March 2, 2006 @ 01:30 PM
vandaldunk

I mean is it jus me cuz jus about every independent store I been in the employees there with the exeptions of a few, have idiots for employees. Its jus bad service by people who dont give a fuc and walk around, or stand there mindless. I would rather walk i the back and get the shit myself than ask for help cuz when I do I'll get some blank stare:stoneface:. Either that or their head will be huge cuz they work at the store. Most of the time they cant even answer the phone properly. :rolleyes: Anyone feel me on this?
March 2, 2006 @ 01:33 PM

Inactive

...were you just at Supreme in L.A.?
March 2, 2006 @ 01:35 PM
vandaldunk

naw jus hit up soho ny, and boston ma
March 2, 2006 @ 01:49 PM

Inactive

next time they give you an attitude remind them they work retail.

that should shut them right up
March 2, 2006 @ 01:58 PM
DrewDogg

Yeah, i kinda noticed that too man. Bad service, unfriendly demeanors. The point of the business is to sell the fucking product, not make the customer feel uncomfortable and unwanted.
March 2, 2006 @ 02:43 PM
Trend_Setter

man thats 90 percent of all retail workers that have atitudes independent or not. But the ones with the best services be Victoria Secret and chic stores, everytime I go up in one of them, I get immediate help, a few times they try to get at me but thats was when I had a girl, so I couldn't take the bait.
March 3, 2006 @ 03:14 AM

Inactive

next time they give you an attitude remind them they work retail.

that should shut them right up

i like that its so true
March 3, 2006 @ 11:04 AM

Inactive

Yo, for real, if you're just polite and cheery, you won't have problems, almost guarantee it.
You don't have to act all hard if you're in a store buying shit - be nice and personable and I bet you'll get a much better response.
I'm not saying any of you guys were going into shops trying to be tough and shit, I'm just saying a good attitude will get you pretty far - even in snobby joints.
March 3, 2006 @ 11:56 AM
aron

Yo, for real, if you're just polite and cheery, you won't have problems, almost guarantee it.
You don't have to act all hard if you're in a store buying shit - be nice and personable and I bet you'll get a much better response.
I'm not saying any of you guys were going into shops trying to be tough and shit, I'm just saying a good attitude will get you pretty far - even in snobby joints.

Eh, the problem is that I think most of the staff in these independent stores usually act hard just cuz they work there! I was at a certain store, all cheery, good mood, trying to buy a mike tee, and when I was trying to pay, they were having troubles with their computerized payment system. Instead of bitching, I mentioned something about how I thought apple machines are supposed to be rock solid (the computer she was using was glitching up and freezing), then the girl just smirks, rolls her eyes at me, and looks the other way without even humoring me with a pointless reply. So, I pay, MORE than what the tag says, cuz supposedly the tag was wrong and the system came up with a different price, and she doesn't even say sorry, have a nice day, or good bye and just walks off! What kinda crapass service is that. And it's like this everytime I go. Well, beggars can't be choosers I guess, cuz it's one of the best stores in my area in terms of their product line, but damn the service is horrid.

Whenever I go to Gap or Levis or one of the mainstream retail outlets, everyone is at least cheerful! Not to mention if I go to holt renfrew (the highend department store in Canada), people bend over back to serve you!
March 3, 2006 @ 12:49 PM
Berzerker Doo

Eh, the problem is that I think most of the staff in these independent stores usually act hard just cuz they work there! I was at a certain store, all cheery, good mood, trying to buy a mike tee, and when I was trying to pay, they were having troubles with their computerized payment system. Instead of bitching, I mentioned something about how I thought apple machines are supposed to be rock solid (the computer she was using was glitching up and freezing), then the girl just smirks, rolls her eyes at me, and looks the other way without even humoring me with a pointless reply. So, I pay, MORE than what the tag says, cuz supposedly the tag was wrong and the system came up with a different price, and she doesn't even say sorry, have a nice day, or good bye and just walks off! What kinda crapass service is that. And it's like this everytime I go. Well, beggars can't be choosers I guess, cuz it's one of the best stores in my area in terms of their product line, but damn the service is horrid.

