Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
February 12, 2008 @ 09:53 PM
pikafire69

I mean, I understand that you can get a unique fade and all that, but i'm just not sure... does it become soft like regular denim after washing? Or is it always going to be so stiff? Or maybe its not stiff, and I'm generalizing by the few pairs I've looked at. I just don't understand it.
February 12, 2008 @ 11:10 PM
filipin0y

its uncooked denim
February 12, 2008 @ 11:14 PM
Buttsecks

its uncooked denim

i prefer mine well done
February 12, 2008 @ 11:48 PM
terrellnrthcrk

February 13, 2008 @ 02:35 AM
clou

Yeah, they'll get soft after about a month, you just needa break em in.
February 13, 2008 @ 10:36 PM
pikafire69

ok
so... how long do most people wait before they wash them? and about how much should I expect them to shrink after the first wash? Because I like slimmer fitting jeans, and I don't want to buy something, expecting it to shrink, and then it's still too baggy of a fit.

And thanks to everyone who was helpful above. I really appreciate it.
February 13, 2008 @ 10:40 PM
Althis

what do u guys do to keep them clean so they dont smell like shit after 3 weeks? all that dead skin and sweat n shit smells nasty after a while
February 13, 2008 @ 11:05 PM
pikafire69

yeah, that was my next question. My jeans start to smell bad after about 3/4 days in them. I can't imagine 8 months. How do you cover the smell?

Also, I read something about having to soak them, and then walk around with them all wet in order to really get the right fade... what's that about? Or is this just wrong?
February 14, 2008 @ 10:55 AM
pikafire69

no, its not like you can smell it from a distance(not THAT stinky), but if you take a sniff, they're kinda smelly. I dunno, I'm not sure I could handle that. And do you wear them every day for that long, or just a few times a week?
February 14, 2008 @ 11:18 AM
ET88guy

all day baby, all day.
February 14, 2008 @ 11:50 AM
honorableninja

no, its not like you can smell it from a distance(not THAT stinky), but if you take a sniff, they're kinda smelly. I dunno, I'm not sure I could handle that. And do you wear them every day for that long, or just a few times a week?

febreeze antibacterial or throw em in a big freezer bag and freeze em for a day or so. kills off all the bacteria, bacteria is what makes em funky

vimeo.com/honorableninja

February 14, 2008 @ 12:29 PM
1000lbs

Also, a lot of the time just hanging them outside in a good breeze to air out does wonders for the sort of musty, sweaty smell that develops. And if you find that it's truly getting too bad, you can put them in a plastic bag and stuff them in the freezer for a bit.

As for your question about shrinking/stretching/ the general behavior of raw jeans, it really does depend on the brand. While most raw jeans share some basic qualities, each brand has different characteristics. If you want to just experiment a bit, I would say grab a pair of Levis 501xx STF. They are raw and are usually soaked in hot water and then worn while still wet/damp to achieve a proper fit (hence STF=Shrink To Fit) They're cheap and good to play around with. Buy a a size down and see if you can get a good slim fit from it. H&M makes a raw Sliq jean as well that is slim, shrinks minimally so you only have to size down about one to allow for stretching, and again is cheap enough that you can use it to test the waters. After that, most people would say that APC and Nudie are the staple mid-range raw denim brands. They both make a variety of fits and have different idiosyncrasies to watch out for so the best thing is to browse the threads in this forum pertaining to both until you feel knowledgable enough to make a purchase. Hope that helps.
February 14, 2008 @ 09:13 PM
Althis

smfh at your useless posts
February 15, 2008 @ 01:46 PM
pikafire69

wait... are they going to shrink, or stretch? I thought they shrink once you wash them. Oh, and I can't wear H&M jeans. Those are too slim. I have big legs from doing track.
February 15, 2008 @ 02:48 PM
1000lbs

smfh.

