SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
March 6, 2006 @ 01:02 AM

Inactive

I missed buying the tiffany dunks and alot of other dunks because my local skateshop with an SB account is anti-shoe collectors and against anything and everything not skateboarding. I showed up the day of the tiffany release and they had a picture of the shoe on display and when i asked the guy if they had them he said "UMMMMMMMMM......." and asked his friend who then said "UMMMMMMMMMM...........No they havent come in yet" I knew they were lying cuz they had the shirts and the other releases from the month. I checked back everyday and they said they were still waiting to get them but that nike had told them to only sell them skaters who will skate in them and not collectors. I checked in until the end of them month and they said they still hadnt got them and that they probably get them next month cuz nike laying low with the drop since the shoe is hyped. One day when i checked back there was another guy at the store asking about the shoes too who already had a pair and just wanted another to have in his collection and the worker and the store said he should come in with his and just skate them up in front of all the collectors to make them mad and after he said that i told him i thought you guys didnt have the shoes and he said well we had them but were waiting to get more. This is not a big time Sb account and i know sometimes that Nike does 2 drops but i know this wasnt the case. They even post signs every month in place of the dunks that say WE HAVE NO DUNKS!!!!! before the shoe is even released. Does Nike ever tell accounts to not sell to certain peoples? Is there any way to file a complaint? Anybody else have this problem?
March 6, 2006 @ 01:05 AM
thisisourevenge

That is completely legit and I wish EVERY skateshop did that. THEY ARE SB SHOES. They aren't Nike Collectables. I know they arent being realistic releasing 150 dollar skating shoes, but people who actually skate and can afford them should be first in line no matter what. They should sell them to collectors afterwards.

edit: and by working in a skateshop that carries SB's, you do not know how many people call DAILY asking when we get the lunars, the hawaiis, the high hairs, what dunks we have in, when we get what, what we get, blahblahblah. Just come in, support your local shop if you expect us to support you when the shoes drop. Word.
March 6, 2006 @ 01:35 AM
Big Spartacus

Nike doesn't tell it's retailers to sell only to skaters. That'd be stupid. The point at the end of the day is still to make money. Having said that, it is at the discretion of the store owners, however, when and how they sell their shoes. If they feel that they should only sell to "real skaters" then that's them. You can try and contact nike and ask for your local rep if your really upset, but I don't know how well that will work. And no, I've never had that problem. And thisisourrevenge wasn't lying, it's almost sickening how many times people will call and ask the same questions.
March 6, 2006 @ 04:29 PM
madefix

What shop is this and where is it?
March 6, 2006 @ 04:37 PM

Inactive

I work in a skateshop with an SB account and in the area of a shop where an SB account was taken away for abuse of the shoe prices. Nike can watch shops to make sure theyre selling their shoes in a legit manner. But as far as only skaters being able to buy them thats ridiculous, thats like sayin u cant buy new balances unless ur gonna run everywhere.
March 6, 2006 @ 05:15 PM
Big Spartacus

P.S. I heard about a shop in Jersey where they'll give you $10 off your Dunks if you sucessfully complete a kick flip while wearing them before you buy them. Just thought about that
March 6, 2006 @ 06:48 PM

Inactive

Another question...

How many people who buy SB's actually skate? I mean, I'd never hit the park in my Hawaii's (I have some f'd up Etnies for that) but I see more and more people rocking SB's that probably can't even stand up on a board.

Kind of sad that people only go to these shops to buy these shoes, bad mouth the shops when they don't have it, and don't support them by buying anything else other than quickstrike/hyperstrike kicks.

