Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 8, 2009 @ 02:04 PM
Brooklyn_718

Can anyone give me some advice. I have an interview coming up I have gotten a job before and went to interviews but I really want this job and its a step up from my last situation. I don't want to screw it up. Also I get nervous and sometimes lose track of what I'm trying to say. I'm asking this here because I know alot of people here work in retail. Anyone here managers ? Is there something specific you look for when trying to hire someone ? Any advice is welcomed thanks.

(By the way no BS don't post if a productive discussion is too much for you to handle.)

NEW QUESTION

Anyone have any advice or experience for a 2nd interview ? I got called for a 2nd interview.
June 8, 2009 @ 02:06 PM
richedesilien

stay calm
During the interview try to remain as calm as possible. Ask for clarification if you're not sure what's been asked and remember that it is perfectly acceptable to take a moment or two to frame your responses so you can be sure too fully answer the questions.

do you support systematic white supremacy or nah?

June 8, 2009 @ 02:09 PM
GOLDENi

Great point made by kickrocker. I honestly haven't worked retail but here's a good tip, fully answer your questions but don't make it too long & don't make a story out of it.. Basically, make it short & sweet as they say. & obviously dress to impress but don't go over the top with a suit & tie, just wear a nice dress shirt, polo, slacks, etc.

Best of luck to you & what retail store you going to?
June 8, 2009 @ 02:14 PM
richedesilien

as an add on to what PUR3GEN31US said: be as direct as you can when answering questions and it would help if you know something about the company prior to the interview. You got to make the manager feel like you're not just looking for a job but looking for a opportunity.

June 8, 2009 @ 02:48 PM
Zach

im going to turn in a job app to a restaurant i really need a job at. should i give it to the manager? and if so, what should i say to them, be friendly just introduce myself?
June 8, 2009 @ 03:30 PM
mrdalez

I always find it easier when you start the interview with some small jokes, small talk and stuff like that. And just try to bring something to the table that you think other people can't bring, these managers probably interviewed a ton of people and the reason they are still interviewing is because they haven't found the one they want.
Like others have mentioned, brief answers and background knowledge are always pluses to your resume. Try to keep eye contact, firm handshake, make sure your phone is off or on silent, etc.

Make them feel like its not just another person asking for a paycheck.
June 8, 2009 @ 03:35 PM

Inactive

Make a joke about his penis.
June 8, 2009 @ 03:38 PM
richedesilien

^ what not to do

June 8, 2009 @ 05:28 PM
Brooklyn_718

Great advice let's keep this going.....

Any advice on the dreaded "Tell me about your self ?" question ?
June 8, 2009 @ 05:33 PM
AutoSwag

I'm going to give you a piece of information that might keep you calm. Your applying for a retail job , so most likely the person doing the hiring is going to be a retard. So , don't sweat it , they aren't important. And if you don't get the job , remember this as well. Most people at retail locations that do the hiring are grossly under qualified to manage a business , or/and 90% are way out of their field.

Dont sweat it.
June 8, 2009 @ 05:52 PM
DStyles

Great advice let's keep this going.....

Any advice on the dreaded "Tell me about your self ?" question ?

Tell him a bit about yourself and some accomplishments.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

June 8, 2009 @ 06:28 PM
owensA

look up job interview tips on google, they'll give you some basic responses to some of the more common and trickier questions (i.e. "what is your greatest weakness" is very common). And as you'll be working in retail you'll want to focus on typical retail skills/attributes: i.e. your people skills, manners, helpfulness, affability, ability to sell, and extroverted personality.
June 8, 2009 @ 06:33 PM
havok...

say the usual...Hard working, self motivated, get along well with others, blah blah blah. since youre gonna be in retail, make sure you let em know that you can handle customers and all that and youre relatable to them and you wont crack under pressure.
June 8, 2009 @ 07:15 PM

Inactive

Upon greeting, instead of giving him a handshake stick your thumb up his butthole. Make sure it gets up there and give it a wiggle. smile
June 8, 2009 @ 07:49 PM
Joe_

something which interviewers really look for is backing up what you say with examples

e.g.

If you say you have effective time management skills provide an example of how you do (I juggle university, a full time job and a social life etc)

also if they ask do you have any questions definately ask them at last one question (preferable not about pay) maybe something like how can this organisation further my professional development? can this organisation offer me a career (even if you only want a casual job)

body language is also important make sure you sit up right and dont cross your arms
June 8, 2009 @ 08:11 PM
Soul Kitchen

be sure to know why you want the job (experience, you enjoy retail), and be sure to know a few hobbies, haha ive been asked that multiple times i dont know why.

keep your answers to the point too, a couple sentances, they don't want a speech.
June 8, 2009 @ 08:51 PM
dhkgfkdj

there's not much else to say, Helgen basically laid everything out.

but, again, EYE CONTACT is the MOST IMPORTANT THING...DO NOT SAY "UM" OR "LIKE", YOU WONT GET HIRED.

And just take your time...a few seconds of silence > stuttering, um/like/etc.

Also, for the "Tell me something about yourself" question, try this exercise I learned in apublic speaking class.

Before any interview, sit down and write out a short story about some event in your life, one that highlights one of your good qualities. Practice it like a speech for as long as necessary so that during the interview you can say it from memory. But don't come out with it right away. Pause, say something like "Hm, Let's see..." and then begin.
A girl from my class got a job specifically because she did this and the interviewer was impressed.

Good Luck
July 5, 2009 @ 01:51 PM
Brooklyn_718

Anyone have any advice or experience for a 2nd interview ? I got called for a 2nd interview.
July 5, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
Scotty

^ second interview is a good thing, u impressed them so now you will be interviewed by a higher manager! Most of the time they are going ask you what you would do in different scenarios! This is where they see if you pass the "test", see if you say the right things.. Basically, its to see what personality u have and how u handle things! Just remember they already like you so u don't have to go above and beyond to try to impress them and start getting flustered.. Just be be you and stay calm!
July 5, 2009 @ 04:03 PM
steezinkicks

Don't lie. Don't small talk in my opinion your just wasting time. GET TO THE POINT! Tell them why you want this job, why your qualified, things of that sort. And believe me when i say this, you can have the qualities they are looking for, but in the end IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR PAST WORK EXPERIENCE! Retail places especially look at your past work experience! TRUST.
July 23, 2009 @ 03:37 AM
revlv

be yoself
July 23, 2009 @ 04:14 AM
flo$$ta kid

i think the most important thing is to stay confident during the interview. u can bs about some things but remember to give an impression ur keen on the job and wanna make progress. i got my first position for just walking into the store and telling i want to work here.
August 1, 2009 @ 09:47 PM
Josiam

dont be nervous talk to the interviewer like a teacher
April 1, 2011 @ 09:44 PM
hdblue

dont be nervous talk to the interviewer like a teacher

Hi,

I agreed with you. Interview is very different and difficult. I want share some my exprerien about interview.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at: jobinterviewquestions.biz/retail-interview-questions
Good luck.

Please login first to reply.