Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
March 24, 2010 @ 04:22 PM
DENN!S

concepts is the sh!t. one of the best stores in mass. period.

DiamondSupplyCo.com || @DennisTodisco on everything

March 25, 2010 @ 01:37 PM
Chedda_BLC

Good looks, D. I see yall making moves over that side of the river too.

I found the poser comment kind of odd. I am pretty sure you are not a regular customer. I think our staff is so diverse it would be impossible to call any of them posing. Seriously we have people from all walks of life, and they all are pretty true to their lifestyle (whatever that may be).
March 25, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
blunt_trauma

you're right chedda i am not a regular customer, but when i say poser i don't mean the people themselves, but more of the store, i am sure this has been brought up before so i guess i am just reitterating what's already been said...
concepts (not tannery) for me is way too all over the place when its comes to branding and image. On one end of the spectrum u guys have high end semi dressy shit like CDG, visvim, headporter, clarks, clot and then on the other spectrum u guys have jordans, idiom, skateboards, nike SBs, and vans... why not put all the high end shit in the tannery and leave concepts as the sneaker/skate shop? I mean u guys are great when it comes to accounts and collabs, but since getting a certain brand account isn't a problem for yall maybe less could be more?
March 25, 2010 @ 03:02 PM
DENN!S

^ i think there's a lot of crossover appeal between mixing premium and streetwear. Plenty of people wear clarks, cdg, or visvim one day and then a pair of nikes or vans the next. It's all about balance and mixing it up.

this may not be the best fit...but point in case:

March 25, 2010 @ 04:14 PM
TJXenos

TJ, If it is the one I think you are talking about I believe it is like 435.00ish. Shoot me a text if you need one and I will let you know exactly.

Thongstealer, I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the shop. I can assure you that is not the type of impression we want to leave on our customers. I am going to shoot you a PM and hopefully we can discuss this a little further.

Personally I can say I have received a lot of valuable feedback from people on here. Thats why I check it and respond when I can.

Im good, I really just wanted to say "the gucci that looks like a cross between a delta force and a safari"
March 25, 2010 @ 09:55 PM
drifter

^ i think there's a lot of crossover appeal between mixing premium and streetwear. Plenty of people wear clarks, cdg, or visvim one day and then a pair of nikes or vans the next. It's all about balance and mixing it up.

this may not be the best fit...but point in case:

drake never fails to have the goofiest face in every picture.
March 25, 2010 @ 09:56 PM
drifter

you're right chedda i am not a regular customer, but when i say poser i don't mean the people themselves, but more of the store, i am sure this has been brought up before so i guess i am just reitterating what's already been said...
concepts (not tannery) for me is way too all over the place when its comes to branding and image. On one end of the spectrum u guys have high end semi dressy shit like CDG, visvim, headporter, clarks, clot and then on the other spectrum u guys have jordans, idiom, skateboards, nike SBs, and vans... why not put all the high end shit in the tannery and leave concepts as the sneaker/skate shop? I mean u guys are great when it comes to accounts and collabs, but since getting a certain brand account isn't a problem yall maybe less could be more?

honestly, if anything that shows that its shoppers are posers. A store for the most part, caters to its clientele so if dudes are buying Gucci shoes while wearing Stussy shirts, then their gonna sell em both in the same store. it is what it is.
March 25, 2010 @ 11:31 PM
blunt_trauma

i just think that inorder for them to build up their brand and seriously contend with the likes of huf,the hundreds,supreme, clientele,even bodega they really need to take their shop in one direction and run with it... otherwise they'll always be a store that just stocks the hyped item at the moment

i mean what do yall think when concepts comes to mind? sneaker store? skate shop? high end retailer? its all kinda jumbled together
March 26, 2010 @ 07:07 AM
Chedda_BLC

DT, Good example.

BT, I can see where you are coming from. Our foundation at Concepts is snow, skate, and culture. We have always prided ourselves on showcasing product from multiple genres. Many of the stores you compared us to carry a lot of similar product. I dont know how old you are, but if you were around back in 1996 there were really not too many stores like Concepts around (if any). Thats even a little before my time with the company to be honest. I think we accurately represent the lifestyle of our customer(s). Being located in Harvard Square brings us a very diverse crowd our way. From your hustler type street dude buying Jordans, to Harvard Professors buying RRL bags and Chuck Taylors, and everything in between.
March 26, 2010 @ 07:49 PM
GeTthaKY

concepts (not tannery) for me is way too all over the place when its comes to branding and image. On one end of the spectrum u guys have high end semi dressy shit like CDG, visvim, headporter, clarks, clot and then on the other spectrum u guys have jordans, idiom, skateboards, nike SBs, and vans... why not put all the high end shit in the tannery and leave concepts as the sneaker/skate shop? I mean u guys are great when it comes to accounts and collabs, but since getting a certain brand account isn't a problem for yall maybe less could be more?

