hype cog
HYPEBEAST Forums will be freezing on July 31st 2017. Threads and posts will still be available to view. A new community initiative is being developed and will be rolled out soon.

Official Fixed Gear Thread

Inactive User

May 08, 2008 @ 04:02
Thanks for the info. I went to a bike shop yesterday and checked some stuff out. Still not certain what I want to do as of right now but the price ranges do seem to vary greatly. Im gonna take all of that into consideration when I decide though. Thanks again.
May 20, 2008 @ 00:00
Ok, so I've never owned a fixed gear before but I am an avid cyclist (basically my transportation). I have a birthday coming up and am looking for a nice fixie that would suit a quick-learning beginner. Really looking for a very nice basic set-up until i get into purchasing my own parts. What would you fixie heads suggest?

Inactive User

May 21, 2008 @ 00:07
I'd suggest looking at Craigslist as you can find some steals there if you're lucky.

But since you're probably just looking for a new fixed gear, then some suggestions would be:

Windsor The Hour, Mercier Kilo TT, Bianchi Pista, or an Iro.

Those are the most common "entry level complete" bikes, so you can't go wrong with buying one of those. Hope this helped!
May 21, 2008 @ 15:34
Thanks man, I'll look into those. I also heard good things about the Bareknuckle.
Jun 05, 2008 @ 02:50
New wheel. Hasnt collapsed on me yet. Bunny hopping, leg over the bar skids, exct. Pretty strong imo

Inactive User

Jun 12, 2008 @ 00:10
If you want to get some good deals in Asia, do contact Brian@HKFixed, he has some good deals going all the time. Here are my setups. Old pics tho... Obey now with Risers and Cinelli Drops back on the Colnago

Inactive User

Jun 12, 2008 @ 00:22
I'd say go with a road bike, that's what I use. Fixed gears are a bit of a fad right now but they don't have too much practical advantages besides, arguable, aesthetics (they're one gear, you use your pedals to stop, i.e. no hand brakes unless you add a front one, and are just kind of generally clumsy and can be a bit dangerous to ride, particularly if you aren't already an avid rider). In a fixed gear bike the pedals are tied to the wheel in such a way that you can't coast, if you wanna go down a hill expect your legs to be spinning very fast. If you are just biking around town/park (i'm assuming it's a concrete or smooth path in the park so as to not need a mt bike) and not going up hills you could opt for a single speed (non-fixed but with a freewheel and regular breaks and such) but unless you bike in a flat area (the Netherlands? ) you prolly want gears.

I mountain bike as well and spent a bunch of dough on my mt bike but for my roadbike (which I use for commuting and exercise as well) I hit up craigslist and got a used Fuji (a great company) in great condition for $140 (granted it's 30 years old but it didn't have an ounce of rust on it). Just make sure you find out what size frame you need, you'll want to go to a bike shop to determine that though, then go and look online or elsewhere and find your bike. You can prolly find some sort of approximate conversion online for height/frame size but height isn't a perfect way to determine frame size b/c leg length matters, but for a simple, imperfect point of reference I'm 5'10 and my road frame is 58cm.

As a road biker and mt biker I'm partial to gears and modern braking systems, but this is a fixie thread after all so I'm sure someone can explain their appeal (I for one don't understand it, but to each his own). Plus as fixed gears seem to be the hipster thing to do right now, regular road bikes might be a bit cheaper if you're looking for a used bike.

