Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
November 22, 2011 @ 06:50 PM
appleyard

THE SHOCK DOCTRINE
November 22, 2011 @ 06:53 PM
Blarg

Hunger Games.
November 22, 2011 @ 07:02 PM
Legit Shit

The Rum Diary

upthefunk

November 22, 2011 @ 08:21 PM
SFCA

bump this.
the last 2 books i've read...

sunday brunch is for chumps. book is really well written, anthony bourdain's narrative is gangsta.

there are too many life lessons in this book: take risks, live on your own terms, dream big, etc.

goddamn it no0 these are a couple of my favorites furreal

Cigarettes, Ice Cream and Figurines of the Virgin Mary http://www.last.fm/user/actsyalawlz

November 22, 2011 @ 08:26 PM
Jahbs.

Hunger Games.
November 22, 2011 @ 11:25 PM
hools

bump this.
the last 2 books i've read...

sunday brunch is for chumps. book is really well written, anthony bourdain's narrative is gangsta.

there are too many life lessons in this book: take risks, live on your own terms, dream big, etc.

definitely gonna check these two out. i've had my eye on Kitchen Confidential for a while now. also needa get Rum Diaries, i loved the movie and Hunter S. Thompson is a mastermind.
November 23, 2011 @ 12:51 AM
Space Dandy

suspended

reading this right now. dgaf if its a girl book.
November 23, 2011 @ 03:43 AM
princesmooth

Best Book Ever Tbh
November 23, 2011 @ 03:44 AM
Brooklyn_718

Anyone read the Steve Job's book ? Shit is great....
November 23, 2011 @ 03:57 AM
Ecstasy

On Borders closing ^^^
There are probably going to be a handful of book stores around sooner or later... If you have an eReader the only point of buying a book will be to have a tangible copy...Or if it isn't available for your ereader. Personally I would still purchase books I really like to have physical copies of my favorite books or important books. I do believe a personal library is important to keep. But the fact that my Kindle can hold over one thousand books is unmatched... The fact that I can go online and find thousands of books for free (even paid ones) is unmatched. The fact that I can find definitions of words instantly, and leave notes and highlights on the spot then have those notes and highlights printed out for research purposes is unmatched. Also I can buy a book on the toilet and start reading.

Certain books like picture books (the one's Rizzoli and other publishers make) and collectibles would hold it's value...

I've heard people actually say they don't like eReaders, and the fact is old farts who don't like eReaders are the problem with society today. Technology should be our slave it should make our lives easier. Example, instead of going to the deli every morning for a newspaper it's sent directly to your ereader-possibly before you start your day. No one can tell me that the convenience and space saving of an eReader is inferior to a book.

lol..."old farts" or not some people genuinely enjoy the experience of reading an actual book, within the span of a few sentences how do you go from saying a personal library is important to keep to saying people who dont like ereaders are the problem with society

lawl...yea you right...people without ereaders are the problem with society...fuck are those niggas thinking

upvote me so i can look cool on the internet

November 23, 2011 @ 06:39 AM
Brooklyn_718

Sadly, I'm afraid you took "old farts who don't like ereaders are the problem with society" a little too serious, it was obviously a light joke. But the point I was trying to make is that every time a new advancement comes along there is a critic that absolutely despises it, and would rather stick to the old than promote or even accept the new. I'm just saying the world can be a bit more progressive..... even the book can move forward.
November 23, 2011 @ 06:50 AM
BlakkardBlanc

Not sure if its been mentioned but 'New York: The Novel' is a good read.
"The novel chronicles the birth and growth of New York City, [by following families] from the arrival of the first European colonists in the 17th century right up to the summer of 2009"
It was written by Edwin Rutherword, check it out.

BOW. ON. A. BITCH.

November 23, 2011 @ 12:12 PM
Cochese

Sadly, I'm afraid you took "old farts who don't like ereaders are the problem with society" a little too serious, it was obviously a light joke. But the point I was trying to make is that every time a new advancement comes along there is a critic that absolutely despises it, and would rather stick to the old than promote or even accept the new. I'm just saying the world can be a bit more progressive..... even the book can move forward.

Technology is progressing at the expense of other things. For one, that people are forgetting how to do simple tasks. Why bother committing something to memory when you can just Google it? A good book on the subject is The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. You'll have to find a hard-copy, though. If it's available on an eReader then somebody missed the point.
November 23, 2011 @ 04:00 PM
Wavriel

Check out The Black Hand by Chris Blatchford or Monster by Sanyika Shakur if you're into crime and whatnot.

http://smackdahoe.com/

November 24, 2011 @ 12:08 AM
Brooklyn_718

Technology is progressing at the expense of other things. For one, that people are forgetting how to do simple tasks. Why bother committing something to memory when you can just Google it? A good book on the subject is The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. You'll have to find a hard-copy, though. If it's available on an eReader then somebody missed the point.

