FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
January 29, 2009 @ 10:23 AM
db2

I'm curious to here from HB people about what you think the going rate of design is per shirt to the average streetwear company. Lets say a company like 3sixteen or Rogue Status, what do you think they pay their designers per tee?

I'm going to be interviewing several people in the industry shortly so I'll here some of their answers, but I'd like to hear from anyone here who may have an idea as well.

Any input is appreciated!
January 29, 2009 @ 11:11 AM
Allurre

What they pay their designers vary.. it all depends on WHO the designer is.. and what deal they break with.

Costs in this industry is never fixed. It's a constant flux.
January 29, 2009 @ 12:15 PM
db2

I hear you, we have a couple of designers who are more established and who set their own rates. I was more curious, for local talent, friends and associates who are graphic designers but not necessarily commanding their own rates yet, what a fair price would be for a shirt design. I've heard 250-300 thrown around but I've also heard higher. These are people closer to us that are working with us because of relationships but I'm trying to get a better feel for what a fair price would be. I know its hard to say because its likely based on how many units are being moved, but any information and/or opinions would be helpful.
January 29, 2009 @ 12:29 PM
db2

Some people have also said 2,500, so I'm getting responses all over the board right now.
January 29, 2009 @ 04:18 PM
kyoru

I was asking around, one designer asked for $1000 that includes designin + licensing.
January 29, 2009 @ 04:23 PM
flik

the lowest i ever sell a design for is 180$, normaly my prices run from 200-500$
January 29, 2009 @ 05:46 PM
Brain_Girl

I know friends in the freelancing business who charge
January 29, 2009 @ 07:04 PM
dinoXSKETCHPAD

In my opinion, it's the intracy of the work a designer's hired to do.

And I don't think companies like Rogue Status, 3Sixteen, etc. pay their designers per tee-design. They actually hire a creative team to work with them..in other words, they're being paid as in-house designers.
January 30, 2009 @ 05:21 PM
Brain_Girl

Dino - I agree with you.. tee companys don't hire freelancers because it would simply cost too much.
February 22, 2009 @ 08:50 AM
ARDT

it can range from US$150 to US$5000 depending on the artist's experience, demand for that particular artist and how big a company you are.
February 22, 2009 @ 09:40 AM
unvrsl

considering most streetwear companies have their own in-house designer, the answers you get will be skewed. the designer might get a salary, they might get a per-shirt or per-illustration commission, they might get stakes in the company, they might be the owner of the company, there's no one clear answer that translates across the board.

where are you guys getting your figures and estimates from? $5000 for the design of one T-shirt? You are nuts. Nobody is paying anybody that per design. You guys obviously don't design if that's what you estimate a designer to be earning for one illustration. Seriously though.
February 22, 2009 @ 10:29 AM
ARDT

I think for H & M collab with Stella McCartney etc , she probably got more than $5k, likewise for artist collabs with big time labels like Nike, Adidas, Puma etc to quote a few collabs. I think these artist have the right to charge their clients $5k or more for their design since they are going to be produced in big numbers and sold worldwide.
February 22, 2009 @ 01:27 PM
unvrsl

my bad. I thought we were talking streetwear brands. typically I don't believe Nike, Puma, and H&M are considered streetwear brands, although they both have an influence on the streetwear market or a vested interest in the culture.

typically streetwear brands (other than LRG, Ecko etc.) are perceived to be brands that might have a global reach but aren't a mainstream manufactured brand. of course if designing for Nike, H&M, other corporate lines you are going to be able to demand in the range of $5K plus. but that is kind of skewing the argument as the thread starter specifically inquired about 'the average streetwear company' with an example given like Rogue Status... certainly nowhere in the ballpark of Nike.
February 22, 2009 @ 02:32 PM
PCKPR

Subcontract work
I think most companies rarely have people in house unless they're big like NIKE.

Streetwear companies usually charge from 2-1000 per piece and it does depend on how complex it is. But i guess if it's a well known designer it might be more.

Incubus once paid us 800 just for a picture of this painting we did so they could flip it and put on a shirt.
February 22, 2009 @ 06:47 PM
newnew816

That is one cool projection clock!
That is one cool projection clock!

This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.
February 22, 2009 @ 11:36 PM
UCArts

I charge from $80 to $150. I would charge more but people are real tight at the moment.
February 23, 2009 @ 01:16 AM
ARDT

my bad. I thought we were talking streetwear brands. typically I don't believe Nike, Puma, and H&M are considered streetwear brands, although they both have an influence on the streetwear market or a vested interest in the culture.

typically streetwear brands (other than LRG, Ecko etc.) are perceived to be brands that might have a global reach but aren't a mainstream manufactured brand. of course if designing for Nike, H&M, other corporate lines you are going to be able to demand in the range of $5K plus. but that is kind of skewing the argument as the thread starter specifically inquired about 'the average streetwear company' with an example given like Rogue Status... certainly nowhere in the ballpark of Nike.

It's my bad too, the threadstarter was talking about streetwear brands, but i think for stussy, beautiful decay kind of artists, i think they probably pay more than $500 US per design.
February 23, 2009 @ 01:18 AM
ARDT

I charge from $80 to $150. I would charge more but people are real tight at the moment.

you are right about it, that's alot of designer out there clamouring for jobs and driving rates down. You gotta be really good at what you do and be competitive.
February 23, 2009 @ 01:27 AM
vicky39

there are some of company pay artist by commission like give them persent for each month, but i think that's too complex about the moneysad so i prefer each design better LOL
February 24, 2009 @ 07:49 AM
TheGoodieBag

Some designers have also been known to charge a fee based on shirt sales, basically a royalty on sales. As it's been said it all depends on the experience and who the designer is. Most freelancers are very expensive if you are an emerging company, it might be best to do it yourself, or get someone who's close to you that will do it affordably.
February 24, 2009 @ 10:49 AM
Suedehead

It all varies.....Just depends on the company.
And in my opinion you just dont really talk about it....It's business between you and the company you are designing for, And should stay that way....Because in reality you dont know if they hire some new kid and hook him down with only half the money they would have given you....Dont wanna go causing drama like that.

Please login first to reply.