Sign up for our newsletters
Receive the latest in Footwear, Fashion, Music and Creativity in our newsletters.
Attending a week-long event like South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas requires intensive organization and even a bigger dose of stamina. In order to facilitate your festival experience, we have compiled a list of some happenings throughout this year’s SXSW music segment that we deem relevant for our readership. Hence, read below and see what’s up for the coming few days. Also, be on the lookout for Hypetrak-exclusive reportings from Austin, Texas this week.
Tuesday, March 13
- XXL Texas Freshmen (featuring Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar, The Niceguys and more), 8:00PM to 1:50 PM, 1100 Warehouse
- Campfire Trails Presents (featuring Ume and more), 10:00PM -10:40PM, The Bat Bar
- Heard Entertainment/RootMusic Present (featuring Beach Fossils), 11:30PM -12:10AM, Club 606
- Stones Throw Presents (featuring Peanut Butter Wolf Homeboy Sandman, The Stepkids, MED and more), 8:00PM to 1:50 PM, Elysum
Wednesday, March 14
- 101x (featuring Kasabian, Blondfire, Tribes and more), 7:50PM to 1:50PM, 1100 Warehouse
- Innovative Leisure (featuring Hanni El Khatib, Nick Waterhouse, Feeding People and more), 10:00PM to 1:50AM, 512
- Pandora Discovery Den (featuring Theophilus London, Young Guru, Big K.R.I.T.), 8:00PM to 12:00AM, Antone’s
- Dummy XO (featuring Korallreven, d’Eon, CFCF), 7:30PM to 1:55AM, Barbarella
Thursday, March 15
- Moog/Switched On/Static Tongues (featuring Neon Indian, //TENSE//, Soft Metals and more), 7:30PM to 1:50AM Barbarella
- Surefire Agency (featuring Machinedrum, Slugabed , Noah D and more), 8:30PM to 1:50PM, Barcelona
- MassAppeal x Decon (featuring Mobb Deep, Raekwon, Curren$y), 7:00PM – 1:00AM, Kung Fu Saloon
Friday, March 16
- Biz 3 (featuring Skrillex, EL-P, The Cool Kids and more), 8:30PM to 2:00AM, 1100 Warehouse
- Madison House (featuring Thundercat, Talib Kweli, Paper Diamond and more), 8:00Pm to 1:50AM, Beauty Bar Backyard
Saturday, March 17
- Icee Hot vs. XLR8R (featuring Lazer Sword, Ghosts on Tape, Brenmar and more), 8:30PM to 2:00AM, Barcelona
- SXSW Music: FREE SHOW! (featuring Alpha Rev, JP, No), 8:00Pm to 1:50AM, Buffalo Billiards
The whole list of upcoming shows this week can be found here.
Radio Day Stage
The Radio Day Stage is the place to grab a drink, connect to free wi-fi, relax and enjoy performances by showcasing artists in between sitting in on panels and workshops. Located on the fourth floor of the Austin Convention Center in Ballroom D, registrants will be able to catch a few extra quality performances from artists that they might miss during packed nights of show hopping. We are partnering with the following radio stations to broadcast and assist in curating the showcases: KCRW, KUT, KEXP, WFUV, WXPN, Radionica and The Current. Expect acts like Honeyhoney, Father John Misty, Delta Spirit, Blitzen Trapper and many more to grace the stage. Find the full schedule here.
Ballroom Day Stage
The Ballroom G Day Stage is located on the fourth floor of the Austin Convention Center in, well, Ballroom G. Sit down, relax and enjoy a wide range of artistry and unique events. From a DJ battle hosted by Liveturntable.fm, to unique collaborative bills of showcasing artists, to comedy sets, the organizing idea behind the Ballroom G Day Stage is to offer “only at SXSW” events. If you need a break from the panels, or a respite from the Trade Show or Gear Expo, make it a point to check out Ballroom G’s wide array of unique shows. Find the full schedule here.
Second Play Stages
SXSW Second Play Stages are early evening shows hosted by select SXSW hotels during the Music Festival. These popular shows will return in 2012 at several SXSW official hotels and feature exclusively official SXSW 2012 showcasing artists playing a bonus show (in addition to their official SXSW Music Fest showcase). These stages will be free and open to all registrants and the public. Kick your evening off at one of the hotels listed below, grab a drink and check-out a Second Play Stage. Expect acts like Sofia Talvik, Three Blind Wolves and more to grace the stage. Find the full schedule here.
DMX Party Featuring Pandora for Business
Tuesday, March 13, 2:00PM – 6:00PM, Clive Bar
DMX is hosting its SXSW Party for the 2nd consecutive year with this year’s event featuring Pandora for Business. The Neoclassic Soul themed event presents live performances including one by The Stepkids (American psychedelic soul voted as one of the Best R&B albums of 2011 by Spin Magazine). Enjoy free drinks, mobile contests and live screen printing. To RSVP text DMXRSVP to 70626.
The Fader Fort
Wednesday to Saturday, March 14-17, 1:00PM – 8:00PM, Fader Fort
The FADER Fort happens yearly in Austin, showcasing celebrated innovators and emerging talents. The FADER has a 12-year history of predicting what’s next in music in culture, and over four days in March that prescience meets the present with a series of performances and DJ sets by the most vital (and soon to be vital) artists in the world.
Filter’s Showdown at Cedar St.
Thursday, March 15,11:00AM – 6:00PM, Friday, March 16, 11:00AM – 6:00PM, Saturday, March 17 11:00AM – 6:00PM, Cedar Street Courtyard
After 10 years at Cedar Street, Filter Magazine’s party is one of the must-see staples of SXSW. Doors open at 11:00 am each day, March 15-17, so come to enjoy the free BBQ and top indie acts. Please arrive early for entry.
Made in Israel
Friday, March 16, 11:00AM – 8:00PM, East Tent, Brush Square Park
i:Made in Israel presents the 2012 Tel Aviv Beach Party. Come get a true taste of the modern, creative and innovative side of Israel, with live music, cocktails and Tel Aviv Beach snacks all day long. Lounge under umbrellas, play a game of matkot and check out the diverse performance lineup that includes some of Israel’s best and brightest musical exports. For more info, follow us on Twitter @iMadeInIsrael.
Pandora Discovery Den
Wednesday, March 14, 12:30PM – 7:00PM, Antone’s
Discover music you’ll love at the Pandora Discovery Den (Wed-Fri). Featured artists will cross genres from Rock to Hip Hop. Afternoon shows followed by DJ-hosted Casino Happy Hour from 5-7 with daily drink specials and prizes. Check the schedule and RSVP at: pandora.com/PandoraATX, @pandora_radio, #PandoraATX. Admission granted for SXSW badges or advance RSVP.
- In case you have questions that only someone in the music business can answeror you feel the urge to discuss problems that you may be having with your career but you don’t have access to the right people, then we highly recommend Mentor Sessions http://sxsw.com/music/talks/mentor_sessions. This program is designed to give direct access to industry professionals who have agreed to share their time and experience with others through scheduled one-on-one meetings with the mentor of your choice.
- Returning for its third year as the exhibition for musicians and enthusiasts, The Music Gear Expo is a cornucopia of guitars, keyboards, amps, effects pedals, drums, mics, DJ equipment, mixing software, music education and more. Come try out the newest, coolest, cutting edge instruments, register for giveaways, meet the gear pros. Find the list of exhibitors here.