FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
September 21, 2008 @ 12:37 AM
Spankbank

What do you guys think about Ne-Yo's new album? I think its pretty good, listening to it for the 5th(confused time.
September 21, 2008 @ 08:58 AM
pnsho

Some tracks are good.

So far, his best effort, imo.
September 21, 2008 @ 10:07 AM
BDubbed2122

I think it's pretty nice, overall. "So You Can Cry" was dope.
September 21, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
CuttyBuddy

didn't like it at all

Co-sign. I wouldn't go as far as to hate it, because I thought "Mad" was a pretty dope song, but man Ne-Yo isn't improving. "Closer," "Miss Independent," and "Single" all failed to impress me. His "Because Of You" album wasn't great either. "In My Own Words" is still on top right now for him. Ne-Yo is REALLY going to have to step it up for his fourth album.
September 21, 2008 @ 02:29 PM
Spankbank

^^^Aw, it isn't impressive, but I still like it. Though I can see where you're comming from.
September 21, 2008 @ 02:53 PM
wikedwun

good album, Single is the best especially the one with NKOTB
September 21, 2008 @ 04:57 PM
CuttyBuddy

^^^Aw, it isn't impressive, but I still like it. Though I can see where you're comming from.

Lol I can understand if I'm coming off a little strong, but "In My Own Words" set extremely high standards for him. We're talking about the album that brought us "So Sick," "When You're Mad," "Stay," and the timeless "Sexy Love." That album was an R&B masterpiece, and many people thought he should be able to live up to it, but as of now, he has yet to do that. I copped "Year Of the Gentlemen" nonetheless, so it would have to take Ne-Yo screwing up really bad for me not to get his albums.
September 21, 2008 @ 07:49 PM
easy-e

For me, easily a better album than Because of You. I've been playing 'Mad' over and over, 'cause 'Closer' and 'Miss Independant' were already overdone before the album came out. All in all, a pretty solid album.
September 21, 2008 @ 07:51 PM
randomgrandeur

My issue with Ne-Yo is that he doesn't deliver 100%. His writing skills are superb, but his voice just doesn't do it for me. Plus, the production on his songs as of late are signature. I can tell a Ne-Yo song apart from the rest but that's not always a good thing because his albums do not translate well.

His debut has been his best effort. "Because Of You" was simply awful and "Year Of The Gentleman" is better, but not something that I can throw on and listen to all the way through.

His standout tracks on this one:
"So You Can Cry"
"Mad"
"Lie To Me"
"Why Does She Stay"
"Fade Into The Background"

I suggest downloading the aforementioned and throwing the rest of the album away.
September 21, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
CuttyBuddy

^ I can't agree with you when you say his voice doesn't do it for you. He is supposedly a Michael Jackson-esque R&B singer, like a couple of others in the game right now, and Ne-Yo's voice does that justice. I have absolutely no problem with his voice, and I love the combination of him and Stargate on most of his songs. That combo is what brought him to fame. But, yes, since "In My Own Words" he has failed to deliver for the highly-anticipating fans, myself included. His second album is clearly the worst, although I did enjoy "Because Of You" but that was honestly the only song I enjoyed. But the thing that bothered me about "Year Of The Gentlemen" is that the album sounded a little, how should I put this, immature compared to the last two? The last two were straight grown, mature shit, and yet YOTG doesn't do that. I felt "Miss Independent" and "Closer" didn't sound like him, not his signature style at least. And I absolutely hate the fact that Ne-Yo didn't decide to put "She Got Her Own" on the American version of the album, which is supposed to be the next single and the "part 2" of "Miss Independent."
September 21, 2008 @ 10:27 PM
pnsho

^ I can't agree with you when you say his voice doesn't do it for you. He is supposedly a Michael Jackson-esque R&B singer, like a couple of others in the game right now, and Ne-Yo's voice does that justice. I have absolutely no problem with his voice, and I love the combination of him and Stargate on most of his songs. That combo is what brought him to fame. But, yes, since "In My Own Words" he has failed to deliver for the highly-anticipating fans, myself included. His second album is clearly the worst, although I did enjoy "Because Of You" but that was honestly the only song I enjoyed. But the thing that bothered me about "Year Of The Gentlemen" is that the album sounded a little, how should I put this, immature compared to the last two? The last two were straight grown, mature shit, and yet YOTG doesn't do that. I felt "Miss Independent" and "Closer" didn't sound like him, not his signature style at least. And I absolutely hate the fact that Ne-Yo didn't decide to put "She Got Her Own" on the American version of the album, which is supposed to be the next single and the "part 2" of "Miss Independent."

Well, he even said he was going to change styles for this album.

The only tracks I can listen to from him a couple of times over are Because of You, Miss Independent, So Sick, and Can We Chill.
September 22, 2008 @ 12:31 AM
YorkCount

Heard like 5-6 records off this album
They all sounds pretty good, but not amazing.
Co-sign with what the dude said earlier, Ne-Yo definately isn't improving..He's staying on the same level that he's been on for the last 2-3 years
September 22, 2008 @ 04:02 PM
CuttyBuddy

^ I can barely say he's still on the same level. He may have gotten just a little worse. And I can understand that this may be an experimentation album for Ne-Yo, since he has a LOT of new sounds that we have never heard from him before, but it's not making the cut, at least not for Ne-Yo.
September 22, 2008 @ 05:45 PM
jay3091

So far I like:

Why Does She Stay?

I heard Nobody a long long time ago...and...Mad. Some of the tracks aren't that memorable because this album is...well...typical Ne-Yo. But it's good.

Please login first to reply.