And for the record, not ALL SB accounts get the good stuff. I've visited plenty of authorized dealers that can't get any of the really hard-to-find drops. How and why Nike distributes this way is still a mystery to me.
March 6, 2006 @ 07:18 PM
endemic

complaining about people who don't skate wearing SBs is like complaining about people who don't breakdance wearing superstars. it's a stupid unwritten law that shouldn't be followed. did you guys forget that dunks were originally BASKETBALL shoes? they are just shoes after all and people need to relax.
March 6, 2006 @ 07:38 PM

Inactive

complaining about people who don't skate wearing SBs is like complaining about people who don't breakdance wearing superstars. it's a stupid unwritten law that shouldn't be followed. did you guys forget that dunks were originally BASKETBALL shoes? they are just shoes after all and people need to relax.

You got me all wrong (if you are replying to my post). I'm just saying that it sucks that these shoe hounds go to these shops only looking for one thing and not supporting their local skateshops with other purchases because their not into the sport.

Nike is specifically targeting the underground skating community for a certain reason. I don't know anyone who would actually skate in a quickstrike but it kind of looses its whole appeal when it goes to people who don't even support the lifestyle.

I got into the game through a friend who collects SB's but can't skate a lick. It wasn't my intention to start a flaming war, I'm just bringing up a topic for public discussion.
March 6, 2006 @ 08:17 PM

Inactive

i heard only rodney mullen is allowed to buy SB's but he doesn't even want to...

do any of you guys smoke crack? i enjoy a good hit every now and then and MY local skate shop will only sell you overpriced sneakers if you smoke crack, strangle a baby, darkslide a fire hose, and complete the algorithm in the movie good will hunting.

all the skaters i know rock es, etnies and DC's... a few even enjoy a good ipath once and awhile... any shop that refuses to sell to some one is refuseing to make money.. so then they are not a shop.. they are a "free" and they should sponsor everyone.... "hey travis, lets go hit the free and get a new complete set up"
March 6, 2006 @ 10:30 PM
dunksdunksdunks

yea alot of stores r like tht. i dont really like some customer service. pretty bad
March 6, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

Inactive

Well i understand where those of you working at skateshops have a problem with people just going to skateshops the day of releases cuz i agree that is kind of messed up. At the shop i go to i have seen guys go straight to the counters asking for dunks and if they dont have them they walk straight out not even staying in the store more than a minute. The problem i guess that i really had is that i support my local skateshop because i buy shoes that arent even hot like fc's zoom air angus and team ediitions just cuz i like how the shoes look and they are comfortable and then they wanted to discriminate against me when i want to buy some dunks that i like cuz i dont skate:confused: They have no problems selling you all the other shoes just the dunks:thumbsdown: plus im not a psycho caller i actually take the time to go to the store look around and buy what i want even when its not a release day and if thats not support cuz i dont skate i dont know what is? And i know everyone says SB's are not collectables and should be for skaters but i remember when i registered for Nikeskateboarding they asked the questions are you a skater? Or are you a dunkhead? So obviously even nike knows they are for collectors too and not just skaters. De La Soul is a hip hop group that has nothing to do with skateboarding and they made a dunk for sb's so does that mean you should listen to de la soul and skate otherwise dont buy the shoes:confused: And if you guys remember when the Huf trainers came out the nike website said the shoe king of San Fran is also a pro skater. So it seems like people just discriminate cuz they can and they really dont have a good reason. Saying sb's are only for skaters is a lost casue and makes no sense cuz the shoes are for everyone. Oh and the shop i go to is United Boardshop in Bellflower, Ca.
March 6, 2006 @ 10:49 PM

Inactive

if you skate your SB's your get them for retail price..which is what 65..
March 6, 2006 @ 11:03 PM

Inactive

You got me all wrong (if you are replying to my post). I'm just saying that it sucks that these shoe hounds go to these shops only looking for one thing and not supporting their local skateshops with other purchases because their not into the sport.

Nike is specifically targeting the underground skating community for a certain reason. I don't know anyone who would actually skate in a quickstrike but it kind of looses its whole appeal when it goes to people who don't even support the lifestyle.

I got into the game through a friend who collects SB's but can't skate a lick. It wasn't my intention to start a flaming war, I'm just bringing up a topic for public discussion.

