May 31, 2011 @ 08:08 PM
Iggle

Good thread. Inspiring story. I'm doing pretty crap right now in my courses, just barely hanging on. What really made you step it up and get your grades? I feel like I'm burned out even though I'm not doing so well in my classes. Any opinions about taking a break from the whole university scene and just working (probably crap) jobs to save some money? Or just stick with it and keep pushing? So unmotivated right now --"

you're probably a 1st or 2nd year student right? i was in the same boat as you my 1st two years. did OK, not great. was kind of just happy to be in college and on my own. was a bio major but then realized i couldn't really do shit with just a biology degree. always wanted to become a pharmacist and i knew that wasn't going to happen with my gpa (was like just a fraction above 3.0 at the time).

when you sit down and think about your future and how you dicking around is just screwing yourself, a sense of panic kind of comes over you. at least it did for me. got my shit together and made the dean's list 5 out of my last 6 quarters. will start grad school to get my masters in august. nothing like panicking about your future to get your shit straight

#pedogangweindis

May 31, 2011 @ 08:14 PM
jaded

you're probably a 1st or 2nd year student right? i was in the same boat as you my 1st two years. did OK, not great. was kind of just happy to be in college and on my own. was a bio major but then realized i couldn't really do shit with just a biology degree. always wanted to become a pharmacist and i knew that wasn't going to happen with my gpa (was like just a fraction above 3.0 at the time).

when you sit down and think about your future and how you dicking around is just screwing yourself, a sense of panic kind of comes over you. at least it did for me. got my shit together and made the dean's list 5 out of my last 6 quarters. will start grad school to get my masters in august. nothing like panicking about your future to get your shit straight

Nothing like a good anxiety attack smile Doing well in school also just feels so much better. To spend all that money on tuition to barely get by feels shitty compared to getting A's in all your classes and knowing that you worked hard and accomplished something.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

May 31, 2011 @ 08:14 PM
jspookz

I do it for the challenge. you need to train the brain.
May 31, 2011 @ 08:25 PM
glennboy

Man I fucked up my first semester of college and soon after realized I need to get my shit together. I wasted so much time and money, and now I'm gonna have to pull myself outta this hole. I lost all the good things in my life cause I fucked around too much (car, parents trust, the girl I love). This next fall I'm gonna pull my shit together in community college so I can transfer to and actual university in the spring and get a degree that will help me in life. One thing I'm learning is that even though life is short, you'll always still have time to go back and do what you really love. You just need to stabilize your life first and have a fall back plan(s).

Live Life // Get Mo Money

May 31, 2011 @ 08:34 PM
hehsy5sy5

lol i love it when ppl use the "but bill gates dropped out..." example.

they forgot to point out that he dropped out of MOTHER FUKING HARVARD SO HE WAS SMART AS FUK FROM THE START AND WAS GONNA GO PLACES EITHER WAYrazz
May 31, 2011 @ 08:38 PM
jaded

Man I fucked up my first semester of college and soon after realized I need to get my shit together. I wasted so much time and money, and now I'm gonna have to pull myself outta this hole. I lost all the good things in my life cause I fucked around too much (car, parents trust, the girl I love). This next fall I'm gonna pull my shit together in community college so I can transfer to and actual university in the spring and get a degree that will help me in life. One thing I'm learning is that even though life is short, you'll always still have time to go back and do what you really love. You just need to stabilize your life first and have a fall back plan(s).

It's never too late to do anything. There's guys in their late 30's/early 40's that are starting med school. Never let age keep you from achieving your goals.

If you go back and do well at CC and pull good grades, you'll be set.

May 31, 2011 @ 08:41 PM
mrdalez

another piece of advice.
enjoy college and don't rush it.
i just finished my bachelors in 3 years and i wish i stayed longer.
May 31, 2011 @ 08:45 PM
Iggle

doing 2 years at a CC and then transferring to a 4-year university is one of the smartest things you can do. boost up your GPA at a much lower cost. had a bunch of cousins do that. you really have to be on your shit though. have a real plan in place or else you'll be one of those guys that stay years at a CC and go no where.

