Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
April 17, 2012 @ 08:10 PM
thrillmatic

From what I know, there's an over-saturation of rappers and producers today. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum knows someone that wants to be a rapper or producer in order to make a living. I know I do.

My question is: why? You're expendable/replaceable, lose your privacy and have to constantly tour if you want to make yourself known nationwide. You're practically living in 4 different time zones.

For every Big Sean or Lex Luger there's at least 50,000 no-names who will never be able to break into the industry because of a lack of talent/originality or an inability to create connections early on.

Doctors, engineers and lawyers make just as much as much as Twistas, Joe Buddens and Bun Bs of the industry. From various on-line and in-print industry magazines I've read over the years, 95% of rappers don't make as much as you'd think. Sure, you have to apply yourself more and won't be famous, but you'll always have work (although this is changing for lawyers) and can live comfortably.

So, HBers, who in your life has been chasing the dream? What do you think of their endeavors?

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

April 17, 2012 @ 08:25 PM

Inactive

You're expendable/replaceable, lose your privacy. You're practically living in 4 different time zones.

"No I am not,No I haven't, No I don't"

+ bunch of others

On the whole post: Everybody wants to be a rapper cause they're in love with the image. They believe they can make it cause they've seen someone that looks like them, that has gotten to a certain level.-

I don't mind at all. The great producers, and great rappers while shine through (and the core of Hip-Hop and skilled acts, recognize each other.)

All the herbs are entertaining in their own right.
April 17, 2012 @ 08:25 PM
scélérat

From what I know, there's an over-concentration of rappers and producers today. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum knows someone that wants to be a rapper or producer in order to make a living. I know I do.

My question is: why? You're expendable/replaceable, lose your privacy and have to constantly tour if you want to make yourself known nationwide. You're practically living in 4 different time zones.

For every Big Sean or Lex Luger there's at least 50,000 no-names who will never be able to break into the industry because of a lack of talent/originality or an inability to create connections early on.

Doctors, engineers and lawyers make just as much as much as Twistas, Joe Buddens and Bun Bs of the industry. From various on-line and in-print industry magazines I've read over the years, 95% of rappers don't make as much as you'd think. Sure, you have to apply yourself more and won't be famous, but you'll always have work (although this is changing for lawyers) and can live comfortably.

So, HBers, who in your life has been chasing the dream? What do you think of their endeavors?

Fuck all that how you use Big sean an Lex as examples. THE FUCK

"The clothes don't make the man the man made them clothes."

April 17, 2012 @ 08:28 PM
DStyles

I want to be a rapper for the money and big booty bitches cool

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

April 17, 2012 @ 08:36 PM
blackice445

Its not just money its the fame also. niggas wanna be famous and be able to fuck any bitch they want.
April 17, 2012 @ 08:38 PM
wehatelondon

suspended

From what I know, there's an over-concentration of rappers and producers today. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum knows someone that wants to be a rapper or producer in order to make a living. I know I do.

this nigha wanna make it on the radio

instagram-wehatelondon youtube-nicholasmcfly2800

April 17, 2012 @ 08:42 PM
BuddyOmar

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

April 17, 2012 @ 08:59 PM
PERFECT WHITE MALE

Big Sean or Lex Luger

April 17, 2012 @ 09:20 PM
Miles_Morales

dead
April 17, 2012 @ 09:20 PM
Black Donald Trump

i feel like rapping/producing has just kind of replaced playing an instrument on a widespread level, with it being so easy to do and all. doesn't bother me that people want to be creative i just wish they would do more interesting stuff and not spend more time promoting themselves than actually making their shit, and could maybe just do it as a hobby instead of trying to get famous off it.
April 17, 2012 @ 09:21 PM
Black Donald Trump

and lex luger is tight the fuck are you guys talkin about
April 17, 2012 @ 09:50 PM
Mr FantastiK

Doctors, engineers and lawyers make just as much as much

yeah but you're working everyday doing bullshit not really living life
no point in making a lot of money if you don't have time for anything else

YOLO

brvndon.tumblr.com

April 17, 2012 @ 09:52 PM
madhaussss

hip hop is dead. everybody who is rapping is rapping about the same things such as: "I am so young, life is so hard, so many haters, yo but im still trying, yo check the mic"
April 17, 2012 @ 10:24 PM
xVILLN

Fucking dead at "MUISK"
Dat spelling.

http://illestxvillian.tumblr.com/

April 17, 2012 @ 10:28 PM
iamkyopo

i dont think this is a trend. I think a bunch of people wanted to rap/produce even before the glamorizing of the game in the 90's.. i was one of those people...
April 17, 2012 @ 11:55 PM
thrillmatic

I only used Big Sean and Lex Luger cuz they're hot right now. I don't fuck with Big Sean and Lex is wit it.

You're expendable/replaceable, lose your privacy. You're practically living in 4 different time zones.

+ bunch of others

On the whole post: Everybody wants to be a rapper cause they're in love with the image. They believe they can make it cause they've seen someone that looks like them, that has gotten to a certain level.-

I don't mind at all. The great producers, and great rappers while shine through (and the core of Hip-Hop and skilled acts, recognize each other.)