Holy fuckin shit man, I cannot disagree with you more. If anyone knows anything about the retail business, or general principles of Business 101, one would know that catering to all different types of consumers is a great thing for business. Variety is a good thing my friend.

Now, first, name a store, ONE store that carries the variety of products that Concepts does all under ONE roof. When it comes to footwear, there's not much you can't get, they carry general athletic footwear (Nike Tier 0, Nike SB, Jordan, Adidas, New Balance, Adidas, Converse, etc.) while carrying high-end footwear (YSL, Visvim, Gucci) and then where they can stop there, they also carry general affordable shoes as well (Clarks, Timberland, Gourmet). Concepts caters to the young, the old, sneakerheards, fashionistas or even the average casual adult looking for a pair of comfortable walking shoes. The accounts and products that Concepts carry all in the same store is unheard of. Name a store where you can purchase a pair of basketball sneakers, skateboarding sneakers, and Gucci sandals without stepping foot outside the store. As a consumer, there's nothing more convenient then fulfilling all your footwear needs or doing all your shopping at one location.

i just think that inorder for them to build up their brand and seriously contend with the likes of huf,the hundreds,supreme, clientele,even bodega they really need to take their shop in one direction and run with it... otherwise they'll always be a store that just stocks the hyped item at the moment

i mean what do yall think when concepts comes to mind? sneaker store? skate shop? high end retailer? its all kinda jumbled together

Second, are you shittin me? Huf/Supreme are skate-shops (good luck finding a pair of shoes for the club), Clientele closed, Bodega has nowhere near the variety that Concepts does, The Hundreds is a clothing brand, not a retailer, not to mention they are turning into another Crooks (nothing wrong with that, get that money!), so comparing The Hundreds to Concepts is kind of like comparing the style of play of Tim Duncan and Lebron.

Third, if you question the direction that Concepts has taken, do me a favor and check out their website and click on the "about" tab. Notice where it says "Concepts provides consumers with a complete retail experience."? I respect your opinion and don't mean to come off as a dick but I give props where props is due. With all bias aside, I actually consider Concepts one of the top lifestyle/streetwear stores in the world because of their variety (seriously, SB, Jordan and Gucci under one roof!confused
March 27, 2010 @ 09:15 AM
KP$

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Concepts opened by Vinnie Ponte originally?

On another note, where is the best heavy white t-shirt in boston?

its getting to be about that season and I dont feel like ebaying proclubs or w/e.
March 27, 2010 @ 11:54 AM
drifter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Concepts opened by Vinnie Ponte originally?

On another note, where is the best heavy white t-shirt in boston?

its getting to be about that season and I dont feel like ebaying proclubs or w/e.

Ponte runs Rival, all i know is obviously Concepts is a sub-company of the tannery, but judging from what the tannery offers and the owners of the tannery, someone different and especially from the skayting community, must have stepped in and ran with the idea at first.
March 28, 2010 @ 10:31 AM
BRKLYN BANKS

Hell' Yeah! Big Vinny is my man he opened Concepts up back in the day when he was going to school up there. Brought that NYC feel with him to the Bean. From what I have seen Concepts was more focus backed then the brands were geared to a more specific customer. less about try'n to cater to everyone and more about being core. It's all good... Support your local sk8 shop, big up to Orchard!
March 28, 2010 @ 10:58 PM
drifter

Hell' Yeah! Big Vinny is my man he opened Concepts up back in the day when he was going to school up there. Brought that NYC feel with him to the Bean. From what I have seen Concepts was more focus backed then the brands were geared to a more specific customer. less about try'n to cater to everyone and more about being core. It's all good... Support your local sk8 shop, big up to Orchard!

Yea, i'd have to say Orchard is the only true skate shop left in Boston, throwing a few decks on your wall doesnt make you a skate shop, like some of these "boutiques" think.

