Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
February 24, 2010 @ 06:13 PM
Koven

I just started shooting in M mode with My d60, right now its mostly trail and error.

Anyways I have a question....When you guys are doing hand held shots. Do you guys just keep the same shutter speed (ex 1/10 seconds) and then just adjust the aperture accordingly?

Or do you adjust shutter and aperture each shot?

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

February 24, 2010 @ 06:17 PM
julian.

you'll usually need to meter every shot depending on climate.
there is a light meter in the camera after all..

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

February 24, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
Koven

Cool so do you fallow the light meter to a T, or do you use that just give you a general range?

For example, what situations would you shoot at a higher or lower F stop then what the Light meter suggests? And does it change if you have flash? Sorry im a noob.

February 24, 2010 @ 06:36 PM
Koven

another thing, say your taking a pic at night time with a tripod. And have the option of doing a long exposure. Is a Lower or Higher Fstop recommended?

February 24, 2010 @ 06:37 PM
TheSecondComin

wtf go take a class.
February 24, 2010 @ 07:27 PM
Koven

wtf go take a class.

Your join date says everything.

February 24, 2010 @ 07:57 PM
AW

All your settings just depends on what you're shooting + lighting conditions. There also other factors like ISO that play a role, and etc..

It basically depends on your desired depth of field + Light I guess.

For example, if you have a main object you're shooting (like macro or you only want one thing in focus), then i would use a lower f-stop (f/1.8, f/3.5, f/5.6...etc) But if I'm shooting some street shots / scenery and want most of the scene or all of the scene in focus, then I will use a higher f-stop (f/8, f/10,f/13...etc) so everything will be in focus.

As for shutter speed, I set accordingly to my f-stop and sometimes the other way around.

This is such a broad question, I totally dont get how I could answer you precisely cause it depends so much on your own conditions while shooting.....
February 24, 2010 @ 08:33 PM
no0 v.2.0

^good generalization. well yeah, unless your lense has IS, or VR, you will only be able to shoot at a minimum shutter speed of 1/60, or else you'll get camera shake, which would give you blurry pictures.

and lighting conditions completely influence the manual mode. if the lighting condition is poor, you'd need to open up your F stop, meaning you'd need a lower aperture, like f/2.8 f/3.5 shit like that. if you're under harsh lighting, you'd need a smaller f stop to prevent over exposure, so that'd mean you'd have to shoot at shit like f/16 f/22 f/36, etc.
February 24, 2010 @ 08:39 PM
no0 v.2.0

and may i ask, why are you shooting in the manual mode? the manual mode is the hardest for beginners to learn from. shoot with the "A" mode, it alows you to select an f stop and the camera calculates the shutter speed.
February 24, 2010 @ 09:02 PM
Koven

Thanks for the advice and eventhough this is a broad question both of you came through with very useful advice.

Everyone tells me to shoot in M mode, like its comparable to driving stick. Like M mode can give you best possible pic because you can optimize the camera to give the best possible shot. And ive been shooting in P, A, S modes since I got my cam in August but I think im not fully utilizing it until i can shoot manually.

February 24, 2010 @ 09:11 PM
JonnyRabbit

looking good so far

AnmlHse Philadelphia - Design Collective/Brand / http://anmlhse.com

February 24, 2010 @ 09:14 PM
no0 v.2.0

Thanks for the advice and eventhough this is a broad question both of you came through with very useful advice.

Everyone tells me to shoot in M mode, like its comparable to driving stick. Like M mode can give you best possible pic because you can optimize the camera to give the best possible shot. And ive been shooting in P, A, S modes since I got my cam in August but I think im not fully utilizing it until i can shoot manually.

the only time i've actually had to use M mode was when there was really deceiving lighting conditions for a portrait, one part of my friends face was over exposed, another part as underexposed. out of the 2 years i've owned an SLR, i've only used M mode once, you can get as good, if not better exposures using A or S mode.
February 24, 2010 @ 09:14 PM
Yom

may i also recommend shooting in RAW

its really useful as u can correct lots of exposure etc errors afterwards

ive actually only recently started shooting everything in RAW suprised and feel my pictures have improved a lot because of it

ive also only recently started shooting everything in M mode, mainly because of the off camera stuff im doing.

using AV and TV (canon modes) modes will help u understand f stop and shutter speed well imo

www.nagoyayom.com

February 24, 2010 @ 09:33 PM
JonnyRabbit

if you have a Nikon, try shooting in all the modes. there's reasons as to why they are there in the first place. There is no guideline on what you "must" shoot on. Try shooting in P mode. It will automatically adjust your setting depending on your environment. Pay careful attention to your light sources(such as time of day, whether you shoot indoor, night time shooting) and take note. You can check your settings on each picture (ISO, shutter speed, etc). When you get the hang of it, switch to M.