#pedogangweindis

May 31, 2011 @ 08:59 PM
trevxv3

I dont understand how the fuck some people say that the freshman year of college is the easiest. I only pulled a 3.0 so I guess I'm fucked

SATIRE GANG OR MOW YOUR LAWN FOR FREE

May 31, 2011 @ 09:03 PM
illy

completely agree. i've had fun, met a lot of people and have still kept school as a priority. 3 year graduation plans we in dis. seriously... school is valuable and not just in terms of money. if you don't plan on taking it seriously, then don't go.
May 31, 2011 @ 09:10 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

I didn't criticize anyone, I simply said not to use that as an excuse, because there is tons of help out there. My mom works at a high school where a majority of the students are underprivileged, and she helps them find the money for college all the time. Saying you can't afford it isn't a legitimate excuse, in my opinion, because I know for a fact that there is practically an unlimited amount of sources for student loans.

the same kids getting loans for hundred and thousands of dollars are the ones
that will pay debt for the rest of their life.
May 31, 2011 @ 09:12 PM
dhkgfkdj

jaded cool great post
May 31, 2011 @ 09:13 PM
Blade Gretzky

this this this is what i fear
May 31, 2011 @ 09:14 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

Good thread. Inspiring story. I'm doing pretty crap right now in my courses, just barely hanging on. What really made you step it up and get your grades? I feel like I'm burned out even though I'm not doing so well in my classes. Any opinions about taking a break from the whole university scene and just working (probably crap) jobs to save some money? Or just stick with it and keep pushing? So unmotivated right now --"

Don't take a break, power through it. People who take breaks have the tendency to wait for a convenient time to go back, but life gets in the way and it seems easier to keep putting it off. Breaks that are meant to be for a semester or a year can easily turn into being out of school for several years or never finishing. I've seen it happen.
May 31, 2011 @ 09:16 PM
jaded

Rest of their life? My friend is training to be an Anesthesiologist, which has an average salary of $300,000/yr. and can reach as high as $450,000/yr. I highly doubt he'll be paying back his loans for the rest of his life. Even if he spent the next 20 years paying it back, he'd only be in his late 40's and making that kind of salary, I think that's well worth it.

May 31, 2011 @ 09:19 PM
tree fiddy

so what do you do now as a career if you don't mind me asking?
May 31, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
Juki

great thread JADED. I read it all and anyone starting or considering college should read this. a lot of good points made in the thread also. some I can relate to definitely. the thing is if your paying for college especially, you need to take it seriously. you don't wanna waste the opportunity/money and end up dropping out or with a transcript that won't hold its weight or show highly of you and the 4 years you spent in college.

the best thing about getting a degree is how it can set you up for a better future which usually means more money/opportunities. no one can take that from you if you actually took college seriously. Im curious though, what was your final cumlative GPA and what type of MBA are you looking in to? Have you taken the gmat?

Like some people said, getting money for college is easy if your a minority. And the community college for 2 years way is smart. There's many ways to get a degree no matter the obstacles if your determined, work hard and dont give up.

You don't wanna be in debt though so be careful. College is so expensive I cant knock those who really favor other methods. It also isn't for everyone as soon as they finish HS. Not everyones ready but its never too late to get your act together like y'all say and college is the best way.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 31, 2011 @ 09:34 PM
ichigo81

also dont look down on community colleges just because i know alot of homies that are making 100-200-300k just alone off a trade, a plumber and electrician, even some mechanics, find your passion in life and everything else comes naturally.Damn, this thread has given me inspiration to go back to school for my masters', i make more then some people i know but i just want the challenge, looking back if i could tell the 18 yr old me not to fuck around as much i would have had my masters' at a younger age, but that's life, i am still relatively young but it's just the need of accomplishing a personal goal in life, especially since i have no reasponsibilities outside of my own personal bills and copping bullshit, but like alot of people said stick with it,intern, don't chase girls as much(i know that's lame but chicks will always be there especially when you are stable, that's how i lost the love of my life, not focusing,as cliched as it my sound, first u get the money, next u get the honeys') and if u don't do it for anyone else, do it for ur parents, especially ur momscool
May 31, 2011 @ 09:36 PM
jaded

Im curious though, what was your final cumlative GPA and what type of MBA are you looking in to? Have you taken the gmat?

Cumulative I believe was a 3.0, but the Master's program looks at my last 60 units which I think was a bit higher (maybe 3.3-3.4, I can't remember, I calculated it a couple years ago). It's not easy to dig yourself out of a big hole when it comes to GPA, but you can certainly get it to a respectable level.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by what type, it's an MBA program. I will probably select finance as my area of concentration, but in the end I will have an MBA, not a Master's of Finance or anything like that. I will still take a variety of other business courses while I'm in the program.

I have not taken the GMAT yet, I will probably take it by July or so, because I need to get my application in by the first week of August in order to start next spring.

also dont look down on community colleges just because i know alot of homies that are making 100-200-300k just alone off a trade, a plumber and electrician, even some mechanics, find your passion in life and everything else comes naturally.Damn, this thread has given me inspiration to go back to school for my masters', i make more then some people i know but i just want the challenge, looking back if i could tell the 18 yr old me not to fuck around as much i would have had my masters' at a younger age, but that's life, i am still relatively young but it's just the need of accomplishing a personal goal in life, especially since i have no reasponsibilities outside of my own personal bills and copping bullshit, but like alot of people said stick with it,intern, don't chase girls as much(i know that's lame but chicks will always be there especially when you are stable, that's how i lost the love of my life, not focusing,as cliched as it my sound, first u get the money, next u get the honeys') and if u don't do it for anyone else, do it for ur parents, especially ur momscool

That's awesome. Most Master's programs are geared toward people who work full-time, so you shouldn't have any trouble working and going to school. I know the program I go to, you can finish in 3 semesters if you want on up to 2.5 years, it just depends how busy you are, so I'm sure you can find a program that works for you.

