Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
August 26, 2010 @ 10:32 PM
SantaDuJuan

very stupid smile

Not really, people continued to play the original Everquest when Everquest 2 came out. People will continue to play FFXI when XIV comes out.

UPDATE: www.massively.com/2010/08/26/devil-in-the-details-for-final-fantasy-xivs-fatigue/

Still don't really understand the shit, but now it seems people think Square has created this to "persuade" people play different classes. Still don't agree with it though. >sad
August 26, 2010 @ 11:57 PM
SantaDuJuan

i guess its not a big deal considering i want to take on conjurer + blacksmith

That's a crafting class though so I don't think it'd matter anyways. Fuck I really don't know, this is kind of giving me a headache. I want to pre-order the CE but this is the only thing holding me back.

Did you say in an earlier thread you made a computer for this game?

Also I read this in a comment. It kind of makes me think differently about this whole system. Anyone looking for a different perspective on this should read it.

"When designing an MMO, one of the things that needs to go in is some sort of limit on the possible progression of players. Developers need to control the rate at which players can approach the endgame, and other milestones along the way. Usually this is done with an XP curve.

An XP curve is really nothing more than a time sink. Developers decide how long they want certain segments of the game to take--how long they want certain level ranges to last, and ultimately how long it should take players to reach endgame. They then balance the amount of XP it is possible to gain in a given timeframe with the amount required to move beyond a certain a certain point, or level up.

XP gain may give the illusion of progression but that's all it is--an illusion. Gaining XP is not progressing a character. It does not impart any new strengths or abilities by itself. Levels are the real progression. Levels provide increased statistics and new abilities.

In reality, a game is designed and played from level to level, not from one experience point to the next. Being level 57 with 8000 XP towards level 58 doesn't let you do level 58 content any more than being level 57 woth 0 XP towards level 58 does. Being level 58 lets you do level 58 content. The XP required to get from level 57 to level 58 is merely a time sink. You spend enough time grinding it out, and you get to be level 58.

Experience point income is balanced against the total XP required for a level up in such a way as to have players spending a certain amount of time between level ups. This is true in any MMO, and Final Fantasy XIV is no different.

However, FFXIV puts a spin on the system. The developers for FFXIV are looking at it from the perspective that levels are the progression, not XP. XP is certainly not useless, but it is merely a means to an end. They also, like all developers, have in mind a rate at which they want players to reach certain level milestones.

For most MMOs, with a purely XP-based system, if the developers decide that levels should be gained at the rate of 1 per week, players have to grind away all week, making no real character progress, until they get that 1 level at the end of the week. THAT is the progress--regardless of whatever number is in the XP box, it is the 1 level that ultimately matters. And if you can't grind away all week, you don't get it. If it takes you three times as long to rack up the necessary game time, you get no progress on your character at all for three weeks.

The fatigue system is also a time sink, but functions a bit differently. It still works off of the concept that players should only attain a certain amount of progression per week, but it doles out that progression more quickly up front. This has two important effects. First, it means that even those who cannot play 6-8 hours a day every day can make some progress. Not as much overall, but some. Second, it means that after the week's progression on one class has been reached, players are free to mess around with others--a level of freedom and diversification that most games don't have.

Make no mistake; if SE decides that you should only gain 3 levels in a class per week, then that is all you will gain. Without fatigue--with a basic XP system--all your play time in that week would be devoted to a single class as XP requirements increase to compensate, and wanting to level something else would mean sacrificing progression in that one class.

With the fatigue system, instead of sacrificing XP time to do things that don't involve leveling your main class, you get to have all the XP you'd normally get for the week anyway, and then focus on other aspects of the game. Want to level another class? Go do it. Want to quest? Sure. How about crafting? Also an option. Or maybe you just want to explore. In other MMOs, all of these activities come at the cost of XP. That is not the case here. And if you really want to grind away at one class well, you can hop on it at the beginning of the week, and still have time to hit it again later in the week after surplus has cleared from not leveling it. Bonus!

