Buying used car

Jul 10, 2010 @ 04:56
hey so tomorrow im bout to pick up this used car im buying from cl.

can i drive it normally like i would everyday or do i need to go to the dmv and get insurance on it as well?

im in california btw,
Jul 10, 2010 @ 17:35
hahahahaha mannnnnnnnnnnn......... How old are you?

Jul 10, 2010 @ 18:58
you just gonna drive it to ya crib and park it? if so, what i usually do is slap a tag on it from one of my other whips then get someone to follow me to the crib. i think here as long as you got the title and a bill of sale you can drive it home and park it without registering it. im not sure tho. i live in north carolina tho so it may differ.
Jul 11, 2010 @ 22:27
if a cop sees your car on the side of the street without reg, you might get a ticket.

unlikely, but if you have a garage it should be aight.

otherwise, you're gonna have to get one of those "non operational" permits or whatever they're called
bascically saying u have a car but it just sits around so u don't need to insure/register it.
Jul 11, 2010 @ 22:30
oh if you're gonna be driving it around town, then yes you need to register and insure it.
btw, if you can after you buy the car, ask the guy if he can put an amount on the transfer paper that is less than the amount you actually paid for it.

example, i paid 2500 for my car, and reported that i paid 1300.

this is so when u register, it will end up costing less. (still ended up costing me about 120 bucks tho).
Jul 12, 2010 @ 01:29
you have to have the car registered in order to drive it but as long as the tags are up to date for the current year/month you should be ok. when you do get it registered you normally have to have proof of insurance when you go to the DMV in order to register it.
Jul 12, 2010 @ 14:31
call your insurance company asap
get a card faxed over to you
Jul 29, 2010 @ 00:03
Get it insured quickly and have the registering of the car done too. I wouldn't risk getting fined for stupid stuff like having it on the street without documents.
Jul 30, 2010 @ 20:12
We drove a car back last year from Florida back to Chicago with illegal plates and no insurance. I wasn't driving, but my ex was so it was all on her yeeeeeeeee
Jul 30, 2010 @ 21:03
just dont drive like a crazy person and you will be fine.
Jul 30, 2010 @ 21:56
Ummmmmm... Used car? LOL
Please login first to reply.