Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
May 17, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
Kick Rocks

The reason I ask is that I am finding it hard to find anything else but tees with girls, guns or cliches like (hip hop is dead) on them when I shop. I really try and support brands (whether established or HypeBeast) that take a different direction, but why aren't there more labels doing this? I know that selling out and making quick money plays a huge part of this.

I have even had a store tell me (and I quote): "Your designs are hot, but young kids don't want to think that hard." WHAT... he basically is saying dumb down my designs. But overseas like Japan it is the complete opposite. They want the back story or meaning behind a design. I'm not venting or mad (so don't go there), but I find it sad that streetwear in the US can't be more than it is! Throw in your 2 cents....
May 17, 2008 @ 12:10 PM
I CAME FROM NOTHING

yeah dude my new stuff is gonna be so far way from the brands you see everyday.

www.creativedirectory101.com
May 17, 2008 @ 12:36 PM
RecruitZero

i had the same thing happen to me as I was shopping my summer line man, so I definitely understand where your coming from. It seems that even if the store owner wants to have apparel with meaning behind it, they have to stock what sells. So they pass on good, meaningful design for superficial designs that sell. It's something that is going to have to be accepted until the consumer decides to elevate what they choose to clothe themselves with. But don't compromise your ideas for that though, you may not sell as much, but at least you will keep your brand integrity intact. If your designs are good, someone will buy them.
May 17, 2008 @ 01:27 PM
Vezflow

def

Manhattan Motives

May 17, 2008 @ 04:54 PM
Kick Rocks

I'm so glad that I am not the only one with this problem (I was getting my flame suit ready). I don't think that customers are going to suddenly elevate their minds. We are going to have to stay with it until we get more exposure which can be a very long time (look how long it took people to discover streetwear).

People are looking for "our kind" of designs, but they are few compared to the large amounts of customers out there. I'm all for hot designs, but ALL of streetwear is not being represented right now in stores! I get all kinds of hits to my site, but I know that if I had "cliche" designs I would have a much bigger customer base. Just look at all the recycled designs on Kazbah (or even here on HB). I challenge you to find a few positive or socialy conscience on there! Just my 2cents
May 17, 2008 @ 07:50 PM
xxxchrisngoxxx

It's sad to say but it is true, buyers will only buy what they know will sell. Brands that a buyer will like won't appeal to the mass. It's sad but the truth is this, if your tshirts have the magical equation ( girls, guns, boomboxes and cliche terms) the buyers whether or not they like it they can tell if it will move or not. Being left field and designing with meaning is what I'm about and what I personally like but in this shitty US economy buyers that I work with don't want to take chances with stuff they don't think will move because the normal consumer that just walks into the store and picks up a tshirt doesn't know better.

Japan itself is a different story the buyers that I deal with over there are also into the magical equation I was talking about but they are a lot more open to picking up new brands bc japan is really open with the streetwear scene out there and they are always looking for what's next.
May 17, 2008 @ 08:06 PM
Transplat

What would you rather see?

If you wanna change things, stop complaining about it on the internet and go out there and do it yourself. I'm not sure what you'd want to see out there, but if you think there need to be more streetwear t-shirts with, let's say, Kitchen utensils on them, then try it out. And see how many stores will pick it up. And see how many other kids want to spend $30 on a t-shirt with a fat fork on it.

Supply and Demand
May 17, 2008 @ 08:08 PM
Transplat

Japan itself is a different story the buyers that I deal with over there are also into the magical equation I was talking about but they are a lot more open to picking up new brands bc japan is really open with the streetwear scene out there and they are always looking for what's next.

I'd agree with you for the most part. But remember that Japan is the same place where the biggest domestic streetwear lines are KIKS TYO, Phenomenon and the other brand that's the same owner as Phenomenon. And there aren't any other brands that get as derivative as that with their graphics and themes (Naked girls holding sneakers!confused
May 17, 2008 @ 08:23 PM
I CAME FROM NOTHING

KIKS TYO

is some nasty cliche crap.

we can all do better than that.
May 17, 2008 @ 10:59 PM
dare2dream

Thats exactly why we started Dare2Dream, sick of seeing the same stuff with no meaning but a basic print with their name splashed over the front!!

Im sure it wont be long before the consumer and the buyers start to change what they want, and I agree with Chris, Japan and the Asian markets are way ahead when it comes to why they buy gear, not to just follow everyone else but to buy what they connect with.

