You Can Buy Shares in an Andy Warhol Painting at a New Cryptocurrency Auction

A 49% stake in ‘14 Small Electric Chairs’ is available.

Arts
2,395 Hypes 1 Comments

The world’s first blockchain auction is currently underway, with the rights to 49% of Andy Warhol‘s 14 Small Electric Chairs (which you can see above) up for grabs. While the other 51% of the silkscreen work will still be owned by the current owner, Eleesa Dadiani, successful bidders will be rewarded with digital certificates of ownership.

Although the move may seem surprising, Dadiani and her gallery, Dadiani Fine Art, have previously sold works using cryptocurrency. Dadiani claims that this new form of auction will change the art market and open it up to new collectors. The painting in question is currently valued at $5.6 million USD — or 850 Bitcoin — and the shares in the painting will be available for purchase using Bitcoin, Ethereum (ETH) and a new aptly-titled cryptocurrency called ART.

In other art news, Anish Kapoor is suing the NRA.

Read Full Article
Source
Quartz
Image Credit
GIORGIO LOTTI/ARCHIVIO GIORGIO LOTTI/MONDADORI PORTFOLIO/GETTY IMAGES
More

What to Read Next

Raf Simons Ushers New Wave of Menswear Tailoring for SS19
Fashion

Raf Simons Ushers New Wave of Menswear Tailoring for SS19

Suits are the new hoodies.

Watch Kamasi Washington’s “Street Fighter Mas” Video
Music

Watch Kamasi Washington’s “Street Fighter Mas” Video

In search of a worthy opponent.

Siki Im Reveals Bali-Inspired Spring/Summer 2019 Collection
Fashion

Siki Im Reveals Bali-Inspired Spring/Summer 2019 Collection

Focusing on the dichotomy between sport and spiritualism.


Nike Poised to Give the Air Max 97/BW a General Release
Footwear

Nike Poised to Give the Air Max 97/BW a General Release

The hybrid silhouette steps out from Skepta’s shadow.

Diet Prada Traces the Origins of Off-White™'s "Crossed Arrows" Logo
Fashion

Diet Prada Traces the Origins of Off-White™'s "Crossed Arrows" Logo

Inspired by an iconic 1960s design.

Y/Project Revamps the Suit in Spring/Summer 2019 Collection
Fashion

Y/Project Revamps the Suit in Spring/Summer 2019 Collection

Glenn Martens showcases his version of the working man.

More ▾
 
Subscribe to our Newsletter

Receive the latest in Footwear, Fashion, Music and Creativity in our newsletters.

By Subscribing, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Help us serve you better

We appreciate your support in allowing HYPEBEAST ads, where we can share contents from the latest fashion, to those culturally relevant. In adding HYPEBEAST to your ad blocker's whitelist, ads on our sites will show while you continue to browse.