SB's arent only sold at skateshops. They are also sold at places such as UNION, Undefeated supreme......etc all which have nothing to do with skateboarding but everything to do with originality and exclusivity. So i dont think nike is just targeting skateboarders cuz otherwise only skateshops would have them. Just more ways to discriminate:thumbsdown:
March 6, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

Inactive

SB's arent only sold at skateshops. They are also sold at places such as UNION, Undefeated supreme......etc all which have nothing to do with skateboarding but everything to do with originality and exclusivity. So i dont think nike is just targeting skateboarders cuz otherwise only skateshops would have them. Just more ways to discriminate:thumbsdown:

Sorry to burst your bubble but SB's (short for SKATEBOARDING) are only sold to actual skateshops - Supreme is one. Undefeated doesn't carry SB but you can walk a block down to Union who has an SB account. How Union got the account from Nike is still a mystery but they are the only non-skateshop that actually carries the SB line. Like another member posted, it's funny how Union has some guy doing a kickflip in their logo when you can't even buy a skateboard there (go figure).

I think the underground and artistic nature of skateboarding is why Nike chose this lifestyle to market to. Not having to conform and being able to express yourself freely is one of the main draws in my opinion.

But yah, Nike puts their very exclusive line in very exclusive skateshops for a very specific reason. It's really up to the owners on how they want to sell the product and who they want to sell the product to. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed if I heard a store owner question my ability to skate or if I had love for the sport (which I do) but as the sign says "we reserve the right to deny service to anyone"
March 6, 2006 @ 11:38 PM

Inactive

Sorry to burst your bubble but SB's (short for SKATEBOARDING) are only sold to actual skateshops - Supreme is one. Undefeated doesn't carry SB but you can walk a block down to Union who has an SB account. How Union got the account from Nike is still a mystery but they are the only non-skateshop that actually carries the SB line. Like another member posted, it's funny how Union has some guy doing a kickflip in their logo when you can't even buy a skateboard there (go figure).

I think the underground and artistic nature of skateboarding is why Nike chose this lifestyle to market to. Not having to conform and being able to express yourself freely is one of the main draws in my opinion.

But yah, Nike puts their very exclusive line in very exclusive skateshops for a very specific reason. It's really up to the owners on how they want to sell the product and who they want to sell the product to. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed if I heard a store owner question my ability to skate or if I had love for the sport (which I do) but as the sign says "we reserve the right to deny service to anyone"

Lol i posted that response about the UNION logo on another blog.......:rofl: And i know they can refuse service to anyone but im still saying that it aint right to hold shoes back from people who dont skate cuz dunks were regular shoes and basketball shoes before they made them into SB's. Sb's come out in editions that have nothing to do with skateboarding and then they wanna say they for skaters:confused: SB's really have nothing to do with skating besides the insoles. Skateshops carry better looking dunks than other pleaces and you wanna tell me that it has to do with the lifestyle of skaters. Some Sb's releases deal with skating so what do the de la soul dunks, aveneger dunks, and hawaii dunks have to do with skateboarding?:confused:
March 7, 2006 @ 12:33 AM

Inactive

Its about time to end this saying that "SB's should be for skaters 1st" cuz i forgot there is one shoe that skaters cant explain as part of their culture and style and thats the P-rod X Jordan collaboration. Jordan has nothing to do with skating and there is no way that it can be justified as being part of the whole skating persona cuz it was made for p-rod for the x games cuz he has big love for jordan and his shoes.The j-rod is definilty collectible cuz there are only 500 pairs in the world it was not a average release. P-rod himself said he skates in j's and af1's and is a big fan of J's so everyone should stop discriminating about who should buy what cuz shoes are shoesrazz
March 7, 2006 @ 02:40 AM

Inactive

You might wanna go to the link below before you say things like that if you really wanna make a complaint here is Nike main number 1-770-740-1950.