Maybe thats why Asians are considered more intelligent,hahasmile
May 18, 2008 @ 06:38 AM
Kick Rocks

^^Transplat, if you noticed almost everyone who has commented has designs or an entire label devoted to forward thinking, myself included. What I am taking about comes from personal experience. We are TRYING IT!

I often discuss this topic with other like minded people and brands. Alot of them are like me small and relatively new (about 2-5 years in the game). One suggestion that I have is for us to network. Meaning that if one of us gets in we help others to get in as well. This won't hurt your money at all because as our scene gets grows (and it will) the more all of us will sell. It's a win-win situation. If I get into a store, I am more that willing to help others out.

The biggest problem that I am having is finding the forward thinking audience. It's hard to market and target an audience when you don't know where to find them!? Any thoughts on this fellas?
May 18, 2008 @ 08:09 AM
CNNeffect

I'd agree with you for the most part. But remember that Japan is the same place where the biggest domestic streetwear lines are KIKS TYO, Phenomenon and the other brand that's the same owner as Phenomenon.

Oh yeah coz Bathing Ape, Neighborhood, w)taps, Visvim, Head Porter Plus and GoodEnough aren`t as big as KIKS TYO and Phenomenon. They can only dream of being that huge. :lol:
May 18, 2008 @ 12:58 PM
HB ruin mylife

thats why you design some cliche designs along with your regular meaniful bullshit lineup..so that they buy your cliche one and come and check out the other ones..... people been doin that for years, especially the music industry,,,put some club bangers on your album along wit some shit that mean somethin to you.
May 18, 2008 @ 01:34 PM
Kick Rocks

thats why you design some cliche designs along with your regular meaniful bullshit lineup..so that they buy your cliche one and come and check out the other ones..... people been doin that for years, especially the music industry,,,put some club bangers on your album along wit some shit that mean somethin to you.

^^Bad analogy. Since you used music, so if I were a social conscience rapper I should put a song about gangbangin' on my album so people would listen to it? Come on... But you did bring up a point though.

The music industry is having the same problem we are having in clothing, if not worse! There is almost little to no room for anything different because the major companies are basically not allowing it. So there are your Lupe, Common and Mos (to name a few), but they make up a very small percentage of the market. There should be ALOT more than that!

Anyway, back to my previous question, where can we find the types of customer that are into what we design? I think we'll all benefit from this info.
May 18, 2008 @ 03:37 PM
@KRAEZYClothing

Well
For a true lable to be streetwear it has to have grassroots in the streets like graff( Eric Haze) skate( stussy) ect. There are million and one labels claiming to be streeetwear which clearly arnt. For me personally its mearly just another platform to get my name and style across the globe. Its like a walking tag!!!!!

CREATIVE HUSTLERS TRADING PLACES

May 18, 2008 @ 08:08 PM
Kick Rocks

For a true lable to be streetwear it has to have grassroots in the streets like graff( Eric Haze) skate( stussy) ect. There are million and one labels claiming to be streeetwear which clearly arnt. For me personally its mearly just another platform to get my name and style across the globe. Its like a walking tag!!!!!

^^I think that you have only mentioned two genres of streetwear. I think getting your message out is the goal for all of us, but it takes time. I have to remind myself of this sometimes!
May 19, 2008 @ 12:34 AM
IM KING

"streetwear cliche" tee's is another option from buying the corporate logo-based brands.
May 19, 2008 @ 12:47 AM
Transplat

I always thought it was weird how Complex called Hiroshi Fujiwara as the Godfather of streetwear?
May 19, 2008 @ 04:16 PM
HB ruin mylife

^^Bad analogy. Since you used music, so if I were a social conscience rapper I should put a song about gangbangin' on my album so people would listen to it? Come on... But you did bring up a point though.

no bro, you got it wrong,,,you dont need a gangbangin song to get play, just a song that heads that just bump in their car,,,and since you brung up a consience rapper,ill use one for example, earlier this year..... Talib Kweli's "Hot Thang", which def. gets more radio play than any of his other tracks......but like i said...... the average joe consumer comes for " Hot Thang " ,,, they stay for knowledge....... not the first time musicians have mixed up their lineup...

so like i said,,,just mix up your lineup of tee shirts to break through...
May 19, 2008 @ 04:17 PM
HB ruin mylife

I always thought it was weird how Complex called Hiroshi Fujiwara as the Godfather of streetwear?

if you can find another person to take that title,,,then by all means ,,,,,
May 19, 2008 @ 05:13 PM
Kick Rocks

no bro, you got it wrong,,,you dont need a gangbangin song to get play, just a song that heads that just bump in their car,,,and since you brung up a consience rapper,ill use one for example, earlier this year..... Talib Kweli's "Hot Thang", which def. gets more radio play than any of his other tracks......but like i said...... the average joe consumer comes for " Hot Thang " ,,, they stay for knowledge....... not the first time musicians have mixed up their lineup...

so like i said,,,just mix up your lineup of tee shirts to break through...