I used to think pretty much exactly the same as you (read the first page of this post), I live in Hong Kong and we have the worst traffic, hills, pollution and I used to think it would be impossible to get around without gears, but the truth is it's a lot easier on a fixed gear (I have compared it with BMX, MTB and a road bike) so until you have actually tried it, I don't think you should assume..
As for the appeal, to me it's kind of like skateboarding or snowboarding when you are carving down a hill, no brakes and side to side body movement/skidding trying to avoid traffic and pedestrians is a rush in itself, ability to do tricks which are evolving dramatically from other types of riders getting into this sport in the pass few years... Bottom line, you just got to try it! PS I think your 58 frame is a tad too big for you if you're 5'10
Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:26
I've ridden my boy's fixed quite a few times and it's just not for me, there's an initial novelty to it but that wears off and it just feels clumsy. Plus I'm in a city with aggressive drivers and I bike real fast so proper braking is very necessary. Plus in the Philly heat you really need to have gears and be able to coast so you can cool down and not have your legs pumping all day, it's a 100 degrees here and it's not even Summer yet. Not to mention I'm an avid mountain biker and road biker (for sport/recreation/exercise 5+ days a week) so I use my bike for more than just commuting so it would be awkward if every time i wanted to commute I'd have to get out of road/mt biker geared riding mode and get into the fixed gear stroke. I hardly think fixed gear riding is a lot easier than road biking, there's absolutely no mechanical, objective reason for that (outside of velodrome use), yes there are less parts so it's a bit lighter but that doesn't make up for the no gears disadvantage. I pass fixed riders on the street all the time (esp. on hills, uphill, as you note as being difficult on a single speed in your first post, and downhill as well) and I think theres a reason for that. Fixed gears are based on old technology/made for indoor tracks, there's a reason gears exist and its to make cycling easier, less strenuous, safer, and less awkward. The only clear advantages I see in fixed gears is that they're light (granted you buy an aluminum or carbon frame) and for those that don't know their way around the mechanics of a bike, there are less parts to worry about maintaining/getting fixed. I tend to work on my bike so that's not an issue but I understand that lot of fixed gear riders are fairly new to biking and not so knowledgeable when it comes to bike mechanics so I'm sure that's a major selling point for a lot of those people, as it should be. Plus as fixed gears are so much about image I guess the less parts you have to worry about maintaining/buying the more you can spend on ricing out your bike with fancy paint jobs, matching colored parts n such. I'm sure some people just like the continuous pedal/pedal brake style of fixed gears but it's just not for me.

And 58 cm fits me perfect, as it should for someone 5'11/33.75". I worked at a bike shop for some time and although we always made people try frame sizes/determined their inseam (inseam is much more significant in sizing than height itself) to get a proper fit, we also asked people their height and 57/58 was common for men of about 5'9-6'. And I'm talking size of the frame not top tube (my top tube is like 56 or so I believe), which I'm guessing you might be referring to.

Inactive User

Jun 12, 2008 @ 22:03
OK I am not going to argue with a roadie, for you information I have been riding bikes for over 30 years, have been riding mostly MTBs and BMXs and build/maintain my own bikes, but to give you an idea on being fixed, You feel clumsy because you aren't used to it and am not comfortable without brakes, it's normal. Once you get used to pedaling non stop all day and skid to brake, you can go as fast as you wish without worrying! And you can still "coast" by relaxing your legs loose and let the pedals do the work, it's basically a different way of riding a bike. I agree that gears help you climb up difficult hills and "Fixed gears are based on old technology/made for indoor tracks, there's a reason gears exist and its to make cycling easier, less strenuous, safer, and less awkward...", however some people enjoying going as fast as they can (like you) but others may enjoy the thrill of the danger and excitement from riding a bike designed 20 years ago for the track on the road without brakes! It's a rush you won't understand.
Jun 15, 2008 @ 21:31
Any reason I shouldn't get Weinman 18s for a conversion? Or are velocity rims worth the extra money?

I was wondering the same thing, are Deep-Vs worth the extra $$$ over Weinmann DP18s?

Inactive User

Jun 15, 2008 @ 23:57
I believe Velocity Deep V's are hype, they are heavier then most wheels, but they are also stronger and comes in a range of different powder or anodized colors. I think the rims itself could well be some Taiwanese OEM products and they just do the finishing but I could be wrong... Where as Weinmann is a noted manufacturer of rims and (formerly) brakes as well.
Jun 16, 2008 @ 03:01
That colnago is smokeyface

Took some pics of mine and my brothers bike. My fuji, Oldest bros concept, and older bros cinelli

Inactive User

Jun 16, 2008 @ 04:37
Very sick pics!
nice one
Jun 16, 2008 @ 12:25
I believe Velocity Deep V's are hype, they are heavier then most wheels, but they are also stronger and comes in a range of different powder or anodized colors. I think the rims itself could well be some Taiwanese OEM products and they just do the finishing but I could be wrong... Where as Weinmann is a noted manufacturer of rims and (formerly) brakes as well.

cosign, Weinmann makes a good product, never really much about Velocity... I'd look into Mavic and Bontrager as well, IMO they make the best rims out there. If you're looking into rims from an aesthetic point of view I dunno though, not sure if either do crazy colors n such but from a functional, performance oriented point of view Mavics n Bontragers are great.