www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/features/article/0,21214,1089248,00.html
March 7, 2006 @ 05:06 AM
Tiffany Chan

i hate nike sb

but adore to show it off
March 7, 2006 @ 05:28 AM
Battousai-Kicks

P.S. I heard about a shop in Jersey where they'll give you $10 off your Dunks if you sucessfully complete a kick flip while wearing them before you buy them. Just thought about that

Yeah Slam City in London gives you 5 pounds back if you pull off a kick flip wearing the shoes you bought.
March 7, 2006 @ 05:34 AM

Inactive

It's not about the shops or the accounts. In the end all that motivates is money. Nike is driven to make money and that's exactly what they're going to do. and if that means upping the exclusivity on their SB shoes to hype up the demand then that's what they'll do.

That said I've heard that SBs aren't terribly good for skateboarding to begin with....
March 7, 2006 @ 07:10 AM
rev909

I think it's ridiculous to sell sb's only for skateboarders. I used to skate too, and had a pair of sb dunks just to walk in. Not for skating. Customers are allowed to do with the shoes whatever they want. If they're skating on them; fine. If they eat them for breakfast; fine. Who gives a shit? It's just more money for the shopowner.
And perform tricks just to get discount is also too stupid for words!
After all, YOU buy the shoe, so it's yours, and a shopowner cannot oblige anybody to skate on them!
March 7, 2006 @ 10:56 AM
Jonny

werd its getting bad man i had to pull off a between the legs dunk before i got to buy the lebrons.
March 7, 2006 @ 11:44 AM

Inactive

Sorry to break it to you sprintr6, but there are A LOT of NON SKATE BOARD releated shops that sell QS and HS nike dunk sb's over here in HK and other places around the world...

So your comment about only skate shops carrying Exclusive kicks is not always true!!!:warn:

I was speaking about the good ol US of A. I don't live in Asia although I've been there quite often.

How Nike distributes their goods overseas is really no concern of mine. I saw plenty of shops in Tokyo and Hong Kong with SB's on display but I can assure you that the shoe shed in Harajuku with one roll up door and a small wall of shoes behind it is not listed on the Nike SB site.

Meaning? Anyone can grey market items in. How does Grey One carry BAPE Sta's? Obviously they send someone over to Japan to cop and they probably hand carry everything back or have it shipped. They are not AUTHORIZED to carry BAPE is what I'm trying to get at.

Before you shake your finger at me, keep this in mind. I called Nike one day trying to locate a hoody. The rep said even she had to go to her nearest skate shop to cop her pair of P-Rods. If Nike employees can't even cop SB gear, Nike must be pretty damn strict don't ya think?

Does Nike aim to keep their SB line exclusive? You're god damn right they do. Word on the street is that you must have a B&M (brick and mortar) establishment and have been in business for over a year to even qualify for an account. This slightly decreases the amount of vendors looking to open up just to make a few bucks off their highly sought after products.

Fact of the matter is that Nike is the largest shoe manufacturer in the world period point blank. If they really wanted to make a killing on these QS/HS shoes wouldn't they just make 30k instead of 3k of a certain model and sell it to every Nike dealer in the nation?

Instead of assuming or guessing, why doesn't someone here call Nike SB to ask them exactly why they market and distribute their goods only to skateboarding shops?

Are these shoes made for skateboarding? I'd say so. They have Zoom Air in the heel, padded tongues with holders to keep them from moving (first seen in other skate shoes), and there is way more cushioning inside the shoe compared to a regular Dunk. Their Dunks have been redesigned just for this fact so for everyone saying the Dunk is a basketball shoe, yes, you are right, but there are major changes with a normal Dunk and an SB Dunk that make a world of difference.

