youre frail... But fixed gears are one of the smoothest bikes...
It doesnt take much to go fast on a fixed gear. You pedal.

Not even, the bikes I tried were high end bikes. They just feel tougher to pedal from a stand still position than the bikes I'm used to riding. That's all. No need to get offended.
November 15, 2007 @ 06:08 PM
Stuntastic14

Offended? No.

I dont get how you find it to be stiff. If you ever get to RIDING the bike, youll notice how smooth the ride is. You dont worry about shifting gears to slow down/speed up and what not.
You wanna go fast, you pedal. You wanna slow down, you pedal.

Original appeal for the bikes, is how simple they are.
Appeal now, is you get into this "scene." Tricks and shit.
Now its all a gimmick. The appeal is the looks youll get from people.
Same with shoes.
November 15, 2007 @ 06:23 PM
owensA

Not even, the bikes I tried were high end bikes. They just feel tougher to pedal from a stand still position than the bikes I'm used to riding. That's all. No need to get offended.

ya well you're stuck w/ one gear ratio which isn't exactly conducive to the smooth ride at different speeds you'd expect from a regular bike. On a regular bike you start out in a low gear then move on up as you gain speed so you're used to pedaling at the same cadence which i suppose is what makes them produce a smooth ride. I'm a mountain biker first (been mt biking since 2nd grade) and road biker second so I'm always used to multigeared bikes and it'd be weird to change rhythm for me. I don't like fixies personally, just don't think they're particularly practical and as a longtime biker I think I might have a bit of a hipster backlash toward all these artsy, girl jean wearing types jumping onto the bike culture, as inherently stupid and unwarranted as that may seem (i'd still rather see people on bikes than in cars no doubt, but I think ppl taking up biking to be hip is pretty lame) . I doubt they'll be as popular a few years from now, it really seems to be a fad and I'm not sure how it started but i suppose the whole bike messenger aesthetic has been adopted by hipsters for years though, starting with messenger bags, carbineers, and what not.
November 15, 2007 @ 09:29 PM
Quickstriker

ya well you're stuck w/ one gear ratio which isn't exactly conducive to the smooth ride at different speeds you'd expect from a regular bike. On a regular bike you start out in a low gear then move on up as you gain speed so you're used to pedaling at the same cadence which i suppose is what makes them produce a smooth ride. I'm a mountain biker first (been mt biking since 2nd grade) and road biker second so I'm always used to multigeared bikes and it'd be weird to change rhythm for me. I don't like fixies personally, just don't think they're particularly practical and as a longtime biker I think I might have a bit of a hipster backlash toward all these artsy, girl jean wearing types jumping onto the bike culture, as inherently stupid and unwarranted as that may seem (i'd still rather see people on bikes than in cars no doubt, but I think ppl taking up biking to be hip is pretty lame) . I doubt they'll be as popular a few years from now, it really seems to be a fad and I'm not sure how it started but i suppose the whole bike messenger aesthetic has been adopted by hipsters for years though, starting with messenger bags, carbineers, and what not.

See this is what I'm thinking. The track bike thing is a strong fad right now. It seems like everyone is trying to be down. Everyone dresses the same in their skin tight Metallica pants and messenger bags, riding colorful bikes in purple and neon green, with tiny handlebars, doing weird tricks. Kind of reminds me of the Freestyle BMX trend in the 80s when the bikes started getting more colorful and dudes started doing funny bike tricks on em. I ride a one gear bike. Have always rode a one gear bike and was never into multi geared bikes or mountain bikes. And I don;t understand. I think the bikes I rid are more practical and might even be a faster smoother ride in the city or on dirt. Just trying to understand the appeal a little more that's all.
November 16, 2007 @ 08:44 PM
briankwan

November 17, 2007 @ 03:09 PM
49cc

the ruckus is the new fixie. all the fun without the pedaling.

November 20, 2007 @ 10:16 PM
Stuntastic14

Nu Shuz

Blang blang.
November 21, 2007 @ 10:41 PM
e

the ruckus is the new fixie. all the fun without the pedaling.

How much and are they totally street legal?
November 23, 2007 @ 05:22 PM
49cc

^they cost about 2500.00 or so from the honda dealer.

yes, they are street legal. they go about 45mph and get 100mpg. i pay $100/year for liability insurance and these things are infinitely customziable.

it's really a no brainer if you commute around town. i even park mine on the sidewalks just like my bmx bike.

these things are stupid fun to ride...
November 25, 2007 @ 09:49 PM
e

DK if this been posted but on mashsf.com/ they got some dope ass vids... and they got a dvd releasing soon...
November 27, 2007 @ 02:48 AM
Stuntastic14

DK if this been posted but on mashsf.com/ they got some dope ass vids... and they got a dvd releasing soon...

...News to me...
December 2, 2007 @ 08:26 PM
papa_smurf

my Swobo Sanchez. sorry for really large crappy cell picks heres some better ones www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_b.php?cPath=201_208.
December 5, 2007 @ 03:15 PM
Stuntastic14

The frame on those bikes are funky as fuck. But I kinda dig em.

Does yours have the bottle opener under the seat?
December 7, 2007 @ 10:10 PM
papa_smurf

The frame on those bikes are funky as fuck. But I kinda dig em.

Does yours have the bottle opener under the seat?

Yeah it does, but theres no point because im underage to drink alcohol. The frames look kinda funky but it has the same feel as every other frame ive riden on, im not a big fan of the color but i might paint it.
December 11, 2007 @ 10:17 PM
unknown force.

picked this up today after a long time searching. well worth it cool handlebars are extremelyyyyy comfortable
just need to get a fixed cog and put it on the other side since it's single-speed atm

Please login first to reply.