300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
April 18, 2011 @ 09:43 AM
GOLDENi

Alright, here's the thing, I am Roman Catholic, my family attends church EVERY SUNDAY & they always try to get me to go but honestly, I DON'T WANT TO! I either do the "pretend to sleep" method or the "say no" method.

Anyways, is it even necessary to go to church? Like honestly, they always tell me, "Why don't you go to church?!" "You need to go!" My excuse "I don't want to go, church is boring.. I believe in God & I pray at home sometimes, as long as I believe in him is all that matters, I do not need to go to a building to worship him." But them being parents they don't care & still try & force me to go.

Yesterday was Palm Sunday & my mom was yelling at me trying to tell me to go to church but then I did the pretend to sleep method & I heard her walking downstairs yelling "this is bullshit, I'm tired of it!" SERIOUSLY?! Like.. come on! Church is a building where you come together & waste your damn money on them to spend on BINGO & crap.

Anyone feel the same? Thoughts.

/rant
April 18, 2011 @ 09:45 AM
db_cooper

chill out, ur shippin out to boot camp in like 3 weeks
Rizal

Now some modern day ♥♥♥♥♥ would say fuck the church? but thats where most of us individual got our moral POV.

Church is w/e

If I wanted to talk to God? I can do it anytime by praying.

/thread
only cure

Real talk:

The church in a logical context is not the physical building, its the community of the followers. So no, you don't have to go to church even if you are a believer.

http://omgadamho.tumblr.com/ http://cargocollective.com/adamho

April 18, 2011 @ 09:49 AM
GOLDENi

chill out, ur shippin out to boot camp in like 3 weeks

That's why you mah ♥♥♥♥♥.

Real talk:

The church in a logical context is not the physical building, its the community of the followers. So no, you don't have to go to church even if you are a believer.

Yeah, I believe & that's all that matters. But my parents don't understand that shit, they think Church is something YOU HAVE TO GO TO. They trying to make me feel guilty for not going but I know that I don't have to. As long as I believe, I'm good.

They don't understand but whatever.
April 18, 2011 @ 09:50 AM
TwiggyDig

April 18, 2011 @ 09:51 AM
Rizal

Sucks to be pinoy dude I tell you. My parents use to force me to go back then too. But now since i work every other weekend my days going to church had decreased. I use to go every other weekend till the point now where i only go when its my bday or christmas and new years. Not even easters and shit cuz normally we go somewhere for the whole weekend.
April 18, 2011 @ 09:59 AM
GOLDENi

Yeah I feel you, that pinoy church shit. When I was working, they wouldn't care because I was working usually during the time they go to church but now that I don't work they're like "Time for you to go back to church!", man F that!
April 18, 2011 @ 10:00 AM
missy.

i used to feel the same way but they never gave me a real reason "why" i had to go to church.. but now i'm not catholic anymore. :]

El Chino : id let claire fuck me with a strap on while im on poppers

April 18, 2011 @ 10:02 AM
yung_chico

I think it's not really necessary but I only go to church on important dates, like chrismas, palm sunday etc. Keeps the fam happy and I get to spend time with them after so no complains here.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:02 AM
GOLDENi

Honestly.. If you don't enjoy it, why go?

I think it's not really necessary but I only go to church on important dates, like chrismas, palm sunday etc. Keeps the fam happy and I get to spend time with them after so no complains here.

I spend time with the family regardless, but the that's the thing, I don't go & the family ain't happy. I know its just an hour out of my day to go but its not enjoyable.. I know I should keep the fam happy but they should understand that I don't want to go & that I really don't enjoy going. I have the right to choose, just wish they would understand that. But that's why they're parents...
April 18, 2011 @ 10:03 AM
K BOOG

Im Catholic too. One of the commandments is KEEP HOLY ON THE SABBATH(Sunday). So as a practicing Catholic you are supposed to attend. Understand the argument on both sides though. I enjoy going. Not every Sunday. But I do feel good when I go.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:05 AM
GOLDENi

Im Catholic too. One of the commandments is KEEP HOLY ON THE SABBATH(Sunday). So as a practicing Catholic you are supposed to attend. Understand the argument on both sides though. I enjoy going. Not every Sunday. But I do feel good when I go.

Okay.. I don't see where KEEP HOLY ON THE SABBATH means you are supposed to attend church..

Keeping God in mind is keeping holy imo & that's what I do everyday.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:15 AM
missy.

from what i'm learning, church on sunday is an excuse to be forgiven of your sins. say for instance, fat tuesday. people get fucked up and what not but they ask for forgiveness on ash wednesday (i'm only assuming this since i've never done both) as well as "giving up" like one thing for over a month.

in the bible it says to not drink and shit yet people still do it so what's the point in being religious at all? i think that if you're religious, don't do that shit and go to church, mosque or synagogue like you're supposed to... your connection with god is nowhere if you're going to do what he said not to do (i'm not talking about just drinking and stuff, this could go on with other things like praying and what not). you also can't believe that a random man is going to forgive you, only god can but you dont even know if he has.

now, not everyone follows the rules and people are flawed but i think that if you're trying to make a connection with god dont do the shit you're not supposed to do, attend church or whatever and... iono

morning rant. i'm so sleepy sad

also, i'm very bad at religion, i'm still learning a lot so forgive me if there are things i said that are "wrong"... this is my observation only.