I respect this post. Who is the man in the second picture? And since when does DOOM rock RL? lol

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

April 17, 2012 @ 11:58 PM
jacobsever

I have never thought of being a rapper.
But I'd love to be in a hardcore/punk band.

April 17, 2012 @ 11:59 PM
epsilon

I have never thought of being a rapper.
But I'd love to be in a hardcore/punk band.

STOP POSTING YOU FAGGOT
April 18, 2012 @ 12:00 AM
DAB DILLINGER

I respect this post. Who is the man in the second picture? And since when does DOOM rock RL? lol

that's Madlib son
April 18, 2012 @ 12:01 AM
jaded

they want that scott storch overnight millionaire blow it all on cocaine swag

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

April 18, 2012 @ 12:01 AM
playboyxxx

I only used Big Sean and Lex Luger cuz they're hot right now. I don't fuck with Big Sean and Lex is wit it.

+ bunch of others

madlib bruh

pink like hamilton

April 18, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
sirloin

+ bunch of others

second dude is madlib. Doom probably got that shirt at a thrift store lol
April 18, 2012 @ 12:09 AM
DarianaGrande

I rap/produce because I enjoy it. I have a regular job and don't really expect to eat off rap. If i do, coo, but if not im fine.

http://soundcloud.com/anonymousnigger

April 18, 2012 @ 12:18 AM
Gilly Suits

Personal Note: I got injured about 13 where I couldn't play Basketball which my life at the time or hardly walk. I needed an outlet. I began to use music programs for fun since computer requires little movement. The rapping was just for fun as I read dictionaries and rhyming dictionaries for fun since like 10.

Others: Other people though it seems they want the lifestyle the see the stars living. The rhyming schemes and lowered expectations of lyricism really makes rapping more accessible. Most people just copy as they hear which explains the overused content/flow stealing. And being a tester of many music programs, the one thing they care about making it easier for a new user to pick up and learn. Combine that with piracy and torrenting of programs that wouldn't be nearly as accessible you can get a lot more people that can try it for nothing and learn the program. This is one reason I am big supporter of buying the programs/programs using better security such as a need of a codemeter usb stick and server verification though I understand shit will continue to be pirated as long as they can crack it.

Culective.com //

April 18, 2012 @ 12:25 AM
HYPELO

maybe niggas want to tour why u so negative about it? an im sure some niggs are only reaching for an indie label and actually enjoy doing it

r u saying u prefer the lifestyle of a lawyer rather than a rapper/producer? to each his own
April 18, 2012 @ 12:25 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

the problem with this is you're not thinking about Rapping or Producing as a job the same as everything else. If you're good with science, you can push yourself and with hard work and patience become a doctor, if you're good with music you can push yourself and with hard work and patience sustain yourself with your art.

If you're just not the creative type then yeah, rapping probably isn't the best course of action but most of the people I know who rap do it because they love rapping

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

April 18, 2012 @ 12:48 AM
cdvbxi

because people think it's easy. they see all these acts with relatively marginal talent making it because of connections and not skills, and they think that they could do that too. which they could, but there can only be so many popular rappers.

rap is the dominant genre in popular music right now. this is like the garage rock era for rap. equipment becomes cheaper; more people make music. just like every cat is a rapper now every cat back then had a guitar and a band in his garage.

and most people want to leave this earth with some kind of impact on it. everybody wants attention and recognition. they see some of these corny mixtape niggas with a million views on youtube and think, wow, i can do that. so they try and then they quit in bout a year but some of them get lucky.

dude from where i went to high school (whitebread suburban upper-middle class area near indianapolis) started rapping a couple years ago and a month ago i find out he opened for asher roth. like not hating, but this dude obviously hasn't been rapping for that long and he got to that level, that quick from an area with no culture and no music scene.

though garage rock brought a lot to rock and roll music, and i hope this new era of creative freedom and better chance of exposure in hip hop will change the genre for the better after all the corny motherfuckers have come and gone and worldstar has been shut down.

like a 27 inch zenith, believe it

April 18, 2012 @ 01:02 AM

Inactive

The rhyming schemes and lowered expectations of lyricism really makes rapping more accessible. Most people just copy as they hear which explains the overused content/flow stealing

April 18, 2012 @ 04:39 AM
bonemarrow

i hope this new era of creative freedom and better chance of exposure in hip hop will change the genre for the better after all the corny motherfuckers have come and gone and worldstar has been shut down.

truth

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

April 18, 2012 @ 04:49 AM
QuailMan

Big Sean changed the rap game when everyone jacked his flow before he became the "ass" guy and lex luger changed the production game so that was a good reference imo and rappers are annoying but the truth is it takes no talent to make it in rap anymore (look at mac miller or asap rocky) you dont need good lyrics you just need to look or sound cool so everyone wants to do it blah blah tumblr herbs and shit like that and niggers

http://yellow-stuff.com/ nigger

Please login first to reply.