I've also found that skate shops are the best place for great deals. I'll find the same exact shoes at Orchard that are at another shop like Karmaloop. And there will sometimes be a $30 price difference.

Definitely stopping by Orchard tomorrow.
April 2, 2010 @ 10:52 AM
DENN!S

I've also found that skate shops are the best place for great deals. I'll find the same exact shoes at Orchard that are at another shop like Karmaloop. And there will sometimes be a $30 price difference.

We sell everything for the suggested retail. If something is $30 less (which is a HUGE difference), it had to been marked down by Orchard.

We also have some legit sales...check www.twitter.com/karmaloopboston

April 2, 2010 @ 05:19 PM
blunt_trauma

yo concepts are u getting these?
www.schuh-you.com/Nike-Air-180-Weiss-Schwarz-Gelb
April 2, 2010 @ 09:02 PM
Tagger126

Yo Whats good with the Skunk Highs? Concepts is getting them im assuming ?

On another note any one sellig BMX Parts? or where the Bmx shops at
April 3, 2010 @ 12:36 AM
AfroNinja

hypebeast.com/2010/04/balance-1500-japanimation-pack/

Will these be available at Concepts?
April 3, 2010 @ 02:02 PM
drifter

We sell everything for the suggested retail. If something is $30 less (which is a HUGE difference), it had to been marked down by Orchard.

We also have some legit sales...check www.twitter.com/karmaloopboston

That wasn't meant to be an attack on you guys. I was going off of a legit time when I saw some Supras with the price different. You guys actually later on did have the shoes for the same price due to a sale. So i wasnt trying to bash you guys.

Just fact is, skate shops usually are cheaper, really dont care how, really dont care why, but I remember going to Eastern Boarder when I was in central mass and picking up decent shoes, including Nike Sb's for $30-40 and then picking up some etnies for my girl at the time for $20.

It just doesnt get better than that, you go to some stores and even if they are going out of business they still wont give you deals like that.

Skate shops just seem more in tuned with what the buyer, atleast when i use to visit them frequently.

I think more stores just need to realize if you sell 500 items at $20 a piece as compared to 200 at $40, sure it has be economical and what not, but a lot of times stores are only about the bottomline and dont realize, selling more items at a lower profit margin in the long run can have a larger impact.
April 3, 2010 @ 02:38 PM
DENN!S

That wasn't meant to be an attack on you guys. I was going off of a legit time when I saw some Supras with the price different. You guys actually later on did have the shoes for the same price due to a sale. So i wasnt trying to bash you guys.

Just fact is, skate shops usually are cheaper, really dont care how, really dont care why, but I remember going to Eastern Boarder when I was in central mass and picking up decent shoes, including Nike Sb's for $30-40 and then picking up some etnies for my girl at the time for $20.

It just doesnt get better than that, you go to some stores and even if they are going out of business they still wont give you deals like that.

Skate shops just seem more in tuned with what the buyer, atleast when i use to visit them frequently.

I think more stores just need to realize if you sell 500 items at $20 a piece as compared to 200 at $40, sure it has be economical and what not, but a lot of times stores are only about the bottomline and dont realize, selling more items at a lower profit margin in the long run can have a larger impact.

No shots/insult taken homie.

(And no insult to your intelligence if you already know this, but) Just to further explain it a little...and this is generally speaking...every store pays the same price wholesale (as long as it is a direct account) for the same item and marks it up, generally speaking, 50%.

Our Supras are always at the suggested MSRP on release. cool

(and trust me Supra does not want to see their product sold for less than that universally speaking and regardless of what type of account the store is - skate/street/urban/etc)

April 3, 2010 @ 10:26 PM
drifter

No shots/insult taken homie.

(And no insult to your intelligence if you already know this, but) Just to further explain it a little...and this is generally speaking...every store pays the same price wholesale (as long as it is a direct account) for the same item and marks it up, generally speaking, 50%.

Our Supras are always at the suggested MSRP on release. cool

(and trust me Supra does not want to see their product sold for less than that universally speaking and regardless of what type of account the store is - skate/street/urban/etc)

Nah, I understand the whole setup and even at one point in my life had to handle some of those aspects for a shop.

But now that I don't have to do that and I'm just a customer, my bottomline has changed to, getting the best deal.