May 31, 2011 @ 09:37 PM
livestok

good advice
May 31, 2011 @ 09:42 PM
fistyourbitch

jaded my ♥♥♥♥♥ cool
May 31, 2011 @ 09:44 PM
tmwtg

jaded, do you like the whole Finance route/classes you're taking?

I'm a Finance major undergrad (upcoming junior), but I seriously hate all of my classes. I agree on the money part, but shit, I don't want to wake up every morning hating myself just for a couple of extra zero's in my paychecks.
May 31, 2011 @ 09:45 PM
jaded

I'm a Finance major undergrad (upcoming junior), but I seriously hate all of my classes. I agree on the money part, but shit, I don't want to wake up every morning hating myself just for a couple of extra zero's in my paychecks.

I haven't started yet, so I couldn't tell you. I wasn't a finance major, but I did have to take a finance class and didn't mind it. I'm fairly strong in math though, so that could be why. Maybe that's not your thing.

May 31, 2011 @ 09:49 PM
Juki

Cumulative I believe was a 3.0, but the Master's program looks at my last 60 units which I think was a bit higher (maybe 3.3-3.4, I can't remember, I calculated it a couple years ago). It's not easy to dig yourself out of a big hole when it comes to GPA, but you can certainly get it to a respectable level.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by what type, it's an MBA program. I will probably select finance as my area of concentration, but in the end I will have an MBA, not a Master's of Finance or anything like that. I will still take a variety of other business courses while I'm in the program.

I have not taken the GMAT yet, I will probably take it by July or so, because I need to get my application in by the first week of August in order to start next spring.

wait, so is this the case for most Masters programs or yours in particular. I always heard you last couple years in collegee had more impact than your first especially if you improve your grades significantly.

With MBA's I know some schools are good for particular fields and they have different curriculum. I'm not sure completely how it works though. but arent MBAs like near 80,000 a year?

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 31, 2011 @ 09:53 PM
ichigo81

well i know i am not jaded but my ba is in business management, and ionly had like 2 finance classes might want to go that route but ur major does make more, but my shit is more overseeing how projects go and ideas, so i don't (if i didn't get laid off) crunch numbers that much but i like details and being in charge of stuff, sorry to interject bc jaded is on point with all his advicecool
May 31, 2011 @ 09:55 PM
jaded

wait, so is this the case for most Masters programs or yours in particular. I always heard you last couple years in collegee had more impact than your first especially if you improve your grades significantly.

With MBA's I know some schools are good for particular fields and they have different curriculum. I'm not sure completely how it works though. but arent MBAs like near 80,000 a year?

Well it took 140 units for me to complete my bachelor's and graduate, so if they are looking at my last 60, they are basically looking at my final two years there. I couldn't say for sure if that's the case with all MBA's, but that's how the school of business where I went handles it.

Your last two years are important because that's when you are taking upper division courses and working toward your major, you are out of undergrad by that point, so they want to see that you can do well in upper division courses before admitting you to an MBA program, which is essentially even more upper division courses.

May 31, 2011 @ 10:08 PM
Josh

this is one of the best threads i've read on hb

word to Jaded that all it takes is a lot of hard work

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

May 31, 2011 @ 10:15 PM
Trespace

does where you go to college matter?
May 31, 2011 @ 10:21 PM
Léo

No. It's what you.

Im just tryna get females impregnanted. Nahmsayin b. Females love the nurses.
May 31, 2011 @ 10:26 PM
jaded

I don't think so, I think it's all about your attitude and how hard you're willing to work for it. I saw a guy on tv the other day that got his bachelor's from San Diego State University and is running his own capital management firm back east at 51 years old. I think he started out as a financial analyst or credit analyst. Just takes hard work and dedication.

I'm sure there are some instances where it helps, don't get me wrong, but I think in the grand scheme of things your attitude will be the deciding factor. If the guy who went to Harvard has a bad attitude and is lazy, then his education isn't going to mean all that much. If the guy from a state university has a great attitude and is willing to bust his ass, it's going to mean a great deal.

On his final night as host of The Tonight Show, Conan O'Brien said, "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen." I don't know about you guys, but I believe that to be true.

Please login first to reply.