July 16, 2010 @ 09:01 PM
Hybrid Moments

haven't had time to check this whole thread, but any nyc people been to East Side Ink? likes/dislikes? artists?

I got most of my work done at ny adorned like 10 years ago, and since then, their prices and requirements have gotten a little ridiculous. i'm going on the word of a friend though who was there recently... i haven't actually been in the since 01.

Dude go to Smith Street in BK and get either Bert, Eli or Steve to do something. In my opinion, that shop has the greatest artists out now. Bert also works in Bayside, Queens at Top Shelf. He is kinda pricey, but hey, you get what you pay for!

Edit: I go to Bert for traditional www.bertkrak.com/ and Johann for regular shit www.meanstreetattoo.com/johann.htm
July 16, 2010 @ 09:09 PM
kiko

wow that is fucking awsome...i've been wanting to do something similiar to this with the octopus concept but without color.
July 16, 2010 @ 10:31 PM
XionGlydius

Dude go to Smith Street in BK and get either Bert, Eli or Steve to do something. In my opinion, that shop has the greatest artists out now. Bert also works in Bayside, Queens at Top Shelf. He is kinda pricey, but hey, you get what you pay for!

Edit: I go to Bert for traditional www.bertkrak.com/ and Johann for regular shit www.meanstreetattoo.com/johann.htm

Fucking co-sign. Smith street have some great artists. I like Steve Boltz myself. shit NY seems to be the place to be when it comes to getting tattooed.
July 16, 2010 @ 11:35 PM
ateeeewuh.

July 17, 2010 @ 05:26 AM
Jetz

usually people regret get a tattoo that shows, but i think a spiral tatt would look sick
July 20, 2010 @ 03:56 AM
CaptureCreate

did jap tattoos become mainstream? lets hear your opinion
July 20, 2010 @ 05:37 AM
ozzycruzer7

getting first tattoo the 29th. getting daughter's name audrina down my side/ribs. any tips on preparation for tattoo? i.e. no drinking or advil or something? eating right before bad? i know dumb questions but any help would be appreciated. thanks
July 20, 2010 @ 07:17 AM
bird

they're standard issue for hipsters in NZ. i see them everywhere on the net too
July 20, 2010 @ 09:09 AM
Negron

I wouldnt say mainstream but most ppl think they "look" the best, there other cultures that have nice designs to them, but most think of jap tattoos first. They dont really care for the histoy behind them and what they actually can stand for. ex. those koi fish that everyone seems to have n prob dont know its gang related

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt ≈ @NegronusPrime

July 20, 2010 @ 11:23 AM
Yerm

getting first tattoo the 29th. getting daughter's name audrina down my side/ribs. any tips on preparation for tattoo? i.e. no drinking or advil or something? eating right before bad? i know dumb questions but any help would be appreciated. thanks

advil is a blood thinner, bad idea to take it before getting tatted. i got my ribs done also and it hurt like crazy but it wasnt miserable.
July 20, 2010 @ 12:57 PM
Drebrooklyn

My last tat will be a renaissance art piece...not sure which one i'll get just yet
July 20, 2010 @ 11:06 PM
ozzycruzer7

advil is a blood thinner, bad idea to take it before getting tatted. i got my ribs done also and it hurt like crazy but it wasnt miserable.

how big was you're piece? mines going top to bottom of side. i know of the pain involved especially for it being my first one and the location but it's worth it in my opinion since it is for my daughter.
July 20, 2010 @ 11:17 PM
Yerm

how big was you're piece? mines going top to bottom of side. i know of the pain involved especially for it being my first one and the location but it's worth it in my opinion since it is for my daughter.

its pretty big..top to bottom probably 8x8..it just depends on your pain tolerance..just dont focus on the pain and youll be alright..i hate the healing process of tattoos more than anything else
July 21, 2010 @ 05:08 AM
uneeq

make sure that you are not affected by drugs or alcohol and be well rested. eat something so your sugar levels are up.
July 21, 2010 @ 06:28 AM
&y

its pretty big..top to bottom probably 8x8..it just depends on your pain tolerance..just dont focus on the pain and youll be alright..i hate the healing process of tattoos more than anything else

this. the itching you get while it heals is way worse than getting the tattoo itself.
July 21, 2010 @ 01:29 PM
Ecstasy

anyone know johanns rate at mean street?

July 21, 2010 @ 06:03 PM
jmmc

I'm getting my first tat this weekend, I'm excited. I'll try to post pix later...
July 21, 2010 @ 06:31 PM
Ferris.Bueller

My next sleeve based around this

July 21, 2010 @ 06:46 PM
mayimbe181

that has potential man..my feet are based around that pic and similar drwaings

WWW.MAYIMBE181.COM @mayimbe181 twitter & Instagram http://vimeo.com/26407824 Jimmy Fallon appearance

July 22, 2010 @ 01:52 AM
threezero

I wouldnt say mainstream but most ppl think they "look" the best, there other cultures that have nice designs to them, but most think of jap tattoos first. They dont really care for the histoy behind them and what they actually can stand for. ex. those koi fish that everyone seems to have n prob dont know its gang related

how is the koi tattoo specifically gang related? It base on an ancient legend of a brave koi that swim upstream against the current and is reward for his bravery and dedication by turning into a dragon aka a legend as oppose to a mortal being that is a koi.

