Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
September 5, 2007 @ 12:24 AM
kranium

any help i get from you guys will be GREATLY appreciated

I'm planning to go to times square with a few of my friends for one weekend but i'm not sure how i'm going to get there, the costs, and what stores will be around the area. I've never been to new york before and it's going to be my first time actually planning a trip like this. What should I do to start preparing? I'm planning to go sometime in november and I hope to have a plan set by the end of the week. i might end up asking a ton of questions, seeing as i've never done this before, but i just want this to go perfectly. again, i greatly appreciate any help i get from anyone!
September 5, 2007 @ 12:49 AM
adrian

Maybe you should post this in the USA thread? You might get more replies there, from people in New York.
September 5, 2007 @ 01:07 AM
jr456

are you driving? on your way back wear as much of your clothes at one time lol.. their gona make u pay more if you spend alot. depending on how long you stay over the boarder or somthing crazy like that lol.. i cant remember.. they'll check your recipts and shit
September 5, 2007 @ 05:46 AM
September 5, 2007 @ 09:23 AM
Gmas

I'm not sure where you live, but if you can drive to the States fairly easily and fly from there it's usually MUCH cheaper. I'm in Toronto and whenever I go, we drive to Buffalo and fly from there on JetBlue; it's always less than half of what it would be flying from Toronto. Flights have always been under $150 Cdn return.

If you're into sneakers/streetwear, there's not a ton of stuff around Times Square. Most of the shops will be in and around the SoHo area which is well south of Times Square. I found Times Square was cool to see, but I don't think I'd want to spend much more than an hour or so there. It's extremely touristy and has the same stores as everywhere else in the world.

For hotels you can find some pretty cheap if you're not picky. Look into Priceline and Hotwire where you bid for rooms.
September 5, 2007 @ 11:08 AM
Supreme_Bape

^yeah there isn't much to do at Times Square as far as shopping goes, everytime I go to NYC I just go to soho, I usually stay at hotels out side of Manhattan, usually in New Jersey
September 5, 2007 @ 01:00 PM
goatfacekillah

i booked on priceline
ended up at the Roosevelt for $120/night
September 5, 2007 @ 07:00 PM
Supreme_Bape

i booked on priceline
ended up at the Roosevelt for $120/night

wow thats a very good price, was this in the off season?
September 5, 2007 @ 09:12 PM
kranium

driving i think would be out of the question now since i just found out that the only person that can drive south of the border wouldn't even be allowed to bring her car. i think we're just gonna end up taking the greyhound unless there's another transit system i can use... anyone know how much it would cost me? i live in toronto btw [sorry i shoulda mentioned it before =_=]

i actually looked up superfuture for the maps but i wasn't sure which area was closest to times square.. my friends really wanted to go there but we also needed to figure out which area had the most in terms of streetwear and sneakers. someone mentioned that soho was well south of times square so it seems like my best bet, but how far is soho from times square, and is there a transit system we can take that'll take us there quickly?

i'll check out priceline and hotwire for hotels.. thanks for the help so far!
September 5, 2007 @ 09:19 PM

Inactive

Yeah, from timesquare, you can hop on the V train which would take you into soho, and you can get off at lafayette/broadway and find all the stores from there. I think it's $2 for a single ride ticket which is good for 2 hours.
September 5, 2007 @ 09:40 PM
MystaX

since you will be near times sq, u could take the N or the R to Prince St/Broadway... from there you are already like a block or so from supreme and clientele, and from that area you can hit nort/recon, stussy, union, kid robot, uniqolo... check out the NY Stores list on this site and it should have the locations for you... i also recommend Reedspace and Alife, but they are further down
September 5, 2007 @ 09:40 PM
Gmas

Just fly man, it's so cheap. You DO NOT want to have a car in NYC.

a) you'll get RAPED on parking
b) there's traffic EVERYWHERE
c) it will be much harder to try and find where you're going than taking transit