El Chino : id let claire fuck me with a strap on while im on poppers

April 18, 2011 @ 10:20 AM
GOLDENi

Thanks for the input Missy & I agree on most of your points.

I am not big on religion but I believe in God just cause that's how I grew up, also God is imo someone who I can believe in when I have no one else to, someone who can give me hope & strength when I don't have it. That's what I believe God is there for, the feeling of forgiveness is better than not forgiving at all. We may not know that he forgave us but believing that he did makes us feel a whole lot better than not believing at all.

I don't think God specifically said NOT to drink or do any of that. Everyone sins, everyone breaks a rule, but the thing with faith is that you can forgive or think that he can forgive so you won't feel bad about it.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:20 AM
ahhhrt

Naw.

From the amount of people I see who are super-active in the community (of church) but are either super judgemental or just plain rude, I'd say it's not necessary.

Interestingly enough, they say God is all-knowing, and you can talk to him whenever. If this is indeed the case, I can just pray at home and practice in my own way no?

Eventually your parents will understand church just aint for you, they'll be angry about it, but eventually they'll just accept it. You are their son afterall.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:23 AM
ftp504

Keeping God in mind is keeping holy imo & that's what I do everyday.

You can not celebrate the Eucharist in your mind alone.

Luke 22:19-20
“And he took bread, and gave thanks,
and broke it, and gave unto them,
saying, This is my body which is given
for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Likewise also the cup after supper,
saying, This cup is the new testament in
my blood, which is shed for you.”

Acts 2:42
"They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers."

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

BTW I was raised Catholic though I have come to the conclusion there is no evidence for a belief in any god... I do know what Catholicism teaches (12 years of catholic schooling), whats the point of following a religion if you don't even try to do what is instructed?
April 18, 2011 @ 10:24 AM
GOLDENi

That's why you mah ♥♥♥♥♥ Art! Always comin' in with something good to say.

From the amount of people I see who are super-active in the community (of church) but are either super judgemental or just plain rude, I'd say it's not necessary.

The truth. Most of the best Catholics I know don't even go to church. They're good people, the people that I know go to church are usually people who are mad rude & judge you cause you don't go to church or something. Don't judge, God is the only one who can judge, thought you would know that since you go to church...
April 18, 2011 @ 10:26 AM
Rizal

Interestingly enough, they say God is all-knowing, and you can talk to him whenever. If this is indeed the case, I can just pray at home and practice in my own way no?

/thread
April 18, 2011 @ 10:28 AM
ahhhrt

Jesus told us to love one another, and accept each other because we're all in God's family right?
IDK, whenever I go to church, I see a bunch of hypocritical people. I mean, it's cool if you want to make it your life, just don't shove that shit down my throat.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:36 AM
April 18, 2011 @ 10:40 AM
brasil

whats the point of following a religion if you don't even try to do what is instructed?

That's Catholicism for you.

Other Christian denominations actually use the Bible as a guide.

As far as rude/judgmental people in the Catholic church, this is normal for a group of people who create so much ceremony for no purpose at all.

I've been to other Christian Denomination churches, and I can honestly say they are a very nice, simple, and humble group of people.
April 18, 2011 @ 10:51 AM
ftp504

No where in the bible does it say that the Bible is the only authoritative guide allowed to be used. It also talks about apostolic tradition(traditions that had been handed down from the apostles)...
April 18, 2011 @ 11:01 AM
shakintheD

my parents used to force me to go to church, it fucking sucks and im always hungry when im there.
at least they bring me to chipotle afterwards tho cool

im not religous nor anti-religous, i just think church is a waste of time
April 18, 2011 @ 11:06 AM
GOLDENi

I am the same.
April 18, 2011 @ 11:15 AM
MOEHENNY

Attending church doesn't validate your relationship with God, so no.
April 18, 2011 @ 11:19 AM
kush1086

im not religous nor anti-religous,

Name me a moral action or ethical statement committed by a believer that could not be made or uttered by a non believer...

If I was to ask anyone on this forum could they name a wicked action attributable only to religious faith there isn't a single person on this forum who would have to hesitate for a second...
April 18, 2011 @ 11:49 AM
blackice445

I believe you go to church to learn more about the bible and the religion but its not totally necessary. As long as you have a relationship with god and you accept him as your savior, your good.
April 18, 2011 @ 12:05 PM
denimworld

church is just someplace to go to keep yourself in check. no church is not needed for a healthy christian life, but it does elaborate on many things someone might be going through and help them understand what the bible means about it. i am a non denominational, so not sure on your belief, but i grew up knowing catholicism is a sort of cult based on rules. all you need is to know christ rose from the dead and that you study his word, because that is what really matters.
April 18, 2011 @ 01:51 PM
brannen

If you a scared motha fucka...

Please login first to reply.