Ok so I just picked up two Levis 514's.
The first is a regular 514 Rigid wash. So far, it hasn't seemed to loose any of it's color, but I haven't washed it yet.
The second is a 514 Welder. I'm not sure what the difference is between the regular kind and the slightly more expensive Welder, other than that it comes in different washes and has different pockets in the back. I'm not sure if it's 'rigid' or not. Anyway, this one did have dye transfer. I let it soak in warm water and dried it, and now there isn't any more transferring.
So I have a few questions for both.
1) Will they keep losing dye each time I wash it? Or will the color only fade for the first wash, and keep its color for any future washes?
2) Will washing them make them loose their rigidness?
3) Will either of them shrink a lot after the first wash? I'm mostly worried about the regular rigid wash; like I said I'm not sure if the other is rigid.
4) If they do shrink on their first wash, will they continue to shrink even more for future washes?
1) Yes. They'll keep losing dye with every wash. Depends how much agitation is going on.
2) Yes. Washing will continue to soften the denim over time. After they dry they'll feel stiff, but they'll soften up quick.
3) Anything made of cotton is bound to shrink a little bit and stretch out a little. It's a constant give and take. If you want to minimize shrink use cold water when you wash and hang dry or dry on low.
4) Same answer as #3