I disagree totally..... memorization is overrated... just because you memorize something doesn't mean your smart at all, it's just like the kid with straight A's with absolutely NO CREATIVITY at all, and with not a clue how to apply anything he learned to move forward. This is why school's are moving more and more into teaching students how to learn, and how to do their own research etc. Why do you need to memorize the date Napoleon died ? When you can find that date in seconds. Of course memorization is a step towards intelligence but most people think memorization equals intelligence when it just does not. It's how we adapt what we learn to move forward.

Like I said there will always be someone that despises things like Wikipedia because it isn't as laborious as going to a library and going through volumes of encyclopedia's. Academics love that stuff because it makes them feel smarter.

But the book sounds interesting....
November 24, 2011 @ 12:47 AM
Legit Shit

I'm kinda one to argue that I'd rather have a book in my hand, then have an eReader, and trust me I love technology. However I can't really judge until I get a hold of a nice one, I've only used the cheap ones from CVS that don't have any of the useful features you noted.

upthefunk

November 24, 2011 @ 01:10 AM
███

chilly scenes of winter, ann beatie
silent spring, rachel carson
kafka on the shore, haruki murakami
November 24, 2011 @ 02:14 AM

Inactive

every man dies alone by fallada
kaffir boy by mathabane
tao te ching by lao tzu
the prophet by gibran

www.badpanthers.com www.flickr.com/photos/badpanthers

November 24, 2011 @ 02:49 AM
Cochese

I disagree totally..... memorization is overrated... just because you memorize something doesn't mean your smart at all, it's just like the kid with straight A's with absolutely NO CREATIVITY at all, and with not a clue how to apply anything he learned to move forward. This is why school's are moving more and more into teaching students how to learn, and how to do their own research etc. Why do you need to memorize the date Napoleon died ? When you can find that date in seconds. Of course memorization is a step towards intelligence but most people think memorization equals intelligence when it just does not. It's how we adapt what we learn to move forward.

Like I said there will always be someone that despises things like Wikipedia because it isn't as laborious as going to a library and going through volumes of encyclopedia's. Academics love that stuff because it makes them feel smarter.

'It's how we adapt what we learn to move forward.' Learning means gaining knowledge, which requires the ability to memorise. You can't have one without the other. Memorisation doesn't equal intelligence, but it is an essential part. Maybe these technologies are just speeding up the process. We quickly learn something, then just as quickly discard it. My concern is that people are becoming too reliant on these technologies when maybe the technologies won't be around forever. It is very possible that one day all of our electrical devices suddenly stop working - acid rain, a solar flare, some natural disaster. What will people do then? Hopefully by that point people haven't forgotten how to make dinner. I'm not talking about committing to memory useless facts like the date Napoleon died.

I can't see myself getting an eReader. I would hate having to charge it all the time. I imagine myself sitting on a train, about to finish a book, and the battery dying. It seems absurd to me. I'm never going to read a thousand books. Why would I need to carry around thousands of books with me at any one time? As for Wikipedia, I don't despise the website. I hate that it has become comparable with going to the library.

I liked The Shallows. You might think it's just more alarmist bullshit, but it's worth a read. He writes very well, simply and clearly; and resists the temptation to become overly theoretical, which seems to be the problem with a lot of discourses on the subject.
November 24, 2011 @ 03:24 AM
missy.

i love young adult books, idgaf.

you dont know me - david klass ; it's a coming of age story about a boy with an abusive (step? ) father.

be more chill - Ned Vizzini

abarat - clive barker

kung fu high school - ryan gatiss ; somewhat like a battle royale but not as great

reading the Hunger Games trilogy right now. i'm on Catching Fire and shit's girly as fuck.

neverwhere - neil gaiman ; if you're into fantasy shit

after dark - haruki murakami

and all the good ones were mentioned already

--

i would also like recommendations on books similar to perks of being a wallflower or other coming of age story (guy or girl)... and those like brave new world and i guess the hunger games (dystopic, was it? )

El Chino : id let claire fuck me with a strap on while im on poppers

November 24, 2011 @ 03:32 AM
Brooklyn_718

'It's how we adapt what we learn to move forward.' Learning means gaining knowledge, which requires the ability to memorise. You can't have one without the other. Memorisation doesn't equal intelligence, but it is an essential part. Maybe these technologies are just speeding up the process. We quickly learn something, then just as quickly discard it. My concern is that people are becoming too reliant on these technologies when maybe the technologies won't be around forever. It is very possible that one day all of our electrical devices suddenly stop working - acid rain, a solar flare, some natural disaster. What will people do then? Hopefully by that point people haven't forgotten how to make dinner. I'm not talking about committing to memory useless facts like the date Napoleon died.

