Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
May 8, 2009 @ 09:33 PM

Inactive

Ok I need some serious help and im hoping this is the right place to ask. Im in the process of starting my clothing line and I got the name and logo ready as well as the website and even some customers waiting on some shirts. My main issue is I dont know how to take my designs and actually make them come to life. I want to be as professional as possible. I want good quality tshirts with my own tag printed on the neck (no fabric tags, screen printed). How should I get started?
May 8, 2009 @ 09:57 PM
oneDUBseven

i dont understand what you're asking..
if you have everything-then print it...doesnt seem to hard
May 9, 2009 @ 11:07 AM
Trevor

if you have everything-then print it...doesnt seem to hard

Exactly!

Do some research and figure what you should/want do...dont get people to tell you what to do.
May 10, 2009 @ 12:11 AM
Broken Bank Clo

If you want to be professional then you might want to set some money aside for a trademark/copyright
Thats $600 once you have the name established and all the specifics. You will need a sample for the trademark. Start there before you go and start posting your "ideas"

Broken Bank Clothing *** www.BrokenBankClothing.com *** @brokenbankclo

May 11, 2009 @ 09:18 PM
Halloway Murder

yo. Just do some research on your local screen printing shops. Talk to as many as possible. check out their samples and see who would best benifit you. Just cause you find one place for cheap or whatever doesnt mean youre gonna get the quality you want. Talk to people and find out who did what with who etc. Networking and Research!

Halloway Company Join the Murder www.wearehalloway.com

May 11, 2009 @ 10:37 PM
Afrikasteez

man, if you cant even get this down, how you think people are going to take you seriously
May 12, 2009 @ 09:41 AM
WGMeets

"My main issue is I dont know how to take my designs and actually make them come to life."

Do you mean that you have a vision but don't know how to translate it to a workable t-shirt design, or do you already have the design but think it isn't good enough?
May 12, 2009 @ 11:22 AM
rommell84

im going to have to say and go to your local screen print shop and ask the info that you need to make your shirts come to life.

1.if your not good at makeing them then hire a designer to make your idea come to life.

2.send that file to the shop you want to work with to actually make your shirts.

3. market your brand to the right people and try to find local shops and boutiqes to cary your line.

this is a basic blue print on where you need to go to get the ball rolling and make your vision come true.
May 12, 2009 @ 12:34 PM
ATNMK

You just really need to do some research and question people in your area that have been involved in the industry. It can be a challenge finding shirts and screenprinters that without this help. So many ways to go about "Bringing your stuff to life"
May 12, 2009 @ 05:47 PM
obakeissick

FUCK A SCREENPRINTER.

i'm so tired of this commonly offered bit of advice.

if you're SERIOUS, pool your money together and try to secure a contract with an actual textile company.

no one will take you seriously if you're selling shirts produced by some local screenprinter.

most of the people on this forum, looking at the mediocrity they embarrassingly post, seem to be lacking in a fundamental understanding of what's required to deliver quality product.

it's not complicated, people.

it takes money and a hot concept.

if you have those two, along with people who're providing you support, you can make impressive inroads in this industry.

you want professionally done shirts:

labeling.

hangtags.

custom sized t-shirts.

thread counts to your liking.

you want designers with TALENT, creative minds that demand that you spend an amount that's commensurate with their obvious skills.

you want those designers to focus on SPACING and TYPE. spacing and type are key.

if your fonts are subpar, you won't be taken seriously.

you want a concept that isn't trite and interchangeable with every other streetwear brand. most fo you are unoriginal, coming with ideas that look only barely modified from the next guy.

think up an ILL concept, because people are DRAWN to the idea behind the brand.

you want SPARING design.

look at all of the successful brands, and you will find few that succeeded off of the obnoxious aesthetics most of you present on this forum.

minimalistic, clean, simple designs SELL.

period.

i see a lot of you post shirts with great drawings, but i know the shirts would NEVER sell.

people don't want to wear a fucking design on their shirt.

they want to wear the message behind the brand.

lastly, you need money.

to REALLY stake your claim in this industry, when starting out, you better be ready to spend 10gs -- AT LEAST.

if not, stop wasting your time.

I agree with a lot of what you said: Perfecting concepts and designs, recruiting talented and creative designers. All of that is important, but at the same time maybe people don't have that kind of money at the moment. Just because you don't secure a contract with at textile company doesn't mean the brand won't be successful. If they're an up-coming brand, where are they supposed to get the money from? Plenty of successful brands started out with locally screen printed items. What made them successful were their designs and presentation.

Just focus on creating the best designs possible. If you aren't happy with something, then don't release it.

haileybardwick.tumblr.com

May 13, 2009 @ 12:49 AM
obakeissick

While I'm reading your post, I can't help but think about Award Tour and how it started. I know for a fact that 10g's weren't put right into the brand IMMEDIATELY. They way you're talking, you make it sound like every successful brand just threw in 10g's and got work done. It's undeniable that a lot of money goes in to the brand, but can't that money come about as collections become more and more successful? That's what AT did at least. Once again, I completely agree with what you say about how much passion and patience it takes, but as for how to get started I think every person has the right to give it a shot regardless of how much money they have. Like you said, some of the most successful brands make great designs that are simple. And last time I checked, simple doesn't cost that much money.