Whenever I go to Gap or Levis or one of the mainstream retail outlets, everyone is at least cheerful! Not to mention if I go to holt renfrew (the highend department store in Canada), people bend over back to serve you!

word! i get that "i'm better than you because i work here" mean mug at least 83% of the time. like they want to clothes and shoe battle you. big ups to the people that say "what up" to you with a smiley face :D .
March 3, 2006 @ 01:36 PM
vandaldunk

the problem is street culture is blowing up. So you get these dick head workers who dont have to give a fuck, cuz they know the items they sell are limited. Basically the item's gonna sell itself so natrully they can be asses and still get paid wit commission.
March 3, 2006 @ 02:19 PM

Inactive

I think it has to do with the fact that places like Gap and Levi's, which are large corporations, pick from a larger pool when hiring, and also have the means to provide standardized training (even as a stockboy in high school who NEVER worked in the front, I had to watch those videos...). So there is a culture in those places where it is a priority that customers be treated with respect. Independent stores don't have these tools.

I was at an independent shoe store where a kid working there totally forgot that I requested to try on a shoe, instead focusing on trying to sell a pair of sneaks to a friend I was with. Never mind the fact that my friend was getting a $40 cons, and I was interested in $100 Nikes. My friend, who loved the shoes at first, in the end didn't want to buy them because the kid's attitude seemed like it was expected that he would complete the sale, no matter how little he knew (how to work the computer or where to go to the stockroom to find out what sizes they had) or how little he cared.
March 3, 2006 @ 03:02 PM

Inactive

...you get these dick head workers who dont have to give a fuck, cuz they know the items they sell are limited. Basically the item's gonna sell itself so natrully they can be asses and still get paid wit commission.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that's true and although we're guessing as to why the customer service fails, I'll point to one exception: Undefeated. These guys single-handedly ushered sneaker culture to L.A. and have had more Nike/adidas/whatever collabo's than any other retail establishment in the world...yet they never fail to have outstanding customer service.
August 2, 2008 @ 01:24 PM
++Phil

discuss.
August 2, 2008 @ 01:36 PM
modernART

I've never had bad experiences at any of the places that usually get hated on. I know a lot of people say stuff about Supreme and Huf, etc., but everything has gone well in all my times there, but then again I don't look like a "hypebeast." It's usually the dudes who try to stunt hella hard just to go shopping who probably get dissed haha.

Another thing, I kinda like my service impersonal. I hate it when I walk into a mall store and the worker is riding my sack. I usually just go into these "boutiques," get my shit, and chop it up at the register. I usually never ask for help and when I do, asking for sizes is no biggie.

one more thing- diamond and huf probably have the best service. bunch of chill workers.
August 2, 2008 @ 01:42 PM
++Phil

i agree completely w/ everything you said

flight club, the hundreds and undftd have some of the best service
August 2, 2008 @ 01:45 PM
modernART

i agree completely w/ everything you said

flight club, the hundreds and undftd have some of the best service

^ yup, cosign on those stores too.
August 2, 2008 @ 01:55 PM
pnsho

Name the SoHo stores you had problems with.
August 2, 2008 @ 02:53 PM
Kasper

The dudes at Clietele are pretty chill. Never had problems. but, those dicklickers at Supreme, and DQM are such douches. They act like they work at a Chanel boutique or some shit. Fuck them!
August 2, 2008 @ 03:13 PM
siberianzebra

i thought the people at Supreme were helpful when i went.

the commonwealth in DC has dope ass customer service and the people up in there are real friendly and helpful and sometimes even hook a nigguh up with discounts off the chill.