I can't see myself getting an eReader. I would hate having to charge it all the time. I imagine myself sitting on a train, about to finish a book, and the battery dying. It seems absurd to me. I'm never going to read a thousand books. Why would I need to carry around thousands of books with me at any one time? As for Wikipedia, I don't despise the website. I hate that it has become comparable with going to the library.

I liked The Shallows. You might think it's just more alarmist bullshit, but it's worth a read. He writes very well, simply and clearly; and resists the temptation to become overly theoretical, which seems to be the problem with a lot of discourses on the subject.

". My concern is that people are becoming too reliant on these technologies when maybe the technologies won't be around forever. It is very possible that one day all of our electrical devices suddenly stop working - acid rain, a solar flare, some natural disaster. What will people do then? "

Yea it's something to think about. I understand that 100 percent. People would have to adapt back to the candle light and paper book life.

I know paper books will always be around, like the coffee table books and photography books those kinds of books have it's place and it's a niche market anyway. I could understand the love affair with the paper books the feel of the pages and what not, and I still get a paper copy every once in a while, but I love the convenience of carrying a 400+ page book in that slim light form factor. Who's going to lug around a russian novel ? 1000 pages ? Then the convenience of highlighting w.o destroying the book or writing notes, and then printing them out if I need it. IDK if your a big reader I think you should give one a spin, check it out in a store or something. It'll change the way you read and how much you read.
November 24, 2011 @ 05:28 AM
Hey, it is just me

chilly scenes of winter, ann beatie
silent spring, rachel carson
kafka on the shore, haruki murakami

Kafka on the shore is soooo bugged the fuck out. Great novel. Eastern ideas mixed with a western like plot. Ex: Its basically a model of "Oedipus the King"

http://che-thepoeticdiaryofacollegekid.blogspot.com/

November 24, 2011 @ 07:16 AM
NoStress

I'm in the middle of "House of Leaves" right now.. mind fucked
edit: Damn there are alot of good books in this thread.. Gonna have to hit the library pretty soon..

burr

November 24, 2011 @ 09:55 AM
yunglordgrizzly

anyone got recommendations for like chinese philiosophy/lifestyle stuff? or like samurai/bushido shit? thought itd be cool to get into reading that stuff.

grizzly on SS

November 24, 2011 @ 05:29 PM
Brooklyn_718

Book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi

You should look into to that book ^^^^!
November 24, 2011 @ 05:48 PM
Ecstasy

^woord

anyone got recommendations for like chinese philiosophy/lifestyle stuff? or like samurai/bushido shit? thought itd be cool to get into reading that stuff.

tao te ching by lao tzu (some people own more than one translation to "fully" grasp it)
analects by confucius
mencius by mencius

upvote me so i can look cool on the internet

November 24, 2011 @ 06:02 PM
ramos0927

Book and movie are equally well done
November 25, 2011 @ 01:12 AM
babypowder

all harry potter series
and handmaids tale i found good
November 25, 2011 @ 01:25 AM
babypowder

have to read that thnx smile
November 25, 2011 @ 03:29 AM
princesmooth

bokunosekai.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/battle-royale.jpg?w=329&h=475

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. This joint was 624 pages and I finished it in 3 days....in middle school and used it as a book report. It's def a page turner and is violent..♥♥♥♥♥s/teacher were like wtf are you reading when I presented it lol. But I recommend it.

"Battle Royale takes place in an alternate timeline—Japan is a member region of a totalitarian state known as the Republic of Greater East Asia (大東亜共和国 Dai Tōa Kyōwakoku). Under the guise of a "study trip," a group of students from Shiroiwa Junior High School (城岩中学校 Shiroiwa Chūgakkō) in the fictional town of Shiroiwa (Kagawa Prefecture) are gassed on a bus. They awaken in the Okishima Island School on Okishima, an isolated, evacuated island southwest of Shodoshima, also in Kagawa Prefecture. They learn that they have been placed in an event called the Program. Officially a military research project, it is a means of terrorizing the population, of creating such paranoia as to make organized insurgency impossible. In the manga, the economy collapsed, and the government created the Program to revitalize it. According to the rules, every year since 1947, 42 third-year high school classes are isolated, and each class is required to fight to the death until one student remains. Their movements are tracked by metal collars, later identified as Model Guadalcanal No. 22, around their necks, which contain tracking and listening devices; if any student should attempt to escape the Program, or enter declared forbidden zones, a bomb will be detonated in the collar, killing the wearer. If no student dies in any 24 hour period, all collars will be detonated simultaneously."
BEST BOOK EVER good look my NIGG

Please login first to reply.