Final Fantasy XIV was designed with a certain philosophy. The fatigue system is part of enacting that philosophy. It is no more limiting than a standard XP system, as progression is balanced around it. It offers more freedom than conventional systems, simply by allowing for different allocations of play time with no penalty. Can it stand some tweaking and balancing? Probably. But doing away with it entirely will cause a progression rebalance what will completely undermine any kind of horizontal character development, as well as force unnecessary choices between whether to XP a main class, or do anything else. And the ultimate gain on main class progression will be no different."
August 27, 2010 @ 12:10 AM
zyezye

yo hook up that buddy pass if you get it cool

on the real though tl;dr. it was getting too technical on mmo game mechanics.

once SWTOR and GW 2 come out im dippin this game so feed me a buddy passsss
August 27, 2010 @ 12:12 AM
SantaDuJuan

yo hook up that buddy pass if you get it cool

on the real though tl;dr. it was getting too technical on mmo game mechanics.

once SWTOR and GW 2 come out im dippin this game so feed me a buddy passsss

Lol, in short.
XP is bullshit, it's just a grind. If you are level 1 you can only do level 1 things. If you are level 1.5 you can STILL only do level 1 things. When you obtain level 2, you will be able to do level 2 things. With their new formula for classes they are changing your grind, you are now rewarded for any advancing you do, but they still do not want to to level to quickly so they stop you from gaining it.

It's really interesting and kind of makes sense when you look at it like that.
Too bad SWTOR and GW 2 still has a long time man.
August 27, 2010 @ 12:27 AM
zyezye

so basically, you get rewarded for any advancements, but they restrain you if you advance too much/fast within the alloted amount of time given to you.

now that you put it that way, it doesn't sound that bad once you get to higher tiers of "levels", its as if they completely nerfed the idea of levels and just reward you with the amount of exp you have. I like that idea, but not the time constraints its given. especially real world time constraints. fuck that.

does this apply to only one character on your account? or all your characters? Because if its just for one character, I'd be fine with it, gives me time to balance out my other classes instead.
August 27, 2010 @ 12:34 AM
SantaDuJuan

so basically, you get rewarded for any advancements, but they restrain you if you advance too much/fast within the alloted amount of time given to you.

now that you put it that way, it doesn't sound that bad once you get to higher tiers of "levels", its as if they completely nerfed the idea of levels and just reward you with the amount of exp you have. I like that idea, but not the time constraints its given. especially real world time constraints. fuck that.

does this apply to only one character on your account? or all your characters? Because if its just for one character, I'd be fine with it, gives me time to balance out my other classes instead.

It only affects one character, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut. Square only wants you to use one character. It's 13 dollars a month for ONE character, 2 dollars more for every character you make.

Imo, you should still be able to level as quick as you want. Some people like to max out as many characters as possible, as fast as they can. Why kill that play style?
August 27, 2010 @ 12:50 AM
zyezye

ok that killed it. i have to pay for more charcters? no thanks. I like having versatility with my mmos but I'll still take that buddy pass haha

dat hypocrisy
August 27, 2010 @ 09:28 AM
SantaDuJuan

ok that killed it. i have to pay for more charcters? no thanks. I like having versatility with my mmos but I'll still take that buddy pass haha

dat hypocrisy

Yeeaah. Square doesn't really understand how Americans play games, pay for games, or really anything about Americans. They just change the language of their game and sell it here.

In Asia people usually only play one character and don't get a month long pass, they pay for the time they play. Mainly because a lot of people don't own personal computers so they visit internet cafes and shit and play it there.
August 27, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
unknown force.

Yeeaah. Square doesn't really understand how Americans play games, pay for games, or really anything about Americans. They just change the language of their game and sell it here.

In Asia people usually only play one character and don't get a month long pass, they pay for the time they play. Mainly because a lot of people don't own personal computers so they visit internet cafes and shit and play it there.

did you play FFXI?
almost everyone that played had more then 1 character (mule)
August 27, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
SantaDuJuan

did you play FFXI?
almost everyone that played had more then 1 character (mule)

I did, I played from the beginning but never did end game. I was pretty young when that shit came out.
But yeah I understand what you mean, I stand by my original point though, Japanese players don't make alot of characters like Westerners do.

Edit: Just found this link explaining the fatigue system better. thisismyjoystick.com/editorials/final-fantasy-xiv-how-the-fatigue-system-really-works/
August 27, 2010 @ 10:32 PM
calintz

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-dfDTruMQ&feature=player_embedded

damn, that looks epic

too bad i was never into MMOs...
August 27, 2010 @ 10:45 PM
SantaDuJuan

Just gotta dedicate your self to your character. Seriously, starting a new MMO can be really boring at first but give it a week and you'll be hooked.
August 28, 2010 @ 02:48 AM
thephreak

i've never played XI and I'm probably going to pick up XIV because it will probably be the only way i can quit WoW. does FF have multiple servers spread across different regions like WoW?

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

August 28, 2010 @ 02:33 PM
Rizzice

I played FFXI and I really really hope that FFXIV isn't the same..
August 29, 2010 @ 02:58 AM
SantaDuJuan

i've never played XI and I'm probably going to pick up XIV because it will probably be the only way i can quit WoW. does FF have multiple servers spread across different regions like WoW?

