The Wiley Residence in New Canaan, Connecticut was originally designed by Philip Johnson in 1953. The marvelous mid-century modern house appeared like a glass pavilion cantilevered above a stone podium and included an adjacent pool and barn. This project by architects Roger Ferris + Partners renovated the house and barn for its new owner, adding a pool house and garage to create a synthesis of old and new among the lush foliage. The 19th century barn was turned into an art gallery, presenting a solid black contemporary counterpoint to Johnson’s glass house, while the pool house and garage recede into the hillside with a single exposed wall recalling the plinth of the original structure.
Join Our Discussions on Discord
The HYPEBEAST Discord Server is a community where conversations on cultural topics can be taken further.