These are great posts by the way.

May 13, 2009 @ 01:06 AM
Juki

^ I agree with most of what you say especially about a good name being one " which surrenders to a number of interpretations, is just infectious enough to stand on its own," however, you DO NOT need 10Gs minimum to start a clothing/tshirt line. More money the better of course, but money cant buy you success.

As for paying people to do all the work for you, I dont thing thats a good idea, even if you have the money because alot would get lost in translation between the owners original vision and the people you pay to design/create your line. I'd find less talented people like college students who you know and can trust and would look out for your best interests instead of someone just trying to make a buck. The right design/name and image is more important than quality when just starting. Plus, I like the notion of doing things yourself while learning and perfecting the craft. You can learn from mistakes and if your persistent the line will grow and eventually succeed if you have some potential.

You seem to imply that even thinking about starting a clothing company requires you to summon a large team of people and spend alot on money right out the bat. I think that with success comes later down the line....but todays industry is very competitive no doubt. Maybe you can show us some of this line your working on?

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 13, 2009 @ 02:00 AM
Juki

logo tees are what make the most money, and that's my focus. noisy illustrations and "wicked cool" graphics are wack, imo.

whether it's on a shirt or a sweatshirt, provided the clothes are of the quality we're aiming for, the name of a hot brand is what will sell.

when you have *****s killing each other (not literally,.haha) over a basic 'supreme' logo tee, it's clear what sells.

I cant agree with this more. This one reason I admire Supreme although personally I'd never wear their clothes. Their success has nothing to do with the creativity of their design or the quality of their clothing yet people go crazy for their stuff. Its almost any aspiring designers dream to get the type of following or brand recognition they have.

Atleast you seem to get what most people on here dont with their graphic shirts. And you've done your homework as far as the clothing industry goes. Thats the first step im sure we both can agree on.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 13, 2009 @ 11:44 AM
Munster

It's true that a solid logo and a memorable name can be more important than having insane artwork. I don't know why you're placing so much emphasis on custom fitted shirts though. Like what, Affliction or Ed Hardy type shirts? Most streetwear brands use AAA blanks, there's no need to spend the excess money in creating your own fit and feel. There's also nothing wrong with using a local screenprinter. It's not like screenprinting is some sort of magical art that only a handful of people know how to do properly, it's pretty universal.
May 13, 2009 @ 12:23 PM
littlebird886

i mean, if you want to know what i'm talking about, compare the shit posted in THIS sub-forum to what you'll find in the 'street and high fashion brands' sub-forum
May 13, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
WELLARMED01

Ahh great posts in this thread. A lot of solid points made.

Reminds me of that saying, "Those who can DO, those who can't TEACH".

WELL ARMED | www.ARMEDPROJECTS.com | @WELLARMED01

May 13, 2009 @ 01:23 PM
Aim2PLz44

I just think its funny that the guy who asked the question doesn't care enough to check out some of the responses... Says how much he really cares
May 13, 2009 @ 02:02 PM
Munster

i really doubt most POPULAR streetwear brands just use AAA blanks.

From what I've found, Black Scale, Diamond and Rogue Status/DTA use them. That's only a few but I would imagine there are more.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:04 PM
WGMeets

Them big dudes get away with shitty art, and shitty tees. Go for the blanks first I say, and test em out. Then when you get more dollas go for gold.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:11 PM
WGMeets

ecko, is one that comes to mind instantly, look how big that muthaf'ers gotten. I think its best to get the best you can for now, test it then move on up.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:27 PM
SubConThreads

no, by "custom fitted," i mean shirts that're manufactured specifically to the measurements and thread count you specify.

while slightly more expensive, it lends your shirt a more professional appearance, especially when it comes to labeling.

by no means am i implying that our shirts will look like those produced by ed hardy and affliction.

i really doubt most POPULAR streetwear brands just use AAA blanks.

you're pretty much as far off base here as you can get, a great majority of streetwear brands use the AAA blanks, many more brands than you would think, we used to use those, but we didn't like the fit and preferred a more fitted fit (i know redundant), so we use the AA 2001's, also being as we have a good line of credit with the AA warehouse it works out easier for us. I know this because we use the same printer that does, supreme, 10 deep, a life, etc. and i know what blanks they use.

In terms of start up capital, the more the better really. 10k is really a lowball number in my opinion base on my experiences with our brand. we spent a hell of a lot more than 10k just on promos and giveaways when we first started, and thats just for an example. If you are worried about how much money you're spending to the degree where it affects what type of work you display to the public from your line, than you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

What your proposing to new brands, to get custom bodies for their blanks, is pretty much the most ridiculous thing i have heard in a long time. based on just the amount of the minimum order you would need to put in to get something like this done, your fixed price will be so high that its not realistic to accomplish this. To really do this correctly you would undoubtedly have to get it done over sea's, i.e. china, and your minimums are gonna be something in the 2500 -5k range. for a brand just starting out that is just unmanageable, and your cost for that would be well over 10k, and that doesn't even include printing, marketing, website, etc etc.