Is this directed at me?
February 17, 2008 @ 04:18 PM
Killa!

i am also curious about soaking i thought it was just for shrinking or cleaning
February 17, 2008 @ 05:06 PM
pikafire69

how ironic, this post was so usefull.

anyways, you could've just read the small questions thread, and the stickies instead of making a new thread. there's so many threads that are like this, which can all be prevented if people would just read.

I wouldn't say this is really a small question... its an overarching question about a type of jeans, how it works etc. Plus, like 5 people thanked me for this question. Which means I was not the only one who didn't find something for this.
February 17, 2008 @ 05:35 PM
billcass

can someone explain to me and show me a picture of what whisker fading and honeycombs are please
February 17, 2008 @ 05:45 PM
Lin

whisker = front pocket area creases

honeycomb = back knee area creases
February 17, 2008 @ 09:16 PM
CEL

^those are beautiful
February 17, 2008 @ 10:45 PM
billcass

thanks lin, thats what i thought whiskers where, but i didnt know what honeycombs were.
February 17, 2008 @ 10:58 PM
Big_peezy

thats so nasty how you rock those jeans for 8 months no wash???
whats so great about this that you would sacrifice personal hygiene?
just to have a pair of individual fades?
February 18, 2008 @ 12:08 AM
Buttsecks

thats so nasty how you rock those jeans for 8 months no wash???
whats so great about this that you would sacrifice personal hygiene?
just to have a pair of individual fades?

stfu and venture to other forums
February 18, 2008 @ 08:49 AM
pikafire69

no, i'm kind of curious about this myself. by keeping fashionable, and dressing in the way i like to look, it makes me feel good. a coach in highschool always used to say on our appearance, "look good, feel good, play good." i always held that to be true in real life. but at the same time, i feel like, "smell good, feel good, play good" would also be important advice. how much better of a look are you going to get from these jeans? will it be noticible by everyone that these are not pre-washed/faded jeans? how much better do these look?
February 18, 2008 @ 03:36 PM
pikafire69

I plan on it, I just want to make sure I know what exactly it is I am buying before I actually make the purchase.
February 18, 2008 @ 04:08 PM
1000lbs

Also, I've never personally worn a pair of jeans to the point where they smell noticeably. Or were noticeably grimy. When they're that dirty, wash them. It's no big deal.
February 18, 2008 @ 05:58 PM
koedog.

Daaaamn your jeans smell bad after a few days? I have a pair of jeans that I have owned since september and they still smell brand new and I have worn them atleast 2 times a week and sometimes more.

But yeah after being outside for a few minutes clothes start to get a weird nasty smell to them, but mine go away after a few minutes of being in my room.

Anyways, I too am curious as to how to get these honeycombs and wiskers in my raw denim jeans.

@KOEsher INSTAGRAM & TWITTER

February 18, 2008 @ 07:49 PM
HeatIsHot

I just want to make sure I know what exactly it is I am buying before I actually make the purchase.

just a pair a jeans. you seem to be making a bigger deal of it then it is.

Anyways, I too am curious as to how to get these honeycombs and wiskers in my raw denim jeans.

wear them.
February 18, 2008 @ 08:10 PM
pikafire69

before I drop 150 on something, I like to know what it's about. And I also want to know why i'm about to drop so much on a pair.Although, I think I'll get a cheaper pair to start. I get 40% off at this one store, which is really nice.

But yeah, after your inital wash, do you keep wearing them all the time, or do you then just wash them the same as your other jeans?
February 18, 2008 @ 08:16 PM
Buttsecks

before I drop 150 on something, I like to know what it's about. And I also want to know why i'm about to drop so much on a pair.Although, I think I'll get a cheaper pair to start. I get 40% off at this one store, which is really nice.

But yeah, after your inital wash, do you keep wearing them all the time, or do you then just wash them the same as your other jeans?

honestly its better to SEARCH this forum for all your answers (even google) then asking multiple questions that have been answered repeatedly...

Please login first to reply.