Now that you clarified I see your point HB. I can see how this would be beneficial, but there is a thin line between "mixing it up" and being inconsistant.
May 20, 2008 @ 03:48 PM
2Fresh2Clean

Isn't the word streetwear kinda cliche?
May 21, 2008 @ 07:08 PM
Kick Rocks

Isn't the word streetwear kinda cliche?

^^ What???
May 21, 2008 @ 07:17 PM
evers

the term streetwear to me is similar to the term neo-soul and the like. like who is the person who coined the term. in the 90's i dont really remember the term being thrown around with brands like stussy, 555 soul, live mechanics, etc. by creating a category inevitably you create characteristics that inevitably marks and sheep will follow to be a part of the movement/genre/category. maybe thats why we have an overabundance of guns, titties, and recycled rave wear. genre=formulaic. peeps that break the formula i consider independent...all-inclusive genre with no strings attached. dont worry tho...now that streetwear is on trend status it will eventually die, kloop will jump on the next cool guy ish and then you will have a gang of independent brands following no expectations and just being dope. sorry for length just saying.
May 21, 2008 @ 10:40 PM
+ FRESHIAM +

I think the problem is brands that want to be different don't focus on getting dope ass designers to convey their message properly. I mean everyone with illustrator or photoshop isn't a designer; a saw doesn't make you a carpenter, but if you have a dope ass idea for a table that nobody has never seen before, you give that saw to a carpenter to bring it to life, and you will get a dope ass table nobody has seen before.

Lets get this straight this is fashion and style, it's a visual market. No matter how conscious you are, you're still marketing to a visual customer. So if you can't get people to appreciate it within the first 10 seconds of seeing the product, you probably don't have a very good design/product. I mean you see it all the time for instance "crooks and castles" was doing okay about a year ago then all of a sudden, their line just became premium who ever the designer/artist they hired understood the concept and took it to the next level. The point is they recognized this and thats why they are doing really well now.

I mean the reason why guns, girls and slogans are doing so well is because somebody designed it right the first time, and people have broke it down and regurgitated the original genius they saw and loved. It can be more than guns, girls, and slogans you just have to create your own + GENIUS +

May 22, 2008 @ 06:28 PM
Kick Rocks

I think the problem is brands that want to be different don't focus on getting dope ass designers to convey their message properly. I mean everyone with illustrator or photoshop isn't a designer; a saw doesn't make you a carpenter, but if you have a dope ass idea for a table that nobody has never seen before, you give that saw to a carpenter to bring it to life, and you will get a dope ass table nobody has seen before.

Lets get this straight this is fashion and style, it's a visual market. No matter how conscious you are, you're still marketing to a visual customer. So if you can't get people to appreciate it within the first 10 seconds of seeing the product, you probably don't have a very good design/product. I mean you see it all the time for instance "crooks and castles" was doing okay about a year ago then all of a sudden, their line just became premium who ever the designer/artist they hired understood the concept and took it to the next level. The point is they recognized this and thats why they are doing really well now.

I mean the reason why guns, girls and slogans are doing so well is because somebody designed it right the first time, and people have broke it down and regurgitated the original genius they saw and loved. It can be more than guns, girls, and slogans you just have to create your own + GENIUS +

Freshiam I posted your comment on my blogsmile Anyway, I agree with you about hiring a good designer to make your designs better, but who can afford that? I think many of us are trying to create our own genius, I know I am, but it is an up hill battle. Fighting the machine isn't easy...
May 24, 2008 @ 10:41 AM
+ FRESHIAM +

Thanks man, I really think that there are artist all around us we just have to find them, and if that doesn't work just get some design books, art books just get your brain thinking in that format a good place to start is

+ www.youworkforthem.com

pretty cool website that gets in all the dope design books, and different other cool shit
May 24, 2008 @ 11:27 AM
UnUsualGeek78

You hit the nerve with this.. Its all about visually attracting the consumer and if you don't grab them within a few seconds, you wont.. when i posted my first shirt on here, KustomSneeks said it was to cliche and "google hip-hop" but i know Imma grab my audience or the attention of people that feels the message i display on my shirt.

Please login first to reply.