Fact: SB stands for SKATEBOARDING
Fact: Nike only allows authorized skate shops to distribute their SB line (in the US)
Fact: SB shoes come in different packaging to distinguish from a normal release
Fact: Nike SB has their own SKATEBOARDING website (which is also listed on the box)
Fact: Anyone, skater or not, should be able to buy any of these items.

Unless you're uber wealthy I can't see anyone ripping up 150+ shoe skating but hey, to each is own.

Personally out of all the shoes in the SB line, I favor the Teams to skate in. The front portion of the shoe is wider than normal, it has a lot of cushioning, and there is a bit more material reinforcement near the small toe for ollies and what not. Still, I choose to skate in my f'd up Etnies that I bought for buy-one-get-one-free at my local outlet. LOL.
March 7, 2006 @ 12:17 PM

Inactive

if you skate your SB's your get them for retail price..which is what 65..

No you wont, cuz I was gonna buy Patent Leather Avengers at NJ Skateshop and I offfered to do a kickflip or whatever they wanted in them if they'd bring down the price and they wouldnt... My only complaint is how resellers ruin SBs by driving up the prices and buyin them in bulk from skateshops. Its F*UCKED UP. I've seen it first hand, and its the reason I couldnt get Hawaiis. So if you wanna complain about anything when it comes to SBs, complain about greedy skateshop owners and the resellers.
March 7, 2006 @ 12:49 PM

Inactive

This thread has lost its point:thumbsdown: My whole reason for starting this topic was to find out if there are any regulations that shops can set up to keep people from buying dunks and if anyone else has had a problem such as mine. The skaters in this thread turned it into shoe collectors disrespecting them cuz we want to buy dunks and trying to justify how the shoes should be for them only cuz they are made for skating, yet hardly any skaters will skate in them. PLus going back to my point about the j-rod still no one has explained to me how that is related to skating. Jordan on a skating shoe????????:confused:Dunk sb's hardly have anything to do with skating except for the way shoe is constructed with a fat tongue and different in soles. Look at the releases.....De la soul, avengers, j rods, hawaii's , lunars, high hair.........etc they have nothing to do with skating and even if nike or whoever says they are supposed to be completely devoted to skating its a lie cuz they just trying to sell that idea to skaters to get them to buy the shoes cuz they already got us collectors hooked anyways. Like i keep saying SHOES ARE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!
March 7, 2006 @ 01:13 PM

Inactive

This thread has lost its point:thumbsdown: My whole reason for starting this topic was to find out if there are any regulations that shops can set up to keep people from buying dunks and if anyone else has had a problem such as mine. The skaters in this thread turned it into shoe collectors disrespecting them cuz we want to buy dunks and trying to justify how the shoes should be for them only cuz they are made for skating, yet hardly any skaters will skate in them. PLus going back to my point about the j-rod still no one has explained to me how that is related to skating. Jordan on a skating shoe????????:confused:Dunk sb's hardly have anything to do with skating except for the way shoe is constructed with a fat tongue and different in soles. Look at the releases.....De la soul, avengers, j rods, hawaii's , lunars, high hair.........etc they have nothing to do with skating and even if nike or whoever says they are supposed to be completely devoted to skating its a lie cuz they just trying to sell that idea to skaters to get them to buy the shoes cuz they already got us collectors hooked anyways. Like i keep saying SHOES ARE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Shoes are for everyone, you got that right. The "J-rod" well that was a Tinker thing, and you know all about him and his exploits with the jordan brand. I dont think it proves that that particular shoe wasnt meant to be skated. As for the whole like "artist series" thing (or whatever you wanna call it) where you mentioned a few dunks... well a lot of brands do that. DC and Vans have been doing that for a long time and those are skate shoes as well... but when it all comes down to it. Yeah, anyone can walk into any store with any purpose in mind and buy a pair of shoes regardless of what they were "designed" for.
March 7, 2006 @ 01:39 PM

Inactive

Shoes are for everyone, you got that right. The "J-rod" well that was a Tinker thing, and you know all about him and his exploits with the jordan brand. I dont think it proves that that particular shoe wasnt meant to be skated. As for the whole like "artist series" thing (or whatever you wanna call it) where you mentioned a few dunks... well a lot of brands do that. DC and Vans have been doing that for a long time and those are skate shoes as well... but when it all comes down to it. Yeah, anyone can walk into any store with any purpose in mind and buy a pair of shoes regardless of what they were "designed" for.