No. American players play with European/Asian players same as with FF XI. I never really played with Japanese players so you'll have to ask Infamous for how it played out in FF XI. In terms of quality for the sever it'll be about as good as WoW's. I haven't played an MMO that had bad servers since maybe that Star Trek MMO.

I played FFXI and I really really hope that FFXIV isn't the same..

The game plays a lot like FFXI. For instance, they want you to level multiple classes on one character, they would prefer you used a gamepad. Those two things come off top, obviously the races are the same. I don't think we know enough about the class system to tell if a lot of the same classes are there.

i hope its really similar to FFXI cause i loved that shit. i really hope they come correct with the music but then again when doesnt FF have awesome music?

Yeah man judging from the song they used for the latest trailer they're still on top when it comes to in game music. People jizz over WoW's music and shit but honestly FFXI and EQ2 have the best music in any MMO I've played.
August 30, 2010 @ 09:15 PM
SantaDuJuan

I've left mine charging for months now by accident.
:/

So I guess I'm getting those boots.
August 31, 2010 @ 09:11 AM
unknown force.

nope got postponed but i'm dl'ing now anyways. got dat e-mail
August 31, 2010 @ 02:01 PM
SantaDuJuan

nope got postponed but i'm dl'ing now anyways. got dat e-mail

yeah man it's an 8 gig download. razz
September 3, 2010 @ 08:09 AM
SantaDuJuan

entry.ffxiv.com/
they're sending out codes today so be sure to sign up.

Use their torrent, don't use the client. It moves at snails pace.
OR read this www.ffxivcore.com/topic/12719-open-beta-megauploadutorrent-links-install-instructions/

Enjoy it guys, tell us what class/race you play.

Also what server is HB going to play on?
September 5, 2010 @ 12:30 AM
unknown force.

what world are yall playing on???
September 5, 2010 @ 01:49 AM
zyezye

got accepted and downloading
coolcool

HB CLAN WAS GOOD!?
September 5, 2010 @ 03:49 PM
SantaDuJuan

got accepted and downloading
coolcool

HB CLAN WAS GOOD!?

YUSS
I'm trying to install now between doing homework and shit.
Seriously guys: HB Fam Linkshell let's do it.

What classes do you guys usually play in MMOs?
I'm usually always a healer. Allows me to fuck over people that make me mad. >sad
September 5, 2010 @ 05:09 PM
unknown force.

pretty sure i picked a monk, i was honestly just going from looks lolll. just started it up and went thru the first cutscene/fight then quit. but characters look pretty sexy
September 5, 2010 @ 11:58 PM
calintz

if you start on the PC, then later play on the PS3 - are you able to carry over characters?
September 6, 2010 @ 12:08 AM
unknown force.

yeah its 1 account. when i played ff11 i started on ps2, then pc, and also bought it on xbox360
September 6, 2010 @ 01:59 AM
SantaDuJuan

yeah its 1 account. when i played ff11 i started on ps2, then pc, and also bought it on xbox360

Wow, that's fucking awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc6M2CxPfT0

female hume / conjurer / all white magic

I loled.
September 6, 2010 @ 12:08 PM
SantaDuJuan

It's the key to success:

www.ffxiah.com/item/14198/marine-m-boots

www.ffxiah.com/item/14199/marine-f-boots

female equipment in much less demand and therefor, same shit for a much cheaper price. not to mention all the free stuff you'll get from guys, party invites, special treatment, etc.

No, I agree with you. All of my toons on WoW are females and my toon on FFXIV will be female.
September 6, 2010 @ 02:52 PM
SantaDuJuan

Just finished installing/patching today.
I loaded it up and played for about a half hour. First impressions, mouse control is HORRIBLE. I'm going to try with my PS3 controller either later today or tomorrow.

Graphics/Cutscenes are nice, although a little lagish on the cutscenes but only ones that seemed demanding on my computer.
Name: Zape Bee (don't ask I forgot I had to make a last name and this is what I thought of at the time)
Class: Thaumaturge
World: Figaro (willing to change to whatever world you guys are on
Starting City: Limsa Lominsa.

It's really not that hard to install and get it running in a couple of hours, any questions PM me or something.
September 6, 2010 @ 03:39 PM
unknown force.

xbox 360 controller + keyboard for macros is da only way to play. + windower the developers get on it.

my name is Who Dat lawl but i can't remember what server i'm on im
September 6, 2010 @ 03:46 PM
SantaDuJuan

yeah the software mouse is retarded. im not even sure if im going to play PC version yet even though i purchased the collector's edition. might have to wait till march.

I don't know man, I say play it with a PS3 controller and then when the PS3 version comes out play it on that.
I mean you can use the same toons so why not?

Please login first to reply.