As for transit there, I've always just bought subway day passes for $7/day. Subway/bus can get you pretty much anywhere.
September 5, 2007 @ 10:55 PM
big-ticket

if u want to travel by bus. just hit up pacific mall or first markham place and join one of those chinese NYC shopping tour. its cheap and u can pick where u wanna go. well basically u can ask for that 3 day shopping NYC tour. u'll have all the time u need. once u get to NYC. the first day they will drop ppl off at a street near rockfella center. from there u can just tell the tour guide u r not goin to stay with them for the whole day. then u can walk around on ur own. take the subway or taxi to SOHO and do mad shopping there. just ask the tour guide wut time to meet up for the ride back to the hotel at nite. its as easy as that.
September 5, 2007 @ 11:37 PM
kranium

checked out priceline and hotwire for hotels and it says on both sites that i can't check into a hotel unless i'm 21 with a piece of ID on me.. this is a big problem since my friends and i are still 19 or 20 and i don't turn 21 till january >_<... now i have to try to find a way to get around that... are they strict about this sort of stuff?
September 6, 2007 @ 02:12 AM
deejaycc

I'm sure they are, at bigger hotels and such if you find a run down cheap motel to crash in I'm sure they won't mind your a year under their policy
September 6, 2007 @ 08:54 AM
clifford

Just fly man, it's so cheap. You DO NOT want to have a car in NYC.

a) you'll get RAPED on parking
b) there's traffic EVERYWHERE
c) it will be much harder to try and find where you're going than taking transit

As for transit there, I've always just bought subway day passes for $7/day. Subway/bus can get you pretty much anywhere.

No doubt, I ususually park the car in BK and take the subway into Manhattan.

To dude, if you're going to Manhattan be prepared to travel a lot, all the shops are in diff areas. Deff hit up Soho...Grenich Village is a waste of time IMO unless you want to chill at trendy food spots. There's also a few good outlets outside the city too...Jersey Gardens and Woodbury Commons Outlet. You can take a shuttle bus like every 30 mins from Manhattan so look that up.

Check out some malls too, but the good ones are mainly in the other buroughs.
September 6, 2007 @ 10:42 PM
DrewDogg

jersey gardens and woodbury were crap when i went to them.
September 7, 2007 @ 12:27 AM
clifford

it all depends what you're looking for...I just came from both malls and copped a bunch a sh1t.
September 7, 2007 @ 12:31 AM
Supreme_Bape

it also depends on when you are going usually there are better sales during holiday's and long weekends...
September 7, 2007 @ 12:08 PM
deathbynewwave

i stayed at the cosmopolitan in tribeca and im over 21, but they never asked me for ID to check that.

it was super cheap and nice too. across the street from a hotel and like a 20 minute walk up broadway to places like supreme
September 7, 2007 @ 12:50 PM
clifford

it also depends on when you are going usually there are better sales during holiday's and long weekends...

yup, you can't just go anytime, u have to go during a major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, labour day).

The Nike Outlet at Woodbury has really gone downhill though. Jersey Gardens one is pretty decent.
September 7, 2007 @ 11:00 PM
DrewDogg

alright, i'll take your word for it fellas.

woodbury, i really can't imagine what you guys found there.

jersey gardens, maybe some shit.

what DID you cop?
September 8, 2007 @ 01:25 PM
clifford

alright, i'll take your word for it fellas.

woodbury, i really can't imagine what you guys found there.

jersey gardens, maybe some shit.

what DID you cop?

i've copped quite a few things in the past...this time i copped a bunch of work clothes...button ups from polo for $15, button up and pants from Brooks Brothers. Lacoste had some deals too.

Like i said, it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for "street" gear then don't bother going.
September 8, 2007 @ 02:50 PM
goatfacekillah

wow thats a very good price, was this in the off season?

end of July
dunno if that's off season or not
went down for the Rock The Bells show

my friends ended up at the UN Plaza hotel for $185 a night
between 3 ppl
September 29, 2007 @ 09:29 AM
glassjaw

if u want to travel by bus. just hit up pacific mall or first markham place and join one of those chinese NYC shopping tour. its cheap and u can pick where u wanna go. well basically u can ask for that 3 day shopping NYC tour. u'll have all the time u need. once u get to NYC. the first day they will drop ppl off at a street near rockfella center. from there u can just tell the tour guide u r not goin to stay with them for the whole day. then u can walk around on ur own. take the subway or taxi to SOHO and do mad shopping there. just ask the tour guide wut time to meet up for the ride back to the hotel at nite. its as easy as that.

How much is the ride/return?
September 29, 2007 @ 10:01 AM

Inactive

Thread moved to USA sub-forum.

Please login first to reply.