Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
November 9, 2007 @ 05:45 PM
stef_charle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seen as this section of the forum is starting to get cluttered with loads of random questions lately, post all your quick questions here rather than starting a new thread... Also, if you do not have a serious answer to a question, then please DO NOT POST

Naked Pimp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------]]

Did anyone else know this? I was looking to apply in the next little while but apparently only US based brands are eligible which i find kind of stupid. I was told its because of how shipping works but i thought the brand takes care of the shipping so i dont see what the problem is. I guess they could be worried about customs fee's or something but canadian customers have to pay fee's when the stuff comes from them so why not the other way around.

Anytime theres something good going on online it seems like its US only.
November 9, 2007 @ 07:03 PM
ektakrome

no YOU take care of the shipping, they sell it for you, but then send you the invoice and YOU are responsible for the shipping. But for the money they charge you every month and the amount of press and publicity...it's worth it.
November 9, 2007 @ 10:59 PM
stef_charle

no YOU take care of the shipping, they sell it for you, but then send you the invoice and YOU are responsible for the shipping. But for the money they charge you every month and the amount of press and publicity...it's worth it.

I know that we are responsible, thats what i was saying. I was saying i dont get why they would tell me its because of there shipping set up if im the one shipping it.
November 10, 2007 @ 01:09 AM

Inactive

I know that we are responsible, thats what i was saying. I was saying i dont get why they would tell me its because of there shipping set up if im the one shipping it.

It probably has to do with customs and taxes or maybe KL wants to keep everything domestic for a while before branching out and letting international brands join.
November 10, 2007 @ 10:30 AM
stef_charle

Im sure thats what it is, they emailed me back and said they have a setup with DHL that currently is only working with customers in the US. I guess we'll just have to work with other shops.
November 10, 2007 @ 10:34 AM
dnice

- Questions Thread -
I've got a design questions for you guys...

I'll take a photo, convert it to bitmap/halftone in Photoshop, and it'll look great. Then I'll open the same halftone image in Illustrator and all of a sudden the image is distorted, with a significant loss of clarify from the original? I thought the image distortion was on the screen only, so I printed the image from Illustrator and it still looks like crap. I also printed the same image from Photoshop for comparison's sake, and it looks GREAT.

I'm not resizing or doing anything else to the image besides just opening it Illustrator.

Anyone know why simply opening a halftone jpeg in Illustrator would cause a degrade in the quality of the image, and how to resolve the issue?
November 10, 2007 @ 10:54 AM
stef_charle

Im not sure if this is your answer as i havent tried it myself but do you have the halftone image at 300 dpi in photoshop? I think this could be the problem. Im not an illustrator expert but i believe everything defaults to 300 dpi so if you open a photoshop file that isnt 300 dpi theres a loss in quality.
November 10, 2007 @ 11:17 AM
dnice

Im not sure if this is your answer as i havent tried it myself but do you have the halftone image at 300 dpi in photoshop? I think this could be the problem. Im not an illustrator expert but i believe everything defaults to 300 dpi so if you open a photoshop file that isnt 300 dpi theres a loss in quality.

The image is Grayscale, 300 dpi and in jpeg format. It looks great in Photoshop, but turns to shit when I open it in Illustrator?
November 10, 2007 @ 11:52 AM
stef_charle

Hmm, im not sure then man. Im sure someone on the boards will be able to help you out. I actually am going to be doing the same thing soon so getting this answered will help me also.
November 10, 2007 @ 01:36 PM
Ozone

i dont know about the photoshop part, but why not try re-doing the whole thing in illustrator? just rastorize the photo 300 dpi, then go to pixelate>color halftone. set all the angles to 45 and the max size to whatever you want.
November 10, 2007 @ 02:03 PM
Tyski

Tshirt printers?
Hey, new to printin here,
Anyone know where I can go to print a custom tee? Most sites online restrict the size/area of the print, and i doubt ill be able to stencil this design i got and paint it on myself since its pretty elaborate.

Thanks for any suggestions
November 10, 2007 @ 04:08 PM
modernART

For brands on the Kazbah that are U.S. based, it works out well because shipping within the U.S. using USPS priority costs $4.60 (equivalent to about 1 t-shirt). The shipping price is included in the markup price the brand sets. However, if an order is going to an international customer, Karmaloop itself covers shipping charges and all the brand does is ship the products without using money from their own pockets.

