Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 8, 2008 @ 09:16 PM
EVEIS.DOPEYA

How is it
September 9, 2008 @ 04:19 PM
ByFuryAtTheHea

I'm majoring in Photojournalism at SF state. I like it a lot. The SF State photo department is top 10 in the nation. Its a lot of work, but it arms you with the skills to make it in the business.
September 9, 2008 @ 04:24 PM
mechanivolfe

its awesome if you love photography but art school is alot of work very little sleep
September 9, 2008 @ 06:32 PM
KICKROCKS

I plan of maybe getting into the photojournalism field.
September 9, 2008 @ 08:33 PM
~~~~

I'm majoring in Photojournalism at SF state. I like it a lot. The SF State photo department is top 10 in the nation. Its a lot of work, but it arms you with the skills to make it in the business.

Really? I was considering applying there, after reading this I might just do so.
September 11, 2008 @ 09:31 PM
Juki

a friend of mine was doing fashion photography and it looked fun working with models and all. Id say the perks of being a major or minor are the studio time, and equipment depending on the school of course. Its expensive though and real competitive and usually alot of work like any art program.

Doubleclutchhoops.com

September 15, 2008 @ 12:47 PM
Spankbank

I had a photography class back in hs that supplied decent nikon cams, forgot which series it was though. Though I'm thinking about taking a photography class just for fun next semester or sometime during my college career.
Personally, I don't know what good jobs you can get being a photographer besides working for magazines and newspapers.
September 15, 2008 @ 01:32 PM
Deemy

I had a photography class back in hs that supplied decent nikon cams, forgot which series it was though. Though I'm thinking about taking a photography class just for fun next semester or sometime during my college career.
Personally, I don't know what good jobs you can get being a photographer besides working for magazines and newspapers.

And working for magazines/newspapers give you a salary of like $40,000-60,000. If you're thinking about becoming an artist, it's much harder to get your name out (everybody's trying to be an artist). You have to know people and it's not a steady job/income.
September 15, 2008 @ 03:06 PM
Drebrooklyn

yeah i think photography and being a writer go hand in hand because both professions pay in the same manor
September 20, 2008 @ 01:55 PM
bduque821

damn i was thinkin fotojournalist as a major when i go to college next year
idk wut imma do in life
September 20, 2008 @ 02:04 PM
pnsho

The fact of the matter is, in the arts field, you'll never exactly 'settle down' in terms of jobs.

It's always up and down; the work isn't easy either. The cliche of a photographer's life being difficult (to the point where you're almost broke) is not really a cliche anymore.
September 20, 2008 @ 02:52 PM
Edward Chiu

Any arts major pays off very little. Like the poster above me said, its not a cliche any more, its an artists life
September 20, 2008 @ 03:15 PM
babyshoe

yeah its not really worth it anymore. the influx of digital slr cameras has kind of made the field irrelevant. Anyone can buy a d40 for 300 bucks and take a pretty good picture.

USC's department is insane. I think you have to submit your work first, or take their entry entry level class, which just seems boring to me since I took 4 years of photo in highschool
September 21, 2008 @ 03:28 PM
philippeee

A degree in any sort of Art program doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be living without a steady job or income if you use it correctly.
September 21, 2008 @ 10:03 PM
uncolkc

I shot for one of the major newspapers for over 2 years as a intern then a freelancer. From what majority of the photographers do these days is get a degree you can fall back on. Most go with a degree in business i've even seen guys with degrees in pharmacy. Majority of the learning process is internships. You will learn almost everything during internships and also build your phonebook which is your key to getting anywheres in this cruel world of media. I'm only 20 but i've been in and out of this profession and now moving to New York to start interning again. If you guys have any questions whatever hit me up.
September 22, 2008 @ 03:43 PM
ByFuryAtTheHea

Really? I was considering applying there, after reading this I might just do so.

to entice you more, SF State is one of 12 schools in the country that got a grant from Canon this year. We got $60,000 worth of brand new gear this year that we can check out as we wish. Its amazing.
September 23, 2008 @ 02:39 AM
DJ 19SIXTY

I was taking graphic design/photography in college then stepped away from school but in general if you really love what you do you won't be worried about anything. I took darkroom photo 1 & 2 and its time consuming but was a very cool experience.

Any art career won't be easy or steady but if your determined and have talent, fuck it! It's all worth it - no matter what anyone says.
September 30, 2008 @ 07:34 PM
COCO

A degree in any sort of Art program doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be living without a steady job or income if you use it correctly.

seriously, i'm a studio art major with a concentration in photography, but started out pursuing a double major in english (creative writing) and media...art is more than the work you present, there are so many outlets out there to make money from what you know

Please login first to reply.