i prefer my shopping experience to be less of them selling me shit and more of me buying what i like. my manager at my store (which is a corporate, "urban" shoestore) hates the service there but he'd rather 700 people greet him and badger him throughout his stay at the store.

http://flickr.com/antoinebeme http://antoineraps.tumblr.com http://twitter.com/antoineraps

August 2, 2008 @ 03:26 PM
AlwayS_DreSSeD

My friend went into Supreme LA with about 2 thou in his wallet. The dudes was being all rude and shit so he sonned them. He said "Ayo why the fuck you gotta be so rude to your customers? ***** you work retail. *Pulls out cash* You see this shit? I was ready to spend that here but fuck y'all." The employees tried to be all nice and shit after that, we left.

www.NickyDsss.com

August 2, 2008 @ 03:49 PM
clou

It sucks to hear that all these shops have such bad service. My local stores (Goodfoot, Livestock, Roden Gray, Illustrated Example) have always been really good, even when I walk out the stores empty handed. Goodfoot even gives me additional discounts sometimes, and it's not like I'm in the store every week either, maybe once every 2 or 3 months. The employees at Goods in Seattle seemed really friendly when I was there, and same with In4mation and Island Snow in Waikiki. I'm hitting up San Fran, Vegas, and LA next week so I'll see how that goes.
August 2, 2008 @ 03:59 PM
hypism.

I haven't really experienced that in any stores around here. Just fight them if they talk shit.. I don't see the big deal. Tell em to come outside real quick.
August 2, 2008 @ 04:06 PM
LogIc

i never had a bad experience with any soho stores..like modernart said..u cant go in there looking like a hypebeast and suckinoff the workers ,tryin to be friends with them and shit
August 2, 2008 @ 05:45 PM
ThePepperSkull

How would you feel when you make minimum wage and get no commision? Bad enough I don't like most people as it is.

QFT. i work in a restaurant and people are fucking dicks. trust me, I start off every day courteous and polie and by the end of the day I'm just bitter and cynical.
August 2, 2008 @ 11:06 PM
Calborn

some of the boutiques here in downtown san jo have some workers that totally dogg and judge the instant a person walks in.
total hype at its finest

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.

August 2, 2008 @ 11:33 PM
++Phil

It sucks to hear that all these shops have such bad service. My local stores (Goodfoot, Livestock, Roden Gray, Illustrated Example) have always been really good, even when I walk out the stores empty handed. Goodfoot even gives me additional discounts sometimes, and it's not like I'm in the store every week either, maybe once every 2 or 3 months. The employees at Goods in Seattle seemed really friendly when I was there, and same with In4mation and Island Snow in Waikiki. I'm hitting up San Fran, Vegas, and LA next week so I'll see how that goes.

cosign on In4mation in Waikiki, i was there a few months ago and the guys there were really cool about everything
August 2, 2008 @ 11:46 PM
Ed.Hooligan

I was in SoHo last year hitting up FlightClub, and I must say the employees there were MAD chill...as busy as it gets in there, they maintain their cool and talk w/ you and whatnot. I took my mom w/ me on that trip, and she's an older arabic Muslim woman who dons a scarf, the manager @ FC talked to yus for like 20 minutes about how his dad is Muslim and taught him arabic and blah blah...

Gdft/Ransom in Toronto were chill, but very quiet. However the dudes @ Cartel in Toronto were extra extra extra nice, cmoney n them. I'm actually back in Toronto right now and def going back to shop w/ Cartel. Great service = happy customer = return customer

www.soundcloud.com/EdHooligan

August 3, 2008 @ 12:14 AM
Tyler.Durden

I havent really had many negative experiences- someone said DQM people are dicks, every time i've gone there they've been cool. supreme it all depends on what workers are there- sometimes they're cool, other times they're kinda cold.
August 3, 2008 @ 01:17 AM
STNDRD

Its not like that in chicago. Most of the street wear shop owers/ workers are chill.

Please login first to reply.