If an international brand were on the Kazbah, their markup price would be significantly high, espcially since most customers are from the U.S. (believe me, i know).

I guess at the end of the day, it's just more complicated for an international-based brand to be on the kazbah because the logistics aren't there yet, but knowing the heads over at karmaloop and the kazbah, I'm pretty sure they'll think of a plan to suit international brand owners in the future.
November 11, 2007 @ 08:24 AM
dnice

i dont know about the photoshop part, but why not try re-doing the whole thing in illustrator? just rastorize the photo 300 dpi, then go to pixelate>color halftone. set all the angles to 45 and the max size to whatever you want.

I'm not creating a color halftone, I'm creating a grayscale bitmap halftone. I tried rasterize > bitmap in Illustrator, but you can't set the frequency/angle settings that way.

I tried something new...I just saved the bitmap halftone as an .eps file, opened it in Illustrator, printed the image...and it still looks the same as the .jpg file...like crap. Yet when I print the original bitmap halftone .psd file in Photoshop it looks great?
November 11, 2007 @ 09:47 AM
stef_charle

Do you have to have the psd brought into illustrator? What if you just made the image the size you want it to be when printed on the shirt and then save it as a bmp or whatever and just give that to the printer?

Personally i think thats the route i will be taking.
November 11, 2007 @ 11:42 AM
dnice

Do you have to have the psd brought into illustrator? What if you just made the image the size you want it to be when printed on the shirt and then save it as a bmp or whatever and just give that to the printer?

Personally i think thats the route i will be taking.

I'm only using Photoshop to create the bitmap halftone...then I'm either saving it as a .jpg or .eps file and opening the image in Illustrator to add text and other graphics for the final design. I'm not trying to open the bitmap halftone file as a .psd file in Illustrator.

How does everyone else that works with halftones in t-shirt designs do it??
November 11, 2007 @ 11:43 AM
RecruitZero

a Marketing question for you all
Whatup, this is Recruit Zero again, and first and foremost if you haven't, check out our previous post ( i think its on page 2 of this section of the forum right now) and hit us with some feedback on designs!

I was just wondering what kind of marketing people here do. Specifically, has anyone here done anything out of the ordinary to market their brand? like publicity stunt type of stuff, not your run of the mill advertising in magazines or e-zines. If you have, would you say it was worth it?

any responses are appreciated.
November 11, 2007 @ 12:46 PM
kyoru

what the fuck? the customer service lady told me they accept brands from cananda...and I already applied...
November 11, 2007 @ 01:05 PM
modernART

Thanks for keeping it on topic and not spending two pages arguing about the most widely used language Modern. I guess it makes sense im just a bit disappointed as it seems like getting on karmaloop is a huge move to make when your starting out. I know its still possible to become a successful brand without it but id still like to of had the shot to get on.

If there's enough demand for international brands requesting to be on the kazbah, i'm sure it will happen.

the kazbah never offered international shipping until about 3 months ago, so some changes will probably come to suit international brand owners.
November 11, 2007 @ 02:38 PM
stef_charle

what the fuck? the customer service lady told me they accept brands from cananda...and I already applied...

See ive read this before but then i was going through brands the other day and didnt see one from canada so i thought id ask. I rememered someone saying they were told we could apply before.

the guy i talked to was Blake.....you should shoot him an email at blake (@) karmaloop.com and see whats up.
November 11, 2007 @ 02:54 PM
Half+Half

Find your segment - analyse your segment - find out ways to communicate with your segment - make your segment want your products - sell your product to the segment.

This is some basic marketing. If you wanna know more read some books.

I can't give you any really good advice since i don't know your segment nor what your company stands for etc. etc.
November 11, 2007 @ 03:19 PM
pookeyblow

Do a business plan.. its boring and hard, but worth it!
November 11, 2007 @ 03:47 PM
C&P Ducci

a business plan is actually really easy to make...

Business plans can be thorough and very indepth, and I wouldn't consider a proper business plan as "easy" if you have done it right.
November 11, 2007 @ 04:24 PM
RecruitZero

yea thanks alot for the responses, ppl.

Books! lol that was the first thing we did, after we thought of our name and image, just straight up read marketing books for months. Marketing, branding, psychology, you name it. We're workin on a business plan right now, and it already has helped out.