Inactive User

Jun 17, 2008 @ 10:51
if you want the lightest and strongest rim available, and want to pay for quality rather then hype, get these
Jun 18, 2008 @ 16:08
Yeah it is. Especially since Rivercity and the Gallery have a monopoly on the market basically. I might just buy a set on eBay...but then there's always the risk of getting a bad/cracked wheel, a bent spoke...eh. Do you know what they're charging in PDX for DP18's right now?

Inactive User

Jun 19, 2008 @ 11:06
be a real hypebeast and get some reflective deep v's
Jun 19, 2008 @ 18:54
Yeah that's rediculous. I've seen new, powdercoated DP18s w/ surly hubs for $125 on eBay. $250 is crazy
Jun 20, 2008 @ 01:39
im getting tired of cruising around on my skateboard. any good names to throw out there for recommendations on a fixie? I look on craigslist and see stuff, but none of em for those "below average" height people.. fuji has one, but if I can find one cheaper, then thats all it'll take to change my mind.
Jun 20, 2008 @ 09:25
^^Well what model is it? All I know is that cannondale tends to make excellent bikes, they're one of the best American bike makers. And btw that photo has two sets of brakes so it's a single gear not a fixed.
Jun 20, 2008 @ 13:22
No mah dude, it has a flip-flop hub. I dunno if you're familiar, but you can flip the rear wheel over and change from free to fixed. So it can be ridden fixed or free. Haha Cam i have the same problem, I ride a 62cm and it's barely big enough. You should look at the Schwinn Madison...you can get one for around $400 (well, I don't know about in Portland...) and of all the completes it has arguably the best components.
Jun 20, 2008 @ 18:38
my uncle has a fixie in his backyard. i'm gonna start riding it since i'm sick of this crappy mountain bike i got

Inactive User

Jun 20, 2008 @ 23:32
^^^ lol I have the opposite problem. I finally found a 63 cm tonight.

Anyone have any homies with one of these? Good/bad? I heard it has shit components...

I have never liked anything Cannondale, but that's just me.
Jun 21, 2008 @ 01:17
Oh, I didn't look at the measurements. And Schwinn also has the whack XS/S/M/L/XL sizing too. I don't know about the sizing of either of these but you should look at the KHS Flite 100, the IRO Mark V (or you can build your own), or the Mercier Kilo TT.

Edit: The IRO comes in a 62 max but it has a 59cm top tube.

Edit Edit: The XL Madison has a 59 top tube too...
Jun 21, 2008 @ 10:27
^Schwinn make crap bikes IMO, not to mention they're owned by Pacific last time I checked lol.

I doubt the Cannondale has crap parts, they're one of the best bike companies out there and have a stellar reputation. They always put out high end cycles and field great athletes at competitions not to mention aluminum frames wouldn't be where they are w/o Cannondale. I dunno about fixed but I've bought 2 Cannondale MTBs in my lifetime ( a Killer v500 and an F400) and both have been great; quality parts, light frames, etc. I ride quite technical trails with others and my bike is by far the least often to break down and my friends all have high end bikes as well (Gary Fishers, Treks, etc.).

Inactive User

Jun 21, 2008 @ 13:13
As far as complete bikes go, I would take a look at the Specialized fixed range, they have some good bikes.

if you can afford it go for the S works frameset and build with parts you want.
I don't want owensA to take this the wrong way, but I disagree and still think Cannondales make wack bikes, particularly MTBs with the mono forks, and stupid geometry.. all just to be different... and I have seen more then 1 break, They do have good marketing tho, I give them that as most newbies would choose a Cannondale. And I wouldn't call Gary Fishers, Treks "Hi End" either! To be honest, I don't think you can get a Hi End complete bike!
Most of the "Hi End Bikes" are sold as framesets only and you build from ground up.

