Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
October 23, 2007 @ 03:16 AM
defjef

im not sure if this should be in this thread but i was just wondering if any of you trying to design a new label ever taken up extra education or a course for example graphic design? what course do u reckon would help the most in designing streetwear design clothing? does it help alot?
October 23, 2007 @ 11:27 AM
Greedo

i'm in the process of getting a bachelors degree in Fashion merch. I learned most of my graphic design skills during an internship..so i'de try to find an internship with a graphic designer that is willing to help you start from scratch..it'll be hard to find one though. Art classes help too..with color selection, placement on the canvas ( T-shirt) , and so much more

and if you're going to college..major in ..fashion design, business, fashion business, or graphic design..it just depends on what you want to do with the brand
October 23, 2007 @ 11:41 AM
r0k

i'm in the process of getting a bachelors degree in Fashion merch. I learned most of my graphic design skills during an internship..so i'de try to find an internship with a graphic designer that is willing to help you start from scratch..it'll be hard to find one though. Art classes help too..with color selection, placement on the canvas ( T-shirt) , and so much more

and if you're going to college..major in ..fashion design, business, fashion business, or graphic design..it just depends on what you want to do with the brand

solid advice....but at the same time just learn as much as you can about fashion and design.....pay attention to trends whether they are old or new....follow it and absorb as much as you can...
October 23, 2007 @ 12:06 PM
Evol Rocx

Most of it can be self taught with enough patience. Get down with Photoshop and Illustrator. Then, hop online and try some of the many tutorials available .

You just need to play around with the programs and get comfortable. From there get the creative juices flowing and put something together. Hope that helped.

-E
October 23, 2007 @ 01:24 PM
jst

right...and also visit adobe.com for tutorials...there are videotutorials for all cs3 applications
October 23, 2007 @ 08:02 PM
Greedo

and read about David Gensler and the "Mash Culture"..he's amazing.

learning how to Trend forecast is very important too..i'm not very good at it though..it allows you to know what trends are coming back from the past..for instance..we are getting out of 80's inspired trends and colors, so early 90's will come back..like plaid button ups, most likely in luxerious colors that have been slightly saturated..just look at the new stuff from Homeroom..there's alot of aspects to the business, right now i'm soaking it all in developing a name, gaining a following in my hometown, and preparing a collection for when i graduate. being patient is another thing people need to do...it's easy to go out and spend money on a bad design.
October 23, 2007 @ 08:10 PM
defjef

thnx guys that helped heepssmile

Please login first to reply.