Garrisyndrome, i don't mean "wacky," i guess a better description would be unconventional or guerilla-marketing. My bad. One easy example would be 10 deep putting stickers all over nyc, or something like that.

To those of you who have got into stores (however few of you are out there), you guys just got in without doing anything aside from your basic word of mouth, myspace, etc?
November 11, 2007 @ 06:10 PM
Half+Half

yea thanks alot for the responses, ppl.

Books! lol that was the first thing we did, after we thought of our name and image, just straight up read marketing books for months. Marketing, branding, psychology, you name it. We're workin on a business plan right now, and it already has helped out.

Garrisyndrome, i don't mean "wacky," i guess a better description would be unconventional or guerilla-marketing. My bad. One easy example would be 10 deep putting stickers all over nyc, or something like that.

To those of you who have got into stores (however few of you are out there), you guys just got in without doing anything aside from your basic word of mouth, myspace, etc?

And the only thing to do.

If you wanna get into stores (literally, not just e-business stores) it will help you a lot if you already got some connections like if you know someone who already has a store etc etc.

If you don't have any connection its a bid harder. But you can try just walk into a store and be straight up - show them your stuff and if it's good they'll probably wanna make business with you. Tell them about your line and about you company. But call them in advance and plan your visit so you know they got time to listen and look. Also setting up a meeting seems more professional than just showing up randomly. Also plan what you're gonna say so when the meeting begins you sound and look confident and professional. It's all about the first hand impression when you do this kind of stuff. You want them to see you as legit and a good business partner, so try not to look and act like a bum. Your salesman skillz comes into play here.

If you wanna make good profits look up the stores with different shops all over the country. But only do this if you know you can produce high amounts of clothing.

And remember it's on the streets you make it big - not the internet. Get your stuff into "real" stores. most stores also got a webshop so you can enter the e-business that way.
November 11, 2007 @ 08:57 PM
RecruitZero

half+half , that was exactly our thoughts. Good to know some people up in here think similarly...we don't have any connections to stores, which is why we wanna outmarket these other cats tryna start brands.

but yeah, if anyone is IN an actual physical store...did u do alot of marketing or nah?
November 11, 2007 @ 09:46 PM
Half+Half

half+half , that was exactly our thoughts. Good to know some people up in here think similarly...we don't have any connections to stores, which is why we wanna outmarket these other cats tryna start brands.

but yeah, if anyone is IN an actual physical store...did u do alot of marketing or nah?

we did some promotion at different events that we knew our segment was coming to. We gave out free logo shirts etc. etc. Nothing expensive.

What really made it for us though was the mouth to mouth, and the owners of shops were really helpfull in getting that started.

And when you got the mouth to mouth thing going the "hype" begins and if it goes well a lot of shops want to carry you in no time. But just don't put your stuff in any shop. Be selective because if your shit ends up in the wrong shops your rep and brand can be destroyed really fast. And rebranding a product is very, very hard.

But connection is badass to have. If you got good connection you'll succeed at anything and everything. If you got ANY or maybe just ONE that might help you go ask them.
November 12, 2007 @ 01:47 PM
TTG518x

i'm definitely not an expert on this subject, but maybe just use the shitty looking file in illustrator as a placeholder, do all the other stuff on top of it that you want...then export the stuff you made in illustrator to photoshop to put it together with the halftone that looks good.

i would hope there is a better solution than that, but it's an option i suppose!
November 12, 2007 @ 03:52 PM
Gone Corporate

I'm only using Photoshop to create the bitmap halftone...then I'm either saving it as a .jpg or .eps file and opening the image in Illustrator to add text and other graphics for the final design. I'm not trying to open the bitmap halftone file as a .psd file in Illustrator.

How does everyone else that works with halftones in t-shirt designs do it??

after you convert it to halftone, save it as a .tif, not a .jpg or .eps

you can even drag & drop the file from photoshop to illustrator after you halftone it...
November 12, 2007 @ 06:51 PM
joshinvincible

yeah, i just did a halftone shirt today. I dragged it from PS, and pasted it in illly. I then live traced the halftones, to vector it, came out real nice.
November 12, 2007 @ 11:23 PM
trenzza

Start out with at least 5-10 designs, get them moched up or put together a catalog, approach local retail shops for consignment deals, get some shirts printed up and in the stores for a test market, get the shirts on the web, SEO SEO SEO, post in forums, myspace, social networking, shall I go on?

Please login first to reply.