Most of the time, when I did pickup from Eastern Boarder for low prices it was their clearance, so these shoes sometimes could have been upto a year old if they were sitting at their warehouse long enough. Which is why they sold them so cheap, to just get rid of em.

My point in general, was the fact that skate shops as compared to other stores, dont seem like just a store front. Where you go in to get shoes or clothes. Usually, it is more, like discussing skating, which leads to other bullshit.

I guess (Karmaloop and others) are at a disadvantage, due to the fact that, most of the customers are only there to buy clothes and shoes. They aren't there to chat it up and then go for a skate session or something with the worker after. Which in turn takes away an aspect for us locals. Just random thoughts, i always critique business' and what can be done.

But back to some clothing, any shops getting some hot summer clothes? Like light/nice button ups, shorts etc. If so when, i want to hit up a couple shops in one day this week.
April 4, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

Who are some of the best Tatt artist in Boston area? anyone know
April 6, 2010 @ 07:26 PM
terrellnrthcrk

Yo, who got in/is getting the Spring 2010 Vans Vault Taka Hayashi joints?

Also Mike Shea at Redemption on Mass Ave in Cambridge (right by the Somerville line) holds it down for ink.
April 8, 2010 @ 01:10 AM
DENN!S

I guess (Karmaloop and others) are at a disadvantage, due to the fact that, most of the customers are only there to buy clothes and shoes. They aren't there to chat it up and then go for a skate session or something with the worker after. Which in turn takes away an aspect for us locals. Just random thoughts, i always critique business' and what can be done.

Quite the contrary. Most of our staff skates, some of them are actually mad talented, and everyone in there is mad chill. I know plenty of customers who just go in there to kick it. I think you need to go back in and chop it up with the homies...ask for Luke or Brian or Kobe.

Sidenote: if anybody came through to meet up with the Bad Rabbits or Yelawolf last week or just was in there to grab a brew and some pizza...we uploaded all the pics on Facebook. Feel free to tag yourself: www.facebook.com/Karmaloop?v=photos#!/album.php?aid=160606&id=6560321844

April 12, 2010 @ 11:44 PM
terrellnrthcrk

Yo, who got in/is getting the Spring 2010 Vans Vault Taka Hayashi joints?

Anyone?

Also, same question Spring 2010 Black Scale.
April 14, 2010 @ 09:23 AM
Chedda_BLC

To everyone that has hit me up about the Skunk SB High's, yes Concepts will be getting them. Not really much I can do to hold those that asked for a pair down though. We will be dropping them on 4/20.
April 14, 2010 @ 11:22 PM
drifter

To everyone that has hit me up about the Skunk SB High's, yes Concepts will be getting them. Not really much I can do to hold those that asked for a pair down though. We will be dropping them on 4/20.

If those sell out quick on the first day, I will be surprised. They are butt ugly shoes and that money could be better spent on something else, especially on 4/20.
April 15, 2010 @ 07:06 AM
Chedda_BLC

^^ Drifter, I am not a huge fan of the shoe either, but I can tell you that it is going to sell out day one. There is a pretty big buzz for these right now. I would be shocked if everywhere didnt sell out day one. All the burger flippers should be out trying to snatch up extra pairs.
April 15, 2010 @ 11:44 AM
drifter

^^ Drifter, I am not a huge fan of the shoe either, but I can tell you that it is going to sell out day one. There is a pretty big buzz for these right now. I would be shocked if everywhere didnt sell out day one. All the burger flippers should be out trying to snatch up extra pairs.

Eh, idk, I think partially what causes the buzz is you stating that and us talking about it. It's kind of like Sarah Palin, if all her haters just stfu about her and ignored her, she'd be nothing but an airhead from Alaska.

But if people like it, then thats cool.

Whats good with those Limited Ray-bans they look nice, what are they $250 a pair?
April 15, 2010 @ 12:55 PM
Chedda_BLC

Trust me I dont like to hype anything up. It only makes my job tougher. The shoes I love the most are the sleepers that come in and end up selling like crazy without the hype. Like are yall up on those Crocs for cool kids yet? They are called Native and they are basically Crocs that are modeled to look like Converse and/or Vans. Literally the hottest seller we have in the shop right now. Absolutely flying off the shelves.

The Ray Bans are dope. They are actually like 400.00 retail. I think we only have like one or two pairs left though, they have been moving.

Please login first to reply.