Unless you are talking about japanese tattoo, irezumi in general than yes because historically they were wore by yakuza gangster. Although in the very beginning it was the firemen that had them. But i don't think thats what you meant.

I have to disagree, japanese tattoo are very mainstream right now. It has influence in fashion, pop culture etc. And your right many people get them because they look badass. But that is the reason alot of people get tattoos not just for japanese tattoo.

The advantage to that is you can really tell (well at least for someone that have study abit on tattoo) who got it because its the trend and who got it because either they truly appreciate the art. Case in point, the popular koi tattoo you are refering too. Vast majority of ppl with koi tattoos got it off of a flash or maybe from an artist that does not specialize in japanese tattoo. Result is a very western looking fish, often resembling a giant red penis. A properly done koi tattoo on the other hand can be a truly unique work of art that can withstand the test of time.

Not hating on people with penis kois, what matter the most is that the wearer enjoys it. I have a dragon tattoo that anybody with knowledge in tattoo can tell that is done by a artist that does not specialize in japanese tattoo. It was my first tattoo and I didn't put enought research into it. It was well done but once i gain more knowledge on tattoos it irritated me that its not perfect. But to be honest it really suit me and it is still my favorite tattoo to this date. I'm a banana, yellow on the outside white inside. Dragon tattoos in chinese society are typically wore by gangsters, i know that before I got it and I didn't get it because i'm one or I want to show off. Sometimes tattoo can develop meaning as you get on with life. My dragon did exactly that and I'm thankful that while I didn't do my hmwrk on japanese tattoos I did choose a good artist and the tattoo was very well done. I do plan to eventually do a traditional japanese koi leg sleeve when i get to that certain stage of life, this time from someone that specialize in it.
July 22, 2010 @ 01:54 AM
Beach2theBay

I saw a black guy (he was about 45ish too) with a koi/japanese sleeve. I was shocked.
July 22, 2010 @ 02:30 AM
Scotty

Japanese Mainstream? I think the word u are looking for is Trendy... And yes Japanese style has become trendy especially Koi fish.. But like the dude up there stated, u can almost tell who gets em for the art and the meaning instead of being trendy... I know a few people who got em because they thought they looked cool, had no idea of the meaning and which artists actually specialize in em.. They came out like shit and now look like some fools.. But there is also people who go to people who specialize in the art but still dont know why they got it.. Most will say cause they look cool but dont have a clue that they have something tattooed with a meaning...

I have a Koi leg sleeve, i always get comments like "koi fish how cliche" but then i explain the meaning of it then they they shut up because i actually know what i put on my body.. Just like my arm sleeve coming up, its a japanese arm sleeve(not giving it away, hahaha)... I honestly could careless how "trendy" they may become, i still love the art and meanings behind it, so that wouldnt stop me from getting it done...

* Ferris - Dope idea, i love that style of old school... I know a dude who does that work amazing and i can give u his info, just PM me...
July 22, 2010 @ 02:34 AM
fatbro

i'm thinking about getting a quote (in cursive) on my forearm area. maybe 6-7 inches long? anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much it'd cost?
July 22, 2010 @ 02:32 PM
illmotion

Ferris.Bueller, what is this style of tattoos called?
July 22, 2010 @ 04:04 PM
JoJo

Added a little something to my sleeve, yesterday.

love to see more of the rose.
July 22, 2010 @ 04:18 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

this thread needs less essays and more pics. That's my opinion. Maybe tat heads feel different. But for me, tats are more about the visual and less about talking. *shrug*
July 22, 2010 @ 04:34 PM
Negron

how is the koi tattoo specifically gang related? It base on an ancient legend of a brave koi that swim upstream against the current and is reward for his bravery and dedication by turning into a dragon aka a legend as oppose to a mortal being that is a koi.

Unless you are talking about japanese tattoo, irezumi in general than yes because historically they were wore by yakuza gangster. Although in the very beginning it was the firemen that had them. But i don't think thats what you meant.

ha thats actually what i was referring to the yakuza history, but even even still most ppl dont know about the koi legend of turning into a dragon

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt ≈ @NegronusPrime

July 22, 2010 @ 05:19 PM
ateeeewuh.

this thread needs less essays and more pics. That's my opinion. Maybe tat heads feel different. But for me, tats are more about the visual and less about talking. *shrug*

not that many people have tattoos on this board.

unless you just want people posting random shit?
July 22, 2010 @ 05:23 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

true. I think it'd be cool if dudes did post more art that they think is dope. unless someone wants to post a dope tat art tumblr link. I just don't wanna filter through 100000000000 pages of trash to find one joint I like, namean? But yeah. I understand.
July 22, 2010 @ 05:32 PM
Lloyd

love to see more of the rose.

It looks a bit off because of how i held my arm, but whatever.

Please login first to reply.