PS. for a fixed gear you cannot beat a lugged steel frame with say Reynolds or Columbus Tubing.
Jun 21, 2008 @ 14:48
My friend has the Specialized (the one that looks like a taxi) and when he got it three spokes were bent, and there was mad chain noise. Just FYI. I disagree with Owens as well haha, the Madison is oft argued to be the best entry-leveled fixed complete. I think Cannondales are solid as well though. And you could always get a Bianchi Pista, that's what I rode for awhile and loved it.
Jun 21, 2008 @ 14:50
^^
With any competition level bike you aren't gonna be riding with stock parts but Cannondales tend to come with solid components, primarily some of Shimano's better parts. There's a difference b/w what is considered a high end bike and a competition level bike though. When someone would come into the shop looking for a high end road bike you'd show em say a Trek Madone or something along those lines (look at Cannondale's Super Six and tell me that's not high-end, that bike is beautiful, if only I had more cash...) or a high end MTB (Trek elite 9.9) which certainly is not a low end (Pacific) or a mid level (Shwinn) bike. I know what you're saying though when people have stock parts and think they have the most amazing ride on the trail, buying your parts is more practical and a lot of fun.

When I worked at a shop the only repeat issue that comes to mind with Cannondale completes is occasional problems on a couple models with poor Shimano BBs but that's quite minor in the grand scheme of things. I worked at the shop for a couple years and with MTBers particularly, Dales prolly had the most repeat customers but I gotta admit we live in PA and they're assembled here and bikers generally tend to have a hometown bias when it comes to purchasing frames, parts and even accessories like messenger bags (same bias I have about Fuji bikes which I also ride happily, they're now based near me in Philly not Japan). And ya some people are suspicious of the lefty shocks (im assuming that's what you're referring to as the mono fork) but they really are great products with some big advantages and despite the odd look the net force is the same and they handle as well as conventional shocks (I've had to explain this to customers far too many times lol, it's hard to convince ppl b/c they look so odd and look like they'd exert force unevenly). Look at a fighter planes landing gear and some motorcycles and they often have a one fork set up btw, so Cannondale isn't exactly first when it comes to this. If you got a buddy who has a Dale with a lefty, try it I'll assure you you'll like it. It's not so much about style>substance, personally I think conventional shocks are more aesthetically pleasing. I prolly can't much change your mind but I figured I'd defend Cannondale and give a different viewpoint as most of our customers, myself included, always seemed content with their rides. Plus that lefty really is a decent product and you should at least put it into consideration despite it's unconventional looks.

I'd like to think bicycle preference is like music though and is quite subjective, everyone likes bikes for different reasons (stiffness, weight, shape, etc.) and most people have a bike that fits them better than others (all the more reason to cop a frame and build it yourself), so to each his own. All the internet opinion in the world doesn't mean much (my own included) and there's no better advice than to get to the shop and give her a test drive, you wouldn't buy a pair of jeans without trying them on right?

Cosign on Specialied btw, they make great bikes. I rode my ex-roommates Specialized rock hopper from time to time and despite being a few cm too small I still really enjoyed my rides on it. Plus our customers always seemed pleased with their Specialized purchases.

I disagree with Owens as well haha, the Madison is oft argued to be the best entry-leveled fixed complete. I think Cannondales are solid as well though. And you could always get a Bianchi Pista, that's what I rode for awhile and loved it.

And killypants, my fault I didn't take into consideration that you were considering an entry level, you may very well be right that Schwinn makes a decent entry level fixie but in the grand scheme of things Schwinn doesn't make stellar higher end products. Of course if you're looking to spend around $500 that's the market that Schwinn tends to target and o well in. If you're looking for a higher end bike and not an entry level, I'd personally steer clear of anything Schwinn, be it fixed, road, or MTB. That's just my 2 cents.

And btw your friends issue with the Specialized is almost certainly exceptional, just make sure he contacts em and gets the problem rectified, that's definitely not normal nor indicative of Specialized's overall quality.
Jun 21, 2008 @ 18:14
I fux with my fixie. Made from spare parts but it has a perfect cruising gear.
Jun 21, 2008 @ 19:38
^^if u got pics put em up, I love it when ppl make their bikes from scratch
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0