Agreed and yes, shoes are for EVERYONE.

Also my point is that SB's ARE made for skating. Obviously some limited models will never see griptape and I'm not saying that people who skate should have priority over a regular collector but the term SB is short for SKATEBOARDING.

For the J-Rod thing, P-Rod is a huge Jordan fan and being able to do a collaboration with his idol is dope in my opinion. Jordan is bigger than just basketball and as far as I know of, this is the only shoe that has had the signature Jordan logo on a non-Jordan shoe. Is P-Rod a skater? Yes he is. Does he skate in his Nike SB's? Yes he does.

Avengers, Diamonds, De La Souls, and all the other quickstrike releases are still based on a skate version of the Dunk. Yes, collectors will be purchasing these items and not skaters looking to thrash them but to say these aren't skateable isn't realistic considering the foundation they were based off of.

Bape2186 you keep saying that these shoes aren't for skating and I'm just saying that yes, I think the SB's are made and designed to be skated in. That's all I'm getting at.

This wasn't meant to turn into skaters against collectors but I just can't understand how anyone could say that SB's aren't made for skateboarding. It just makes no sense to me... I mean just take a look at what the initials SB stand for.
March 7, 2006 @ 02:53 PM
Liquid Swords

Shut it down.
March 7, 2006 @ 03:24 PM

Inactive

Agreed and yes, shoes are for EVERYONE.

Also my point is that SB's ARE made for skating. Obviously some limited models will never see griptape and I'm not saying that people who skate should have priority over a regular collector but the term SB is short for SKATEBOARDING.

For the J-Rod thing, P-Rod is a huge Jordan fan and being able to do a collaboration with his idol is dope in my opinion. Jordan is bigger than just basketball and as far as I know of, this is the only shoe that has had the signature Jordan logo on a non-Jordan shoe. Is P-Rod a skater? Yes he is. Does he skate in his Nike SB's? Yes he does.

Avengers, Diamonds, De La Souls, and all the other quickstrike releases are still based on a skate version of the Dunk. Yes, collectors will be purchasing these items and not skaters looking to thrash them but to say these aren't skateable isn't realistic considering the foundation they were based off of.

Bape2186 you keep saying that these shoes aren't for skating and I'm just saying that yes, I think the SB's are made and designed to be skated in. That's all I'm getting at.

This wasn't meant to turn into skaters against collectors but I just can't understand how anyone could say that SB's aren't made for skateboarding. It just makes no sense to me... I mean just take a look at what the initials SB stand for.

I dont think i said the shoes arent for skateboarding or at least i hope i didnt through all this cuz i know sb stands for skateboarding but im talking about the releases that they come out with have nothing to really do with skating. I kept making reference as to how sb's are just dunks reconstructed for skating not saying that sb's arent not meant to be used for skating. I never said sb's arent made for skating:warn: Oh and the J-rod collabo point doesnt really make sense. The point just cuz p-rod skates and is on team nike and does a collabo with jordan justifies the J-rod as being part of the skate persona and culture:confused: . Jordan is bigger than basketball i agree but he doesn't even come close to crossing into skating if anything the jordan brand would extend into hip hop music. Sb's are for skating!!!!!! i dont think i ever said they werent im talking about the style and culture of skating doesnt fit in with the sb all the time(LIKE THE J-ROD) Dont get me wrong and make me sound like im talking about other things.

:hmmm: AND I AGREE PLEASE MODERATER CLOSE THE THREAD IT LOST ITS POINT LONG TIME AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.