You cant expect to learn it all in a day, but it's something you can do every one in a while.

AnmlHse Philadelphia - Design Collective/Brand / http://anmlhse.com

February 25, 2010 @ 08:54 AM
Koven

Yom, november, johnny, thanks for the replies.

One i get a bigger memory card I'm going to start shotting in Raw mode. I guess for now ill shoot in A and S until I get comfortable and used to manual.

February 25, 2010 @ 03:57 PM
AW

When you're shooting in A + S mode, it really allows you to generally know and be able to memorize the basic settings. (The pairing of the F-Stop to Shutter speed during different situations.) From there, you can tweak it a bit once you sort of remember the settings. (Which is basically what you're doing in Manual mode anyways)
February 26, 2010 @ 12:07 AM
dmiriz

and may i ask, why are you shooting in the manual mode? the manual mode is the hardest for beginners to learn from. shoot with the "A" mode, it alows you to select an f stop and the camera calculates the shutter speed.

i think because he's trying to learn. it's a good idea to use manual settings and trial and error is probably one of the best ways to learn.

since it's digital you're not gonna spend money on film and so good good you're on the right path. check out some photography blogs online or magazines from b and h if you have one near you they give good tips sometimes and you can learn just from looking at the composition of other photographs.
February 28, 2010 @ 10:37 AM
jay tee

being able to shoot full manual is an invaluable skill to have, and working full manual is probably the best way to learn to understand the concepts of proper exposure. that being said, however, you'll find when reading interviews with most of the top professionals in the industry, they still choose aperture priority/shutter priority mode in general situations and use exposure compensation (EV +/-) to achieve their desired exposure. I think everyone should be able to eyeball a particular scene and guess at the proper exposure settings to around one f-stop, thats part of being a photographer. but todays in camera light meters are so precise, its not something you are going to need to do for each and every shot.
March 2, 2010 @ 05:17 PM
denim_archive

I discovered that making sure you have a proper white balance can really making a big difference - I started using the custom white balance and you can really get creative with it, or proper.
March 2, 2010 @ 09:40 PM
bonandrew

theres a metering scale inside the vf, try to keep the degree in the middle
March 3, 2010 @ 12:54 PM
tmwtg

^ Co-sign.

I'm still new, so I'm getting used to A/S modes first.
March 4, 2010 @ 04:41 PM
Spankbank

Damn so all this time I shot kinda wrong, haha. I started out shooting in Manual and I feel comfortable doing it *shrug (Mind you I had no prior photography knowledge except p&s)

For me, I just think shooting in M makes you learn more and you know your camera's nuts&bolts, then again maybe I'm wrong since I'm just a beginner.
March 5, 2010 @ 10:15 AM
malaujai

I shoot almost exclusively in Av mode... in underlit conditions, I might switch to Tv to eliminate handshake (if I'm shooting handheld). I rarely shoot in M -- only when I'm trying to get an under or overexposed shot.
March 11, 2010 @ 01:14 AM
triggahapppy

i normally shoot manuel when i know the lighting will stay consistent.... normally when im using strobes, or shooting an event like a party. M helps you get the same result in every picture.
April 4, 2010 @ 01:08 AM
Koven

Bump..

So Ive been shooting in M mode the past month.....and IMO its the only way to do it on a dslr for a variety of reasons. You learn more about your camera and can predict what a pic will look like in certain conditions. You think more before each shot, something I never used to do. And you can take your camera and lens to the limit... it also forces you to read up on those extra settings you never though you'd consider.

some pics from the last month....just messing around.

April 4, 2010 @ 06:47 AM
kawsonebob

Nice shots. I started with my 350d in auto then after gettin used to the cam swapped over to manual. You can check some of my shots on my Flickr. Manual is all i use these days. Just experiment as much as possible. Try all the features on the cam, thats the beauty of digi you dont waste any film.
April 4, 2010 @ 03:08 PM
mynameismcallister

just got the 550d/rebel t2i and learning the manual mode..

Mister McCallister!

April 5, 2010 @ 11:56 AM
tmwtg

Sneaky, any post-processing?
April 5, 2010 @ 06:46 PM
Koven

Sneaky, any post-processing?

on the pics i just posted...all have light PP except the last two which are straight from the camera and using manual focus.

April 5, 2010 @ 08:52 PM
sgt H

spill the beans on how to edit like this... now! &)

Please login first to reply.