Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
January 24, 2012 @ 03:00 PM
T.E.I.N.

Hi my name is Noah, I'm a freshman at Pitt and I just started a clothing line Gold Imperium. I'd like to believe I'm an artist because of that simple fact but truly I'm not. No artistic ability here. But I want to here from those who share the same problem, and how you've dealt with or are still dealing with this problem/situation. Personally for me it sucks, because all day, everyday I come up with ideas, some good and some that are really bad, but the thing I hate the most is I can't put pencil to paper and even attempt to bring that idea into fruition.
Just looking for good conversation on how you're coping with the problem and what successes/failures you've had.
January 24, 2012 @ 08:47 PM
Tyler

If you aren't a printer or a designer, it's just more expensive to produce your goods because you have to hire out and thus have to charge higher prices, but there's a ton of successful people in the industry who aren't truly "designers" though they would have you believe that they are.

If it really bothers you that much, figure out a way to do you're own graphics.

Tyler, The Fucking Hater My brand: WOODER www.woodersupply.com

January 24, 2012 @ 09:16 PM
charlietizzle

im an artist i can help you
January 24, 2012 @ 10:53 PM
T.E.I.N.

Thanks for your input. I don't have that big a problem with not being able to draw my designs, I personally have a great artist on my team, so its really not that much an issue for me, but it does almost defeat the sense on creation when you're not the one actually creating the art that you put on your t-shirts, sweaters, etc.
January 24, 2012 @ 10:54 PM
T.E.I.N.

im an artist i can help you
Yea totally man, my email is "nhwht@yahoo.com" send me some of your stuff. Do you already have a line, if so it would be awesome to do a collabo.
January 24, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
T.E.I.N.

If you aren't a printer or a designer, it's just more expensive to produce your goods because you have to hire out and thus have to charge higher prices, but there's a ton of successful people in the industry who aren't truly "designers" though they would have you believe that they are.

If it really bothers you that much, figure out a way to do you're own graphics.
I checked out some of you ish...your brand is fvcking fresh. That Southern Hostility is so cool and creative and I really like your art too. Are you your own artist or do you contract you designs? If you're interested hit my email up "nhwht@yahoo.com" I could surely use some help getting my stuff of the ground.
January 25, 2012 @ 01:45 AM
Tyler

I hire out for the illustrations, but do some design stuff here and there. I mean as long as you are directing the art it's still you're brand. Sometimes you have a design style in mind, but it's something you can't execute well enough. Then you have to hire someone. No shame in that, it's still your concept and creativity.
But! like I said earlier, it does add to your costs of production and cuts into profits so make you sure you can justify outsourcing.

Tyler, The Fucking Hater My brand: WOODER www.woodersupply.com

January 25, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
T.E.I.N.

Well thats the thing I don't have to outsource because my artist is on our team its me, and my 3 buddys that have a share in the brand. Granted I do take the design/creativity leadership but its all a group effort.
January 25, 2012 @ 03:04 AM
BarryGoods

You don't need to be an artist. Most of the dudes who've established themselves are business minded peoples. It helps to be proficient in design but not necessary. Just learn to do basic typography designs. Should be straight. Good luck.

P R O V E R S E | WWW.PROVERSE.COM | INSTAGRAM.COM/PROVERSEGOODS | PPP

January 25, 2012 @ 06:04 AM
Jake Ocean

You don't need to be an artist to run a brand. Like said above, as long as your giving proper art direction to the artist.
I'm in the middle of establishing a brand and I've been dealing with a bunch of designers, I give them the direction, they make it.

Typically how most designers work is either you jot down a couple sketches on a mood board, or they do with your direction, they turn it into a drawing, into photoshop, then its a design.

If your actually serious about starting a brand, definitely do not do your own designs if your not experienced in that field. Trust me, I tried designing my own stuff, it just looked really unprofessional and bad. You get what you pay for!
Good luck!

http://www.distantlight.co

Please login first to reply.