Halloween Sale - Up to 25% Off Your Entire Order - Use Code: NOTRICKS14
July 5, 2006 @ 02:17 AM

Inactive

STICKY THIS

Ok, post any screen printing questions here, I get PMs about printing stuff all the time. It seems I've become some sort of printing-guru to the hypebeast masses...probably having more to do the amount of time on here than the amount of printing knowledge I have...I'm just a beginner myself.

But there are people who know there shit here.

So ask away!
July 5, 2006 @ 05:51 AM

Inactive

did you make your own lightbox

and if so, how

thanks xoxo
July 5, 2006 @ 10:19 AM

Inactive

^Nope, my exposing setup is just a 150w lamp.

But here's how you make a cheap lightbox:

www.geocities.com/pcpiecers/lightbox.html
July 5, 2006 @ 12:41 PM
bapelong

wat the helllllllllllll is a lightbox, well if you can just use a lamp like you dum, would you really need one?
July 5, 2006 @ 12:52 PM
Whizz

Just get a dark room with a baddass lamp.
July 5, 2006 @ 12:54 PM
HOBOtheLabRat

a light box is gonna give you a much shorter amount of time needed for exposing the screen and also a more unifom exposure (less chance of under exposing areas of the screen)
July 5, 2006 @ 12:55 PM
Whizz

^ That was really unhelpful, but I got my screenprinting kit today and once i've set it up i'll photograph it all for everyone.
July 5, 2006 @ 01:27 PM

Inactive

I'll make a photo tutorial next time I print tees, there's lots of them online already..but it'll be fun.
July 5, 2006 @ 01:49 PM
jaywalkent

this isnt exactly about screenprinting. but wat exactly is vector art or whatever? i got designs in my head and on paper but i need to put them on the computer with vectors. i have illustrator and photoshop but im not great with them.
July 5, 2006 @ 01:50 PM

Inactive

Well Illustrator is used to created vectors, just learn to use the pen tool.
July 5, 2006 @ 01:56 PM
jaywalkent

so i just trace my image with the pen tool?
July 5, 2006 @ 02:01 PM

Inactive

Yep, pretty much.
July 5, 2006 @ 02:20 PM
HOBOtheLabRat

this is a basic lightbox
and
this is similar to what DUM is using (I imagine) just with a more powerful light.
July 5, 2006 @ 02:23 PM
Whizz

^I'm using the second option.
July 5, 2006 @ 02:28 PM
dblockdosmil

ive done it using a strong ass lamp and it came out good and its cheaper
July 5, 2006 @ 02:42 PM
HOBOtheLabRat

yeah the lamp works I would recomend a little stronger then 150w but it seems to be working for DUM I don't know how long he lets it sit tho.
July 5, 2006 @ 02:49 PM

Inactive

^oh yeah I definitely need a stronger one, I let it sit for about an hour last time and one side was still underexposed.
July 5, 2006 @ 03:10 PM
etcetera

Well Illustrator is used to created vectors, just learn to use the pen tool.

does this have anything to do with an electronic writing pad that connects to your computer?
July 5, 2006 @ 03:15 PM
Whizz

No it is actually a tool that allows you to click (and stop) whilst following a line/design instead of dragging(continuous) whilst following a line. It also creates enough points for any dodginess in the line created to be smoothed out.

The other thing you're talking about is a graphics tablet, another thing you can use in design.
July 5, 2006 @ 03:46 PM
July 5, 2006 @ 04:33 PM
etcetera

No it is actually a tool that allows you to click (and stop) whilst following a line/design instead of dragging(continuous) whilst following a line. It also creates enough points for any dodginess in the line created to be smoothed out.

The other thing you're talking about is a graphics tablet, another thing you can use in design.

so y not jus use the graphics tablet, it seems easier in theory...
July 5, 2006 @ 04:41 PM
HOBOtheLabRat

the pen tool gives straighter smoother lines
July 5, 2006 @ 04:42 PM
Whizz

so y not jus use the graphics tablet, it seems easier in theory...

It's preference, if you want to draw free hand then yes it is easier but if you're drawing but copying over a design a mouse is better.
July 5, 2006 @ 05:04 PM
etcetera

alright thx much, imma chec ebay for sum graphics tablets cuz im not too comfortable w/ a mouse anyway, i use a laptop and loved myself for seeing what i cud do if i ent into ms paint started writing with my finger...sry bout the ramble, it one of the many magical small moments that made me want to start doing clothes...
July 5, 2006 @ 07:27 PM
bert_STi

this isnt exactly about screenprinting. but wat exactly is vector art or whatever? i got designs in my head and on paper but i need to put them on the computer with vectors. i have illustrator and photoshop but im not great with them.

to answer this more completely, vector art is primarially used for the purpose that the art can is ultimately scalable, meaning that the lines, shapes, colors etc. are all based on mathematical equation. so for example if a shape is drawn at the size of 1 inch, the exact shape can be reproduced at 10 inches or so on.

this is oppsed to raster art which is based one the positioning of where pixels of color are placed. when raster art is enlarged in reality what is happening is that pixels are becoming enlarged themselfs.

each have their own benefits and i have seen plenty of shirts that use a combination of both. i.e. vectors for logos, raster for photographic images

i have been schooled in the art/trade of screen printing and have been doing it regularly now for about 2 years. i feel like i have a good grasp of what is going on in the industry of screen printing but mostly on the manual side. if there are any questions as well id be glad to help.
July 6, 2006 @ 01:25 AM

Inactive

Yeah well the pen tool isn't really tracing with a mouse, so it doesn't matter how good you are with a mouse. The pen tool is also free...unlike a wacom tablet.
July 6, 2006 @ 10:21 AM
jaywalkent

to answer this more completely, vector art is primarially used for the purpose that the art can is ultimately scalable, meaning that the lines, shapes, colors etc. are all based on mathematical equation. so for example if a shape is drawn at the size of 1 inch, the exact shape can be reproduced at 10 inches or so on.

this is oppsed to raster art which is based one the positioning of where pixels of color are placed. when raster art is enlarged in reality what is happening is that pixels are becoming enlarged themselfs.

each have their own benefits and i have seen plenty of shirts that use a combination of both. i.e. vectors for logos, raster for photographic images

i have been schooled in the art/trade of screen printing and have been doing it regularly now for about 2 years. i feel like i have a good grasp of what is going on in the industry of screen printing but mostly on the manual side. if there are any questions as well id be glad to help.

good looks
July 7, 2006 @ 01:13 AM
etcetera

Yeah well the pen tool isn't really tracing with a mouse, so it doesn't matter how good you are with a mouse. The pen tool is also free...unlike a wacom tablet.

ok...1 major problem i have to face is that my dad deleted all the graphical editing software from our computer becuz i gave it a random name and he was trying to free up space and i cant find my photoshop cds anywhere...is anyone willing to take time to find out hw i can get all the major graphics editing software free? i can jus get a replacement photoshop tho...plz n thx in advance
July 7, 2006 @ 01:50 AM

Inactive

Limewire.
July 7, 2006 @ 04:18 PM
modernART

Dum,

What do you use to hold down the screen onto the shirt when you are ready to run the squeegee on the screen and apply the ink?

I've seen a few tutorials where people have used weights and some where people have the actual device that clamps the screen down onto the shirt, or so it appears that way.

What's your technique?

Please login first to reply.