I saw someone bring up Ecko, people don't realize that mark ecko won't bankrupt i believe 2 times, maybe more, before this current ecko line took off, and he only got that to take off because a friend of his in the business gave him $2million to start it up and he did it the right way the last time around, i heard this straight from his mouth, so its not bs or a urban legend.

i'm just sayin....
May 13, 2009 @ 02:32 PM
WGMeets

"I saw someone bring up Ecko, people don't realize that mark ecko won't bankrupt i believe 2 times, maybe more, before this current ecko line took off, and he only got that to take off because a friend of his in the business gave him $2million to start it up and he did it the right way the last time around, i heard this straight from his mouth, so its not bs or a urban legend."

I believe it 100%, I knew dudes that were close to him and told me that same stuff. I just think that for now, spend what you can and don't go over your head on certain things that can maybe get better later on. You brought up a valid point SubCon.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:36 PM
AKLAIMED

you're pretty much as far off base here as you can get, a great majority of streetwear brands use the AAA blanks, many more brands than you would think, we used to use those, but we didn't like the fit and preferred a more fitted fit (i know redundant), so we use the AA 2001's, also being as we have a good line of credit with the AA warehouse it works out easier for us. I know this because we use the same printer that does, supreme, 10 deep, a life, etc. and i know what blanks they use.

In terms of start up capital, the more the better really. 10k is really a lowball number in my opinion base on my experiences with our brand. we spent a hell of a lot more than 10k just on promos and giveaways when we first started, and thats just for an example. If you are worried about how much money you're spending to the degree where it affects what type of work you display to the public from your line, than you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

What your proposing to new brands, to get custom bodies for their blanks, is pretty much the most ridiculous thing i have heard in a long time. based on just the amount of the minimum order you would need to put in to get something like this done, your fixed price will be so high that its not realistic to accomplish this. To really do this correctly you would undoubtedly have to get it done over sea's, i.e. china, and your minimums are gonna be something in the 2500 -5k range. for a brand just starting out that is just unmanageable, and your cost for that would be well over 10k, and that doesn't even include printing, marketing, website, etc etc.

Exactly right.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
Munster

SubCon pretty much nailed it.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
Juki

SubCon, do you know of a good book on this subject, or something business related in general, that would help aspiring designers. Maybe a book youve read or something people have referred to you. Ive heard too many stories of clothing companies starting out only to go bankrupt/run out of money. With all the money you and on1x say is needed to start a clothing company youd think that people would read a little and prepare themselves before jumping completely in.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 13, 2009 @ 02:48 PM
SubConThreads

SubCon, do you know of a good book on this subject, or something business related in general, that would help aspiring designers. Maybe a book youve read or something people have referred to you. Ive heard too many stories of clothing companies starting out only to go bankrupt/run out of money. With all the money you and on1x say is needed to start a clothing company youd think that people would read a little and prepare themselves before jumping completely in.

honestly no i don't know of any books

i came into this business with 4 friends, and none of us had any fashion experience, we got out there did the trade shows and met people, went to events and parties and talked to as many people as we could, and over the past 2 years i think we all learned a pretty good grasp on how the clothing and specifically streetwear business runs. its very clique orientated, so getting into those cliques is very important or at least having them recognize that you exist and are making moves forward.

that said a majority of us went to school for business and worked in the finance field and kinda understood how things were supposed to work behind the scenes in a basic form. the rest we learned along the way.
May 13, 2009 @ 02:50 PM
WGMeets

That's good that you have that biz side down, for me is the total opposite. I am the brain/designer/web guy for what I am going to do with WGM, which is easy for me since I am a designer. But that business shit...whooo boy I need to get some help with that.
May 13, 2009 @ 03:01 PM
Juki

Yea, I figured you gotta have a business background or at least be working with someone who does. The rest you can learn just by networking and sharing experiences with people in the industry. If anyone else knows of a good book let me know.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

May 13, 2009 @ 07:46 PM
obakeissick

That's good that you have that biz side down, for me is the total opposite. I am the brain/designer/web guy for what I am going to do with WGM, which is easy for me since I am a designer. But that business shit...whooo boy I need to get some help with that.

I feel you on this man. I'm still learning how to run the brand with money in mind. I work with three other guys, but I do almost all of the work.

I'm glad this thread blew up a little bit. A lot of good points have been made.

On1x does have a point though. AAA blanks are great, but if I had that kind of money I would go with cut and sew shirts no questions asked. I have yet to find a better cut tee than a Bape x Kaws run I got as a present.

May 14, 2009 @ 08:51 AM
WGMeets

on1x your best post yet!

Please login first to reply.