February 7, 2010 @ 04:27 PM
SlimmilS

really good watch very interesting, especially with the winter games in less then a week. This dude trys to live on the streets for one month

via his youtube channel:

An unprecedented look into the underworld of Vancouver's downtown eastside ghetto, this 65 minute documentary follows one man's 30 day experiment of joining the thousands of homeless, ill, and addicted, who survive the streets of Vancouver's cold, wet December. He starts off with nothing but a pair of underwear. Where he ends up is a place he never knew existed, even though its a place he passed by every day. This is the perfect film for anyone who wants to see first hand what life is like on Vancouver's streets, but doesn't want to risk murder from gang violence, contracting a fatal or chronic disease, or a life-long addiction to crack or heroin.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6-1oo-b3Ds
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7AIzQuCFU&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7AIzQuCFU&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiofrCBaMXI&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_Bz6rpia4&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7ciBZc4bU&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSi_2LmRMg&feature=related
February 7, 2010 @ 04:30 PM
Sarcaustic

Another ethnographic anthropologist.

I've read too much of this shit in my anthro class last term.
February 7, 2010 @ 04:35 PM
Vancouver

for some reason I feel an urge to watch this
February 7, 2010 @ 04:40 PM
SlimmilS

dude....your user name is Vancouver and your not going to watch it? haha do it, it's really well done and pretty crazy.....dude smokes crack with hobos in an alley....
February 7, 2010 @ 04:49 PM
pastyblac

Looks interesting, I think I'll watch this when I have time.
February 7, 2010 @ 05:53 PM

Inactive

Saw the first two parts so far and I have the same question he has; if there's so many free services that benefit homeless people, why aren't they taking advantage of it?
February 7, 2010 @ 05:56 PM
soap

dark days is better imo
February 7, 2010 @ 05:59 PM
fog

thanks for this. it was really interesting to see someone abandon their regular life to take on the streets like that. a couple years back i drove down hastings street during a vacation and the amount of homeless people i saw in one place was unreal. most of them literally looked dead and they were walking through traffic like zombies.
February 7, 2010 @ 06:00 PM
Cboom

I see this first hand everyday and night. It is one of the bleakest situations in the developed world. The issue is, even though Canada has one fo the largets social nets in the world, is that a large percentage of these poeple are severley mentally ill. Metro Vancouver shut down a bunch of mental institiutions a couple of decades ago and literally kicked all these sick people into the street.

The situation will be exposed to the world come the Olympics nxt week as an anti-poverty organization has handed out hundreds of bright red tents to the homeless community. It should be interesting to see how to international media tackles this.
February 7, 2010 @ 06:30 PM
SlimmilS

Saw the first two parts so far and I have the same question he has; if there's so many free services that benefit homeless people, why aren't they taking advantage of it?

i thought the same thing to, but it gets different in the later parts in the movie

and Cboom, ya i only found out about them shutting down the mental hospitals after i watched this movie....thats pretty fucked. And my teacher was trying to tell me how all the homeless peoople have been shipped to merrit for the winter olympics or some shit like that but i was down town on friday and theres still so fuckin many
February 7, 2010 @ 06:35 PM
lstplcwnr

interesting, spesh because I live in BC. Everyone should give this a watch. Opened my eyes.

insta/twitter/tumblr/cargo: sihalanick

February 7, 2010 @ 06:46 PM
johnathan

I live there!! Wsup 604 >sad

free max b 2013

February 7, 2010 @ 07:06 PM
nate.

It gets pretty scary there at times, I live like an hour away but everytime I go in I notice how bad it is.
February 7, 2010 @ 07:18 PM
zyezye

there are plenty of vids/doc on hastings, usually they're used as anti drug vids in science class, well mine anyway, not sure about other HS in van.

Watching that vid gave me bad memories. I remember seeing a dude laying down in the middle of the street and see him again still there after 4 hours. checked up on him, dude died from an over dose.

Vancouver maybe one of the "top 10" places to live in the world, but they fail to show that it also has one of the highest homeless rate in the country.

Its sooo surreal when you walk in gastown. first you see the historic rich downtown then walk a few blocks, its a whole nother world.
February 7, 2010 @ 07:19 PM
frrresh

Just finished watching this, what a fucking film. I cant believe the guy actually did coke and heroin, that blows my mind. Something has to happen with the whole area of the downtown east side, guess time will tell.

cheers
February 7, 2010 @ 07:20 PM
It's Only Hype

very well done.

the part with the rats/dumpsters made me lol
February 7, 2010 @ 07:51 PM
GucciTarantino

Good documentary, shocking that he actually did heroin and crack but the first half made being homeless look so posh
February 7, 2010 @ 08:18 PM
FreshAddict

good documentary but i disagree with his conclusion saying that its a "self-imposed" prison
February 7, 2010 @ 09:02 PM
Vancouver

dude....your user name is Vancouver and your not going to watch it? haha do it, it's really well done and pretty crazy.....dude smokes crack with hobos in an alley....

lol I wasnt being sarcastic n I did watch it. good watch
February 7, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
Tommy Boy

crazy to me that center where the bitch just set everything up for him to do heroin
February 7, 2010 @ 10:53 PM
johnathan

crazy to me that center where the bitch just set everything up for him to do heroin

i know, its so fucking stupid this city is pathetic. I can't believe they let that happen, how the fuck did that get passed? Although I think lying to kids is bad, we should make em shit scared of coke and heroine because shit like this is making it seem okay and acceptable. It kills people but with the center they make it seem like to the kids it doesn't.. They aren't going to realize it isn't an instant death but a death over time.

free max b 2013

February 7, 2010 @ 11:34 PM
SupremeSwagger

I saw that insight place on the show "taboo".....i cant believe he smoked crack and shot up heroin though. I would never do that for some dumb experiment.
February 7, 2010 @ 11:43 PM
Virungă

wow
February 8, 2010 @ 01:51 AM
pastyblac

Just finished watching I thought it was very good, lol@ the mayor at the end.
February 8, 2010 @ 03:31 PM
JazzyJustin

Jeez the guy actually did Crack and Heroin, that so crazy
February 8, 2010 @ 04:19 PM
Popper

he cawped a nice coat from that place!
February 8, 2010 @ 05:22 PM
lucky

interesting watch, crazy that it is more expensive to fund homeless people than if they were just an average single worker

BLOG http://creativediscourse.tumblr.com/ ART http://lukehaeger.tumblr.com/

February 8, 2010 @ 11:18 PM
johnathan

he cawped a nice coat from that place!

lol ur such a hypebeast

free max b 2013

February 9, 2010 @ 01:38 PM
bike

i know, its so fucking stupid this city is pathetic. I can't believe they let that happen, how the fuck did that get passed? Although I think lying to kids is bad, we should make em shit scared of coke and heroine because shit like this is making it seem okay and acceptable. It kills people but with the center they make it seem like to the kids it doesn't.. They aren't going to realize it isn't an instant death but a death over time.

There was obviously a lot of research, and controversy before actually getting those establishments up and running. The cost of running that facility probably outweighs the cost of nursing, prescriptions, and health care provided for people sharing needles and spreading know the fuck knows what. They're for addicts who are going to shoot regardless of what they're provided, given, or told. People who are so addicted nothing can stop them from going back. It's not promoted as a safe, happy, or exciting place to get high.
February 9, 2010 @ 05:22 PM
Virungă

Please login first to reply.